HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesjow View Post
Nashville from an overpass on I-65 (courtesy of markhollin from Urban Planet).

Wow! Not the city I grew up near decades ago. Where would the JW Marriot be in this picture from this vantage point?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 3:26 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasticman View Post
Wow! Not the city I grew up near decades ago. Where would the JW Marriot be in this picture from this vantage point?
I could be wrong, but I'm not sure it's even visible from this vantage point, as it's over next to The Westin, which isn't visible from this angle either. I agree though, it is a remarkable shot...it reminds me though just how much space the interstates running through the center of the city take up. I doubt there is money for it right now, but they could all seriously stand to be redesigned to open up space for development.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 9:02 PM
Nashville born and raised

As projects finish, more projects begin. Here are those that began in the last few weeks!

In a couple of months, expect six more to begin, from 14 to 30+/- stories.

Last edited by MidTenn1; Jul 1, 2017 at 2:11 AM.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2017, 4:52 PM

I think there was a hockey game in Nashville last night!!? At least, that's what 50,000 people seemed to think.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2017, 7:26 PM

Update on the Bobby Hotel retrofit of the existing Wells Fargo building

The view looking up from Printer's Alley:

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 6:59 PM

Ok, looks like photobucket has crashed and all my posted photos are gone/not showing! Anyone know what's going on?

EDIT; Ok. back in business!!!

Last edited by MidTenn1; Jun 5, 2017 at 7:12 PM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 7:11 PM

One of the best views of downtown with the Germantown district in the foreground. This city is growing up the right way!! Now if we can just get those planned trolleys rolling up and down those streets in a few years.

Last edited by MidTenn1; Jul 1, 2017 at 2:47 AM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 2:50 PM

Picture from LA_TN of the 19 story Cambria Suites Hotel (foreground) and the 34 story, JW Marriott (background) rising across from the Music City (Convention) Center (MCC).
There will be a 19 story Hilton Curio and 30 story Embassy Suites rising soon on the parking lot between the Cambria and the MCC.
That will make almost a thousand rooms on the one block with room for more.

Last edited by MidTenn1; Jun 11, 2017 at 2:43 AM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 3:19 PM

And from Chris on UP.

The 30 story Bridgestone Americas Headquarters soon to open. The lighting is awesome.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 12:20 AM

Watching the CMT Awards and Nashville is looking great!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 11:26 AM

Nashville can't get an NBA franchise. The only way a city can have both an NBA and NHL franchise at the same time is if they already have an NFL, Major League Baseball, and either an NBA or NHL franchise.

If a city has a large enough population to be home of teams in both outdoor leagues and one of the indoor leagues then it is deemed as large enough to be a home of a team in the other indoor league.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilism View Post
Nashville can't get an NBA franchise. The only way a city can have both an NBA and NHL franchise at the same time is if they already have an NFL, Major League Baseball, and either an NBA or NHL franchise.

If a city has a large enough population to be home of teams in both outdoor leagues and one of the indoor leagues then it is deemed as large enough to be a home of a team in the other indoor league.

Is that based on fact? If so, I'd like to see where that is documented. Can you direct me to that information.

Portland, OR does not have either an NFL or MLB team. But they have both an NBA and NHL franchise. And, Washington, DC had their NBA and NHL franchises long before they had an MLB franchise.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 3:53 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowTalk4 View Post
Is that based on fact? If so, I'd like to see where that is documented. Can you direct me to that information.

Portland, OR does not have either an NFL or MLB team. But they have both an NBA and NHL franchise. And, Washington, DC had their NBA and NHL franchises long before they had an MLB franchise.
Portland, OR does not, in fact, have an NHL team. Just NBA and MLS.

Washington has had a professional baseball team off and on since the late 1800's... and there's 9.3 million people in the Washington-Baltimore CSA.

As much as I'd like this not to be the case, Nashville is definitely not getting an NBA team any time soon. Memphis already has a very popular and very successful team that the NBA has committed to, for one. Beyond that, Nashville simply isn't big enough for three pro sports teams, unless the third was MLS. We could probably get away with that.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 4:21 PM

Quote:

Definitely not fact. Though there's no current examples of a city with just the two. I suppose Vancouver had it a while ago with the Grizzlies and Canucks.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 5:25 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Incorrect on both points.

1) Portland, OR does not have an NHL franchise.
2) Technically, Washington, D.C. had the Senators (MLB) decades before they had both NBA and NHL franchises. The Senators left to become the Texas Rangers in 1971. The current rendition of the Nationals actually began as the Montreal Expos in 1969 - and moved to Washington before the 2005 season.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
Incorrect on both points.

1) Portland, OR does not have an NHL franchise.
2) Technically, Washington, D.C. had the Senators (MLB) decades before they had both NBA and NHL franchises. The Senators left to become the Texas Rangers in 1971. The current rendition of the Nationals actually began as the Montreal Expos in 1969 - and moved to Washington before the 2005 season.
I stand corrected on Portland. I thought their hockey team was an NHL team but it's not. There is speculation that Portland will get a team via relocation if the Arizona Coyotes and the NHL chooses to relocate if a request to build a new arena in Phoenix fails.

I understand what you're stating about MLB in DC. I've been living in the DC area since 2000. So, I was here when the Expo's relocated in 2005 and I'm very much aware of the areas previous team the Senators relocating to Texas. That being said the Senators left in 1972, the NBA didn't move to DC until 1973 and the Caps were founded in 1974. The owner of the Bullets moved the team to DC from Baltimore at a time when the NBA itself didn't impose much restrictions on owners making such decisions. The owner was able to make such a move because he personally financed the building of a new arena in Landover, MD where the Bullets, eventually the Capitals and now the Wizards initially played in the DC market.

Someone else pointed out the DC/B'more region has a population of 9.3M. That is true. However, please understand that while DC and B'more are only 40 miles apart, these two cities have absolutely no love for each other and are substantially different. They are truly two separate markets television wise and fan wise. Most people living in either city do not consider themselves to be part of the same metro region. Sports wise DC is a melting pot of fans for practically every team in the country because the city is primarily a melting pot. Washington's NFL and NBA games are filled with fans for the opposing teams. More than what you typically see in other cities. The Caps and Nat's however seem to have broad support from the local fan base. In B'more however, it is crime to be a fan of any other team, especially a DC team (hell they still despise Titans fans... personal experience... LOL). Ravens fans are far more visible in DC than Washington fans are in B'more. And, by and large there's no support coming out of B'more for the Wizards. I say all that to say that I don't think any of the major sports look at the DC/B'more region collectively when making decisions about franchises in either market. If they did, B'more would probably have hockey and basketball since they already have the two outdoor major professional sports teams, the MLB and NFL. And, they do want both.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 3:55 PM

There have been rumblings of future projects that may bust the 500' ceiling in Nashville. I have no published sources, but insiders are strongly hinting that the Mayor and a major developer are promoting (softening up public opinion?) the idea that 'vertical living' is the next big thing in residential development downtown. The developer of the 45 story, 505 Apartments has a couple of small lots on Church Street which could possibly lend themselves to a tall skinny development.

This is a big leap to take from some bits and pieces of inside information, but considering what's already happening, it may not be too much of a stretch.

Could we see something like this in the near future?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 2:38 AM

The Tapestry at the Printing House (actual name!) is proposed at 3rd and Peabody in Sobro. It is a Hilton brand. They are seeking approval from the city to go up to 11 floors and 175 rooms.

This will be a densely built two block area with up to six new hotels going up.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 10:52 PM

NASHVILLE YARDS development plans revealed......from the TENNESSEAN

Better detail at the website....

Looks to have four buildings at 23+ stories and several other 10+ story buildings. Possibly a couple of 40s. No word on schedule.

It includes the first look at the 23 story, 591 room Hyatt Regency Hotel scheduled to start soon.

Been waiting on this one. It looks promising. The owner of the Phoenix Suns is primarily behind this.

Nashville...catching up! LOL!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 2:57 AM

I like the name Nashville Yards. I like that they are visualizing it to be a multi-use development. I like that there appears to be public space as well. I know it is still in the concept stage and there will probably be several modifications as they move towards construction. But, I'm really disappointed in the rendering of the Hyatt. I was really hoping for a hotel in the 35-45 story range and not another typical design that is safe for Nashville. This hotel will be on one of the major streets leading into downtown. It needs a much more significant presence in my opinion.

I also wish they would incorporate other shapes in their other structures. And, yes, add more height. A couple of super tall "pencil towers" would be ideal over stubby boxes. And, they would create even more open space. There are some great super slim residential buildings going up in NYC that would be great for this project.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations