HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
While the box and parking deck is ugly as sin, especially as there's nearly as much parking space in this project as actually office space, but my god am I happy to see more jobs coming to Midtown. The more jobs people can take MARTA, walk, or bike to, the better
The parking is completely wrapped in glass and looks like another part of the building with retail at the street-- you can object to parking in general but not to the way this is handled--

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTAisSmarta View Post
I feel like midtown and downtown are much closer than buckhead. If CAP would work on infill in the area between North & Ivan Allen, including the stitch, we could have a massive, walkable urban area, that is very well connected with transit (once the streetcar and BRT/arterial routes get built out).
I agree, I think if the Stitch starts, you'll see the connections and development roll into downtown even more to connect Midtown and Downtown.

I still believe there may inevitably be development that connects all the way to Ponce City Market too decades down the road to make another walkable urban area to extend to. That one is much, much further down the road obviously.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
It's a shame Anthem isn't anchoring this instead.
As much as I want to see 1105 off the ground, I disagree. It’s location isn’t as pleasant a walking experience compared to the Portman location. I’d rather keep building the pleasant experience around tech square and then join up with 14th street. 1105 will play a big role in that, but even then there are swath of land around that are not that inviting. That’s saying a lot considering all the parking immediately surrounding the Portman proposal... either way- hope they both get off the ground.

Would love to see some of the parking decks wrecked for new proposals, too. I hope the decks at 3rd and spring, 4th and west Peachtree, and Peachtree place and juniper meet their maker

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehaven View Post
I still believe there may inevitably be development that connects all the way to Ponce City Market too decades down the road to make another walkable urban area to extend to. That one is much, much further down the road obviously.
Honestly, I'm surprised Ponce/North hasn't turned into another Memorial Drive-type corridor since Midtown and Old Fourth Ward are two of the hottest markets right now. Yet nothing is happening between Piedmont and Glen Iris. I'd love to see all those suburban fast food restaurants bulldozed to make way for some tasteful midrise developments.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3yonce View Post
Honestly, I'm surprised Ponce/North hasn't turned into another Memorial Drive-type corridor since Midtown and Old Fourth Ward are two of the hottest markets right now. Yet nothing is happening between Piedmont and Glen Iris. I'd love to see all those suburban fast food restaurants bulldozed to make way for some tasteful midrise developments.
Yeah I'm not sure why either. Maybe because the businesses along ponce are pretty profitable and less willing to sell?

North ave should definitely be seeing WAY more dev. Maybe the light rail will kick it in the butt.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjhajek View Post
Yeah I'm not sure why either. Maybe because the businesses along ponce are pretty profitable and less willing to sell?

North ave should definitely be seeing WAY more dev. Maybe the light rail will kick it in the butt.
North Ave and Ponce corridors do not have the beltline or rail transit. Only a year ago were we shopping at a suburban style Kroger along the east side trail. I think this corridor will too fill in with mid to high rises, but Midtown and the cluster near PCM will fill in first. I believe this will happen 20 years from now, but not in the short term. With many of the property owners in this corridor being small to large apartment complexes, I believe they will sell out to development one day, unlike many of the single family home neighborhoods in other parts of town.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
That's a little disappointing, but as of today the building plan review is approved.
EVIVA anyone?????

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge View Post
The parking is completely wrapped in glass and looks like another part of the building with retail at the street-- you can object to parking in general but not to the way this is handled--

Don't be fooled by Portman's renderings; it's distinguishly not 'completely wrapped in glass" but what looks to be a faceted panel - more than likely a mesh-like material- for ventilation purposes.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 1:52 PM

There are some indicators that development is moving down North Ave. There is that high rise slated to blowup the JR Crickets, there are some more townhome/apartments communities springing up around Blvd and behind the Dairy Queen. I cant imagine those restaurants staying much longer with semi-expensive townhomes literally right behind them.

There are some prime parcels that need to be developed. There's the empty lot on North and Central Park PL, the Shriners Yaarab Temple (along Ponce), empty lots next to the retirement tower across from Burger King, the Grady Ponce De Leon location has massive parking lots, and a ton of under utilized plots around Central Park. These all seem like low hanging fruit for developers; prime locations near DT, Midtown and O4W. Really wish I had cash to throw at these properties.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 2:15 PM

[QUOTE=arctk2014;7951042]Don't be fooled by Portman's renderings; it's distinguishly not 'completely wrapped in glass" but what looks to be a faceted panel - more than likely a mesh-like material- for ventilation purposes.

Could very well be-- I'll reserve my disappointment for after construction

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 3:57 PM

Re: the stunted development of Ponce and North Ave., the proximity of the largest concentration of section 8 housing in the Southeast may have something to do with it.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkyWay View Post
Re: the stunted development of Ponce and North Ave., the proximity of the largest concentration of section 8 housing in the Southeast may have something to do with it.
That might have something to do with it but I think it's mostly the geography. It's not as close to the BeltLine or Midtown's core, so it's just not as desirable right now.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 5:00 PM
Google Steffen Thomas

This article mentions the owner of much of that O4W Section 8 housing - interesting.

http://www.realsourcebrokers.com/blo...d-fourth-ward/

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
That might have something to do with it but I think it's mostly the geography. It's not as close to the BeltLine or Midtown's core, so it's just not as desirable right now.
No doubt I'm sure the Section 8 housing and Peachtree Pine are having an effect on the development that way. Transit also, though I wouldn't be shocked if something goes down North eventually.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 7:33 PM

Rail transit down North Ave was funded by the vote last November and is finishing up the Federal EIS (environmental review) process now.

Last edited by jsvh; Oct 13, 2017 at 7:53 PM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Rail transit down North Ave was funded by the vote last November and is finishing up the Federal EIS (environmental review) process now.

That’s the first time I saw that map. Is west midtown getting hosed or is the BRT along northside a go? AUC has four lines running parallel within close proximity of one another... Not the best use IMO, as much of the area is already within walking distance to a MARTA station. While it doesn’t go with the alignment, I’d rather see Joseph E Lowery built out more to provide more access to rail transit via the Crescent line and west end. I even think the crescent line should go all the way up to Bankhead. Bankhead Station is hardly easy access to the community.

Last edited by Street Advocate; Oct 13, 2017 at 9:06 PM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 9:22 PM

Quote:
That’s the first time I saw that map. Is west midtown getting hosed or is the BRT along northside a go? AUC has four lines running parallel within close proximity of one another... Not the best use IMO, as much of the area is already within walking distance to a MARTA station. While it doesn’t go with the alignment, I’d rather see Joseph E Lowery built out more to provide more access to rail transit via the Crescent line and west end. I even think the crescent line should go all the way up to Bankhead. Bankhead Station is hardly easy access to the community.
That map is a few years old but shows the North Ave corridor well. Northside BRT and other items were also covered.

This is a better map showing what was covered by the Nov 2016 vote (plus a lot more busses):

http://commuting.blog.ajc.com/2016/0...long-beltline/

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 10:37 PM

So we don’t know which project are actually funded and prioritized then other than their standing with federal review for the streetcars? Would be nice to have more public briefings on this since we passed a few billion dollars by taxing ourselves

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 11:26 PM

Quote:
So we don’t know which project are actually funded and prioritized then other than their standing with federal review for the streetcars? Would be nice to have more public briefings on this since we passed a few billion dollars by taxing ourselves
They are going with whichever on that list they can get matching federal funding for first. They have held multiple public briefings for each of the lines they have going through the EIS process, I have been to some of them.

Last edited by jsvh; Oct 14, 2017 at 12:18 AM.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkyWay View Post
It's the one constant in that area for decades. Boulevard could be a great street, but the preponderance of Section 8 housing has kept it an island amid gentrified developments on all sides. Much more isolated parts of Atlanta with almost no public transportation (i.e. Westside) have moved much faster.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations