HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 6:31 AM

Gensler has been killing it with major Downtown projects lately. I just learned they are also designing a re-do of the Silicon Labs' buildings. The redesign will mainly be an interior update. But the building across San Antonio St. from Northshore will get an exterior update - at least on the Cesar Chavez side.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Last edited by The ATX; Aug 8, 2017 at 6:44 AM.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 7:11 PM

I did not see a thread for 801 Barton Springs, so I posted these pictures here. I took these at lunch today (Aug-11-17).

I think that this is a good angle showing how deep the building is.

This one is going to look almost exactly like the rendering.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 12:00 AM

I can't see past ABJ paywall, but it stated that Whole Foods is about to expand in a big way, a possible new tower?

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...n-hq-city.html

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 12:02 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
I can't see past ABJ paywall, but it stated that Whole Foods is about to expand in a big way, a possible new tower?

Drone delivery...?

But in all seriousness, is the lower building in the CVC by Shoal Creek Walk accounted for already?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Drone delivery...?

But in all seriousness, is the lower building in the CVC by Shoal Creek Walk accounted for already?
I'm not too sure. I believe the developers for Shoal Creek Walk was planning a 6 story building sometime last year.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 12:19 AM

Back during Whole Foods peak (in stock price) - 2013/2014 - they bought/optioned a chunk of real estate across Lamar to create a corporate campus.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 12:27 AM

This will be a big expansion on WF part, but I doubt we'll see any significant height from this proposal. After all that part is under the cvc.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 12:58 AM

Here's the July 2014 Statesman article about Whole Foods expanding their HQ across Lamar:

http://www.statesman.com/business/wh...Vy7pN7MDi3LfJ/

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 1:20 AM

Here you go:

Quote:
Whole Foods, Inc, appears to be taking steps to expand its downtown Austin corporate headquarters to a development under construction across the street.

Whole Foods would occupy a second building that could be built at 835 W. Sixth St., where Schlosser Development Co. is building the Shoal Creek Walk office tower, according to city documents examined by Austin Business Journal.

This area next to the Shoal Creek Walk construction site could be converted into a second tower, according to the city documents.

I spoke briefly to Will Marsh at Endeavor Real Estate Group on Aug. 10 to seek comment about the information I uncovered — because he appears to be heading up the development process on behalf of Whole Foods and in cooperation with Schlosser Development. He had not yet responded as of mid-day Friday. ABJ has also reached out to Whole Foods for comment.

The proposed site of the new office building is in the the center of the photo attached to this article, between Shoal Creek Walk under construction to the left and The Bowie apartment tower at far right.

The area is a very condensed half-block of construction. Documents indicate that a pedestrian bridge is in the works that would link Whole Food’s corporate office and flagship store to the Shoal Creek Walk development, which is several months from completion.

That 15-story Shoal Creek Walk mostly will be occupied by Cirrus Logic Inc., another Austin-based public company that is overflowing at its current headquarters on Sixth Street.

Original plans reviewed
Schlosser Development had always contemplated a second building at that Shoal Creek Walk site, but didn’t talk about it too much when development plans were approved in 2013.

A deeper inspection into Schlosser’s original plans show the site could accommodate a five-story, 185,000-square-foot building in addition to the 220,000-square-foot Shoal Creek Walk.

There have been rumors floating around that Hut’s Hamburgers and its affiliated restaurant, Frank & Angie’s Pizza, might be slated for demolition to make way for more office construction, but that doesn’t appear to be the case with this deal. The restaurants are to the east of Shoal Creek, beyond the Shoal Creek Walk development boundary. Hut's owner Mike Hutchinson said the well-known restaurant has no plans to move.

Until now it doesn’t appear that there was much urgency to add another building to the Shoal Creek Walk project, but a couple of significant factors have surfaced.

First, the existing site plan is due to expire next month. If Schlosser doesn’t utilize all the land development entitlements it received in 2012 and 2013, the process would have to start anew for another building — a significant delay and expense.

Second, Whole Foods may feel the need to expand its corporate headquarters quickly with the blockbuster acquisition by Amazon.com Inc. pending.

Here’s what I know for now:

City documents show that Endeavor's Will Marsh filed Aug. 7 for an time extension of Schlosser’s Shoal Creek Walk site permit.

Both Endeavor and Schlosser have deep real estate ties with Whole Foods, so it’s not surprising that both are cooperating on this.

Documents filed by Endeavor include a letter from Joseph Longaro of LJA Engineering asking for a five-year extension that would allow construction of a second building along with an above-ground parking garage.

Longaro has been representing Schlosser throughout its development process of Shoal Creek Walk.

Capitol view corridors at play?

A key filing at the city which seems to signify that Whole Foods is ready to move is a May 30 request by Longaro for Capitol view corridor determination — the cost of which was billed to Whole Foods, according to public records.

The Capitol view corridor determination is something uniquely Austin. Years ago, City Council passed an ordinance protecting several views of the Texas Capitol from various locations. Though it doesn’t appear that the Shoal Creek Walk tower under construction is within the corridor, a second building could be limited to some degree by the view corridor between the Capitol and locations southwest of downtown.

A spokeswoman for the city said the Capitol view corridor determination would likely be finished by city staff in the next few days.

Here’s a chronology of what I’ve been able to ascertain about the potential Whole Foods expansion.

Austin-based Schlosser, which developed Whole Foods’ original flagship store and headquarters, filed for a site plan for Shoal Creek Walk in 2011. It received entitlements for 430,000 square feet of office space and 44,600 square feet of retail space on a 2.71-acre parcel east of Bowie Street between Fifth and Sixth streets. Those plans were formally approved in 2012.

Schlosser began construction in summer 2015 of phase I of Shoal Creek Walk — about 220,000 square feet of the land entitlements it received from the city, or a small portion of the 430,000 square feet granted. Though it openly marketed the office space to the business community, Cirrus Logic quickly signed up for several floors. Several other tenants are also under contract to occupy the building.

On March 30 of this year Longaro wrote a letter to the city development staff, describing a “correction” to the Shoal Creek Walk project that would create “two separate phases.” This appears to be the first formal acknowledgement of another building. Phase 2, he wrote, would include another tower, an above-ground parking garage and a water irrigation tank.

Longaro filed a request for a Capitol view corridor determination on May 30 for the second building — which would outline how many stories could be built without encroaching the view corridor.

Marsh signed a request for an overall site plan extension of Shoal Creek Walk on July 31. Richard Duggan, an executive with Schlosser, also signed off the same day, according to the documents filed with the city.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 1:34 AM

Thanks for posting that. The ABJ actually did some good research. The CVC on the site is narrow and only goes through the center of the block. A thin tower could still be built. But the Shoal Creek setback requirements would make that difficult.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...016018145&z=18

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 1:35 AM

All I could read in there was the spec of HUTS being demolished.
I would be handcuffing myself to a hamburger to stop that from happening.
That would be a true crime.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 2:19 AM

It does help to explain the skywalk connector that we discussed a week or so ago.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 2:28 AM

The Texas Bankers Association at 203 W. 10th St. - just West of the Governor's mansion - could be the site of a point tower. Here it is from Streetview:

A CVC determination was made last week to a 05/30 filing indicating a thin, angled point tower might be possible.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/attachme...rD0wp4vg%3D%3D

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 2:39 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
The current Texas Bankers Association building is something I think should be preserved, rather than redeveloped. I hope if any proposal moves forward that they integrate the existing facade and wrap porch to the highest extent possible.

Sadly, that probably won't be the case.

One correction tho: it is immediately to the south of the Governor's Mansion.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 5:11 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post

Interesting. I ran across the site plan the other day which is in review:

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...rtyrsn=3096147
Quote:
Project Name: Sixth + Lamar East Block

835 W 6TH ST AUSTIN TX 78703

Applicant - Eandeavor Real Estate Group (Will Marsh)
500 W 5th ST Austin TX 78701

Billed TO - WHOLE FOODS (DAN SCHEIB)
550 BOWIE ST AUSTIN TX 78703

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 5:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Interesting. I ran across the site plan the other day which is in review:

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...rtyrsn=3096147
Since they are requesting an extension of the already approved site plan, I don't think this will be a "second tower" as the ABJ article stated. It just means WF will occupy the already planned five story office building, and the developer needs to speed up the construction.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 7:58 AM
World Traveler

As I read that, and as we've seen/heard about plans there, it makes sense to me that they would just use the currently planned building under the CVC. I don't think a thin slice of a tower will be built. Just the 5-6 floor building. Even so, good to have that portion occupied if this is indeed the case.

Also, MichaelB, I don't see those restaurants going anywhere anytime soon.

I would rather see the surface lot across Shoal Creek from the Cirrus Logic building (6th St/Wood St) get developed before taking out or relocating some local eateries. Just a tiny little sliver of that building on the SE corner falls under the CVC. The rest is fine.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
The current Texas Bankers Association building is something I think should be preserved, rather than redeveloped. I hope if any proposal moves forward that they integrate the existing facade and wrap porch to the highest extent possible.

Sadly, that probably won't be the case.

One correction tho: it is immediately to the south of the Governor's Mansion.
Do you have info on the age of the building? I did a quick look and couldn't find anything
I had always taken it as either a faux historical 80s building or so slipcover all history has been covered up.
Would love to know.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 5:05 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
I don't I just think it's beautiful.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 6:00 PM

Just did a quick search of the Travis County tax records which show that the TBA building was built in 1980.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin