HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 10:41 AM

420 Fanshawe Park Road East - 4s (Under Construction)

Developer proposing 6 story condo at 420 Fanshawe Park Rd. Neighbours are opposed.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 5:11 PM

More information on the project as reported by the London Free Press it indicates that suburban NIMBYs will be very busy. The rendering shows attractive looking project which will have stepped down facade at the rear of the building five, four, and three storeys facing Donnybrook Road. Even if challenge is made two the OMB I don't see it going very far.

http://www.lfpress.com/2016/07/06/fa...ets-neighbours

Last edited by Dither City; Jul 7, 2016 at 5:27 PM.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2016, 4:44 PM

The Free Press could have picked a better headline - when I first saw the article on their website I thought it was new student housing by Fanshawe College that neighbours are opposed to (which would make sense given some past issues).

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 9:28 PM

Here is an updated version of this project. The height is lowered probably because of neighbors complaining.

http://www.london.ca/business/Planni...pplication.pdf

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 12:22 AM

Nice project. Fits well with that area at 4 stories.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 2:14 AM

Urban design brief for this 6s project - http://www.london.ca/business/Planni...2017-03-15.pdf

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 10:41 AM

Well the NIMBY's are against this project. It's been down sized to 4s from 6 already. One person quoted as saying they don't understand the density.

http://www.lfpress.com/2017/05/17/pu...o-larger-venue

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 6:24 PM

Sorry guys, but I am against the rezoning in that area.

There are a few concerns with the rezoning such as:
• Environmental, green protected areas (taking down 100 year old trees)
• Increased noise and pollution, Fanshawe Pk. Is very busy and loud as it is.
• Increased traffic, more prone to collisions and accidents. Adelaide and Fanshawe intersection is already at capacity. People are getting run over at that intersection too many times per day.
• Left turning vehicles are already a big issue on Fanshawe pk. due to high traffic flow.
• U-Turns of vehicles from this building trying to go eastbound will be a big problem, right now the street only allows traffic to go westbound.

Why not add more density starting closer to downtown before we encourage urban sprawling up north! South East of downtown/ south of the tracks there are plenty of neighborhoods that can support such developments, these areas are 500-1000m from high rises in downtown, and they are in dear need of new buildings.

The city should try fix neighborhoods that need fixing first, not mess up the ones that are already working very well!

Last edited by Dupcheck; May 18, 2017 at 7:44 PM.

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupcheck View Post

• Increased traffic, more prone to collisions and accidents. Adelaide and Fanshawe intersection is already at capacity. People are getting run over at that intersection too many times per day.
• Left turning vehicles are already a big issue on Fanshawe pk. due to high traffic flow.
• U-Turns of vehicles from this building trying to go eastbound will be a big problem, right now the street only allows traffic to go westbound.

Why not add more density starting closer to downtown before we encourage urban sprawling up north! South East of downtown/ south of the tracks there are plenty of neighborhoods that can support such developments, these areas are 500-1000m from high rises in downtown, and they are in dear need of new buildings.

The city should try fix neighborhoods that need fixing first, not mess up the ones that are already working very well!
4 or 6 stories is extremely modest, I don't see an issue with it up there. The Byron area has several buildings taller than that and another one is soon starting construction, and the road network there can't support much more traffic.

These people should be thankful they don't live in my neighbourhood in Toronto. There's a proposed 35-storey condo tower nearby on a very small lot, and nobody seems to care about it. This is what I call a first-world problem.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 10:25 AM

Would you rather see 4s townhomes on the site?

There are highrises within 600 meters of this site already.

The project looks good and I hope it proceeds.

Quote:

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 4:47 PM

Council approves the proposed development. Good news after all. The neighbours will now need to find another free dog bathroom to use or start pooping and scooping after their pets.

http://www.lfpress.com/2017/05/24/a-...of-development

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 5:49 PM

I really do not understand the opposition to this proposal, aside from blatant NIMBY'ers all of which likely live within eyes distance. If this were being proposed a 18 story building I could understand a little more opposition given the area.

People opposing need to understand that London needs and wants infill, new subdivisions are planned out exactly like this with a mix of single family homes, condos/rentals and mid rise apartments.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlippery519 View Post
I really do not understand the opposition to this proposal, aside from blatant NIMBY'ers all of which likely live within eyes distance. If this were being proposed a 18 story building I could understand a little more opposition given the area.

People opposing need to understand that London needs and wants infill, new subdivisions are planned out exactly like this with a mix of single family homes, condos/rentals and mid rise apartments.
Apparently you have no idea about the traffic and the left turn problems on this stretch of the road. The proposal does not solve these issues. You should live in the area to really understand it.

The mayor clearly said: "This is not nimbyism, it is responsibility. We are not opposed to development, or infill. We want responsible, appropriate development."

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer139 View Post
Council approves the proposed development. Good news after all. The neighbours will now need to find another free dog bathroom to use or start pooping and scooping after their pets.

http://www.lfpress.com/2017/05/24/a-...of-development
Are you sure that is used as a dog bathroom? So anything better than a dog bathroom must be ok then? Clearly you also do not understand the issues with the area.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 11:35 PM

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and looks like a duck!
It's a duck that goes by the name of NIMBY.

Quote:
Are you sure that is used as a dog bathroom? So anything better than a dog bathroom must be ok then? Clearly you also do not understand the issues with the area.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 1:54 AM

This was north end NIMBYism at its finest. End of story.

Opponents claimed this was somehow high density, I dont think 4 storey would be considered that anywhere. Traffic issues could be solved by having entry/exit off Donneybrook instead of Fanshawe Park Rd. if they were really that concerned. Lets call a spade a spade, they dont want ANY density near them, preferably somewhere else. Good the committee didnt back down. Hopefully council passes it and the inevitable OMB challenge is quickly defeated!

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer139 View Post
If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and looks like a duck!
It's a duck that goes by the name of NIMBY.
Like i said you clearly do not understand the issues that arise from what was proposed. Your analogy is childish and does not help anyone.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Apparently you have no idea about the traffic and the left turn problems on this stretch of the road. The proposal does not solve these issues. You should live in the area to really understand it.

The mayor clearly said: "This is not nimbyism, it is responsibility. We are not opposed to development, or infill. We want responsible, appropriate development."
Just because the mayor said its not NIMBYism doesn't mean its true. Many of the people opposed to this simply do not want it there and are not offering up a lot of back and forth.

A close friend of mine lives on Daleview Cres so I do in fact frequent the area quite often. I am not however aware of any issues with left hand turns issues, what is the issue exactly aside from it being a busy street? I am also not sure how this proposal would have anything to do with those issues, sounds like a city/road issue if anything? It will add some volume yes, but this is a major road

I see you posted earlier some of the concerns earlier in the thread, are you kidding me lol?

Last edited by MrSlippery519; May 25, 2017 at 5:45 PM.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlippery519 View Post
Just because the mayor said its not NIMBYism doesn't mean its true. Many of the people opposed to this simply do not want it there and are not offering up a lot of back and forth.

A close friend of mine lives on Daleview Cres so I do in fact frequent the area quite often. I am not however aware of any issues with left hand turns, what is the issue exactly? I am also not sure how this proposal would have anything to do with those issues, sounds like a city/road issue if anything?

I see you posted earlier some of the concerns earlier in the thread, are you kidding me lol?
Ask your friend that lives in the area if you do not believe my comments.
The issue is that at the proposed building, vehicles can only enter going westbound and exit going westbound on Fanshawe. No vehicles can turn eastbound as planned, that would force drivers to exit westbound and make a U turn further in order to go eastbound, therefore prone to accidents. Noise and air pollution are a concern when more cars will be frequenting the area. A a lot more other concerns that the article on the LFP article mentioned above. Not everything is because people are NYMBY's. We want it to be properly thought off not just anything better than a dog washroom. If you want to talk about real NYMBY's look at CN and CP rail.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Ask your friend that lives in the area if you do not believe my comments.
The issue is that at the proposed building, vehicles can only enter going westbound and exit going westbound on Fanshawe. No vehicles can turn eastbound as planned, that would force drivers to exit westbound and make a U turn further in order to go eastbound, therefore prone to accidents. Noise and air pollution are a concern when more cars will be frequenting the area. A a lot more other concerns that the article on the LFP article mentioned above. Not everything is because people are NYMBY's. We want it to be properly thought off not just anything better than a dog washroom. If you want to talk about real NYMBY's look at CN and CP rail.
I did ask him and he was not aware of any "left turn issue" on Fanshawe, I sent him a text as soon as I read the comments.
I do not see how this proposal could please you, would you rather people be able to exit east and west, I am sure if that was the case it would be "unsafe" right?

How is someone in that area concerned with noise and air pollution, you are literally living off one of the busier roads in London, adding this 4 story building is not going to add a measurable amount of noise or pollution to the area. This comment specifically sounds like a NIMBY comment,

Also what the heck is NYMBY's? I think you mean NIMBY (not in my back yard)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates