HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 4:02 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
...Somewhere in the area of Elgin St. (Golden Triangle) is probably the "best" location in Ottawa.
As someone who lived many years in the "GT" I fully agree. Close to everything DT (walking distance), on the canal, easy to get to the Queensway, quiet, shopping close by (too bad about Goldstein's though ) and real convenient to get to the hill for fireworks!!

Do something about your future.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Best location for what, a home?
yes

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Gatineau doesn't have the greatest choices on this one but Wrightville would have been my pick as well. For the same reasons as you.
Perhaps zibi in a few years.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Most SSPers will disagree with me but real estate prices don't - Ambleside or Dundarave beach, West Vancouver. I got as close as I could within my price range but it's still a 10 minute drive away. The area is incredibly peaceful and serene, yet it's still only 10 minutes from downtown when traffic isn't horrible, and the drive over Lions Gate bridge and down Georgia St is one of the most spectacular drives you can do IMO. Just as spectacular northbound with the mountain views too.
Is the regional climate something that people take into consideration in Vancouver? Maybe not between West End and Coal Harbor but say between Richmond and the tri-cities.
The fact that west Vancouver is the most expensive area in Vancouver while being the rainiest, I would say no.

http://www.metrovancouver.org/servic...port_final.pdf

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
the drive over Lions Gate bridge and down Georgia St is one of the most spectacular drives you can do IMO. Just as spectacular northbound with the mountain views too.
Sure, it's a nice drive, when you choose to do it. But being forced to do it in rush hour twice daily is what would forever keep me away from that area of Vancouver. It is such a bear to get over and is hugely congested.

For me I would much prefer an area on or around Beach Avenue, it's enough on the periphery to be a bit out of the way, while still being close enough to downtown to be able to get wherever you need to be easily.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 4:42 PM

I guess the answer to this question is what is the best residential location for you?

I live in Fairview Slopes, which is the best area for me, personally, although I don't live in the nicest part of that area.

I like how it's within walking distance of Granville Island and a slew of urban format big box stores near Cambie and Broadway. I'm also within walking distance of the Canada Line skytrain station, 99 B-line stops, the Seawall, and I appreciate the interesting townhome and mid-rise architecture of West 7th avenue between Hemlock and Cambie. I also like how it's close, but psychologically separated, from downtown.

On the other hand, my area has some very dull retail and the stretch of Broadway near my house belongs in the Ugly Canada thread.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
I would never live in the heart of the Byward market, it can feel uncomfortable there at night sometimes. Also as Acajack pointed out, it is noisy and traffic is constantly bad. (the constant presence of transport trucks transiting on King Edward/Waller/Daly makes this place a nightmare around rush hour)

My favourite location (as to where I would live) is the vicinity of Strathcona Park in Sandy Hill. Quite urban, yet there is a lot of greenry and a park adjacent to the river. I like the stock of old houses in the area as well.
A lot of the homes on Range Rd facing Strathcona Park are diplomatic premises, but yes, it would be a scenic spot to live. Even better, imo, and my own "best location" would be in the Glebe either facing or backing onto Paterson Creek (i.e. Linden Terrace, Clemow, or Glebe Ave).

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 5:49 PM

Quote:
I once lived a few blocks west of there, and it was nice but not as convenient as one might think.

Rideau St. kinda sucked back then as a neighbourhood main street and I go there often enough still to know it hasn't improved signficantly - yet.

My wife wasn't really super-comfortable walking to and along Rideau and this was the case for a lot of female neighbours.

Most people in our building (a middle class demographic) actually drove to the grocery stores: Loblaws at Rideau and Nelson, or Loeb/IGA (now Metro) at Rideau and King Edward.

Most also drove to Rideau Centre on evenings and weekends unless they stopped off there via transit on their way home from work.

I'd say areas like the Glebe, New Edinburgh and Westboro offer better and nicer neighbourhood amenities on their main streets (Bank, Beechwood and Wellington).

Of course they are some distance from Rideau Centre and the Market but as I mentioned a lot of people in Sandy Hill will drive the 1-2 km to go there anyway.
I lived in Sandy Hill, 2 blocks from Rideau and the Loblaws, or, as I used to call it, Blahblahs. The metro was a close walk away but even worse. So I'd often rent a Vrtucar to drive out to Vanier and go to the Farm Boy there. Man that place was better, even if its selection was limited. Hope that it's continued to expand since I left.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskOttaLoo View Post
I lived in Sandy Hill, 2 blocks from Rideau and the Loblaws, or, as I used to call it, Blahblahs. The metro was a close walk away but even worse. So I'd often rent a Vrtucar to drive out to Vanier and go to the Farm Boy there. Man that place was better, even if its selection was limited. Hope that it's continued to expand since I left.
I admit the Metro there is very dated and crowded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
A lot of the homes on Range Rd facing Strathcona Park are diplomatic premises, but yes, it would be a scenic spot to live. Even better, imo, and my own "best location" would be in the Glebe either facing or backing onto Paterson Creek (i.e. Linden Terrace, Clemow, or Glebe Ave).
Truly one of nicest areas of Ottawa, and it is more convenient to live there than in the area I mentioned before.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 10:29 PM

IF i could afford it i would love to have a place at crescent beach.
The streets are cute, very beachy feeling, a few places to eat. Houses are cottage style, smaller, quaint. Newer ones are done in a nice style.

once you get past the intro gives a good example of the typical homes, no crazy big ones, lots are close together.
Video Link

Last edited by SpongeG; May 15, 2017 at 10:41 PM.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 11:17 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Germain Street in Saint John, more specifically the blocks between Princess and Queen Streets. Beautiful 1870s architecture just steps from the heart of the Uptown.

Photo credit: ErickMontreal

Lots more photos here.

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
I guess the answer to this question is what is the best residential location for you?
In my case if that's the spirit of the question then it's a question that doesn't have much meaning, because the best location for me in each of the three cities I alternate from is the neighborhood where my properties are concentrated, no doubt about that. Unbeatable convenience.

Otherwise, generally speaking for the average person,

In Sherbrooke, the "Old North" neighborhood, very homogeneous and very Victorian, centenarian hardwoods galore (summer shade + fall colors), yet right next to everything downtown.

In Lévis/Quebec City, I would say a New France era building (1750s or older) in the old walled core or lower town at the base of the cliff. Walking distance to lots of stuff.

In the Space Coast CMA, a 1955-1960 waterfront house on the interior side of the barrier islands, for a dock and boat, ideally in the north part of Cocoa Beach or south part of Cape Canaveral to be closer to most commercial offerings.

None of the three would be my best choice (although in Sherbrooke it would come very close, as it's right next to downtown) even if money was no object, 'cause keeping my "commute" as short as possible is more important than having fancy surroundings.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 1:21 AM

Mt.Pleasant in Vancouver has a lot of character but is very crime ridden.

I too would nominate Sandy Hill for Ottawa and Old South for London although many would say Old North.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 3:15 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Back in my BC days, I knew lots of people that lived in Crescent beach area of Surrey. All of which claimed to live in White Rock. That says a lot about Surrey's brand value.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Mt.Pleasant in Vancouver has a lot of character but is very crime ridden.

I too would nominate Sandy Hill for Ottawa and Old South for London although many would say Old North.
You have to update your Vancouver knowledge from where it's stuck, in the 70s and 80s.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post
You have to update your Vancouver knowledge from where it's stuck, in the 70s and 80s.
Yeah I had to shake my head at that comment as well.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 6:04 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGrandeOurse View Post
Is the regional climate something that people take into consideration in Vancouver? Maybe not between West End and Coal Harbor but say between Richmond and the tri-cities.
The fact that west Vancouver is the most expensive area in Vancouver while being the rainiest, I would say no.

http://www.metrovancouver.org/servic...port_final.pdf
I've often thought of moving much closer to the US border but the commute times and soulless strip malls make it easier to stay in rainland. It's a big cultural hit to move to the less rainy places, more sun is all they have going for them, and it's not a dramatic difference in sun. The rainiest places on the north shore are up in the mountains where no one lives.

Quote:
Sure, it's a nice drive, when you choose to do it. But being forced to do it in rush hour twice daily is what would forever keep me away from that area of Vancouver. It is such a bear to get over and is hugely congested.
The bridges are fine for north shore residents during rush hour. It's the opposite direction that's hell on earth, i.e. leaving the north shore in the afternoon, or if you don't work 9-5. West Van is actually decreasing in population and aging into retirement rapidly. Definitely the worst part of the north shore though, wasn't so bad 10+ years ago.

And of course if I could afford a $4.5 million 800 sq foot condo I figured I wouldn't be working anymore anyway.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 2:47 AM

The place where my brother lives in Ottawa is pretty nice.. he's at O'Connor and Somerset, right in the middle of Centretown. Leafy streets, nice old houses, right in the heart of everything yet still quiet, TWO nice supermarkets within a 5 minute walk, endless cafes and restaurants...

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 2:48 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
I live in Fairview Slopes, which is the best area for me, personally, although I don't live in the nicest part of that area.

I like how it's within walking distance of Granville Island and a slew of urban format big box stores near Cambie and Broadway. I'm also within walking distance of the Canada Line skytrain station, 99 B-line stops, the Seawall, and I appreciate the interesting townhome and mid-rise architecture of West 7th avenue between Hemlock and Cambie. I also like how it's close, but psychologically separated, from downtown.

On the other hand, my area has some very dull retail and the stretch of Broadway near my house belongs in the Ugly Canada thread.
I lived there a few years ago. I think it's a great spot and I'd live there again, but it is more practical than "sexy" as far as neighbourhoods go. I've also lived in a prettier part of Kitsilano. It looked a lot nicer, the place I lived in was nicer, and there was a beach nearby, but it was less convenient.

Vancouver unfortunately does not have a lot of good medium density (let's say lowrise apartments or rowhouse) character neighbourhoods. The stuff around Granville Island and Oak Street below Broadway has a moderate population density but most of the developments have large footprints, are plain looking, and have a pretty limited mix of uses. It's pleasant but never seemed like a very urban neighbourhood to me.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 3:02 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

In Halifax, the Spring Garden Road area is quite good and is what people would normally pick as the city's prime urban neighbourhood. It's compact and has a lot of amenities, including things like a large urban format grocery store that people wouldn't necessarily expect to find in a smaller North American city. It is getting a lot of new development. The main part looks like this (but this picture's already out of date; the parking lot on the right is a construction site now):

There are a lot of apartment buildings but also a bunch of sidestreets with old houses like these:

The North End is getting a lot better now too though. A few years I would have said that it has "good bones"; a quirky feel, fine-grained street network, lots of old public spaces and heritage buildings but not a lot of businesses and amenities. Lately there's a lot more going on there though, along Gottingen, Agricola, and Young Street. If things continue to fill in it'll be a great neighbourhood. It is a more hipstery part of town and has a more eclectic mix of businesses. Gottingen is starting to remind me a lot of Main Street in Vancouver (and I guess it is geographically analogous).

This Google 3D image I posted a while ago shows part of the North End:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada