HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 7:55 PM
cities|transit|croissants

OTOH, at least Union Station has seats.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 7:55 PM

Wait, oh god, it does, doesn't it?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
It hasn’t rained or snowed for the past two months.
2018 could be totally dry. Climate change is rough stuff.

Job Fair, Training To Enhance Central 70 Project, Boost Construction Industry
December 13, 2017 - CBS4 Denver
Quote:
On Wednesday, it was hands-on training for those learning to operate backhoes. The free training is a real benefit to the community which would normally cost some $1,000.

The zero cost training was part of the agreement with the Central 70 Project. The training gives those residents an opportunity to learn the skills necessary to help with big construction projects.
And a Job Fair to boot
Quote:
There is a job fair for the Central 70 Project from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. Wednesday. The training center is in the Elyria-Swansea neighborhood at 3600 E. 46th Ave., which formerly housed Anderson Drilling.
The cross-training might be good for a couple of you. Better jump on it.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 8:37 PM

No Need to Reinvent the Wheel

Props to David Sachs for today's excellent piece summarizing and showing the preliminary results from Denver Moves; it's a must read.

Here’s Your First Look at the Map for Frequent, High-Quality Denver Transit
Dec 14, 2017 By David Sachs - Denver Streetsblog
Quote:
Last week, City Hall’s Denveright transit initiative unveiled the preliminary map for a high-frequency transit network, a grid of service that arrives at least every 15 minutes.

Image: City and County of Denver via Denver Streetsblog

Quote:
Planners don’t have dollar figures to attach to these proposals yet. Funding and implementation strategies will be covered in the last section of the plan, due out in the first quarter of next year.
Frequency, by itself, presumably won't be that hard to fund. It's when you start adding enhanced quality/features that will make a critical difference with ridership success that the $'s start multiplying rapidly. Aside from any modest budgetary ability the heaviest lifting will presumably be up to the voters.

Since this is a Denver-specific plan it seems well done. Ultimate success likely will rely on passing a metro-wide plan; Denver can't by itself match the clout or results of what being able to partner with a D-Met Transport could bring.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 11:50 PM
ColoRADo

Additionally, here's the FTN and Investment continuum:

Source

Old Posted Dec 16, 2017, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
No Need to Reinvent the Wheel

Props to David Sachs for today's excellent piece summarizing and showing the preliminary results from Denver Moves; it's a must read.

Here’s Your First Look at the Map for Frequent, High-Quality Denver Transit
Dec 14, 2017 By David Sachs - Denver Streetsblog

Image: City and County of Denver via Denver Streetsblog

Frequency, by itself, presumably won't be that hard to fund. It's when you start adding enhanced quality/features that will make a critical difference with ridership success that the $'s start multiplying rapidly. Aside from any modest budgetary ability the heaviest lifting will presumably be up to the voters.

Since this is a Denver-specific plan it seems well done. Ultimate success likely will rely on passing a metro-wide plan; Denver can't by itself match the clout or results of what being able to partner with a D-Met Transport could bring.
Really happy to see this is moving forward. Ideally all of these lines would be 12min or less in the future and I don't think the amenities that are absolutely necessary are crazy expensive: starting with route numbers and maps at stops, live arrival screens for which the technology is already available, and instructions posted for how to pay for fares multiple ways.

I think a lot of us have had a very similar plan in our heads for a while, so lets hope the voters see the importance to fund such a necessary public service.

Denver - City by the bay!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2017, 9:28 PM

This looks interesting and many of the suburbs should take a cue from this as well (several corridors such as Wadsworth Blvd could use focused high frequency bus service).

Last edited by CastleScott; Dec 16, 2017 at 10:20 PM.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2017, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleScott View Post
This looks interesting and many of the suburbs should take a cue from this as well (several corridors such as Wadsworth Blvd could use focused high frequency bus service).
Totally agree. This looks incredibly promising and great for the future of Denver. The suburbs could easily build up their transportation connecting to the FastTrack lines established.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2017, 1:27 AM

It's incredibly ableist that RTD didn't put any seating in their new station.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmapper View Post
It's incredibly ableist that RTD didn't put any seating in their new station.
It could be that with a tight budget to start with they decided to defer any decision on seating for later. It could be that they wanted to cater to those using transit as opposed to those that are just looking for a place to hang? Your guess, ofc is as good as mine. BTW, I learned my new word of the day thanks to "ableist."

When you make smart decisions it can be a difference maker

Ridership Up On OCTA’s Improved Bus Routes
November 10, 2017 By THY VO - Voice of Orange County
Quote:
Bus ridership on north and central Orange County routes overhauled last year by the Orange County Transportation Authority (OCTA) has increased by nearly 20 percent, according to report presented Thursday to the board’s transit committee.
How did you do that, Orange County?
Quote:
The agency conducted its largest ever overhaul of bus routes last year. It generally cut service in south county and shifted those resources to busier routes in north and central Orange County, where the majority of the system’s riders are concentrated.
Unfortunately there is a downside to the upside.
Quote:
Although the overhaul has meant positive outcomes for riders where service has increased, it exacerbated declines by cutting service in areas with lower ridership, largely in south Orange County.
This is a lot of what Cirrus (and I) have been speaking to and by default what Denver Moves is looking to do.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 12:05 AM
ColoRADo

When you turn the dial from coverage to ridership, this is what happens (without additional funding). Good on them for making that tough call.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 9:48 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

And now I can call it a year.

CDOT, Meridiam Kiewit Partners seal the deal for $2.35 billion I-70 project

https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/n...eal-for-2.html

Last edited by bunt_q; Dec 24, 2017 at 1:12 AM.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
And now I can call it a year.

CDOT, Meridiam Kiewit Partners seal the deal for $2.35 billion I-70 project

https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/n...eal-for-2.html

- Bravo

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 8:04 PM

^ Sounds cool-thanks bunt!

Oh btw I'll kinda miss how that elevated I-70 viaduct over 48th Ave sorta gave Denver a bit of a big city back east kinda feel (back when I was in college I helped a friend who was majoring in film do a lil car chase scene in that location and also under the old 20th Street viaduct back in 1983).

And Happy Holidays to all!

Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenPost
Testing of RTD’s long-delayed G-Line to Arvada and Wheat Ridge can resume, judge says

A judge gave RTD approval late Tuesday to resume full testing of the long-delayed G-Line commuter train to Arvada and Wheat Ridge, a move that should help the transit agency get the 11-mile rail line open to the public more quickly.

Regional Transportation District spokesman Scott Reed said he didn’t know how long testing would take, saying only that it would probably last “months” and that approvals from both state and federal regulators would be needed before revenue service could begin.

The G-Line was originally set to open to the public in October 2016.

City leaders in Arvada and Wheat Ridge have lambasted the PUC for the delayed opening of the G-Line. The Arvada City Council signed off on a letter this fall that read “the continued, open-ended delay in commencing passenger service on the G-Line has real-world consequences for our communities and citizens.

“Our patience is at an end.”

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 8:18 PM

^ Finally out to my original hometown! I remember when RTD's original plan was for diesel push-pull sets, although the electric trains are sleek and nice.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 12:49 AM

New Year's Ketchup

JustRide Bustang App Gives Riders Access To Tickets, Schedules

Ribbon Cutting Signals Completion Of I-25 & Arapahoe Project
What I want to know is which one of you Yahoo's will drive this completed project and give us street level report?

Shuffling the Shuttle: Could This Be the Dawn of a New Era for Denver's Iconic Main Street?
An nice article in Confluence Denver from way back in Oct, it's about the 16th Street Mall and a good read.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 3:13 PM

Nice to see the Governor back the importance of road funding

Hickenlooper calls for more transportation spending in Colorado budget
Jan 3, 2018 By Ed Sealover - DBJ
Quote:
Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper has reversed course and called for new general-fund spending for transportation in next year’s state budget — a move that could give a significant boost to business groups’ efforts to help roads, bridges and transit.
Meaning what exactly?
Quote:
The Democratic governor sent a letter to the Colorado Legislature's Joint Budget Committee late Tuesday requesting that $148.2 million of the expected $256.5 million in newly forecast general-fund revenues for the fiscal year beginning on July 1 be put to transportation.
Hickenlooper also want the balance to go into the “rainy day fund.” I approve of both.
FWIW, I also think this is 'politically' wise.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 5:18 PM

Is there any word on building a rail from downtown to Cherry Creek? I feel like all these rail lines are connecting the suburbs and leaving downtown unconnected.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 6:29 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Yeah. None.

There's been talk about upgrading the bus service between Cherry Creek and Downtown as part of the Denver Moves: Transit study. It wouldn't be a BRT corridor, but would see enhanced service (better bus stop amenities, frequency, and somewhat reduced travel time).

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West