HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 9:17 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brando View Post
We call this the "south terminal" but it's really the "central terminal" with respect to the airport grounds. It's right in the middle of the two runways.
Huh??? "Central Terminal?" Let's not confuse people even more.

It has nothing to do with where that terminal physically sits in relation to the rest of the airport property. Of the airport's two operational terminals, the south terminal is "south" of the current cross taxiways and the main terminal lies to the north of the cross taxiways.

Additionally, one can only access the south terminal from the southern part of the property. And visa versa with regard to the main terminal - one can only access it from the north.

I too like the idea of calling the main terminal the "North" terminal instead of the Jordan terminal.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 9:43 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
Huh??? "Central Terminal?" Let's not confuse people even more.

It has nothing to do with where that terminal physically sits in relation to the rest of the airport property. Of the airport's two operational terminals, the south terminal is "south" of the current cross taxiways and the main terminal lies to the north of the cross taxiways.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. My point was that it would be extremely impractical for a road to go around the airport grounds to get to the south terminal because that terminal is not actually at the south end of the property. It's in the center of the airport between the two runways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
Additionally, one can only access the south terminal from the southern part of the property. And visa versa with regard to the main terminal - one can only access it from the north.
I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. We know this. That's why the question that was proposed was if there was a way to connect the roads running to the main terminal to the south terminal. That's why I said it would have to be underground because the south terminal is located between the two runways at the center of the airport grounds. That's why the master plans called for road tunnels to connect those two areas of the airport. However, the cost of tunnels wouldn't be worth only connecting to a small budget terminal since the point of that terminal was to spend as little money as possible to get a low rent terminal up and running. We would only see tunnels if a major terminal was built on that side of the airport grounds.

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 4:29 PM
Member since 2001

Does anyone know why a Atlas Air B744 was at ABIA this a.m.? It was a passenger jet and the only info I have on it was that it was en route to Anchorage.

Gracias.

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenboot View Post
does anyone know why a atlas air b744 was at abia this a.m.? It was a passenger jet and the only info i have on it was that it was en route to anchorage.

Gracias.
m

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 23, 2020 at 6:54 PM.

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 6:00 PM
Member since 2001

Ah. Thank you!

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 8:34 PM
Closed account

The Austin Airport Hyatt Place Hotel opened today. This is especially good news since it means the airport can support more overnight fliers that might be connecting flights in ATX. It can also help serve the expanding eastern entertainment district with COTA and a possible big arena at the Travis County Expo Center. I wouldn't be surprised to see more and more projects go that way like the surfing facility.

http://www.austintexas.gov/news/hyat...ns-their-doors

Quote:
AUSTIN, TEXAS – After a year in the making, Austinites and travelers-alike will be able to enjoy the newest addition to the hotel boom in Austin. As the closest hotel to Austin-Bergstrom International Airport, this four-story, 77,000 square foot, and 139-room hotel will provide the perfect landing spot for travelers coming to and from Austin for both leisure and business.

In addition to its convenient location, Hyatt Place Austin Airport is also doing its part to further a green initiative with its LEED Silver Certification, Austin Energy Green Building Two Star Rating, and four electric vehicle charging stations.

Hyatt Place Austin Airport will also be home to a Texas-sized state flag (15’x25’) which will fly atop a 60’ flagpole. This commemorative flag is a joint project between Journeyman Construction (general contractor), JCI Hospitality LLC (developer and operator) and Celebrate Texas (non-profit organization). At its base, a granite monument in dedication of Jay Johnson and Charlie Yates, founding members of Celebrate Texas, can be found.

As Austin-Bergstrom International Airport continues to grow past its annual passenger record of 12.4 million (set in 2016), Hyatt Place Austin Airport’s highly visible location along Presidential Boulevard figures to be key in servicing passengers and continuing Austin-Bergstrom’s ascension as one of Travel & Leisure’s World’s Best Airports.

Lastly Hyatt Place Austin Airport is proud to announce its Honorary First Guest as Retired Base Commander Bill Porter. After 28 years of service in the United States Air Force Bill Porter retired and has remained in the Austin, Texas area. He then began his second career at a bank on Bergstrom Air Force Base and proudly served the Austin area for an additional 18 years with Bank of America.

About Journeyman Construction: Journeyman Construction is the Austin based umbrella company for JCI Hospitality. JCI Hospitality is the developer and operator for Hyatt Place Austin Airport as well as three other hotels in Austin, Texas (Hyatt House Austin Downtown and the hybrid Holiday Inn Express & Hotel Indigo Austin Downtown); and an additional hotel in Lawton, Oklahoma (Hilton Garden Inn Lawton-Ft. Sill Convention Center).

The airport of choice for Central Texas is Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS). Fly Austin on new nonstop international destinations including Guadalajara, Mexico (GDL) on Volaris, www.volaris.com, and Mexico City, Mexico (MEX) on AeroMexico, www.aeromexico.com. Welcome new domestic nonstops: Kansas City (MCI) and Panama City (ECP) on Southwest, www.southwest.com, Raleigh-Durham (RDU) on Delta, www.delta.com, and Indianapolis (IND), Pittsburgh (PIT), St. Petersburg (PIE), Destin-Fort Walton Beach (VPS), and Cleveland (CLE) on Allegiant, www.allegiantair.com. Welcome Sun Country, a new carrier to Minneapolis – St. Paul International Airport (MSP) at www.suncountry.com. Find all nonstop routes with the free interactive flight guide on www.abia.org. Connect with us on Twitter, @AUStinAirport, Facebook, www.facebook.com/abia and on Instagram, @AUSairport.

There was also a construction update yesterday for some smaller projects.

Quote:
Three airport concession renovation and construction projects are aiming for an end of summer completion. The steel structure for the retail building is forming and visible at the site. Fine art photography from Del Valle students brightens construction walls.

Three airport restaurant concepts aim for end of summer completion

Pushing forward to complete construction on three high-profile concession concepts by the end of summer, contractors are advancing with work on Salt Lick Bar-B-Que, I VINI Italian Market and Second Bar + Kitchen to update food amenities and options in the Barbara Jordan Terminal.

Doubling in size, longtime Austin airport favorite Salt Lick Bar-B-Que is nearly 90-percent complete with the installation of kitchen equipment, electrical, plumbing work. Framing and the anticipated installation of the new marque sign will be soon underway for the nearly 1,454 square feet that will open between Gates 12-13.

A new market I VINI, the first mid-concourse planned restaurant that will operate from Gates 20-23, is nearly 80-percent complete. The Italian food and espresso café is currently finishing up plumbing and electrical work.

The I VINI concept was founded by local Annie’s Café’ & Bar owner Love Nance, who has an Annie’s restaurant on N. Congress Ave in downtown Austin along with an airport location. The Salt Lick, along with its airport location is an Austin area barbeque favorite with stores Driftwood and Round Rock, Texas. Both I VINI’s and Salt Lick will be operated by airport concessionaire Delaware North

Second Bar + Kitchen is nearly 70-percent complete after completing kitchen preparations. Located near Gate 6, plumbing and wall framing work is currently on-going. The airport location is a concept from the popular Second Street District in downtown Austin is noted for its Congress Burger and crafted cocktails. It will be operated by airport concessionaire Paradies Lagardere.

photo ivini constructionStructural skeleton visible on retail development

After completing the foundation stage for the main building at ABIA Retail, structural steel forming the skeleton of the retail building is now visible. The retail space is located off Presidential Drive, the main entry roadway to the Barbara Jordan Terminal. Once finished, it will include a temporary cell phone lot, gas station, restaurant and convenience store, playground and electric vehicle fast charging stations.

photo steelDel Valle ISD student photography displayed on construction walls

photo student artTo liven up the I VINI mid-concourse construction walls from Gates 20-23, “Austin In Bloom!” fine art photographs of flora and fauna of the Texas Hill Country, from Del Valle High School digital photography students are on display. The art, created by ninth – twelfth graders at the school are also digitally shown on the flight arrival and departure monitors in baggage claim and past Checkpoint 1.

Construction complete for pet boarding services at Bark & Zoom

Bark & Zoom, a 13,000 square feet covered valet parking and pet hotel complex in Austin opened on Sat., May 14. The development located at 2601 Cardinal Loop from SH71 is open 24-hours with 153 parking spots for Austin airport travelers.

Veterinarian services for dogs and cats are available. Along with a doggie pool, a pet hotel with suite services that includes webcam and streaming television services, passengers can park at the facility, drop off their pets and take a shuttle to the Barbara Jordan Terminal.

Scott Airport Parking, recently opened the 2,000 parking operations Park & Zoom near the Airport Hilton, operates the parking. Austin-based Taurus Academy operates the pet hotel.

Some Notes:

The Steel Structure for the new retail development next to the Airport is up. The retail space is located off Presidential Drive, the main entry roadway to the Barbara Jordan Terminal. Once finished, it will include a temporary cell phone lot, gas station, restaurant and convenience store, playground and electric vehicle fast charging stations.

Work on 3 restaurant projects inside the terminal is progressing. It includes doubling the space for Salt Lick and adding I VINI Italian Market and Second Bar + Kitchen. I don't believe the latter two are currently in the airport.

The Dog Boarding facility (Bark+Zoom) opened and it's pretty nice.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 2:15 PM

Speaking of airport construction progress, does anyone know why Second Bar & Kitchen is taking so long? As someone who loves Second and finds myself at the airport once or twice a month, I'm getting very antsy.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 3:29 PM

shout out to the user who posted the phone number of the control tower. I recently took my 3 yr old son for a tour, and WOW! Too cool. He and I were blown away. What a treat.

My boy was a BOSS at pre-school the next day. So was I at work!

I owe you a drink, whoever you are!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 7:20 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbrickley View Post
shout out to the user who posted the phone number of the control tower. I recently took my 3 yr old son for a tour, and WOW! Too cool. He and I were blown away. What a treat.
Would you mind reposting it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbssfelix View Post
Speaking of airport construction progress, does anyone know why Second Bar & Kitchen is taking so long? As someone who loves Second and finds myself at the airport once or twice a month, I'm getting very antsy.
Well the wall framing shouldn't take too long but the article cities plumbing work which is. That could be a lot of re-routing and I'm guessing their plumbing demand is bigger than the typical counter places they have at the airport. It also cites the kitchen which I'm sure is a big thing to tackle given the large variety of equipment they would need because of their variety. Also, the Downtown location is really nice so I imagine there is a decent amount of siding work as well as decor.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 8:18 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by brando View Post
Would you mind reposting it?
Seconded.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Seconded.
Found it.
Thanks to you Zero, I was my kids Hero! It really was cool as shhhh.....

Originally Posted by ATCZERO View Post
We can give you a tour. Call the main number 512.369.7800 and let them know you'd like a tour. You'll get to see all the air traffic controller side of things as well as all the planes and construction from the tower. We've got some binoculars up there as well.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 11:21 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Thanks, so much! I may setup a tour for my 4 y/o niece and I.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 1:04 AM
Air Traffic Controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbrickley View Post
Found it.
Thanks to you Zero, I was my kids Hero! It really was cool as shhhh.....

Originally Posted by ATCZERO View Post
We can give you a tour. Call the main number 512.369.7800 and let them know you'd like a tour. You'll get to see all the air traffic controller side of things as well as all the planes and construction from the tower. We've got some binoculars up there as well.
You're welcome! Most of the flying public are unaware to all the behind the scenes action so I'm glad you got to see everything! I encourage anyone that might be remotely interested in it to take a tour. We've even had a boy scout group come through.

In other news, Austin Executive airport is supposed to break ground on a contract tower soon. It is scheduled for a December opening.

For those keeping tabs on Austin vs San Antonio traffic: Austin beat San Antonio in 2016 by 20,000 operations. (Carrier/GA/Military) This year is only going to increase that difference. Even more, Austin's radar room is on track to working more traffic than San Antonio's radar room despite the presence of Randolph air force base.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 5:59 PM

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 6:32 PM

United is up over 20%? Upgauging aircraft ? they haven't started any new routes in years

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim 1980 View Post
United is up over 20%? Upgauging aircraft ? they haven't started any new routes in years
Blame my wife for switching from Southwest to United because she can now book FC seats for work.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 8:50 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim 1980 View Post
Total passengers up 7%...BA load factor for April was roughly 86%. NICE!!!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 11:15 PM

Alaska is also upgrading their daily PDX/AUS round trip from commuter via SkyWest to Alaska 737-900 beginning in August. I keep wondering if Alaska will work towards a larger Austin presence.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 1:33 AM

I've noticed there's been a lot of mainline on many routes now. Can't remember the last time I saw a CRJ7 whizz by, still a few e170s especially from IAH. I expect regional jets will probably come back once the summer travel dies down a bit.

On a personal note, we'd probably see more of my favorite the 757 if they weren't being retired from fleets and routes (look at all the 739 traffic).

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleC View Post
On a personal note, we'd probably see more of my favorite the 757 if they weren't being retired from fleets and routes (look at all the 739 traffic).
Perhaps they are making room for the 737 Max. Imagine, a 737 flying direct NY to London routes, albeit on a 737 with new engines, aerodynamics and the ability to carry over 200 passengers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin