HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 8:44 PM

The Carpenter Hotel on South Lamar looks like it's a go:

http://austin.curbed.com/2016/10/21/...otel-carpenter

"The Mighty Union, the group responsible for the Ace Hotel in Portland, Oregon, and other insanely popular quirky hospitality properties (including a Wes-Anderson-themed lodge), plans to create just such a hospitality destination out of Carpenters Hall at 400 Josephine Street, in South Austin’s popular Zilker neighborhood close to Butler Park and Auditorium Shores. The building was originally home to a carpenters union."

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futures View Post

"The Mighty Union, the group responsible for the Ace Hotel in Portland, Oregon, and other insanely popular quirky hospitality properties (including a Wes-Anderson-themed lodge), plans to create just such a hospitality destination out of Carpenters Hall at 400 Josephine Street, in South Austin’s popular Zilker neighborhood close to Butler Park and Auditorium Shores. The building was originally home to a carpenters union."
What a great location.. So happy they have the forsight to make use of that building. Kudos!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futures View Post

Aside from the big boxes going up, there're just so many cool hotels here. It's kind of mind boggling.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 10:33 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

When was that building built? I looks like Joslin and St. Elmo elementary schools, so I'm guessing the 50s.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 11:10 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Elevations from their permit filing: https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11541795

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 10:29 PM
Meh

So apparently One Congress Plaza has been renamed "One Eleven".

http://cousinsproperties.com/property/one-eleven

Lame

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
So apparently One Congress Plaza has been renamed "One Eleven".

http://cousinsproperties.com/property/one-eleven

Lame
Speaking of One Eleven, how is the renovation coming along? I think they were going to build a small restaurant out in front by the sidewalk if I'm not mistaken.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2016, 12:03 AM

Old Posted Oct 29, 2016, 3:17 PM

Observed an interesting view of the Tyndall site, under construction just east of I-35. Taken from rooftop of Hilton. [full res]

Old Posted Oct 30, 2016, 1:40 AM

Rendering of block 185 in the Greenwater development can be seen in the marketing video of the 500 W. 2nd St. office building. Not sure if that is what is currently planned but I thought I'd bring it to everyone's attention. Video was posted over a year ago according to Vimeo https://vimeo.com/134238116

Old Posted Oct 30, 2016, 2:23 AM

I was kind of on the fence about 500West until I watched that vimeo vid. I'll always feel it should have been 10 or more floors taller, and why not? They could have filled the floors with tenants wanting to be in a signature building with such a large Google presence. The floorplans look cool and inspired. The beauty of this building is really from street level and from inside. I'm 100% sure I would find myself staring out those windows all day long.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2016, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhoof View Post
Rendering of block 185 in the Greenwater development can be seen in the marketing video of the 500 W. 2nd St. office building. Not sure if that is what is currently planned but I thought I'd bring it to everyone's attention. Video was posted over a year ago according to Vimeo https://vimeo.com/134238116

Interesting. Almost looks like a take on its neighbor Austin Proper. This area is going to be so dense.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2016, 6:54 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown_Austin View Post
Observed an interesting view of the Tyndall site, under construction just east of I-35. Taken from rooftop of Hilton. [full res]

Nice, helps me picture it more now. Appreciate the photo!

Old Posted Oct 31, 2016, 9:17 PM

The recent filing for a 3rd & Colorado residential project will be a high-rise. This is the project that we were speculating as to whether it was the parking lot next to the Austonian or Sully's. It looks like Sully's will be demolished.

Quote:
This project proposes the demolition of existing surface parking and building, construction of a new building to construct a new high rise multifamily building with ground floor restaurant. This project is located at the northwest corner of 3rd Street and Colorado Street in the Full Purpose Limits of the City of Austin, Travis County, Texas. This site will comply with the City of Austin Great Streets Program.
ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/AULCC_2016/161110/

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2016, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
The recent filing for a 3rd & Colorado residential project will be a high-rise. This is the project that we were speculating as to whether it was the parking lot next to the Austonian or Sully's. It looks like Sully's will be demolished.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/AULCC_2016/161110/
This has always been an interesting block, and I'm a bit surprised to see a tower proposed here with preservation discussions in years past about saving the "Warehouse District".

Either way, AMLI downtown is mid-rise, so is Silicon Labs, so the views from this - 39 stories looks like - should be solid for a while to come.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2016, 10:36 PM

Here is a screenshot from the plans of the 39 story building proposed at 3rd and Colorado (where Sullivan's currently stands). It will be 458 feet tall.

Last edited by deerhoof; Oct 31, 2016 at 10:50 PM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2016, 4:25 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Very cool!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2016, 1:06 PM

Nice.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2016, 1:10 PM

Samsung investing another $1 billion in Austin facility

Quote:
By Lilly Rockwell
Nov. 1st. 2016

Samsung Austin Semiconductor plans to invest another $1 billion in its Austin chip manufacturing facility, adding as many as 500 engineering and manufacturing jobs in Central Texas, company executives say.

The investment will help Samsung increase the capacity of its Northeast Austin manufacturing plant, where it makes chips that are used to help power mobile phones, tablets and other electronic devices.

"We're making more wafers," said Catherine Morse, general counsel and senior director of public affairs at Samsung Austin Semiconductor, which is an arm of Samsung Electronics.

The project is expected to be completed by mid 2017, the company said. Morse said the company will be hiring between 250 and 500 manufacturing technicians and some engineers to help run the new equipment.
http://www.512tech.com/technology/sa...Ksu41o7VO0VYJ/

Old Posted Nov 1, 2016, 4:03 PM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Samsung investing another $1 billion in Austin facility

http://www.512tech.com/technology/sa...Ksu41o7VO0VYJ/
It appears they didn't ask for a tax break or incentive either? Which that is awesome if true.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin