HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 6:27 AM

Apparently the Stevens Creek & Winchester & Santana Row Urban Village plans were all approved tonight and $150k has been raised for a new light tower to be made in downtown San Jose.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 7:42 AM

Milpitas BART as of Aug 6 (Doesn't look much different):

Road way connect Milpitas Blvd still does not have pavement:

Looks like they're building the housing units now:

West of Milpitas BART. These are supposed to open by Spring 2018:

2 photos Northwest of Milpitas BART:

12-story Piper Drive building (North of Milpitas BART):

Rendering:

Overall housing units being built North of Milpitas BART:

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 5:06 PM

Looks like they will open up the middle part of Montague Expressway in Milpitas (Next to the BART) this weekend. I saw them putting cement/pavement down and will most likely paint the lanes tomorrow and open to the public on Sunday. After, they should start work on the last 1/3 of Montague Expressway until the fall and finally connect Milpitas Blvd to the BART station.

Incase you guys aren't aware, it's this part:

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 7:16 PM

I didn't say crime isn't up. I said it's not at epidemic proportions. You make it sound you'll get robbed and murdered ten times in a row if you ride BART in the east bay/Oakland (you notice that the uptick in BART crimes isn't specific to the east bay anyways? Last i checked, BART serves SF too), while the only problems in SF are supposedly a few harmless homeless people who smell funny. Meanwhile, bad shit happens on BART in SF too, and muni has tons of problems as well, probably more, if you ask me (though that's not a hot news topic).

Sounds like typical "east bay is scary" hysteria from someone who doesn't really know that much about the east bay (or SF, honestly...the rough side of it, at least), to me. Seen it a thousand times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
The SF stations you mention are in deplorable condition with homeless types laying around on the floor, panhandlers and sometimes a "demonstration" that completely shuts down the system. All that shouldn't be allowed and BART should be using it's private police force to stop. But I'm not aware of any mobs of teens or anyone else victimizing the vulnerable and stealing from them at these stations. Disgusting is one thing--these stations are that--dangerous is another.
lol, dude, you really need to take off those rose-colored glasses and pay more attention, and you also need to realize that the media is currently in "oakland BART crime hype mode," simply because of two close-together mob robberies that were highly publicized. Local media has often given preferential attention to crime in Oakland over crime in SF, when it comes to identical things that affect both cities. The pattern is pretty clear when you've been paying attention to local crime news for decades.

Anyways, here are the results from the first three pages of a quick google search for "BART station san francisco assault robbed robbery stabbing":

Tenderloin Crime: BART Platform Attack, Life-Threatening Stabbing, T-Shirt Robbery, More
BART passenger allegedly attacked by man with machete
BART: Two stabbed with ‘large knife’ at Civic Center station
Man pushed down stairs, stabbed at Civic Center BART station
Arrest made in Civic Center BART station stabbing
Two BART passengers pepper sprayed during robbery attempt
San Francisco Police Arrest Suspect In Three Stabbing Incidents
Station agent stabbed outside Powell BART

And aside from that last incident where the station agent was stabbed, that's not even getting into stuff right outside of SF BART stations (the tenderloin and mission have plenty of sketchiness going on), or on MUNI, which includes multiple recent mob-style robberies, similar to what got so much attention in Oakland.

Actually, here's one recent example from MUNI, just to get the point across:

Woman Dragged Off Muni Bus, Assaulted, Robbed By 10 People

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 1:56 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Could we move this discussion to a more appropriate thread please?

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...176750&page=82

It's somewhat ridiculously imature to argue about mass transit crime in a San Francisco versus East Bay cat fight, especially when BART is a rather disgusting version of what it once was no matter where it's rolling.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post

Could we move this discussion to a more appropriate thread please?

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...176750&page=82

It's somewhat ridiculously imature to argue about mass transit crime in a San Francisco versus East Bay cat fight, especially when BART is a rather disgusting version of what it once was no matter where it's rolling.
No "versus" intended (nor did I inject that issue when I initially mentioned the recent upsurge in BART crime and its possible effects on the future of the system). Both transit systems are in trouble and crime is part of the reason. SF Business Times carried another article this week about Muni's loss of ridership: https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...-planning.html . There are many reasons for it, but I can say in my case the perception of danger and rank unpleasantness of the experience is part of it. I have at least one non-car-owning friend in SF who will no longer ride Muni at all, relying entirely on walking and Uber/Lyft. BART is at risk of the same phenomenon and what's most disconcerting is not the crime itself but the cavalier, uncaring approach of management on both systems toward it. At its current level, it could be suppressed if there were the will to do so.

The question for this thread is has BART maybe gotten too big for its ability to be properly managed. San Francisco's representative on the BART Board, Bevan Dufty, was on TV the other day expressing doubts about any BART expansion to Livermore based on the need to use available funds to better maintain and manage the existing system. I am changing my own mind about this. I use to think the more ground BART covered, the better. I'm not sure now. And let's suppose the downtrend in public perception of these systems persists. As they lose public support and eventually, if not yet in BART's case, ridership, what happens to the "transit-oriented" development based on their continued effective functioning? Will people want to live next to and depend on a dysfunctional system?

Consider (and this is at a time when car owning has been made steadily less convenient and traffic has gotten much worse):

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...-planning.html

Last edited by Pedestrian; Aug 12, 2017 at 2:42 AM.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 6:55 AM
heavy user of walkability

Hayward Park (San Mateo)

Hillsdale/Bay Meadows

next office building underway

housing

Genesis building (SSF)

San Carlos - this is the building furthest along of the four in progress in the transit village project

the parking lot on the north side of the station has been dug up now that part of the new one on the south side has opened

the 'transit center' part of the parking lot on the south side is still in progress

even some green coming

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 1:00 AM

Hi everyone, longtime lurker who just decided to make an account and contribute something here. I haven’t lived in the Bay Area for about six years now, but I still like to follow what’s been going on every now and then. Anyway, I was just back to where I grew up on the Peninsula and thought I’d update everyone with some pictures regarding Mountain View’s San Antonio Precise Plan. Essentially, a few years ago Mountain View decided they were going to upgrade the auto-centric shopping center in the San Antonio neighborhood into a thriving, modern, mixed-use neighborhood. This project is still underway, but here are some pictures I took when I biked around the area yesterday.

First of all, here is a map of the project area, with the San Antonio Caltrain station and ROW highlighted in green. Most of you, if you commute by Caltrain, probably only see the rows of cute condos, and are unaware of all the activity just beyond. Hopefully, all of this TOD will really elevate San Antonio’s ridership, just like how TOD developments in the Bay Meadows, Redwood City, and San Carlos (which both get frequent updates on the forum) are. Still new here, so I hope I did the sourcing right, if I don't credit anyone, then that photo was taken by me.

Here is the list of projects:

Google Maps

Recently completed (within last few years)
1. The Village at San Antonio Phase I
2. Colonnade Los Altos
3. Domus on the Boulevard Apartments
4. Los Altos Gardens

Currently Under Construction
5. The Village at San Antonio Phase II
6. Prometheus at 400 San Antonio Rd
7. 4880 El Camino
8. 2645 & 2655 Fayette Drive
9. 897 N. San Antonio Rd

Approved
10. 394 Ortega Ave
11. North of California Street development

Planning
12. Federal Realty San Antonio Shopping Center

1. The Village at San Antonio Phase I

This is the project that really kicked off the whole thing. Growing up, this place was just a big box Sears and a gigantic, perpetually empty parking lot:

Photo credit: Silicon Valley Business Journal

I think most of us can agree that it looks a lot better now:

Rendering by Merlone Geier Partners

They even added a nice little no leash dog park into the development, which is great to have and something that was lacking in the area before.

2. Colonnade Los Altos

Some of the developments I’ve listed here are also from neighboring Los Altos, whose El Camino zoning rules encourage more density and mixed use than the rest of the city and is right next to Mountain View’s San Antonio developments.

Colonnade is a mixed use development with apartments and some retail, with a few short blocks of condos in the back. It replaced a couple single story retail structures and parking lots. From my understanding, Stanford University has bought the whole place out to house its professors, highlighting the housing crisis this area faces.

3. Domus on the Boulevard Apartments

Four-story cookie cutter apartments:

4. Los Altos Gardens

Three story cookie cutter apartments, with some offices:

5. The Village at San Antonio Phase II

This is the second phase of developer Merlone Geier’s The Village at San Antonio development. While the first featured housing and retail, this one unfortunately includes no housing and will only add to Mountain View’s office stock and jobs imbalance, along with a movie theater and a hotel. Still, this is a step up from the big box store design that Ross occupied and giant unused parking lot that used to exist here.

Rendering by Merlone Geier

Some office buildings

This used to be where Shockley Labs was located. To those unfamiliar, this is commonly regarded as the birthplace of Silicon Valley. The developer has stated that they plan to erect some sort of statue or plaque to memorialize the location’s history.

This is where the hotel and movie theater will go. I like the wavy skin they added to the parking structure.

6. Prometheus at 400 San Antonio Rd

This mixed use development will add 583 units to the city’s housing stock, in two five-story and one seven-story apartments, the height of which has definitely caused some consternation among the neighbors.

Rendering by Prometheus

Construction is moving along pretty quickly, a month ago it was just dirt in a hole.

7. 4880 El Camino

The unanimous city council approval of this five story apartment building has led to a collective freak out in NIMBY Los Altos, leading to a moratorium on all new construction on El Camino that was only just lifted. Once completed, it will become the tallest building in the city. On the other hand, my only complaint was that the neighboring Jack in the Box and parking lot wasn’t gobbled up as part of this development.

Renderings on Los Altos Politico Blog

Seriously though, if you look at its neighbors across the street in Mountain View, the height doesn’t really stand out that much.

Construction is already underway

8. 2645 & 2655 Fayette Drive

This four-story, 24-unit apartment building replaces six single family homes and a small commercial building.

Rendering by the DeNardi Group

One of the single family homes that is being demolished for this project

9. 897 N. San Antonio Road

Not much to say except I wish Los Altos built more of those five story apartments on prime land like this, instead of just two stories, although the lot is admittedly pretty small.

10. 394 Ortega Ave.
This development by Anton Cortega is a four-story 144-unit apartment building that replaces one(!) single family home that used to be on some sort of a farm.

Rendering by Anton Cortega

The farmland has already been cleared and prepped for construction:

11. North of California street development

This as of now unnamed development replaces an old shopping center anchored by Safeway (that has since moved to the Village Phase I development), and a two-story office structure. It will add 642 new residential units and 16,6000 square feet of new commercial space. There have been some delays in getting this project off the ground; first, the Los Altos School District was eyeing the property for a new elementary school, but that deal didn’t work out. Also, Planned Parenthood operates a clinic on this property (you can see it on the left corner of the first Village Phase II photo), and before any construction can start they need to find a new home. The good news is that Santa Clara county appears to have struck a deal for them to share space in the new county clinic. No renderings exist yet but the part of the lot where Safeway used to be has been unoccupied for years, so I’m excited for ground to finally break.

12. Federal Realty San Antonio Shopping Center

This will be by far the largest development to happen in the neighborhood, and once it is done, will complete the redevelopment of San Antonio shopping center. This project is still a pipe dream, and even though owner Federal Realty submitted a plan to the city two years ago, there is a jumble of lease agreements that need to expire before any construction can start. So the future buildout of this project will likely take years and be done piece by piece. In the meantime, this prime land, next to a VTA/Stanford bus hub and Caltrain station, will remain a sea of surface parking brought to you by Walmart and Kohl’s.

Diagram from Los Altos Politico Blog

Federal Realty was supposed to submit a plan to the City Council earlier this year, but for some reason decided not to. So for now, the future of this lot is up in the air.

Well there you have it, a master list of all the TOD projects that will make up this newly revamped San Antonio neighborhood in Mountain View. I hope you guys enjoyed reading this as much as I did putting it together!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 4:23 AM
Surrounded by Nature

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Extremely well and thoroughly done misken67--what a great contribution and entrance to the Forum! Thanks for bringing Mountain View into focus.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misken67 View Post
10. 394 Ortega Ave.
This development by Anton Cortega is a four-story 144-unit apartment building that replaces one(!) single family home that used to be on some sort of a farm.

Rendering by Anton Cortega
Quite a first post!

One quibble: you call these TOD, i.e., transit oriented, but some, despite being near a train station and being somewhat dense, still seem to be a bit heavy on the car worship.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 5:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
Quite a first post!

One quibble: you call these TOD, i.e., transit oriented, but some, despite being near a train station and being somewhat dense, still seem to be a bit heavy on the car worship.
You're completely right, of course. But sometimes, when dealing with places like Mountain View you can't have really high expectations. The highly touted Box hq in Redwood City is also unfortunately chock full of parking, despite being right next to Caltrain.

Maybe in another fifty years, when its time for the next neighborhood renewal, we'll be able to do it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Extremely well and thoroughly done misken67--what a great contribution and entrance to the Forum! Thanks for bringing Mountain View into focus.
Thank yu for your kind words!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 6:15 PM

Wow, what an entrance! That was an amazing first post misken67 and welcome to the forum!

Just wondering, you mentioned that you haven't lived in the Bay Area for 6 years, where do you reside now? I only ask people I would love to see more posts like this from you for the Bay Area

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
Wow, what an entrance! That was an amazing first post misken67 and welcome to the forum!

Just wondering, you mentioned that you haven't lived in the Bay Area for 6 years, where do you reside now? I only ask people I would love to see more posts like this from you for the Bay Area
I spent four years in Atlanta, and the past two years in China, and am returning there in a month. I visit the Bay Area frequently, and hope to move back here some day. I'm glad you liked the post, there's some more development going on elsewhere in Mountain View that I'll share updates on once I get the chance to visit!

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 6:35 PM

Great America's new roller coaster was just announced today. They should've placed Levi's Stadium in the rendering also:

https://www.facebook.com/cagreatamer...55060256408155

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 6:39 PM

That looks like a good hangover cure--- I'll pass.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 6:40 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
Great America's new roller coaster was just announced today. They should've placed Levi's Stadium in the rendering also:

https://www.facebook.com/cagreatamer...55060256408155
Nice, almost reminds me of Medusa in Vallejo.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 8:29 PM

Hey everyone, I had the chance to walk through downtown Mountain View the other day by the Castro street station and took some pictures of the TOD around the Caltrain station and downtown:

1. Greystar (801 El Camino Real)
On the southern corner of El Camino and Castro, this is a four-story mixed use development with 164 units and 10,800 sq ft of retail/commercial.

2. 231-235 Hope Street
A four story, nine-unit condo project:

3. 881 Castro Street
A four-story mixed use project with 8,500 sq feet of ground floor retail and 18 condo units. This will replace three single story retail units:

4. St. Joseph's Church
This is a big one. It replaces the church parking lot with a 4-story office building with 96,500 sq ft and 8,000 sq ft of ground floor retail along Castro, and 12 condo units and a church parish along Hope Street.

Castro street frontage (rendering by Sobrato Group):

Hope street frontage (rendering by Sobrato Group):

And a picture of the crane from a distance:

5. Prometheus 100 Moffet Blvd.
Three four-story apartment buildings totaling 184 units, located across Central Expwy from the Caltrain/light rail/bus station in Downtown Mountain View:

6. Castro grade separation
Last year, the Mountain View city council voted to close Castro Road at the tracks, construct a pedestrian/bike tunnel or bridge across Central Expressway to connect with the Prometheus development (#5), and connect Evelyn with an on-ramp to nearby Shoreline Blvd, which is grade separated.

For those of you unfamiliar with the local geography, the plan is simply to end the road at the tracks and build a ped/bike pathway:

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 4:38 AM

yay, go Mountain View! and thanks misken67!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2017, 10:15 PM

San Carlos

update on San Carlos Caltrain environs...

on the north side of the station, the transit village progresses... moving north to south...

building 1

continuing south over Holly St, the former parking lot on the north side of the station depot is now being demolished so buildings 5, 6, and 7 (this last of which is small, and retail) can rise

the parking lot immediately to the south of the depot, where there will be a larger retail building, has not been touched yet.

south of that little lot, the transit center expansion project appears to be approaching its finish line.

again, moving north to south (left to right in the image above)

a typical section of parking lot

little turnaround at the south end

this little plaza at the outlet of a pedestrian passage under the tracks was already there and not part of the project, but does cap its southern end

Last edited by timbad; Aug 26, 2017 at 10:56 PM.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2017, 5:43 AM

various from this last week...

the Genesis one by San Bruno Mtn, moving north to south

Hayward Park. the second building in the foreground will soon block out the first one behind it

the excavation for the third L-shaped office building at Bay Meadows

and the last bits of housing in progress near the current Hillsdale Caltrain station

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations