HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 7:18 PM
build awesome buildings

are others playing “it’s so hard to say goodbye to yesterday” while reading this?

his perspective, no matter how grating it was presented at times, added a nice dimension to the discussion. i don’t know what happened behind closed doors, but i appreciate the fair moderation by hammer and summers.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 7:45 PM

This 1487 discussion for him is a little like being alive and witnessing your own funeral.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Who's piling on? It seems that now that he's gone, people are really considering the positive aspects he did bring to the forum. It seems to be the opposite. He got way more grief when he was here to defend himself.
Ya, just about every comment in the last day or so has pretty much said that 1487 was a complete ass, but that he brought a unique perspective to the table, one that was mostly appreciated. I think he was regularly challenged on these pages and rarely took the bait, he just kept telling all of us that only he new what was going on. He was consistent against the board.

If anything the choir seems to be asking when will 1487 2.0 appear. Personally, I'll take and enjoy the vacation.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 10:59 PM

What happened to Cro Burnham? Self-imposed exile?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 11:14 PM
Exhale solutions.

Isn't all this eulogizing just a little odd considering he could just register with a new handle and email and none of you would know the difference until you started being repulsed by the new guy?

For me it can be reduced to this: For every personal freedom we gained from the automobile, we lost in social cohesion.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 11:41 PM
Your 2016 AAC Champs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Isn't all this eulogizing just a little odd considering he could just register with a new handle and email and none of you would know the difference until you started being repulsed by the new guy?
Fortunately, sockpuppetry is a bannable offense.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 2:11 AM

Oh sorry, I didn't realize this was the 1487 memorial thread, I thought this was the Philly Highrise Thread.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
Oh sorry, I didn't realize this was the 1487 memorial thread, I thought this was the Philly Highrise Thread.
It's a skyscraper thread. Go you!!!

But forreal tho let's move on.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
Ya, just about every comment in the last day or so has pretty much said that 1487 was a complete ass, but that he brought a unique perspective to the table, one that was mostly appreciated. I think he was regularly challenged on these pages and rarely took the bait, he just kept telling all of us that only he new what was going on. He was consistent against the board.

If anything the choir seems to be asking when will 1487 2.0 appear. Personally, I'll take and enjoy the vacation.
It really seems you and maybe one other had a problem with him, and you made yourself look like an ass in the process. Majority of the time he was insightful and correct on his statements.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
Lololol Nice one!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontst17 View Post
It really seems you and maybe one other had a problem with him, and you made yourself look like an ass in the process. Majority of the time he was insightful and correct on his statements.
Completely untrue.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ePlanningPhila View Post
I know I have seen it on this forum. Can someone repost the RFP that Macy's Inc is looking to open a full line Bloomingdale's in Center City. I never saved the document but was interested to see it again.

Thanks!
Are you sure it wasn't regarding their outlet location at 17th and Chestnut?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsule F View Post
Are you sure it wasn't regarding their outlet location at 17th and Chestnut?
Salove has them as a tenant in the market: http://www.mscretail.com/wp-content/...Sheet_sm-1.pdf

RFP is a strong word for that document and I'd be surprised to see this land anywhere as it's been circling for years and I just don't see a place for them to go. Fashion District is officially too down market. They'd never accept that kind of co-tenancy. Ditto for East Market which never had the contiguous sf to handle them in the first place. They'd either need to work with a developer of an as-yet unbuilt building to specifically design around them, such as 1301 Market (though fitting that much space for them would be tough on a small footprint) or probably be willing to do a smaller store. The lobby and adjacent floors at 123 South Broad would be spectacular for them architecturally, but again I don't know that there's anywhere in Center City with the kind of adjacent brands they want.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 5:46 PM

For what it's worth, from Inc. Magazine:

Top 6 Cities Most Likely to Host Amazon's Second Headquarters

Quote:
Inc. culled data from a number of sources -- betting sites, shipping experts, investors, and people familiar with Amazon, among others -- to come up with the following list of top contenders, ranked (more or less) in order of likelihood.
1. Atlanta
2. Chicago
3. Austin
4. Philadelphia
5. Boston
6. Washington, D.C.

Quote:
4. Philadelphia

The city's mayor recently told reporters that Philadelphia represents a "Goldilocks zone" for the e-commerce giant, and he may not be wrong. In a report released in October, Moody's Analytics ranked the City of Brotherly Love as the third-most ideal location for Amazon, coming up just behind Austin and Atlanta, while NYU's Ginsberg suggests that Philadelphia is the city that most often appears across these varied analyses. In addition to its proximity to Eastern hubs including New York City and Washington, D.C., Philadelphia and the surrounding metro area includes dozens of prominent universities, including the University of Pennsylvania and Drexel. Plus, suggests Tusk, Amazon would get some credit for investing in a city that has struggled with issues such as income inequality and public safety. Paddy Powers give the city odds of 16:1.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 5:52 PM

^ It would be interesting to see their methodology, but the general description of what went into Inc.'s guesswork seems comprehensive and sensible enough (rather than crunching selective numbers). This is a list that reflects what seems to be common wisdom about the real contenders. I'm glad we're number 4, even with Paddy Power dragging us down. Even #1 (on Paddy Power) Atlanta only has 3:1 odds.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 6:43 PM

You know, this Amazon speculation has been going on and off here for months, and not very much has changed. It's like picking the football games of the week. You can pick someone, roll with it, argue for it, but that won't mean anything until game day.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 7:04 PM

Do we have an estimated announcement date yet?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Fishtown View Post
Salove has them as a tenant in the market: http://www.mscretail.com/wp-content/...Sheet_sm-1.pdf

RFP is a strong word for that document and I'd be surprised to see this land anywhere as it's been circling for years and I just don't see a place for them to go. Fashion District is officially too down market. They'd never accept that kind of co-tenancy. Ditto for East Market which never had the contiguous sf to handle them in the first place. They'd either need to work with a developer of an as-yet unbuilt building to specifically design around them, such as 1301 Market (though fitting that much space for them would be tough on a small footprint) or probably be willing to do a smaller store. The lobby and adjacent floors at 123 South Broad would be spectacular for them architecturally, but again I don't know that there's anywhere in Center City with the kind of adjacent brands they want.
Yea its really a gamble, I know Macy's in Center City is their top performing store in the region, and one of the top in their portfolio, and is a big reason why they want to expand with a full line Bloomingdale's in Center City. As you correctly stated though, they are having a challenging time finding a site, with significant ground presence and the right mix of upscale co - tenancy in close proximity. Even the Broad and Spruce site, would be a retail island and quite isolated.

Its a roll of the dice with Fashion District Philadelphia IMO. I give it a 50:50 odds, PRIET signs them. I know PREIT and Macerich are working to model Fashion District Philadelphia as much as they can after Fashion Outlets Chicago. Part of the reason they changed the name from Fashion Outlets Philadelphia to Fashion District Philadelphia, was to sign some high mid market/ higher market retailers. If you look at Fashion Outlets Chicago, you will see some aspects of their tenancy are compelling.

The best bet from a new development standpoint would be the commercial building proposed at 13/Market. But I do not think incorporating a large retail tenant is a priority for this project. Although retail is a component. But I am not sure how much. And I have not read or heard of any updates on this building in quite a while. https://philly.curbed.com/2016/12/20...s-philadelphia

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 8:28 PM

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 8:59 PM

I don't know the size, but PREIT is consolidating the parcels further down Market, across from the FDP/Gallery (where the curvy Robinson's facade is). If the rebranded FDP is still too "downscale" for Bloomie's, maybe the site across the street would offer more square footage than 1301, while remaining on a retail strip. Of course, if 8th & Market ever gets the desired mega project going, I'm sure they could work that in.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations