HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 11:31 AM

A little note about the Williamsburg Apple Store. It's definitely not off the beaten path. That area of W'burg is one of the busiest areas of the city and the demographics are Apple's sweet spot. My gym is around the corner so I'm pretty familiar with the area. It's also a draw (and quick drive) from the other high income, close-in Brooklyn nabes like DUMBO, Brooklyn Heights, and Carroll Gardens/Cobble Hill. DUMBO has the second highest income, after TriBeCa, in NYC.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
A little note about the Williamsburg Apple Store. It's definitely not off the beaten path. That area of W'burg is one of the busiest areas of the city and the demographics are Apple's sweet spot. My gym is around the corner so I'm pretty familiar with the area. It's also a draw (and quick drive) from the other high income, close-in Brooklyn nabes like DUMBO, Brooklyn Heights, and Carroll Gardens/Cobble Hill. DUMBO has the second highest income, after TriBeCa, in NYC.
I'm sure those without a car who live in queens or near downtown Brooklyn (who hate the G train) would consider it out of the way. Parking in your neighborhood is not easy either. If Apple were looking for pure foot traffic and convenience, they would have chosen near Atlantic terminal, which is a stones throw from DUMBO and has tons of automobile traffic, but they were more after a trendy location and demographics. For this reason, I think PCM will be more appealing than midtown or downtown to Apple.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 1:27 PM

Permits filed for Harp Transmission Mixed-Use

"The developer is seeking to rezone the property to transform the Harp building into 42,145 square feet of office, restaurant and retail space. The rezoning will allow the office use."

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...ives-harp.html

This is smack dab in the linear park between oakland and the capitol, although I think there's no parking on site at this project? I'm trying to recall previous articles. I like the updated design. I love seeing the area south of Edgewood Ave, west of Oakland Cemetery, and along Memorial develop. I imagine it as a giant TOD node. It's so close to Downtown, the BeltLine, night life, transit, essentially everything the city will have to offer and should be a relatively dense, vibrant area to live north and south of the tracks.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 2:11 PM
Kev K

The old houses on 13th st NE in Midtown have met their maker this week in a demolition derby in prep for the Lennar Multi-family project at 195 13th st.

This apartment project is 26 floors & 308 units.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
I'm sure those without a car who live in queens or near downtown Brooklyn (who hate the G train) would consider it out of the way. Parking in your neighborhood is not easy either. If Apple were looking for pure foot traffic and convenience, they would have chosen near Atlantic terminal, which is a stones throw from DUMBO and has tons of automobile traffic, but they were more after a trendy location and demographics. For this reason, I think PCM will be more appealing than midtown or downtown to Apple.
PCM is not more trendy than Midtown. And Midtown is much closer Brooklyn/Williamsburg to demographics, than PCM.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
PCM is not more trendy than Midtown.
This is objectively false. People do not frequent midtown like they do the beltline and PCM.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
"The developer is seeking to rezone the property to transform the Harp building into 42,145 square feet of office, restaurant and retail space. The rezoning will allow the office use

This is smack dab in the linear park between oakland and the capitol, although I think there's no parking on site at this project? I'm trying to recall previous articles. I like the updated design. I love seeing the area south of Edgewood Ave, west of Oakland Cemetery, and along Memorial develop. I imagine it as a giant TOD node. It's so close to Downtown, the BeltLine, night life, transit, essentially everything the city will have to offer and should be a relatively dense, vibrant area to live north and south of the tracks.
I really hate to see something developed on land that would break up the linear park space. Interesting building, though. Seems like there would be plenty of other lots suitable for this proposal that would not break up the linear park.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 6:38 PM

Quote:
"The developer is seeking to rezone the property to transform the Harp building into 42,145 square feet of office, restaurant and retail space. The rezoning will allow the office use."

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...ives-harp.html

Interesting that they are 'saving' the garage-- If they didn't they would have no rights to build here since this area is supposed to be parkland-- Nice design, build it somewhere else.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge View Post
Interesting that they are 'saving' the garage-- If they didn't they would have no rights to build here since this area is supposed to be parkland-- Nice design, build it somewhere else.
I've been torn on the concept of a park on this site for a while. Unfortunately, I like this office design a lot and think we need more of it in Atlanta. This is one I'd probably want to take a step back on and say leave it up to the residents. The building looks like an appropriate use of space, especially for not adding parking. It also puts more jobs in a neighborhood that would benefit from it, without completely disrupting the park feel, as it doesn't allow vehicles on site and has large sidewalks. I see the building more of a decent use of space that will serve some public purpose and compliment the surrounding parkland and TOD.

I think i'd be a lot more attached to the "linear park" if it wasn't constantly disrupted by vehicular traffic. The longest greenspace this proposed park has is ~0.2 of a mile:

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 11:44 PM

Crane going up at 725 Ponce

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
PCM is not more trendy than Midtown. And Midtown is much closer Brooklyn/Williamsburg to demographics, than PCM.
PCM is one development, you can't compare it to all of Midtown. But this part of the Beltline east side trail is absolutely, positively trendier, livelier, and more desireable than the stretch of midtown that desperately wants to be a retail destination, but simply isn't.

If Apple builds a store in midtown it will be after other major retailers have established it as a place people want to visit.

Anyway, Ponce and Glen Iris doesn't seem like where Apple would want to be. I'd see them finding a spot that's visible and directly accessible from the Beltline.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I've been torn on the concept of a park on this site for a while. Unfortunately, I like this office design a lot and think we need more of it in Atlanta. This is one I'd probably want to take a step back on and say leave it up to the residents. The building looks like an appropriate use of space, especially for not adding parking. It also puts more jobs in a neighborhood that would benefit from it, without completely disrupting the park feel, as it doesn't allow vehicles on site and has large sidewalks. I see the building more of a decent use of space that will serve some public purpose and compliment the surrounding parkland and TOD.

I think i'd be a lot more attached to the "linear park" if it wasn't constantly disrupted by vehicular traffic. The longest greenspace this proposed park has is ~0.2 of a mile:

I am very skeptic about this proposal. I think this has more to do with entitling the land to increase its value and selling it to the city/park and/or having a starting point the developer can then scale back to a more realistic development.

Why am I skeptic? The costs of new construction, even office without parking, are high and I don't think those rents are achievable currently at this location, especially when you take away parking which severely limits your potential tenant base. That, coupled with the lending environment, which I doubt would even finance this without parking, makes me believe this will probably either just end up being retail / restaurant space (which I still don't know could get financed without parking) or just sold to the city/park. It would be very, very hard to lease this building up when competing against Atlanta Dairies, Madison Yards, and the Glencastle redevelopment who all are seeking tenants and aren't exactly setting the world on fire in that regard.

With that said, the proposal looks nice and I would be happy to see this developed. With The George, the Fairfield Development, & the Place Properties / MARTA TOD project this area is really starting to pop.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 12:59 PM

My thoughts exactly.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 2:37 PM

A rezoning permit was filed for the Harp Building (350 Memorial Dr SE).

The "La France Walk" proposal at 1359 La France, near the Edgewood Candler Park MARTA station, filed a permit to increase the density of the proposal. "The original approval was granted to allow 18 units. The proposal is to change the 18 units from 18 single family units to 13 single family units and 10 duplex units."

A new restaurant filed to build an 800SF patio at the recently re-done office building at 715 Peachtree.

Replat permit filed to combine 166 16th Street, 1270 Techwood Drive and 1260 Techwood Drive which will be redeveloped as a single parcel. Listed as "Madison Midtown." I haven't heard of any proposals for this site. Anyone have info?

Planning permit filed for some new homes in Ormewood Park: "PROPOSED DEVELOPMENT IS AN INFILL SINGLE FAMILY RESIDENTIAL PROJECT WITH A MIX OF HOUSING TYPES THAT MAXIMIZE WALKABILITY AND SHARED SPACES. THIS PROPERTY INCLUDES: 972 BERNE ST., 636 VERNON AVE, 614 VERNON AVE, 610 VERNON, PARTIAL KILLIAN ST."

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 2:39 PM

Opus No.2 website update with Opus No.1:

"All this, set on four splendid acres, featuring No.1 Opus Place, the all-new culture & retail pavilion designed by Richard Meier & Partners."

Also, site plan:

I find the addition of the art gallery disappointing, particularly if there is no plan for an additional tower.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 2:45 PM

Double post.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 2:54 PM

I guess only one tower now?

Also some new pictures of Opus No. 2 on the site

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 2:55 PM

Also a bunch of building permits were filed for new townhome developments at 1160 Custer Ave SE, 2040 Rockledge Rd NE, and 535 Broadview Pl NE.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 3:37 PM

Quote:

"All this, set on four splendid acres, featuring No.1 Opus Place, the all-new culture & retail pavilion designed by Richard Meier & Partners."

Also, site plan:

I find the addition of the art gallery disappointing, particularly if there is no plan for an additional tower.
The second tower will be built on top of this...

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 4:09 PM
Kev K

Quote:

Also, site plan:

Re: The first photo - I know this is just a rendering and it won't end up this way - but I will be out there along with the "Labor Dispute protestors" if trees aren't planted along 14th!

Initial plans for Opus had mentioned something on the order of 90,000 sq ft of retail for the whole project.

What most excited me about this was that it acted as a mid-point connection between Colony Square/Campanile's 190,000-240,000 sq ft to Apogee/Atl House's 90,000 sq ft. The 14th st (Peachtree to W Peachtree) hub really could act as a multi-block corridor of super-dense pedestrian activity. A Whole Foods and CS's curated retail will get the people out, and this could give pedestrians another place to linger.

Last edited by RATBOYKEV; May 17, 2017 at 4:25 PM. Reason: Noticed no trees in the rendering and saw that the high is 90 degrees today!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations