HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 3:25 AM

I would expect it would be on a Province by Province basis since drivers' licences and vehicle licensing are in Provincial jurisdiction, not Federal jurisdiction.
The WSDOT guy could be talking in generalities when he says "Canadian" this or that (i.e. there's also not such thing as a "Canadian plate".

But that doesn't explain libtard receiving a bill from NY. Then only thing that comes to mind is if the NY example is the state government itself issuing the bill, whereas in Washington, they use a contractor. The issue could be disclosure to a contractor versus another government entity.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 4:58 AM
Dahvie Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
I would expect it would be on a Province by Province basis since drivers' licences and vehicle licensing are in Provincial jurisdiction, not Federal jurisdiction.
The WSDOT guy could be talking in generalities when he says "Canadian" this or that (i.e. there's also not such thing as a "Canadian plate".

But that doesn't explain libtard receiving a bill from NY. Then only thing that comes to mind is if the NY example is the state government itself issuing the bill, whereas in Washington, they use a contractor. The issue could be disclosure to a contractor versus another government entity.
I entered the NY State Thruway from Utica, exited in Albany. Every time I drove on it previously, I went to the toll booth and got a ticket. This time I just drove through the E-Z Pass (not Quick Pass) lane and skipped the person in the booth. Letter showed up at my place a couple weeks later charging me the entire length of the highway under NYSTA jurisdiction. Cost me over $30

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 4:26 AM

I really don't understand why they didn't go with this 'T-overpass' with a signal for the two left turn movements in the first place. Its very effective and logical. Did they not consider it years ago?

Either way, I am very pleased with it going forward, although I note the schedule follows all of the other recent 'pre-election black-top-politics-worthy' projects.

Perhaps the title of this thread should be modified to 'Highway 91 Interchanges and AFB Counterflow'

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 6:27 AM

I think this (or something very similar) was proposed but Delta rejected it because they wanted full free movement? I may be remembering it wrong, but it was a silly little debate between the city and province that has pushed this project back so many years.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 7:04 PM

Delta just wanted all movements. I think the province just wanted a simple flyover sans traffic light.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 5:21 PM

Finally - the project has been tendered

Old Posted Oct 15, 2016, 3:03 AM

Not sure if these have been posted before but here are some renderings of the project:

72A by Ian, on Flickr

72B by Ian, on Flickr

72C by Ian, on Flickr

Looks pretty good IMO. Will be nice to finally have this project done.

Last edited by Metro-One; Jan 22, 2017 at 7:37 AM.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2016, 4:48 AM

Looks practical and should also be efficient as long as they time the left turn long enough. What's the price tag on this?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2016, 5:54 AM

30 million.

20 from the province, 10 from the feds I believe.

This design does not encroach into Burns Bog. All the land being used is preexisting MOT land.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2016, 6:24 AM

Thanks!

So there will be a traffic light.
The previous drawings suggested only a stop sign.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2016, 6:53 AM

Ideally there shouldn't be any traffic light, but I'm ok with the design. My only concern is that traffic might back up into the freeway if the off ramp isn't long enough, or if the traffic light isn't timed properly.

just start building ASAP pls.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2016, 7:05 AM

The off ramps looks to be quite long and is divided into 2 lanes, so I doubt there will be many problems.

The design with no traffic light was far more expensive and would have required land appropriation.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2016, 7:15 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Seems perfectly reasonable.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2016, 7:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
Seems perfectly reasonable.
Exactly, I think this is a good solution. The entire intersection did not need to be free flow, just the 91 itself.

A good design with little impact on the surrounding area.

It may be a small project, but converting this single traffic light into an interchange on the 91 will have a rather large psychological impact on myself (and maybe others?) regarding the quality of the Lower Mainland freeway network.

Having a single traffic light (for only 1 direction too!) on an otherwise full freeway always came off as really bizarre.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2016, 8:53 AM

Thanks for the rendering!

Have always stated that a simple, one-lane directional Hwy 91 SB--->> 72nd Ave. EB flyover would have done the trick... akin to the Hwy 99 SB--->> Hwy 91 EB one-lane directional flyover.

But politics obviously intervened and the 5% traffic heading 72nd Ave. WB --->> Hwy 91 SB traffic is also now incorporated into the scheme. That minimal traffic could have just taken Westview Drive to the 64th Ave. interchange.

All water under the bridge now and the 72nd Ave interchange will be at least ~25 years (perhaps even 35?) overdue by the time it's completed.

BTW, since such minimal traffic flows southward from 72nd Ave., that traffic light will likely be green-lit 95% of the time for 72nd EB traffic.

PS. Have seen the "red-taped" survey stakes in place for months now. Even including the occasional coyote/deer in same locale!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 6:26 AM

Pics March 25th from SSC & Skyrise Cities:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
The Highway 91 at 72nd Avenue Interchange Project.

20170325_100008 by Hung Lam, on Flickr

20170325_145013 by Hung Lam, on Flickr

20170325_145326 by Hung Lam, on Flickr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
20170325_145347 by Hung Lam, on Flickr

20170325_145349 by Hung Lam, on Flickr

20170325_145353 by Hung Lam, on Flickr

For more photos visit this thread ....http://vancouver.skyrisecities.com/f.../#post-1205649

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 7:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Pics March 25th from SSC & Skyrise Cities:
Like those white pylons to prevent traffic cheaters/weaving. They should install those on Nordel Way heading down the hill. Also lol at the numbered exit sign when it's not a full interchange.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2017, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
Like those white pylons to prevent traffic cheaters/weaving. They should install those on Nordel Way heading down the hill. Also lol at the numbered exit sign when it's not a full interchange.
They have.

Maybe not up the hill very far, but if it went any further, it would mess up people relying on GPS during low traffic hours.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2017, 7:30 PM
Urban Fanactic

I wish that had those on Scott Road getting onto the Pattullo Bridge. To many time I seen cars and transport go into the right lane to skip the queue and slow everyone down while merger back in again.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2017, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPhil View Post
They have.

Maybe not up the hill very far, but if it went any further, it would mess up people relying on GPS during low traffic hours.
Oh ok. they should have more of them at more major intersections and merge points. Like Marine Drive on the approaches to Lions Gate. For some reason they have them at Barnet eastbound on the turn lanes to northbound Johnston in Coquitlam.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure