HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 3, 2017, 3:34 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I've seen SPM plates on the street here in Moncton twice over the last few years. One of them was on a big ass North American pick-up too.

Looking forward to seeing more SPM plates in the future (now that the car ferry to the island is impending)!

It's always exciting to see European plates on the roads around here. In the last few years I've seen vehicles from France, Switzerland and Germany. It's always fascinating to speculate how they got over here and how long they intend to tour our continent.

As to how they got here - I imagine that Halifax (as a major container port) is the answer. This probably explains why it isn't unheard of to see the European plates around Moncton since we are on the only highway into and out of NS.

How about on the other side of the continent. Do you ever see Japanese or Korean plates on the roads in BC????

Last edited by MonctonRad; Dec 3, 2017 at 3:50 PM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2017, 3:46 PM

I saw a SPM license last year when I went to the Magdalen Islands.
I thought it was worth taking a picture

Old Posted Dec 3, 2017, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I've seen SPM plates on the street here in Moncton twice over the last few years. One of them was on a big ass North American pick-up too.

Looking forward to seeing more SPM plates in the future (now that the car ferry to the island is impending)!

It's always exciting to see European plates on the roads around here. In the last few years I've seen vehicles from France, Switzerland and Germany. It's always fascinating to speculate how they got over here and how long they intend to tour our continent.

As to how they got here - I imagine that Halifax (as a major container port) is the answer. This probably explains why it isn't unheard of to see the European plates around Moncton since we are on the only highway into and out of NS.

How about on the other side of the continent. Do you ever see Japanese or Korean plates on the roads in BC????
I never have.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2017, 5:54 PM
Insertoronto

I've only ever seen a single euro plate in Toronto, a German plate on a BMW 5 series in Scarborough. I've seen more on the front of cars, but most of the time those are just Quebec / Alberta cars with imposter plates up front.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2017, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
I never have.
In the summer of 2012 (or 2013), I saw a car with a Chinese license plate on Cook Road in Richmond, BC. It still blew my mind as to how that could have happened.

Sometimes I really wonder what SSP-ers in the Ottawa-Gatineau forum think when they see my avatar (profile picture). It must be very misleading.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 7:59 AM

So, what's the winter weather like in SPM?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 9:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage View Post
So, what's the winter weather like in SPM?
With the ocean effect of a Maritime climate…..winters aren’t that cold and the February average is just below freezing. Today (Dec 4) it’s cloudy and 3 deg. Summers are mild to warm.

St Pierre is at 46.8 deg latitude (I see you’re in Vancouver….so about the same latitude as southern Washington State)

Streetview link showing the Harbourfront in summer:

https://goo.gl/maps/yQyXuntNDKR2

Last edited by ghYHZ; Dec 4, 2017 at 10:28 AM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 2:24 PM
Pro Trivia Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghYHZ View Post
With the ocean effect of a Maritime climate…..winters aren’t that cold and the February average is just below freezing. Today (Dec 4) it’s cloudy and 3 deg. Summers are mild to warm.

St Pierre is at 46.8 deg latitude (I see you’re in Vancouver….so about the same latitude as southern Washington State)

I'll bet anyone 467786879797979 dollars that that couple coming out of the tourist information centre is not from SPM. And it's not really because the guy is wearing a shirt that says NEW YORK VINTAGE. (Someone from SPM could wear that.)

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 2:44 PM

Quote:

For someone from the west coast the winters still look pretty cold. Colder than the South Okanagan with an extremely delayed spring (June's average high is only just above 12 degrees, not to mention how terrible March, April and May look to be). The warmest month does not even average above 20 for a high (18.7, which is akin to the outer coast of Vancouver Island), it has over 100 days with fog, and has 1427 hours of sunshine and 74 days of measurable snowfall.

IMO it seems to largely get the worst of both worlds climatically between mild oceanic and continental.

It helps prove how sometimes latitude can be misleading.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 3:08 PM

I’ve spent a time SPM in August which seems to be the best month with temps in the high 20’s with long stretches of sunny and warm days

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 3:11 PM

I have also been on the beach in Tofino in August with temps in the high 20s (even hitting 30 once) but that still don't change the fact that the average high is 19 for August. For everyone of those sunny hot days there is a foggy / cool sea breeze day that will struggle to the low teens. same is likely true for SPM.

Stats are what they are. And honestly, they make sense given the extreme maritime location and its general geographical location.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 8:13 AM

Bringing up the euro plates in Canada again, I've seen a Dutch plate on a motorcycle, UK plates on a motorhome, as well as German plates on 3 separate motorhomes, all during this summer in Calgary and the mountains.

The Dutch plated motorcycle (large image):

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 10:57 AM
Keep yo pimp hand strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
In the summer of 2012 (or 2013), I saw a car with a Chinese license plate on Cook Road in Richmond, BC. It still blew my mind as to how that could have happened.
My buddy wanted to buy a car in Canada and have it shipped to China. For some reason he thought it wouldn't cost that much. Last I heard, he kiboshed the plan because it would have been around 10,000 bucks.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
My buddy wanted to buy a car in Canada and have it shipped to China. For some reason he thought it wouldn't cost that much. Last I heard, he kiboshed the plan because it would have been around 10,000 bucks.
Sometimes I have to drive a Ram 2500 in Europe. Truly a dream to drive on narrow twisty roads. It has Alberta plates. Useful for cost savings (towing, cheaper registration, allowed to drive on sundays, fuel economy, no photo radar or parking tickets) It has a vanity plate on the front because it kept getting pulled over for a "missing" plate, and explaining that is a pain. Obviously getting insurance sorted out can be inconvenient.

I think it only cost about $1500 to ship it from the east coast to Germany.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 12:07 PM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Was the plate blue?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 12:40 PM
Insertoronto

Fuel economy? Because it's deisel? It's a Ram 2500 running on European gas prices.. it's gotta be expensive as hell to fuel. Also, what about driving on Sundays? I've never heard about a rule like that. I'm guessing this is compared to driving a full sized tractor trailer, not to a regular car?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 1:28 PM

Quote:
I’ve spent a time SPM in August which seems to be the best month with temps in the high 20’s with long stretches of sunny and warm days
You really lucked out then if the high temps were about 10 degrees above normal, It must have been a pretty good heatwave!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Fuel economy? Because it's deisel? It's a Ram 2500 running on European gas prices.. it's gotta be expensive as hell to fuel. Also, what about driving on Sundays? I've never heard about a rule like that. I'm guessing this is compared to driving a full sized tractor trailer, not to a regular car?
Yes, exactly. Tractor trailers have many more restrictions than regular cars, at least in central Europe.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 5:02 AM

Good evening, here's my new video of Yonge St. between Highway 401 and the Gardiner Expressway. Enjoy

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post
Good evening, here's my new video of Yonge St. between Highway 401 and the Gardiner Expressway. Enjoy

Video Link
Good video excpet your Leaf facts are out dated. I'ts no longer the 3rd most valuable team, Montreal now holds that title. I't moved back into second and is moving in on top spot again.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada