HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 11:32 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
I biked by the finished product for the first time yesterday. I still have reservations about the fact that it doesn't seem to have much in the way of storefront units, unless I'm missing something. Anything that meets the sidewalk that massively without being broken up is missing our on some of its urbanizing potential. And the finishing materials could be better.
I'm not sure which parts of the ground level are commercial but here's a listing for the building (there are many other listings on that site for commercial space in other new buildings):

http://www.retailatlantic.ca/properties/the-maple/

They say there's 14,000 square feet available, including one large spot designed for a restaurant. I guess that patio faces onto the walkway through the middle of the block? It sounds like this spot is aimed at one of those upscale casual Cactus Club type places.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I'm not sure which parts of the ground level are commercial but here's a listing for the building (there are many other listings on that site for commercial space in other new buildings):

http://www.retailatlantic.ca/properties/the-maple/

They say there's 14,000 square feet available, including one large spot designed for a restaurant. I guess that patio faces onto the walkway through the middle of the block? It sounds like this spot is aimed at one of those upscale casual Cactus Club type places.
The restaurant space seems to already be leased. Signage is up on the windows, and they even have a website: http://exchangeonhollis.ca/
Says coming early 2018.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
The restaurant space seems to already be leased. Signage is up on the windows, and they even have a website: http://exchangeonhollis.ca/
Says coming early 2018.
LOL... moves beyond upscale casual to "premium" casual.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
LOL... moves beyond upscale casual to "premium" casual.
Translation: "You don't need to wear a tie, but you'll pay like you did."

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 6:37 PM

- DJ

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 7:01 PM

I wonder who the restaurant operator is.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 9:39 PM

The coat of arms display looks good!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 8:19 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Bare concrete balconies:

Source

I guess I'll need to see them in person to decide if I like them. The "unfinished" look is just one interpretation. I think they look kind of cool. I still find the northern facade unfortunate.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Bare concrete balconies:

Source

I guess I'll need to see them in person to decide if I like them. The "unfinished" look is just one interpretation. I think they look kind of cool. I still find the northern facade unfortunate.
I will say, if The Roy pulls the same thing I'll be upset. One building with exposed concrete balconies can be considered "by design" or "unique" but no excuse for two buildings to do this imo.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Bare concrete balconies:

Source

Cool shot. Reminds me of those pictures of Hong Kong with apartments in all directions.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2017, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Bare concrete balconies:

Interesting interpretation.

It will be a coup for developers if unfinished concrete is considered 'cool' as they will be able to save a lot of money and be cool at the same time.

However, if this is the case I can see the owners of Fenwick having a major facepalm after spending all that money to cover up the stained unfinished concrete that has graced that building for decades...

Old Posted Jul 16, 2017, 9:48 PM

I don't see the problem with the concrete balconies.
Is this typically something that is not done? I guess this is a relatively new "issue" for Halifax.
Looking at a random street view from Toronto it doesn't appear that anything was done to the bottoms of the balconies (unless I'm not seeing correctly):
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.64188...2!8i6656?hl=en

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I wonder who the restaurant operator is.
I'm pretty sure I recall AllNS saying it's the same operator as the Fish Exchange in St. John's.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoshanMcG View Post
I don't see the problem with the concrete balconies.
Is this typically something that is not done? I guess this is a relatively new "issue" for Halifax.
Looking at a random street view from Toronto it doesn't appear that anything was done to the bottoms of the balconies (unless I'm not seeing correctly):
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.64188...2!8i6656?hl=en
I think it's great if the usual condo purchaser/apartment renter likes the look of the unfinished bottom side of the balconies - it means they are appealing to the market base.

I don't think that this is typically something that is not done, but for my aesthetic sensibilities it makes the building only look half finished, especially in view of the lighter cladding on the building. I'm sure it's not a "Halifax issue", just a "me" issue. I just don't like the look - kind of like buying a shiny new car with the bumpers still being left in flat grey primer - unfinished.

Just to be clear, my original post was a reaction to a photo that jonno posted, where the bottom of the balcony looks stained and inconsistent in finish:

Source

The example you posted doesn't have that appearance - it actually blends in with the cladding to the point I had to look closer to see if it was unfinished (maybe the building isn't cladded?).

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.64183...2!8i6656?hl=en

A small item in the grand scheme of things, and kudos to all who like the look - it's just not my thing.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I'm sure it's not a "Halifax issue", just a "me" issue.
Well, it's definitely not just a "you issue"

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 6:20 PM

I don't like the unfinished look of the underside of cement balconies either especially if prominent and discolored but is there any project in Halifax that has tried to do anything about it? What is a feasible treatment beside painting?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT Hfx View Post
I don't like the unfinished look of the underside of cement balconies either especially if prominent and discolored but is there any project in Halifax that has tried to do anything about it? What is a feasible treatment beside painting?
Clad with sheet metal or similar material.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT Hfx View Post
I dunno... is there any reason (besides cost) that cladding couldn't be used as it is on the top row of the pic below? (jonovision's pic again, cropped)

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 11:19 PM

I don't know of any developer doing it but those high-rent properties should be able to justify the cost. I wonder if cladding the underside would mean having to frame it out? If so, that could change the whole look for the worse.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 4:12 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

My earlier comment was pretty terse but I was getting at the idea that concrete isn't bad per se, that the execution of just about any given architectural material can be either successful or unsuccessful. The balconies look interesting in that photo above. They might not look so good up close; I'm not sure. There was a whole architectural movement (brutalism) that explored the use of bare concrete.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth