HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 1:55 AM

He's basically using it as a campaign ad. Don't forget, he's suing the city over their campaigning laws. http://www.austinchronicle.com/daily...man-sues-city/

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
At least he's up for election next year. Hopefully there is a strong candidate to run against him, and one that will really hit hard on some of Zimmerman's past extremist/abusive behavior. I know his district might lean a little more conservative than most of Austin, but it includes tons of tech workers and new transplants, and I just can't believe the majority of district 6's residents would agree with his views.

If you look at his page on the city website, his bio reads like a campaign ad:
http://austintexas.gov/department/district-6

The other council members, even the 2 conservatives (Gallo and Troxclair), have what is far more appropriate for a taxpayer-paid site: A standard bio.
I'd bet a lot of the folks that voted for him didn't really know what they were getting themselves into. After his first term, though, they do now. He likely has zero chance of getting re-elected. Republicans would be wise to put forth a different candidate...but they won't. So the district is almost assured to turn Democrat during the next election cycle.

Thankfully, he has little real power when it comes to the makeup of the current city council. It's always good to have some differing views to play somewhat of a devil's advocate, but he's just too extreme to even be useful in that manner. (IMHO)

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
I'd bet a lot of the folks that voted for him didn't really know what they were getting themselves into. After his first term, though, they do now. He likely has zero chance of getting re-elected.
Don't think that way for a second! He has as much chance of getting elected as before. First time around, he had a very effective campaign of radio and print ads. They never mentioned his controversial views, just the same blurb that's on his city bio -- that taxpayers elected him in 2008 and he saved them $18M in taxes. Nothing about anything else. He even ran "vote the person, not the party" ads to attract Democrats.

In his 2016 campaign, I'm sure he'll add all the budget cutting and road building he's advocated in his time on the council. That's going to appeal to a lot of people.

Frankly, I think the only way he loses is if a strong opponent with a well funded campaign actually gets the message to the voters about what Zimmerman really believes.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 6:40 PM

However, I do feel that since general elections bring much higher voter turnout, his chances are slimmer than they would be if he were next up for reelection in 2018

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 10:24 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
Don't think that way for a second! He has as much chance of getting elected as before. First time around, he had a very effective campaign of radio and print ads...
Just curious...Do you live in his district? Did you work for his campaign? You may be the only one trying to defend this lunatic. I'm sorry...he is.

I may be wrong, but, didn't he "win" his seat in a runoff? I don't think he will win re-election...now that citizens can see the type of person he really is. Additionally, I don't think there are that many mentally deficient people living in that district. If there are, the city aught to investigate the possibility of de-annexing that region of Austin.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 3:54 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
I'd bet a lot of the folks that voted for him didn't really know what they were getting themselves into. After his first term, though, they do now. He likely has zero chance of getting re-elected. Republicans would be wise to put forth a different candidate...but they won't.
For sure, the voters didn't know all of what they were getting themselves into. Heck, before I had heard much about Laura Pressley I was planning to vote for her! I'm so glad I can honestly say I wasn't on that short bus, but it can be hard to get much info about local political candidates unless one is really motivated to find out.

But as to the GOP fielding another candidate, first I don't think these council seats are being heavily influenced by either major party, and second, I would bet that a lot of Republicans in Austin are pretty embarrassed by Donny Z, and would happily support a more mainstream conservative opponent. I'd just like to see Jimmy Flannigan make up the few votes he was short in the election that sent Austin's interpretation of Donald Trump to a council seat.

Hmm, what's with these Dons and Donalds --- Zimmerman, Trump, Knotts, King, Rickles, Imus, Rumsfeld, Duck...

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Just curious...Do you live in his district? Did you work for his campaign? You may be the only one trying to defend this lunatic. I'm sorry...he is.

I may be wrong, but, didn't he "win" his seat in a runoff? I don't think he will win re-election...now that citizens can see the type of person he really is. Additionally, I don't think there are that many mentally deficient people living in that district. If there are, the city aught to investigate the possibility of de-annexing that region of Austin.
Just to be clear (and I thought I was), I am NOT defending him. He is my worst fear about 10-1 realized. I want him gone, but I don't live in hist district.

Don't forget, 7 out of 10 council seats were runoffs in the last election. So don't take that as a sign of weakness. There were runoffs because there were 6 or more candidates (mostly unknowns) running in each district for these new seats, no one could get over 50%.

What I am trying to say (or warn about) is don't expect that he'll be easily defeated. District 6 residents aren't hardcore right wing conservatives, conspiracy theorists, or bigots... But they aren't that politically active, either. They will have the wool pulled over their eyes again, I fear. He'll just run ads saying how much he cut taxes, again. It's going to take a strong candidate and a lot of fight to get him out. And I'll support whomever opposes him, with money at least. I suggest everyone do that as well, wherever you live.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2016, 1:13 AM

What was Councilperson Pool's position on the One Two East project?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2016, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatiron View Post
What was Councilperson Pool's position on the One Two East project?
I don't think it ever came to vote, nor do I know of her (all I have are statements from Pio, Adler, and Houston) publicly stating a position on it. But knowing Pool, I can only imagine she would have happily voted it down in the "interest of neighborhood preservation".

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 4:03 AM

Oh Lord. Laura Morrison might run for Mayor. Her most similar counterpart on the council now is Leslie Pool.

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...jfnr9e3yjKbtL/

Quote:
Former Austin City Council Member Laura Morrison is considering challenging Mayor Steve Adler for the city’s top elected seat next year, as electioneering for the November 2018 city races begins to get into gear.
Morrison said she’s reaching out to various constituents and potential supporters to decide whether to enter the race and hopes to make a decision soon.

“I’m looking at the realistic possibilities of making it a feasible campaign,” she told the American-Statesman last week. “I feel a certain need to make (a decision) sooner, rather than later. November is right around the corner. It would be a tough campaign. I need to be all in.”

Along with Adler, five council members will reach the end of their first terms under the 10-1 district system. Council Members Ora Houston, Sabino “Pio” Renteria, Ann Kitchen, Ellen Troxclair and Kathie Tovo are all expected to run for re-election.

Tovo will seek re-election via a petition drive, she said Tuesday, after receiving differing legal opinions as to her eligibility. She is the only member of the council who served a term under the previous at-large system. The city charter limits council members to two consecutive terms, unless their application for a third term has the backing of a petition signed by at least 5 percent of registered voters in the district.

LAST TIME: Why Morrison decided not to run for mayor in 2014

Adler said Tuesday that, without Morrison formally entering the race, it’s too soon to evaluate her as a contender, but he said he’s ready for potential competition. For his part, Adler wants to finish what he’s started, he said, particularly with local versus state battles and with mobility and affordability challenges.

“We’ve been able to move forward on a lot of things over the last few years,” he said. “We’ve been able to build a strong network with other cities within the state and internationally. I bring what I’ve always brought, which is a willingness to work really hard, really focus. I’m proud of the things we’ve done, but there’s still ground to be had.”

While on the council, Morrison was best known for her support among neighborhood groups and her questioning of city growth policies. She contemplated a mayoral bid in 2014, egged on by supporters who created a draftLaura4mayor.com website, but she ultimately chose not to enter the race.

Morrison re-entered the political spotlight last year as one of the leaders of Our City, Our Safety, Our Choice, a group that opposed efforts by Uber and Lyft to overturn Austin’s ride-hailing service rules in a May 2016 special election.

COMPLETE COVERAGE: Uber and Lyft in Austin

She said last week that she would bring “values and perspective” on city development and affordability issues.

“We need to find a way to move into the future with this growing city so that people living here now don’t have to bear the burden,” she said.

Candidates are still emerging, but here’s a look at the other matchups so far:

Crowded field in District 1

Houston’s race in East Austin’s District 1 could be a crowded one: At least three candidates are already running or seriously considering it. The most visible so far is Lewis Conway Jr., a Grassroots Leadership organizer and criminal justice activist who advocates at City Hall for programs affecting those with criminal records.

Conway was convicted in 1992 of manslaughter for stabbing an acquaintance to death during a fight over stolen money. He kicked off his election announcement Monday with comments from his attorney that, despite his felony conviction, he is eligible to run because he has long since finished all his parole obligations and had his voting rights restored.

He said he would bring a fresh perspective to the council as someone who has radically changed his life. Though he’s known for speaking out on public safety issues, he said his focus is on the conditions that lead to those issues in the first place.

VISIT VOTETRACKER: See how your Austin City Council member voted on key issues

“We want to find every excuse to help people,” he said. “We should be leading on police brutality. We should be leading on mobility improvements. We should be leading on affordability. Investing more in indigent health care.”

District 1 residents Natasha Harper Madison and Mariana Salazar are also considering running, both said Tuesday. Madison, a florist and East Austin activist, said a cancer diagnosis three years ago drew her to public service, including recent work on East 12th Street Merchant Association projects involving zoning and planning.

Houston noted Thursday that her race in 2014 included nine contenders.

“I think they’re all great folks,” she said of her new challengers. “They all live in District 1 and I’ve represented them for three years and I’ll continue to represent them next term.”

Challenger emerges in District 8

In Troxclair’s southwestern District 8, Shane Sexton announced his candidacy months ago for the seat. Sexton, the chief of police for Concordia University, said Tuesday that his public safety background was key in a city where public safety makes up the bulk of spending.

He said he agrees with Troxclair that the council taxes and spends too much, but he argued no cuts should come to public safety. He also noted, “I was absolutely one of the people at the Capitol protesting SB 4,” criticizing Troxclair for being the sole council dissenter to its vote to sue the state over its bill banning so-called sanctuary cities.

ALSO READ: Supporters praise Troxclair as ‘Joan of Arc’

Troxclair said she was looking forward to running again.

“It’s pretty clear that I represent the voice of fiscal responsibility and making sure that tax dollars are spent effectively,” she said.
These council members are going to be anti-growth until they kill it altogether. You'll know doubt tell people that they are spending too much on bonds, that they should be paying less and somehow getting more etc.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 4:19 AM
德克萨斯人 y'all

Well, logic dictates that we should get things for free, right? Pay less, get more...

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 5:09 AM
Love Austin

The "War on Housing" is growing tedious. Surely the pendulum can't swing any more that direction. If the sole goal of the city is to protect single family homes from change then let's openly adopt that policy. Otherwise, let's focus on the things that really matter.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 11:13 PM

Laura Morrison = the worst. Surely that can't happen.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427MM View Post
The "War on Housing" is growing tedious. Surely the pendulum can't swing any more that direction. If the sole goal of the city is to protect single family homes from change then let's openly adopt that policy. Otherwise, let's focus on the things that really matter.
Can I quote you on this.... often?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin