HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #21  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 12:44 AM
240glt's Avatar
240glt 240glt is offline
HVAC guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: EDM ->->-> Okanagan
Posts: 10,026
Delete. Wrong thread
__________________
Excel at being the city you are, rather than pretending to be a city you're not
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #22  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 4:56 PM
Glacier Glacier is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: BC
Posts: 69
2016 Census CMA populations in BC:
Vancouver = 2463431
Victoria = 367770
Kelowna = 194882
Abbotsford - Mission = 180518
Nanaimo = 104936
Kamloops = 103811
Chilliwack = 101512
Prince George = 86622
Vernon = 61334
Courtenay = 54157
Duncan = 44451
Penticton = 43432
Campbell River = 37861
Parksville = 28922
Fort St. John = 28396
Cranbrook = 26083
Port Alberni = 25112
Quesnel = 23146
Squamish = 19893
Nelson = 18307
Williams Lake = 18277
Salmon Arm = 17904
Powell River = 16783
Terrace = 15723
Prince Rupert = 12687
Dawson Creek = 12178

Fastest growth since 2011(%)
Squamish = 13.8
Kelowna = 8.4
Chilliwack = 8.1
Fort St. John = 7.6
Nanaimo = 7.1
Victoria = 6.7
Vancouver = 6.5
Abbotsford - Mission = 6.1
Kamloops = 5.1
Dawson Creek = 5.1
Campbell River = 4.9
Vernon = 4.7
Courtenay = 4.6
Cranbrook = 4.2
Parksville = 4
Prince George = 2.8
Duncan = 2.8
Penticton = 2.5
Nelson = 1.8
Salmon Arm = 1.2
Terrace = 1
Powell River = 0.6
Williams Lake = -1.2
Port Alberni = -1.4
Quesnel = -1.8
Prince Rupert = -2.8

Increase in population (number of people since 2011)
Vancouver = 150103
Victoria = 23190
Kelowna = 15043
Abbotsford - Mission = 10327
Chilliwack = 7630
Nanaimo = 6915
Kamloops = 5057
Vernon = 2750
Squamish = 2414
Prince George = 2390
Courtenay = 2370
Fort St. John = 2016
Campbell River = 1765
Duncan = 1199
Parksville = 1100
Penticton = 1071
Cranbrook = 1046
Dawson Creek = 595
Nelson = 320
Salmon Arm = 221
Terrace = 154
Powell River = 94
Williams Lake = -213
Port Alberni = -353
Prince Rupert = -365
Quesnel = -420

Population density (people/sq. km)
Vancouver = 854.6
Victoria = 528.3
Dawson Creek = 499.8
Parksville = 353.3
Abbotsford - Mission = 297.3
Terrace = 212.7
Squamish = 188.4
Duncan = 118.9
Salmon Arm = 108.1
Courtenay = 90.9
Nanaimo = 81.9
Chilliwack = 70.2
Kelowna = 67.1
Vernon = 58.9
Prince Rupert = 54.2
Fort St. John = 45.7
Penticton = 25.2
Campbell River = 21.8
Powell River = 21
Kamloops = 18.3
Nelson = 14.9
Port Alberni = 14.5
Williams Lake = 6.9
Cranbrook = 5.7
Prince George = 4.9
Quesnel = 1.1
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #23  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 6:00 PM
Denscity Denscity is offline
Suburbs Suck
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Castlegar BC
Posts: 5,153
Dawson density!
__________________
Daily 1 hour flights from YCG to YVR & YYC on ACX
British Columbia is named after the Columbia River, a 4 minute walk from my house
Exactly halfway between Vancouver and Calgary
castlegar.ca
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #24  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 6:47 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 22,147
Will Vernon and Kelowna and Penticton ever be combined into a single CMA?
__________________
Git'er done!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #25  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 7:49 PM
Glacier Glacier is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: BC
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Will Vernon and Kelowna and Penticton ever be combined into a single CMA?
100km long would be one big-aZZ city!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #26  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 10:42 PM
Bcasey25raptor's Avatar
Bcasey25raptor Bcasey25raptor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Vancouver-False Creek
Posts: 2,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Will Vernon and Kelowna and Penticton ever be combined into a single CMA?
I can see a case for Kelowna-Vernon but not Penticton.

Lake country between Kelowna and Vernon is already sprawling towards eachother and theres already a bus that takes you to vernon from Kelowna.
__________________
~ Singles life in Vancouver 2017, 200sq ft micro condos, thanks mayor Moonbeam.
~ Just a girl trapped in an inner city micro studio
~ Just Watch me
- Pierre Elliot Trudeau
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #27  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 6:54 PM
EastVanMark EastVanMark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,231
Nice to see 3 cities: Nanaimo, Chilliwack and Kamloops all surpass the magical 100,000 population barrier in the same census period. All three areas are shedding the "small town" label and developing more independent economic identities.

This should be celebrated as it might be while until we see any other municipality get close to achieving that marker. (unless something drastic happens in Prince George).

Congrats to all 3
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #28  
Old Posted Aug 26, 2017, 6:07 PM
GORDBO GORDBO is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: WINNIPEG
Posts: 295
I think Vernon will beat Prince George to the !00,000 mark.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #29  
Old Posted Aug 26, 2017, 6:33 PM
Rollerstud98 Rollerstud98 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDBO View Post
I think Vernon will beat Prince George to the !00,000 mark.
That will be a long slow battle
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #30  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 9:42 PM
sunsetmountainland sunsetmountainland is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Another great post taking place from the best place on earth!
Posts: 737
I thought this was interesting. I understand that wikipedia is a user friendly and is not always accurate. I thought this would be interesting to post and see if anyone can notice some errors. Urban area was the old name for population centres.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...itish_Columbia
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #31  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 9:54 PM
240glt's Avatar
240glt 240glt is offline
HVAC guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: EDM ->->-> Okanagan
Posts: 10,026
^ the most obvious inconsistency I see is city vs. metro for certain cities.

For instance the Kelowna number appears to include Westbank but the Vernon number does not appear to include Coldstream
__________________
Excel at being the city you are, rather than pretending to be a city you're not
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #32  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:57 AM
sunsetmountainland sunsetmountainland is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Another great post taking place from the best place on earth!
Posts: 737
British Columbia population estimates by CMA/CA 2017

This is a list of population estimates based on July 2017. This info is based on B.C. stats.

Vancouver 2592227 1.1% change 2016/2017
Victoria 374807 1.2%
Kelowna 199015 1.4%
Abbotsford-Mission 185039 1.2%
Nanaimo 109419 1.9%
Kamloops 106453 0.8%
Chilliwack 103048 1.2%
Prince George 82755 -0.7%
Vernon 63269 0.4%
Courtney 57505 1.2%
Penticton 46054 8.6%
Duncan 46050 1.4%

You will notice some differences between the 2016 estimate which was based on the 2011 census. While this estimate is based on the 2016 census. So the city of Chilliwack has come down from the previous estimate.
It was interesting to note the 8.6% year over year increase in Penticton.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/d...tion-estimates
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #33  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 4:00 AM
sunsetmountainland sunsetmountainland is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Another great post taking place from the best place on earth!
Posts: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
^ the most obvious inconsistency I see is city vs. metro for certain cities.

For instance the Kelowna number appears to include Westbank but the Vernon number does not appear to include Coldstream
I was thinking about how Nanaimo has a greater population than Kelowna or Abbotsford.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...itish_Columbia
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #34  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 8:26 PM
DKaz DKaz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC
Posts: 3,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetmountainland View Post
I was thinking about how Nanaimo has a greater population than Kelowna or Abbotsford.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...itish_Columbia
They used the urban Kelowna number. The City of Kelowna itself only has 127,380 people as of the 2016 census. I wonder what the urban number includes? Not West Kelowna which had a population of 32,655 as of 2016. Westbank First Nation, which is intertwined in West Kelowna, adds about another 9,000 residents to the entire "Westbank". Westbank First Nation residents officially list Kelowna, BC as their city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
^ the most obvious inconsistency I see is city vs. metro for certain cities.

For instance the Kelowna number appears to include Westbank but the Vernon number does not appear to include Coldstream
It's West Kelowna now, although there have been West Kelowna signs vandalized by people still bitter about not being Westbank.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #35  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 9:11 PM
csbvan's Avatar
csbvan csbvan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
They used the urban Kelowna number. The City of Kelowna itself only has 127,380 people as of the 2016 census. I wonder what the urban number includes? Not West Kelowna which had a population of 32,655 as of 2016. Westbank First Nation, which is intertwined in West Kelowna, adds about another 9,000 residents to the entire "Westbank". Westbank First Nation residents officially list Kelowna, BC as their city.



It's West Kelowna now, although there have been West Kelowna signs vandalized by people still bitter about not being Westbank.
The Kelowna CMA number includes West Kelowna, Lake Country and Peachland. Metro Kelowna is equivalent to the Regional District of the Central Okanagan.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #36  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 11:45 PM
LeftCoaster's Avatar
LeftCoaster LeftCoaster is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Torcouver
Posts: 10,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetmountainland View Post
British Columbia population estimates by CMA/CA 2017

This is a list of population estimates based on July 2017. This info is based on B.C. stats.

Vancouver 2592227 1.1% change 2016/2017
Victoria 374807 1.2%
Kelowna 199015 1.4%
Abbotsford-Mission 185039 1.2%
Nanaimo 109419 1.9%
Kamloops 106453 0.8%
Chilliwack 103048 1.2%
Prince George 82755 -0.7%
Vernon 63269 0.4%
Courtney 57505 1.2%
Penticton 46054 8.6%
Duncan 46050 1.4%

You will notice some differences between the 2016 estimate which was based on the 2011 census. While this estimate is based on the 2016 census. So the city of Chilliwack has come down from the previous estimate.
It was interesting to note the 8.6% year over year increase in Penticton.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/d...tion-estimates
So roughly 2.9 million in the Fraser Valley? Not too shabby. Would really be helpful for the region if there was better regional rail connectivity.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #37  
Old Posted Yesterday, 12:50 AM
DKaz DKaz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC
Posts: 3,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post
The Kelowna CMA number includes West Kelowna, Lake Country and Peachland. Metro Kelowna is equivalent to the Regional District of the Central Okanagan.
I was referring to that Wikipedia link above. Which doesn't really even make sense, it should be the 199,015 figure.

1 Vancouver Large urban 2,463,231
2 Victoria Large urban 367,770
3 Kelowna Large urban 151,957
4 Nanaimo Large urban 158,767
5 Abbotsford Medium 144,397
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #38  
Old Posted Yesterday, 12:55 AM
csbvan's Avatar
csbvan csbvan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
I was referring to that Wikipedia link above. Which doesn't really even make sense, it should be the 199,015 figure.

1 Vancouver Large urban 2,463,231
2 Victoria Large urban 367,770
3 Kelowna Large urban 151,957
4 Nanaimo Large urban 158,767
5 Abbotsford Medium 144,397
Ahh, sorry I didn't see that. Strange metric.
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:16 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.