HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 7:15 AM
They all float down here

At least it has some gritty character.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 2:45 PM

Crazy two-week chase lands Utah a women’s pro soccer franchise

Real Salt Lake owner Dell Loy Hansen announces he has purchased a National Women’s Soccer League team, with play beginning in April

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/rsl/201...t-lake-valley/

They should keep the Kansas City name “Blues” and become the “Salt Lake City Blues.”:
Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Funny how the song mentions Kansas City and New Orleans, the two cities we’ve acquired sports teams from. And JAZZ and BLUES are both music genres.

Last edited by Old&New; Nov 17, 2017 at 3:51 PM.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny in SLC View Post
If you were asked what the heart of downtown is, what would you say? CCC? Tem Sq? S. Temple and 3rd West? I don't think we have one, but I guess I am assuming we need one. Maybe not.
Roughly the location of the 200 South Carl's Jr.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC14 View Post
Roughly the location of the 200 South Carl's Jr.
Which is being looked at by several different developers. I think we'll see something happen to that site in the next few years.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 11:23 PM

Old Posted Nov 18, 2017, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Snob View Post
Ya'll are going to be really suprised then, when Dallas is announced as the new AHQ. Officials from A have visited the area on a handful of occassions, met with a few developers and have even looked at a few building plans. Awe, but we digress. It's like talking about the CCH. It will be announced SOMEDAY and we will all KNOW when that happens. Until then, we can speculate our highrise praying asses off.
They were probably scouting locations for a new fulfillment center or something similar.

A Splash of Cold Water on Dallas’ Amazon HQ2 Hopes
D Magazine
BY ALEX MACON

"...we may need to splash a little cold water on [Dallas'] hopes. Manage our expectations. A report from Moody’s Analytics, ranking major cities based on the criteria in Amazon’s request for HQ2 proposals, does just that. Dallas does just fine on 'business environment,' the study citing the region’s job growth and 'generous use of business incentives.' Along with Austin and Nashville, Dallas finishes there among the top three metro areas.

But when it comes to 'human capital,' 'cost,' 'quality of life,' and 'transportation,' Dallas disappears from the top of the rankings."

Source: https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburne...zon-hq2-hopes/

Another article:
"For a splash of cold water, take note that Dallas struggles with public transportation and doesn’t have the same quality of life appeal for millennials as other competitors. It also has a ways to go in building up a tech workforce."

Source: https://therealdeal.com/2017/11/14/a...-hq2-location/

Last edited by Stenar; Nov 18, 2017 at 12:36 AM.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Same here, although I would be even happier if they would just decide to go ahead and give that top tier about 5 to 10 more floors.

http://lccpropertiesgroup.com

One thing I love about this project and the Royalwood plaza, is that they take our conventional, city center (with its 4x2 block tall building cluster) and expands it. Allowing for the area south west of the core to experience a renaissance of development and potentially where we might see new taller buildings appear...down the road.

Last edited by EPdesign; Nov 20, 2017 at 3:45 AM.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 4:08 AM

I know its a long shot, but I hope that we can start to see more interesting towers in SLC. 111 comes to mind... even before they updated the design to straighten the sides, it was particularly boring. Engaging at street level, but boring.

Something like the Absolute towers in Mississauga, ON would be amazing to see in SLC:

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 11:49 PM

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 11:44 PM

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 12:06 AM

On another note, I've been running the numbers and there are 3,500 units under construction, another 3,200 in the planning or the permit stage, and just over 2,000 units were completed in the past year. That's 8,700 units, not counting new units before 2017. we could be easily reaching a 2020 population of 220,000-230,000.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asies1981 View Post
On another note, I've been running the numbers and there are 3,500 units under construction, another 3,200 in the planning or the permit stage, and just over 2,000 units were completed in the past year. That's 8,700 units, not counting new units before 2017. we could be easily reaching a 2020 population of 220,000-230,000.
This residential growth is what will spur larger commercial growth. We want the big commercial towers but this residential growth is what our city desperately needs for a downtown experience and vibrance. It's nice to see this happening to our once sleepy downtown.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 1:27 AM

I like the design, but I don't like the placement in the middle of the block and no through-block access.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 1:59 AM
Ironweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by asies1981 View Post
I said here before that SLC proper should have a population of 400 to 500 k with a downtown population of 25 to 50 k. I still believe that. Now more than ever.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post
I said here before that SLC proper should have a population of 400 to 500 k with a downtown population of 25 to 50 k. I still believe that. Now more than ever.
Ironically we may get to 25,000 people downtown before we hit 300,000.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 12:29 PM

I agree. There are so many surface parking lots and dilapidated buildings in downtown and adjacent that could be redeveloped into housing. The rest of the city, by and large, doesn't have that same condition. The only two large tracts of land left are the NW quadrant, which isn't slated for residential, and City Creek Canyon, which will never be developed (I hope). I guess there are some areas, particularly west of I15, that are ripe for redevelopment, but zoning will be an issue there. Getting to 300K in the city proper will likely take quite a while.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 4:26 PM
Engineer

300,000 is likely around the maximum population Salt Lake will ever have. Compared to almost every city in the US, a very small portion of Salt Lake is dedicated to residential/commercial use, only about 31.5 sq mi out of its 111. It will probably remain that way, since, as FullCircle said, most of the remaining open land will either be preserved as is or will be developed as industrial.

For the sake of comparison, let's see how Salt Lake's hypothetical population stacks up to cities whose land is dedicated almost entirely to residential and commercial use:

300,000 people in 31.5 sq mi would make Salt Lake more dense than Seattle (though Seattle is over 80 sq mi, and there are about 10 sq mi of industrial so this isn't the best comparison)

400,000 people in 31.5 sq mi would be a population density approaching that of Boston (48.3 sq mi)

500,000 people in 31.5 sq mi would be a population density approaching that of San Francisco (46.9 sq mi), the second most dense city in the United States.

All this demonstrates how little potential Salt Lake's population numbers have. We'd have to build a city as dense as San Francisco to make it into the top 35 largest cities in the US, which is impossible.

This also goes to show how dense US cities are not. One reason Salt Lake is 123rd on the list is that many of the most populated cities in the US have huge swaths of population in sprawling suburban areas. I'd estimate about 35% of Salt Lake proper's population is suburban (Rose Park, Glendale, Foothill), while cities like Phoenix, Jacksonville, and Indianapolis (numbers 5, 12, and 15) have almost entirely suburban populations. Approximately 80% of Austin's population lives in low density suburban. Same with about 65% of Denver's population. And a huge majority of the population growth in these cities has happened in these suburban areas. So even though these cities have much larger downtowns and are in fact growing faster than Salt Lake by almost any measurement, their numbers are hugely inflated by their suburban areas within city boundaries. Salt Lake doesn't have the luxury of building huge swaths of suburban to inflate its numbers, which is why expecting a population higher than 300,000 is very unrealistic.

On the other hand, a downtown population of 25,000-30,000 is entirely attainable, imo.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 4:39 PM

^
On the other hand, Manhattan island has 1.6 million people in 22.82 sq miles.
Macau has a population of over 600,000 in 11.78 sq miles.
..so there's a chance.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 4:47 PM

Salt Lake City's population is irrelevant when discussing it's size.

It really isn't all that important if SLC itself hits a mark such as 300 or 400,000 people. The development of downtown will be based far more around the population of the metro area and the urban corridor as a whole. Just because there is an imaginary line that separates SLC from West Valley, South Salt Lake, Taylorsville, or Murray. It does not mean that there are any less people for the downtown to be centered around. The only thing irritating about it is it makes SLC seem far smaller than it actually is in reality to the eyes of the outside world. However I do expect the population of the city itself to grow considerably in the next few decades as we will soon run out of space in the valley and will find the need to urbanize. However, for SLC proper to ever hit the 4 to 5 hundred thousand mark the only way to do it would be through annexation of surrounding communities. Regardless of what the population of SLC proper is the downtown will still see growth as it is the center of a urban corridor that is on its way to becoming quite massive and will be approaching 5 million people by 2050.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 4:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC14 View Post
^
On the other hand, Manhattan island has 1.6 million people in 22.82 sq miles.
Macau has a population of over 600,000 in 11.78 sq miles.
..so there's a chance.
Not in Utah’s culture, just saying

Not that it completely matters anyways, sure with Salt Lake plural having a small population can make it seem small, but that’s because in reality even the whole Msa of Salt Lake is small. (Relatively speaking.) but when the metro gets larger everyone will overlook Puny salt Lake as a small city because the metro will be larger. Look at Atlanta and Miami for instance, both cities plural are very underwhelming when looking at official population. But yet everyone thinks of them as some of the largest in America because both have metros over 5 million.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West