HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 2:46 AM
Meh

City council voted to approve fee waivers, but not without some backhanded political comments related to Greg Abbott's recent comment about Austin. lol

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/loca...ikKdvoA2zcHsM/

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 3:47 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
City council voted to approve fee waivers, but not without some backhanded political comments related to Greg Abbott's recent comment about Austin. lol

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/loca...ikKdvoA2zcHsM/
I think freedom smells like Texas BBQ, personally...especially since I've had to go without authentic BBQ for so long....

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 8:18 PM
Meh

Waste water line relocation plans for 1801 Congress.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...Relo_PLANS.pdf

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 5:24 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 6:27 AM

This rendering is from wwmiv's Austin Tower's link. 1801 Congress looks decent for a government building.

I was confused when I read the Austin Towers article. It indicates that the State is just now looking for engineers and architects to design the building. Articles from earlier this year about the music museum said 1801 Congress would be starting soon. The TFC website had the groundbreaking scheduled as this past 05/30 and the Notice to Proceed with excavation is set for this August. The only way this all makes sense is that site prep and excavation will be taking a long time, and they will designing the buildings while site prep and excavation is taking place.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 7:03 AM

Here's 1601 Congress. I must say that this one does an excellent job blending in with the current stock of state office buildings in the area. But that area did need some glass.

http://austin.towers.net/plans-revea...mplex-project/

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 7:47 AM
World Traveler

For state buildings, I'd say these both look great. I'm excited about the capitol mall (or whatever it's going to be called). I think this will be good for the area also. I still hope it ties in well to the pedestrian walkway along Speedway through campus...that'd be neat to have one "continuous" pedestrian walkway through the capitol area and campus.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2017, 5:02 AM

I agree, those look great. Imagine how much better 5th & Colorado, The Fairmont, or 303 Colorado would have looked if they had those brown stripes or the grey curves like these have, instead of just blue glass rectangles...

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 4:05 PM

I wonder if they'll be using pink granite as a building material?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 12:34 PM
World Traveler

I wonder that also after a second look at the renderings. It would be a neat way to tie into the area, for sure.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 3:49 PM
Meh

Excavation plans for 1801 Congress Avenue.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...enue_PLANS.pdf

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 5:22 AM
Austinite

2 new buildings will add 1 million square feet to Capitol complex

Via mystatesman.com

http://www.mystatesman.com/business/...TP3BLKyt0qiMP/

Quote:
2 new buildings will add 1 million square feet to Capitol complex

Construction is set to get under way later this month on a decades-in-the-making project to build new state office buildings, parking garages and a pedestrian-friendly green space along Congress Avenue north of the Capitol between 15th Street and Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard.

A commemorative groundbreaking for the $580 million initial phase of the state complex has tentatively been scheduled for 8:30 a.m. on Sept. 28, according to the Texas Facilities Commission, which is overseeing the work....

...Groundbreaking for the first phase will take place at 1801 Congress Ave., a parking lot across Congress Avenue from the Bullock Texas State History Museum. A 603,000-square-foot, 14-story office building is set to replace the parking lot...

...The second building included in the first phase — priced at $89.4 million — will be located at 1601 Congress Ave. and will be 12 stories tall and encompass about 416,000 square feet. It will contain conference rooms, the state’s child care facility and a restaurant, as well as various government offices....

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 8:49 AM

The Texas Lottery Commission will be moving into one of the new buildings. I hope something more appropriate for 6th St. replaces their current offices. There used to be a decent club there before the state moved in. But it doesn't sound likely based on this quote from the article:

Quote:
The lottery commission’s headquarters currently is located in Grant Plaza at 611 E. Sixth St., where the state leases about 75,000 square feet from Empire Square Group, the New York-based real estate investment firm that owns the building. About 256 lottery employees work in the building, the lottery commission has said.

Heimsath said he expects private office space vacated by the state to be quickly “back-filled” with new tenants because of high demand for office space in downtown Austin. Some of the buildings could even be demolished “to make room for another tall tower,” he said.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 2:56 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
The Texas Lottery Commission will be moving into one of the new buildings. I hope something more appropriate for 6th St. replaces their current offices. There used to be a decent club there before the state moved in. But it doesn't sound likely based on this quote from the article:
My guess is the old "Dirty 6th" area of Austin is going to continue to have the squeeze put on it as time goes by. That said, office with first floor restaurants and bars can work in that area since Office tenants don't care about noise at night generally. Though, I would expect anything on the first floors of these buildings to be more upscale than shot bar/dance club.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
My guess is the old "Dirty 6th" area of Austin is going to continue to have the squeeze put on it as time goes by. That said, office with first floor restaurants and bars can work in that area since Office tenants don't care about noise at night generally. Though, I would expect anything on the first floors of these buildings to be more upscale than shot bar/dance club.
There are a couple other companies in the Grant Plaza complex that the Texas Lottery Commission leases. All of the leases are scheduled to end at the same time in 2020. I think they're going to raze it and build something new.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 9:54 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx-adam View Post
There are a couple other companies in the Grant Plaza complex that the Texas Lottery Commission leases. All of the leases are scheduled to end at the same time in 2020. I think they're going to raze it and build something new.
Makes sense. easy access to I35 and close proximity to hotels should make it an ideal office location.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 4:08 AM
Meh

Phase One broke ground on the 28th which includes both 1601 and 1801 Congress.

Via Page Southerland Page's Facebook page:
Quote:
Page is very proud to be a part of the team working on the Texas Capitol Complex Master Plan and its Phase One projects, which broke ground this morning.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 4:49 AM

Maybe I'm not getting it or seeing it, but I would have thought that a 14 story, 600,000 sq ft building would have a huge foot print, bigger than any in the renderings. Unless half of it will be underground...

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 5:58 AM

Yup, it's official. The excavator pose happened.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/BalfourBeattyUS/posts/

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 4:55 PM

I know this has been mentioned before, but it looks like Houston won the Texas Music Museum battle....

from the Austin Monitor today.....

"Asked by Council Member Alison Alter what type of museum would eventually grace the new pedestrian mall, Howard said that although hopes of a Texas Music Museum had been dashed by Houston-area legislators during the last legislative session, whatever is approved would be something complementary to the nearby Bullock and Blanton museums."

ERRRRRRR!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin