HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #12821  
Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 9:59 PM
Northparkwizard's Avatar
Northparkwizard Northparkwizard is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 189
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12822  
Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 1:25 AM
SDCAL SDCAL is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flying Dutchman View Post
Theoretically, HSR will service SAN decades from now, which should help alleviate future demand. I'd be curious to see stats on trips to and from SAN, and how much of traffic is "local" (in-state). SAN may transition to more international flights as we are already seeing while HSR picks up the slack for travelers heading to various parts of the state. Someone here said once that airlines prefer longer trips as they are more profitable. My 2c.
As far as I know the SD leg of HSR is not at all a given, it's sort of a "maybe" if the LA-SF route gets complete and is a success. As it is now, politicians are trying to stop the LA-SF portion that's already under construction and cut of funding. Do you really think SD will get HSR, and if so do you think it will be before 2050? I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but my projection is the airport will be moved before we ever get HSR here.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12823  
Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 4:09 AM
The Flying Dutchman The Flying Dutchman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCAL View Post
As far as I know the SD leg of HSR is not at all a given, it's sort of a "maybe" if the LA-SF route gets complete and is a success. As it is now, politicians are trying to stop the LA-SF portion that's already under construction and cut of funding. Do you really think SD will get HSR, and if so do you think it will be before 2050? I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but my projection is the airport will be moved before we ever get HSR here.
Who knows. I think the portion between LA and SF will get built for sure, despite the politics. Reason being there is too much real estate interest inland and need for growth. The Pacific Surfliner (3rd busiest corridor in U.S.) with all the current double-tracking will speed things up between SD and LA.

So no, I don't think we'll ever get it down here, and if we do, San Diego will be underwater by then
__________________
"A good walker does not rise dust" -Zen proverb
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12824  
Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 6:46 AM
Nerv's Avatar
Nerv Nerv is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerogt3 View Post
Runway length is not an issue. Maybe 20 years ago it was, but airlines can run 400+ pax flights out of SAN on several modern aircraft - 777s, 787s, 350s, etc, and even some older ones (767, 330, 340.) SAN can accommodate any aircraft except the A380, which honestly no airline would fly there even if they could.

24 operations: Gatwick has restrictions on operation from 23:00 until 6:00, much like SAN. According to Gatwick's website, they had 280,000 aircraft movements in 2016. Only 14,000 of those (5%) depart/arrive between 23:00 and 6:00. I can't find exact data, but my personal experience with Gatwick is that those night flights are often cargo. I just looked at overnight traffic for the last two days, and even during busy summer season, there were.... zero passenger departures during those hours. I can see only one landing from yesterday from Cuba at 5:15, which would be allowed at SAN as well. The fact is, if we assume half of all movements are landings (they better be ), then at minimum, 97.5% of Gatwick's passengers fly during normal SAN operating hours.

SAN can grow to Gatwick levels of pax on a single runway, which represents 2-3 decades of projected use, simply by replacing 30 seat aircraft with 300 seat aircraft. And that will happen, when demand is there. And that's without considering other factors. High speed rail and autonomous ground transport will probably decrease airport utilization, and new air traffic control systems will increase the frequency of aircraft movements, increasing the number of aircraft that each runway can handle:



Combining all of these factors, its easy to see why the billion dollars investment in SAN was made: the location will have adequate capacity well into the future.

I know air crashes are rare but I'm still concerned one day the city is going to see something like the 1978 crash but with much more damage.

Despite the 500 foot height limit San Diego's downtown has become far to built up and dense to not think having an airport so close is a terrible location and that it's only a matter of time before the luck runs out again and something bad happens.

Pilots at best find it a challenging airport at worst one that makes them nervous.

I remember commenting to a pilot friend about how spectacular the view is when arriving at SD airport and him telling me well you're not the one landing a plane in it. Lol
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12825  
Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 6:52 AM
Nerv's Avatar
Nerv Nerv is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flying Dutchman View Post

So no, I don't think we'll ever get it down here, and if we do, San Diego will be underwater by then
You can see here: http://inewsource.org/2016/12/05/fut...ood-san-diego/. What rising water levels would look like.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12826  
Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 6:02 PM
The Flying Dutchman The Flying Dutchman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 172
Cool, thanks.
__________________
"A good walker does not rise dust" -Zen proverb
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12827  
Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 7:28 PM
SDCAL SDCAL is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerv View Post
I know air crashes are rare but I'm still concerned one day the city is going to see something like the 1978 crash but with much more damage.

Despite the 500 foot height limit San Diego's downtown has become far to built up and dense to not think having an airport so close is a terrible location and that it's only a matter of time before the luck runs out again and something bad happens.

Pilots at best find it a challenging airport at worst one that makes them nervous.

I remember commenting to a pilot friend about how spectacular the view is when arriving at SD airport and him telling me well you're not the one landing a plane in it. Lol
Good point. What I was trying to convey in my previous posts, albeit probably not very clearly, is that all these "little" things start to add up. The one runway. The short runway. The urban location. The topography that presents challenging landings. I realize people can pick apart each one and make justifications on how it's "doable," but at some point it has to be asked how viable this location will co tinue to be as the city continues to grow. Speaking of plane accidents, wasn't it Mike Pence's plane that slid off the runway at Laguardia recently? Laguardia has a short runway at 7000ft, I believe SAN is only a couple thousand ft longer at around 9000 ft. It's not pleasant to think about and maybe the danger is minimal but it is there
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12828  
Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 9:18 PM
The Flying Dutchman The Flying Dutchman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 172
The 10 Most Difficult Airports for Pilots in the U.S.
http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/a...n-the-u-s.html

SAN #9, right behind LaGuardia at #7.
__________________
"A good walker does not rise dust" -Zen proverb
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12829  
Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 2:48 PM
SDfan's Avatar
SDfan SDfan is offline
Registered San Diegan
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
In the future we might see buildings above 500' rise in the UTC area and Mission Valley.
Ha! No we won't. Miramar keeps the UTC skyline in check, and MV has strict height limits in place.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12830  
Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 4:39 PM
joemamma joemamma is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 15
Anyone with some new pics of downtown development? Its been a while since this forum has shown some progress pics.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12831  
Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 6:17 AM
sixonenine sixonenine is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 16
Does national city have a building height limit?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12832  
Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 8:29 PM
Streamliner's Avatar
Streamliner Streamliner is offline
Frequent Lurker
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: California
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemamma View Post
Anyone with some new pics of downtown development? Its been a while since this forum has shown some progress pics.
San Diego always get sidetracked with our bimonthly height limit/airport discussion

But seriously, I hope someone goes out during Comic-Con for pictures. I'm always fascinated by the giant advertisements and interesting sights around town during the convention.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12833  
Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 8:58 PM
The Flying Dutchman The Flying Dutchman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 172
7th & Market (Ritz) scheduled for trial in Oct.

http://dcpcsd.com/wp-content/uploads...ng-Minutes.pdf
__________________
"A good walker does not rise dust" -Zen proverb
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12834  
Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 6:22 PM
superfishy superfishy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: San Diego
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamliner View Post
San Diego always get sidetracked with our bimonthly height limit/airport discussion

But seriously, I hope someone goes out during Comic-Con for pictures. I'm always fascinated by the giant advertisements and interesting sights around town during the convention.
Yea, I've been a lurker here for quite a while and this topic has come up like half a dozen times. The same points just get recycled.

Anyway, I work in Downtown this weekend, I'll see if I can snap some pictures. I noticed that just within this past week, something in the Makers Quarter project along F street started construction.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12835  
Old Posted Jul 16, 2017, 2:16 AM
Dariusb Dariusb is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texarkana, TX
Posts: 189
Just wondering but how many stories is San Diego's tallest building and is a new tallest on the horizon?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12836  
Old Posted Jul 16, 2017, 7:02 AM
spoonman's Avatar
spoonman spoonman is offline
SD/OC
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,276
Tallest by floor count is 45 stories. Tallest by height is 500ft. All buildings in DTSD are capped at 500ft due to proximity to SAN. There is no new "tallest " on the horizon as we have already built to the max height limit. Unless the rules change there will only be additional " tallest " buildings, but nothing setting a new record.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12837  
Old Posted Jul 16, 2017, 3:23 PM
chris08876's Avatar
chris08876 chris08876 is offline
N-methyl-D-aspartate
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New Jersey - Somerset County
Posts: 19,851
An excellent view of DT. Can see some cranes. From late June. Recommend full screen.

Video Link


What a beautiful city you guys have.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12838  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 8:47 AM
mbb mbb is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flying Dutchman View Post
Who knows. I think the portion between LA and SF will get built for sure, despite the politics. Reason being there is too much real estate interest inland and need for growth. The Pacific Surfliner (3rd busiest corridor in U.S.) with all the current double-tracking will speed things up between SD and LA.

So no, I don't think we'll ever get it down here, and if we do, San Diego will be underwater by then
Much more important for a connection to LAX are the two extensions of the LA Metro Green line. There's already a rail connection from San Diego to Norwalk / Santa Fe Springs, and the Green line should connect from there directly to LAX much sooner than high speed rail will be built to San Diego. The connection would likely be faster, too, since high speed rail will only take you to Union Station, from which you'd have to take the (under construction extension of the) Blue line and transfer to the Green line, or the (under construction extension of the) Expo line and transfer to the (under construction) Crenshaw line.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12839  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 3:06 PM
Streamliner's Avatar
Streamliner Streamliner is offline
Frequent Lurker
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: California
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
An excellent view of DT. Can see some cranes. From late June. Recommend full screen.

Video Link


What a beautiful city you guys have.
Great video, San Diego has one of the best views for landings. The left side of the plane is pretty good too with the views of Balboa Park, but this side is my favorite.

I had to pause it multiple times just to take in the foreground and background. Lots of construction!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12840  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 3:11 PM
Streamliner's Avatar
Streamliner Streamliner is offline
Frequent Lurker
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: California
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbb View Post
Much more important for a connection to LAX are the two extensions of the LA Metro Green line. There's already a rail connection from San Diego to Norwalk / Santa Fe Springs, and the Green line should connect from there directly to LAX much sooner than high speed rail will be built to San Diego. The connection would likely be faster, too, since high speed rail will only take you to Union Station, from which you'd have to take the (under construction extension of the) Blue line and transfer to the Green line, or the (under construction extension of the) Expo line and transfer to the (under construction) Crenshaw line.
As long as they upgrade Norwalk/Santa Fe Springs to an Amtrak station. It's currently just a Metrolink station, right? Which means you'd have to take the Green Line from LAX to Norwalk, Metrolink to Fullerton or Anaheim or Oceanside, then Amtrak or maybe the COASTER to San Diego.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:37 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.