HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 12:15 AM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
JuanPaulo over at SSC did this with the original photo from Jareb Arguello
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jarguechi/

Pretty damn awesome if ALL of these came to fruition (even though most will likely not see reality). The general scale of each new highrise looks pretty decent, with the possible exception of Wolf Point South.
Really shows how low that area around the Thompson Center currently is.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 1:18 AM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket49 View Post
Is the very tall tower at the far right of the photo the latest proposal for the Spire's site?
It was a 'visionary' proposal designed by Gensler but nothing more....?

I am heartened by the fact that Related Midwest (who owns the site) hired the former Chicago SOM office head who spealized in supertall buildings to spearhead their re-design for this location.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
It was a 'visionary' proposal designed by Gensler but nothing more....?

I am heartened by the fact that Related Midwest (who owns the site) hired the former Chicago SOM office head who spealized in supertall buildings to spearhead their re-design for this location.
It'll be one of the nicest 800 ft tall towers this side of OBP.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 3:31 AM
Small but Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAgain View Post
It'll be one of the nicest 800 ft tall towers this side of OBP.
In my opinion, due to the hints that Related has given, I believe that they truly want to build something tall there. All of the evidence (even though there isn't a ton of it) points to Michael Pfeffer being hired to help design something big. How about this quote from Related a few months ago that was in a Crain's Article, "Both will impact the skyline, one enormously so. They're important for the city." For me, that is mouthwatering evidence of something big. However, I know that I probably shouldn't be getting my hopes up.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 9:13 AM

The problem with the Spire site is that it can really only be residential. It's not well connected for an office building, and not even very central for a hotel. Developers don't care as much as skyscraper nerds about the visibility of the site, either. They can get amazing views with a 60-story tower.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
The problem with the Spire site is that it can really only be residential. It's not well connected for an office building, and not even very central for a hotel. Developers don't care as much as skyscraper nerds about the visibility of the site, either. They can get amazing views with a 60-story tower.
It's a shit location for office, true, but the development of Vista literally just across the river shows there are worse places for Hotel. I have a feeling we will be getting a Vista sized hotel/condo building once they sell out OBP. Let's hope sales go well at Vista and OBP so Related gets aggressive with this one.

This location is actually pretty spectacular for hotel given the lake views, proximity to Navy Pier and the Lakefront, location right on the Riverwalk, etc. It's got its own ramps right off LSD so lack of access isn't going to be an issue and hopefully DuSable Park and the Navy Pier flyover will offer additional connectivity to the lakefront for any potential hotel here.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 1:28 PM
The City

With Uber and Navy Pier, it's not a terrible place for a hotel. With these new hotels and residences in Streeterville I would expect more retail/restaurants to open up. Alas, the retail is slow to follow. Bockwinkel's is a nice recent addition but it doesn't seem to be doing so well

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
It's a shit location for office, true, but the development of Vista literally just across the river shows there are worse places for Hotel. I have a feeling we will be getting a Vista sized hotel/condo building once they sell out OBP. Let's hope sales go well at Vista and OBP so Related gets aggressive with this one.

This location is actually pretty spectacular for hotel given the lake views, proximity to Navy Pier and the Lakefront, location right on the Riverwalk, etc. It's got its own ramps right off LSD so lack of access isn't going to be an issue and hopefully DuSable Park and the Navy Pier flyover will offer additional connectivity to the lakefront for any potential hotel here.
Related only has 70 condos to sell in OBP.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 2:46 PM

The W-Lakeshore is proof that people want to stay right on the lake, even if they are further from Michigan Ave. I tried to get a room there for the night of the James Taylor Concert at Wrigley (a Sunday night) and it was totally booked. Plus the Sheraton and the Lowes are like less than 1000 feet from the Spire site and they seem to do well...A hotel would be fine, and is probably the only way to really stack on the height everyone wants.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 4:20 PM

The location is better for tourists than business travelers though, because it isn't a good location for an office. That affects the economics of running a hotel because business travelers will pay more. The W brand is at a different price point and it was easy to make that work because they just refurbished an existing structure. Vista is on the other side of the river so more convenient to the East Loop than Streeterville.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 4:56 PM

Isn't Navy Pier, one of the major tourist attractions in Chicago, a stone's throw away from the spire site? Hotels would do great there.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 4:59 PM

625 W Adams

July 22

July 23

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 5:29 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
With Uber and Navy Pier, it's not a terrible place for a hotel. With these new hotels and residences in Streeterville I would expect more retail/restaurants to open up. Alas, the retail is slow to follow. Bockwinkel's is a nice recent addition but it doesn't seem to be doing so well
It's just not a great pedestrian area. The City would have done the area a HUGE favor if it had split up the long blocks before they all got constructed. If the area between St Clair, Huron, Illinois and LSD was 30 smaller square blocks instead of the 15 long blocks it is, it would have been a much better area. Probably better for both cars and pedestrians, since there would have been better car circulation, and the better routing for pedestrians and more "surface area" for street interaction. I know that several of those blocks would have been impossible to split (like the 680 N LSD building) but even if the city only split up 1/2 or 2/3 of the blocks it would have made a big difference. That park by OBP is good, and people "in the know" can walk through a few other blocks, but it's really too late to spit many of the blocks now. City might encourage NMH to split their giant grass field in exchange for the far of the area replaced by a street being made available for the two small blocks.

Of course in the area around NMH those enormous parking garages don't do anything to liven up the area, either. If people don't like walking in their neighborhood, they'll drive to another one. That's why there's proportionally little retail on the west end of River North, too. I think both areas will eventually get more pedestrians and retail, but it'll be a slow slog since they both have entirely too much parking available to really have a "captive pedestrian" audience right now. Letting any additional residential have zero parking ratio would help, though.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 6:08 PM

165 N Desplanesq

July 23

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 6:11 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
The location is better for tourists than business travelers though, because it isn't a good location for an office. That affects the economics of running a hotel because business travelers will pay more. The W brand is at a different price point and it was easy to make that work because they just refurbished an existing structure. Vista is on the other side of the river so more convenient to the East Loop than Streeterville.
True, but there are still myriad numbers of tourists that come to Chicago who are willing to spend more for a hotel (4&5 star), even at the Spire location. Being on the north side of the river is actually more advantageous by your logic, because Streeterville is a couple of blocks from North Michigan Ave, River North AND Navy Pier, so..

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 6:56 PM

CNA - 151 N Franklin

July 18
Almost there

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 12:40 AM

The Emerson - Oak Park Station

July 2

July 9

July 17
Finishing coat

July 19

July 22

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 1:45 PM

According to ChiArch GEMS 2 has begun construction.

It hasn't actually but apparently they got a letter from the GEMS CEO saying construction is starting in earnest.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
According to ChiArch GEMS 2 has begun construction.

It hasn't actually but apparently they got a letter from the GEMS CEO saying construction is starting in earnest.
The real question ChiArch should be asking is not whether it's possible for a highrise to begin construction without anyone noticing, but whether it is possible for a highrise to be under construction without any people or equipment on site... Just the other day the site was being used for Vista staging, Gems is not under construction....

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 2:21 PM
BANNED

^What's worse; our cheeto fingers, or dependence on posting clickbait like this in order to pay your bills? Regardless, I'm sure the letter is authentic and actual construction will indeed start soon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations