HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 5:37 PM

Some maps from Statscan today:

Calgary CMA:

Calgary Proper:

Calgary, continuous occupied area [Population Centre]:

Calgary, Economic Region:

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 7:37 PM

Alberta Finance usually produces a nice report for every census release

http://www.finance.alberta.ca/abouta...ing-counts.pdf

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 5:44 PM
That's no excuse!

^ Other than for the multiple references to Minnesota (MN).

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 2:48 AM
ARTchitecture

Delete.

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton

Last edited by Chadillaccc; Mar 16, 2017 at 3:17 AM.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 3:16 AM
ARTchitecture

Assuming 10% growth for the Calgary Economic Region between 2016 and 2031, the Calgary Economic Region will reach 2 020 000 by census 2031. Keep in mind though, that 10% would be a significant drop from what we have been experiencing for the past 20 years. This may be in store for sure.

Alternatively, if we grow by the same rate we just grew at over the last census, 14.3%, we'll be 2 290 000 by 2031, meaning the CMA will be almost 2.2 million even if Foothills M.D. isn't included by then. Guess if those pipelines are built we'll be into some really good times!

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Assuming 10% growth for the Calgary Economic Region between 2016 and 2031, the Calgary Economic Region will reach 2 020 000 by census 2031. Keep in mind though, that 10% would be a significant drop from what we have been experiencing for the past 20 years. This may be in store for sure.
I'm not sure I follow your math here Chad.

Assuming a 10% growth rate over 15 years or .67% average annual growth rate, that implies that the current 2016 population of the CER is 1.83 million. That seems astoundingly high to me.

Alternatively I think your growth rate is too low. 0.67% is anemic, and even if oil doesn't recover soon, which seems likely, that still seems low to me. I think Calgary's stabilized growth rate over the next 5-10 years will be somewhere in the 1.1-1.3% AAGR range.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
I'm not sure I follow your math here Chad.

Assuming a 10% growth rate over 15 years or .67% average annual growth rate, that implies that the current 2016 population of the CER is 1.83 million. That seems astoundingly high to me.

Alternatively I think your growth rate is too low. 0.67% is anemic, and even if oil doesn't recover soon, which seems likely, that still seems low to me. I think Calgary's stabilized growth rate over the next 5-10 years will be somewhere in the 1.1-1.3% AAGR range.
The Calgary CMA population is 1.4M today. Assuming moderate economic growth, it will add approximately 200K over the next ten years. We all like to argue these numbers, but I can close to guarantee (give or the take) 1.6M will be Calgary's CMA population in 2026. Only major unforeseen shocks (war, economic collapse or massive boom) can really shift the needle on bigger cities population counts.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia