HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 5:59 PM

Unfortunately, it happens when someone deletes an ending quote tag, thus screwing up the first quote, and then that post gets quoted.

If everyone could please be careful when editing quotes of other posts, and make sure that you don't delete the top line that looks something like:

[QUOTE=ethereal_reality;7946764]

or the bottom line that always looks like this:

[/QUOTE]

When the quote tags are intact, they also provide a handy link back to the original post. Feel free to PM me if you want more help.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustifer View Post
So here is a bit or arcane information regarding my favorite retro show, 77 Sunset Strip.
In the opening credits of the show--which usually depicts a shot of Dino's and the Bailey & Spencer office building (believed to be shot from above on Miller Drive), one can clearly read Mary Allen Hill Modeling on the upper roof part of the office building. One can assume this is where the modeling agency resides.

While watching one of the episodes from Season 1 (on MeTV), Stu Bailey is seen entering the office lobby and the office listing board is clearly visible. Freeze framed to read, and oops! There is no Mary Allen Hill Modeling listed on the board.

This can be of no viable interest to anyone other than me, but I thought I'd share nonetheless.

I find those kinds of things interesting Rustifer. I thought you might like to know about a forum that has a thread specifically about 77 Sunset Strip and all the other Warner detective series. It's geared to wondering about a possible dvd release, but many people are talking about specific episodes, especially since it's been airing on Me-TV.

This is the current page, but you can start at the beginning.

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/com...303265/page-13

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
re: Lizzies of the Field [c.1924]

But before we get to the twisty road, one of the cars (with a tower on top) goes under a smallish railroad trestle.

[5:20-5:28]

At the end of the scene two trolleys go by as the two men dangle from the bridge. (they're hard to see in this screen-grab)

Does this bridge ring a bell for any of you Rail-Fans?

'Lizzies' is quite fun (& only 10 minutes long)

If anyone's interested, you can watch it HERE

__

The interurbans on the bridge look to me to be PE 500-class cars, which spent their lives mostly on the Glendale-Burbank line. Of the three bridges on that line, the only one that would've been low enough to look like this one would've been at Arden Jct., spanning Verdugo Wash. Faint outline of a ridgeline in the background might've been the San Rafael Hills. That's my best guess, happy to entertain other arguments.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 8:47 AM

Quote:
So here is a bit or arcane information regarding my favorite retro show, 77 Sunset Strip.
In the opening credits of the show--which usually depicts a shot of Dino's and the Bailey & Spencer office building (believed to be shot from above on Miller Drive), one can clearly read Mary Allen Hill Modeling on the upper roof part of the office building. One can assume this is where the modeling agency resides.

While watching one of the episodes from Season 1 (on MeTV), Stu Bailey is seen entering the office lobby and the office listing board is clearly visible. Freeze framed to read, and oops! There is no Mary Allen Hill Modeling listed on the board.

This can be of no viable interest to anyone other than me, but I thought I'd share nonetheless.
Well, of course it's interesting to me, too! And you're right regarding the true tenant of the building. By the way, when you look to the rear of the structure, you can see that the first floor continues back a considerable distance, which puts the lie to the rear windows in Stu and Jeff's offices.

Somewhere around 1970, the building was extensively expanded and remodeled, and became the Tiffany Theater.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 9:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
I find those kinds of things interesting Rustifer. I thought you might like to know about a forum that has a thread specifically about 77 Sunset Strip and all the other Warner detective series. It's geared to wondering about a possible dvd release, but many people are talking about specific episodes, especially since it's been airing on Me-TV.

This is the current page, but you can start at the beginning.

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/com...303265/page-13
Thanks for linking to that for Rustifer's sake. That is in fact another forum I frequent. There was a flurry of activity recently when the sixth season aired, because those episodes have not been shown, as I understand it, for decades. In them, Stu Bailey is suddenly and without explanation transported to an office in the Bradbury Building, and the show takes on the noirish aspect creator Roy Huggins originally intended it to have.

For most of that short season, the beginning credit sequence shows Stu making his way through the lobby, up the elevator, and to his office, affording a pretty extensive look at the interior circa 1963. Here is a pretty good copy of Episode 1's sequence (preceded by a cast-list announcement that is dizzying in its length and breadth), followed by Episode 6's opening and closing sequences: https://youtu.be/VNMKR0uHBVo.

They really should have renamed the show 304 South Broadway.

Last edited by Otis Criblecoblis; Oct 20, 2017 at 9:19 AM. Reason: Added You Tube link to title sequebce.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 2:44 PM

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis Criblecoblis View Post
Thanks for linking to that for Rustifer's sake. That is in fact another forum I frequent. There was a flurry of activity recently when the sixth season aired, because those episodes have not been shown, as I understand it, for decades. In them, Stu Bailey is suddenly and without explanation transported to an office in the Bradbury Building, and the show takes on the noirish aspect creator Roy Huggins originally intended it to have.

For most of that short season, the beginning credit sequence shows Stu making his way through the lobby, up the elevator, and to his office, affording a pretty extensive look at the interior circa 1963. Here is a pretty good copy of Episode 1's sequence (preceded by a cast-list announcement that is dizzying in its length and breadth), followed by Episode 6's opening and closing sequences: https://youtu.be/VNMKR0uHBVo.

They really should have renamed the show 304 South Broadway.
Holy Cow! I had no idea such a site existed. Thanks much for the Link!

Season 6 of 77 Sunset Strip, in my estimation, was a waste. Without the backdrop of Dino's and the office building and Sunset Strip---the show lost all its character. Not to mention losing Spenser, Kookie, Suzanne and Roscoe. And the iconic theme song! Thank god MeTV has circled back to Season 1 which will hopefully be followed by the 2nd season. For some reason, they started out on Season 3 originally.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 8:46 PM

Extra tickets anyone?

Dodgers
going to the World Series!

Downtown in Dodger Blue last night...

Scoopnest

ABC7

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 9:54 PM

It's good to see DTLA lit up for Hanukkah, but it's a bit early.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 10:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
It's good to see DTLA lit up for Hanukkah, but it's a bit early.
....that's not Hanukkah....its Dodger Blue. But you know that already...

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
The houses of Frank A's son-in-law Charles Hathaway and son Frank E, issued August 23/Sept 5, 1923.
Perhaps it's one of these that's seen in Lizzies of the Field, released just about a year later, on Sept 7, 1924...
(or is the big house in the film Frank A's, the walls having gone up very quickly and the roof not yet on?).

(enlarged) -I hope you don't mind

Thanks for digging up the building permits GW; by finding the earlier permits I believe you solved the mystery.

As you said, the 'mystery' building is probably one of the smaller homes under construction (and minus the roof)

once more

lizzies of the field [1924]
__

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 1:55 AM

carry on lizzies

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHuntington View Post
Of the three bridges on the Glendale-Burbank line, the only one that would've been low enough to look like this one would've been at Arden Jct.,
... spanning Verdugo Wash.
Thanks H.H. I appreciate the help.

I'm afraid this photograph of the Arden Jct. bridge doesn't help much. (I'm looking for a better one)

metro library archive

"Taken circa 1955"
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 21, 2017 at 2:13 AM.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 2:12 AM

Garbutt-Hathaway House as seen in the movie Superstition (1982)

location scout blog_spot

location scout blog_spot

__

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Holy Cow! I had no idea such a site existed. Thanks much for the Link!

Season 6 of 77 Sunset Strip, in my estimation, was a waste. Without the backdrop of Dino's and the office building and Sunset Strip---the show lost all its character. Not to mention losing Spenser, Kookie, Suzanne and Roscoe. And the iconic theme song! Thank god MeTV has circled back to Season 1 which will hopefully be followed by the 2nd season. For some reason, they started out on Season 3 originally.
Just to be clear, Martin Pal posted the link. He was the thoughtful one.

Re the value of Season 6: on its own merits, I think it was at times brilliant. Presented as a fresh show with no reference to 77 Sunset Strip or its characters, it might have survived. The way it was presented, however, it was doomed to failure, I think foreseeably.

But I think that Jack Webb was faced with going forward without Roger Smith, whom I believe was not going to be available because he was recuperating from a brain aneurysm, or Edd Byrnes, who had asked out of his contract to pursue film roles. Now, I would just have brought back Richard Long as Rex and gone forward with the same setup, but that's just me.

Last edited by Otis Criblecoblis; Oct 21, 2017 at 3:30 AM. Reason: Simply to add a missing word.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 9:11 PM

'mystery' street corner

"Two LAPD officers on Harley Davidsons"

Ray Axe

"Windshield ? No eye-protection !
Neither cop has a skid-lid !?!?
No autoshift machines and no auto-pistols ...
A time when HardMen rode HugeHarleys
and toted WheelGuns !"

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 21, 2017 at 9:27 PM.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 9:15 PM

While trying to find the source of the previous photograph I happened upon this video.

Video Link

I knew smog was a terrible problem in the 1950s

but I didn't realize how bad it was in the 1940s!

I can't imagine breathing the air in L.A. back then.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 22, 2017 at 12:06 AM.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 10:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
While trying to find the source of the previous photograph I happened upon this video.

Video Link

I knew smog was a terrible problem in the 1950s

but I didn't realize how bad it was in the 1940s!

__
Believe me, it was bad. Burning lungs and stinging eyes.

Hey, wanna can of genuine authentic smog?

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 12:00 AM

no thanks CBD

I happened upon this photo/postcard this afternoon.

worthpoint

The building is still there. [301 S. Los Angeles St.]

gsv

If you look closely, you can still see where the ornamental 'shields' were attached along the roof-line.

It's the last building in a rather large parking lot that's no doubt ripe for development.

google_aerial

I'd say it's days are numbered

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 22, 2017 at 12:13 AM.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 12:23 AM

I don't believe we have seen this early amateur snapshot.

It shows the west side of Main Street, Los Angeles Calif. [c1895]

worthpoint

It was sold on ebay: Jul 21 2008.

this is how it was labeled.

but main st. runs north and south.

...so i think they meant the west side of main st. (if this is, in fact, Los Angeles) ?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 2:45 AM
BANNED

[url]https://i.pinimg.com/

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-xkv-7O_zSng/TdbjcCixnsI/AAAAAAAAGkw/XDUd1fijKew/s1600/piopico.jpg

https://www.kcet.org/sites/kl/files/thumbnails/image/pico_and_family.jpg

Pre-beard Pío de Jesus Pico and his wife, María Ignacia Alvarado Pico, in 1852, with two of their nieces, María Anita Alvarado (far left) and Trinidad Ortega (far right)

Pio de Jesus Pico, c. 1800s, the last governor of Alta California, Mexico

Pío de Jesús Pico was a California rancher and politician, the last governor of Alta California under Mexican rule. He served from 1845 to 1846. He was also elected to one term on the Los Angeles Common Council.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Oct 22, 2017 at 5:53 AM.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Thanks for digging up the building permits GW; by finding the earlier permits I believe you solved the mystery.

As you said, the 'mystery' building is probably one of the smaller homes under construction (and minus the roof)

once more

lizzies of the field [1924]
__
The big building in the background is the Monte Sano Hospital on Waverly Drive

USC digital archive/Dick Whittington Photography Collection, 1924-1987

Last edited by UphillDonkey; Oct 22, 2017 at 5:08 AM. Reason: Adding Photography Credit

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos