HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 10:33 PM

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 3:32 AM
It could be worse!

^ Not sure if I somewhat like that design or absolutely hate it. But at least that area is finally getting some decent height after all the several low-rise developments over the last few years.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 2:48 PM
Registered San Diegan

That tower is still floating around? Dear lord it's been nearly a decade.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 8:59 PM

Isn't there a fault line right on top of that lot? It'd be the same fault line that cuts through fault line park across Island St, and the back garden for the senior citizen's center right behind this proposed building, and the private outdoor area for F15 apartments across the Market St.

I also assumed that fault line ran through tailgate park which is why it is a parking lot, I never understood how all of those stadium proposals for that site would address it.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArquitectoMontenegro View Post
...I never understood how all of those stadium proposals for that site would address it.
By using lots and lots of our money. San Diego dodged a huge bullet by rejecting the Chargers plan. The amount of infrastructure upgrades and other difficulties not included in the plan would have been significant and covered 100% by us. I am still so proud of our city for making a stand against the Chargers and NFL.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDFC View Post
By using lots and lots of our money. San Diego dodged a huge bullet by rejecting the Chargers plan. The amount of infrastructure upgrades and other difficulties not included in the plan would have been significant and covered 100% by us. I am still so proud of our city for making a stand against the Chargers and NFL.
Man, I swear. The misinformation about the stadium...

Unless "we" were renting cars or buying hotel rooms here in SD, 0% of the cost would have been covered by "us." It was being paid for by a tax on tourism.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 4:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by eburress View Post

Unless "we" were renting cars or buying hotel rooms here in SD, 0% of the cost would have been covered by "us." It was being paid for by a tax on tourism.
Econ 101: higher P --> lower QD.

So yes, San Diego businesses would be paying the price of less tourism.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCarl View Post
Econ 101: higher P --> lower QD.

So yes, San Diego businesses would be paying the price of less tourism.
So the business traveller is going to opt to not come to SD anymore because of the extra $1.50 for his rental car? Does that sound right to you?

Do you know the degree to which other cities' tourism was affected by similar taxes on tourism? None at all. "We" definitely weren't going to be paying for the Chargers stadium and neither were San Diego businesses.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 5:38 PM

Quote:
So the business traveller is going to opt to not come to SD anymore because of the extra $1.50 for his rental car? Does that sound right to you?

Do you know the degree to which other cities' tourism was affected by similar taxes on tourism? None at all. "We" definitely weren't going to be paying for the Chargers stadium and neither were San Diego businesses.

Agree 100%.

The city has been gouging tourists for years without a decline being a problem.

I believe it was already brought out that the current hotel tax is below other cities already so I really doubt it's a deal breaker to get it up with other cities.

Citizens should be more concerned why we pay so much more for our gasoline or why hotels rip off guests during events like Comic Con or why it's OK to pay low wages with "sun dollars" in place of real money. Businesses are against paying a living wage in many cases so why would they be for raising a hotel tax if it doesn't benefit their cause? Lol

Just sayin' the city has bigger fish to fry in regards to being concerned about getting a hotel tax up to a level other cities already have....

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 5:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Some will, some tourists too. This is how margins work.

As for your second point, do you know the degree to which other cities have benefited the taxpayer from subsidizing large football stadiums? Surely theres been some sort of academic study of this...

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 6:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerv View Post
Agree 100%.

The city has been gouging tourists for years without a decline being a problem.

I believe it was already brought out that the current hotel tax is below other cities already so I really doubt it's a deal breaker to get it up with other cities.

Citizens should be more concerned why we pay so much more for our gasoline or why hotels rip off guests during events like Comic Con or why it's OK to pay low wages with "sun dollars" in place of real money. Businesses are against paying a living wage in many cases so why would they be for raising a hotel tax if it doesn't benefit their cause? Lol

Just sayin' the city has bigger fish to fry in regards to being concerned about getting a hotel tax up to a level other cities already have....
Hotels don't "rip off" guests during events like Comic Con, they charge the market price for their service.

If you want those prices to be lower you need to permit more hotel construction to raise supply.

Econ 101 again.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 6:42 PM

Quote:

Apparently you are correct about there being miss information about the stadium. It is common knowledge that the half baked "plan" almost completely ignored necessary infrastructure upgrades for ingress/egress. The plan DID NOT adequately cover it and the tax payers (out of the general fund) were going to be on the hook to pay for these upgrades.

Further, I do, my family does, and my friends do rent cars, pay for hotels and other tourist stuff within San Diego and simple economic theory will also tell you as taxes and fees go up revenue goes down. If we do decide as a community to institute a tax like that I sure hope it is not for a rarely used sports facility with little (possible negative) economic impact.

Last edited by SDFC; May 9, 2017 at 6:44 PM. Reason: clarity

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCarl View Post
Hotels don't "rip off" guests during events like Comic Con, they charge the market price for their service.

If you want those prices to be lower you need to permit more hotel construction to raise supply.

Econ 101 again.
No one in San Diego is stopping hotel construction. We have lots of hotels and more being built every year. No, the hotel industry seems to do a fair job at keeping up with demand here.

But the hotels here do gouge "rip off" guests. The Comic Con organizers have worked hard to keep things under control with what pressure they can use but by their own omission the city does and is known for its gouging tactics. We are a hot spot for tourists and businesses here are all to aware of that fact.

So what you call market pricing I call gouging.

Looks like we will have to agree to disagree on that matter.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 5:14 AM
Registered San Diegan

Yawn.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 9:28 AM

Quote:
But the hotels here do gouge "rip off" guests.
That's just not true, and shows a big ignorance of basic economics. A hotel price is not a rip off if the price spike is demand driven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerv View Post
No, the hotel industry seems to do a fair job at keeping up with demand here.
The hotel industry may keep up with time averaged demand over a year or a seasonal period of the year, but within those aggregate periods, are nights where they have way less (or way more) rooms than the current market demand.

That's why prices rise during comicon, and can be absurdly low on a Wednesday night in the off season. A hotel's viability rests on the balance between under supply (and higher margins) in periods of high demand, and oversupply (and losses) during low demand periods. To get comicon prices in line with what you would consider acceptable, hotels would need to be sized for the years largest event, and would be unprofitable due to the oversupply/low occupancy such sizing would create on an annualized basis.

As it stands, even in San Diego's best years, hotel occupancy is about 77% (source below). Effectively any additional rooms to alleviate what you think are comicon "rip offs" would essentially be vacant most of the year; an inefficiency for which an even larger pool of hotel customers would have to pay higher rates (or, the hotel goes out of business.) Alternatively, if comicon rates were so high that hotels could cover the loss incurred on an additonal room for the rest of the year, than hotels would build that room.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...217-story.html

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 1:14 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
Can we have a rundown of what's under construction and proposed in SD?
No one huh?

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 9:41 PM
It could be worse!

Quote:
No one huh?
It's all Derek's fault for not updating it in years (just kidding, Derek ). I'll try to put something together tonight or tomorrow, although I'm not familiar with a few projects and will most likely need help adding some.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
No one huh?
http://sandiego.urbdezine.co m/development-map/

not sure when it was last updated but looks like all projects are there

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 9:15 PM
Frequent Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy619 View Post
http://sandiego.urbdezine.co m/development-map/

not sure when it was last updated but looks like all projects are there
http://sandiego.urbdezine.com/development-map/
Fixed the link.

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 4:14 PM

Two things:

ONE: Here's the list of developments on the agenda for the East Village Residents Group - Thursday May 18 at 6pm at 1374 Island Avenue:

1. Market & 7th Project - presented by Jason Wood - updating the multi-use project which includes the Ritz Carlton/Whole Foods

2. Alexan Project, 13th and J Street - presented by Alex Schiffer - announcing opening date and an over view of the project

3. East Village South Focus Plan - presented by Architect rob Quigley and Mike Stepner of NewSchool of Architecture - will review the progress on the Focus Plan in-depth

4. SunBreak Ranch - presented by George Mullen - will review an immediate comprehensive homeless solution for San Diego city and county.

TWO: A recent post on the Quartyard's Facebook page says their lease runs out at the end of this summer, and that they will move to 13th & Market, confirming what someone here posted in the past few weeks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations