HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 2:22 PM

On the whole, this building, while not stunning in design, is much better than a parking lot. Thousands more people in Midtown adding to the street life five days a week. This area is becoming extremely dense.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk1292000 View Post
I like the top of the building much better than the bottom ^^^.
The only issue with that rendering is CODA will be partially blocking this view for the Anthem folks

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
If Anthem is leasing the whole building:

1800 employees / 352,000 sqft building = 195 sqft per employee
3000 employees / 352,000 sqft building = 117 sqft per employee
It's worth noting this is a planned 2-tower development project as well.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 2:52 PM
BANNED

Below is an article from the Atlanta Constitution on the Anthem/Portman announcement. If we cut through the crap writing, it appears Anthem is leasing the whole building and it will house 1800 employees they already announced last year <and> this site allows them to expand to 3000 employees in the future - which I assume they would need to build a second office building.

The Atlanta Business Chronicle (ABC) is really becoming a horrible news source. The article they released yesterday about Amazon selecting Atlanta for a Tech hub was complete SENSATIONALISM. Amazon did not announce any new jobs in Atlanta yesterday. However, two weeks ago Amazon announced they were leasing 25K sqft in Atlantic Station for a Logistics/IT center. The ABC took the prior announcement and reworded it as a breaking news story yesterday. They are really becoming a tabloid more than a news source..

Quote:
The new Midtown tower will offer the company room for potential future expansion to 3,000 IT professionals, a spokeswoman said.
http://www.ajc.com/business/anthem-t...7LYdl0RYkP4LL/

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 2:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctk2014 View Post
It's worth noting this is a planned 2-tower development project as well.
I get that, but the announcement today only mentioned ONE 12/21 story building for 1800/3000 employees.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 3:35 PM

The top looks vastly better than before. It used to look like someone who was about to lose in Tetris. Now it has some cohesion at least.

I wish it had 10 stores more height to make it fill in the skyline more, but heck, I say go for it.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 3:50 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk1292000 View Post
On the whole, this building, while not stunning in design, is much better than a parking lot. Thousands more people in Midtown adding to the street life five days a week. This area is becoming extremely dense.
Indeed.

The folks I know back in Detroit still think Atlanta is one gigantic suburb with a weak core. They obviously haven't visited in the past 10 years, because Midtown in particular is rapidly becoming a solid urban neighborhood.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 4:09 PM

Opus 2 Delay

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperpage17 View Post
Indeed.

The folks I know back in Detroit still think Atlanta is one gigantic suburb with a weak core. They obviously haven't visited in the past 10 years, because Midtown in particular is rapidly becoming a solid urban neighborhood.
I really want this to trickle into downtown. Downtown has better bones than midtown, just far fewer people living there. Downtown just doesn’t have the access to a massive park like piedmont that so many frequent for recreation. COP just doesn’t compare whatsoever in my book. EST light rail would really give residences imdowntown unrivaled access to other neighborhoods.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNR View Post
That's a little disappointing, but as of today the building plan review is approved.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 4:38 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
I really want this to trickle into downtown. Downtown has better bones than midtown, just far fewer people living there. Downtown just doesn’t have the access to a massive park like piedmont that so many frequent for recreation. COP just doesn’t compare whatsoever in my book. EST light rail would really give residences imdowntown unrivaled access to other neighborhoods.
I think the main problem with downtown is it's so much further away from the wealthier / more populated parts of the city. Buckhead and Midtown bleed into each other fairly seamlessly, whereas downtown is comparatively far.

But it definitely has good bones (better than Midtown). If it can get another major corporate office or two, I think it will take off.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 5:13 PM

Quote:
I think the main problem with downtown is it's so much further away from the wealthier / more populated parts of the city. Buckhead and Midtown bleed into each other fairly seamlessly, whereas downtown is comparatively far.

But it definitely has good bones (better than Midtown). If it can get another major corporate office or two, I think it will take off.
I feel like midtown and downtown are much closer than buckhead. If CAP would work on infill in the area between North & Ivan Allen, including the stitch, we could have a massive, walkable urban area, that is very well connected with transit (once the streetcar and BRT/arterial routes get built out).

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 5:19 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTAisSmarta View Post
I feel like midtown and downtown are much closer than buckhead. If CAP would work on infill in the area between North & Ivan Allen, including the stitch, we could have a massive, walkable urban area, that is very well connected with transit (once the streetcar and BRT/arterial routes get built out).
If it's any consolation, even NYC faces a somewhat similar issue.

Aside from Wall Street, there isn't much action in their downtown either. Everything else is happening in Midtown Manhanttan. Like downtown Atlanta, Lower Manhattan is mostly a 9-5 business center.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 5:26 PM

Quote:
If it's any consolation, even NYC faces a somewhat similar issue.

Aside from Wall Street, there isn't much action in their downtown either. Everything else is happening in Midtown Manhanttan. Like downtown Atlanta, Lower Manhattan is mostly a 9-5 business center.
as someone with a place in Chelsea i would beg to differ.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepope117 View Post
as someone with a place in Chelsea i would beg to differ.
Agreed. Downtown Manhattan isn't as lively as Midtown and some other areas at night, but it's miles ahead of most other urban areas in the country, including anything in Atlanta.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 5:40 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by testarossa50 View Post
Agreed. Downtown Manhattan isn't as lively as Midtown and some other areas at night, but it's miles ahead of most other urban areas in the country, including anything in Atlanta.
There's some action in Lower Manhanttan, but it pales in comparison to Midtown (where majority of the shopping and theatres are).

True, it's miles ahead as far as nightlife compared to other cities, but I meant by NYC's standards. It's all relative.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
I would think the Centennial remodel will help with that. I agree re downtown having better bones (as a Midtowner for life). It also gets significant tourist foot traffic, it is almost as connected as Midtown to transit, and it obviously has a significant business population. I love all the focus on midtown development, but I think Downtown has real potential.

The problem with Midtown right now is that we are so isolated. yes, we are between Buckhead and Downtown, but both neighborhoods can feel miles away (Buckhead because of the traffic and lack of transit anywhere between 10th St and Lenox and Downtown because of the dead areas and homeless issues between North and 5 points). I think connecting Downtown and Midtown makes much more sense than trying to tie Buckhead in more (plus, those folks don't want to associate with us anyway).

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 8:40 PM
BANNED

Crazy story:

Atlanta housing agency: $120M windfall for developer in disputed deal
http://www.myajc.com/news/local/atla...3M9n1139lJXjL/

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 8:52 PM

It's a shame Anthem isn't anchoring this instead.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
It's a shame Anthem isn't anchoring this instead.
Why? With Anthem taking 740 W. Peachtree, we get 2 towers going up instead.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations