HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 4:10 PM

I watched thru this part of the council meeting and the majority of councilors made it very vocal they would not support any further commercial development north or west of granite drive or for the new portion of granite Sorry "granit" drive.(there was some really weird rant about the spelling of the name)

They want to halt city sprawl at the TCH boundry.

This end is to be a 1km street thru the trees to get to get costco basically, it will not be serviced or developed.

Alot of complaints about traffic on McLaughlin.. this fall the traffic has been horrible on McLaughlin as people were avoiding elmwood construction.. the road is in rough shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Moncton city council has agreed to the extension of Granite Drive through to McLaughlin.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 5:39 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammn_guy View Post
I watched thru this part of the council meeting and the majority of councilors made it very vocal they would not support any further commercial development north or west of granite drive or for the new portion of granite Sorry "granit" drive.(there was some really weird rant about the spelling of the name)

They want to halt city sprawl at the TCH boundry.
Perfectly defensible for the foreseeable future. There isn't that much need for additional retail development in the city at present (although I'm sure a lot of retailers would like to set up shop next to Costco).

Quote:
This end is to be a 1km street thru the trees to get to get costco basically, it will not be serviced or developed.
Hence there will be no need to expand the municipal service boundary. Things could be different in 10-20 years though. Things will likely change in the future.

Quote:
A lot of complaints about traffic on McLaughlin.. this fall the traffic has been horrible on McLaughlin as people were avoiding elmwood construction.. the road is in rough shape.
Did anyone mention the plans for a TCH/McLaughlin interchange? This could definitely affect traffic flow on McLaughlin. Regardless, I think the city and province will have to come up with a plan to improve McLaughlin Road. It will increasingly serve an important function as a safety valve for traffic congestion on Elmwood over the next couple of decades. They will not be able to ignore this much longer........

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 5:49 PM

Such BS.

City council used the "don't want to spread north of the highway urban sprawl" argument to push through the new business park off Elmwood. Just over a calendar year later, they approve this...

Utter and complete BS.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 6:52 PM

There was no talk of the TCH.. besides mention that the NB government approved the intersection(includes dedicated turning lanes in all directions). Most of the talk was concerning traffic lights.. and who would pay for them. Developer will pay for lights at McLaughlin/Granit within 5 yrs if needed.

But there have complaints around people trying to get from the various side streets onto McLaughlin, from streets like Hennessy and leapold blvd, and some thought the developer should pay for lights at those intersections. (they will not)

personally i am more concerned about the ability of the Morton/McLaughlin and Elmwood/Norton intersections.. they are both extermely busy and frequently have long waits during the day.. especially left hand turns from Morton to McLaughlin.

Quote:
Did anyone mention the plans for a TCH/McLaughlin interchange? This could definitely affect traffic flow on McLaughlin. Regardless, I think the city and province will have to come up with a plan to improve McLaughlin Road. It will increasingly serve an important function as a safety valve for traffic congestion on Elmwood over the next couple of decades. They will not be able to ignore this much longer........

Last edited by Ammn_guy; Dec 19, 2017 at 7:03 PM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 7:07 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
personally i am more concerned about the ability of the Morton/McLaughlin and Elmwood/Norton intersections.. they are both extermely busy and frequently have long waits during the day.. especially left hand turns from Morton to McLaughlin.
The easiest way to avoid increasing congestion at McLaughlin/Morton would be to build the McLaughlin/TCH interchange. This would allow traffic dispersal to other parts of the city via the TCH.

BTW - I'm sure the name of the new street north of the TCH is Granite (not Granit). It will be serving the Granite Centre.......

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 8:00 PM

Bourdreau added an amendment asking the name be changed to the french spelling of "granit" as opposed to the english spelling "granite". It said with and 'e' it was not a french word and it made no sense in the bilingual format. only in nb.

Quote:
The easiest way to avoid increasing congestion at McLaughlin/Morton would be to build the McLaughlin/TCH interchange. This would allow traffic dispersal to other parts of the city via the TCH.

BTW - I'm sure the name of the new street north of the TCH is Granite (not Granit). It will be serving the Granite Centre.......

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Bourdreau added an amendment asking the name be changed to the french spelling of "granit" as opposed to the english spelling "granite". It said with and 'e' it was not a french word and it made no sense in the bilingual format. only in nb.
I've realised something. This type of thing has been going on more, and more since the minister of Education has said something along the lines of "We need to keep the french, and english seperate" while talking about the education system.

while we are at it I wonder if there is still that masive discreptency in the French, and English education systems. If so. Message to the english speakers Get on are level

Last edited by Scarface; Dec 19, 2017 at 8:45 PM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 8:18 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Well, Councilor Boudreau has just lost my vote........

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 3:21 PM

Quote:
In the morning, traffic can also be quite insane for the reverse (right turn from McLaughlin to Morton). I do it every day from where I live, near l'École l'Odyssée to where I work, the university. Normally, it should take less than five minutes, but it's taken me more than 20 minutes on a few occasions. There are more and more apartment complexes being built in the area and I believe the infrastructure may be lacking. If Leopold F Belliveau were to continue to Crowley Farm, I think it could alleviate most of the traffic woes on this corner...

Luckily I often bike to work when it's nice! I can imagine big city folks laughing at our "traffic problems".

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patapouf26 View Post
I can imagine big city folks laughing at our "traffic problems".
Indeed. Any traffic in Moncton is still a very minor inconvenience of just a few extra minutes to your commute. However, I have noticed a significant increase compared to just 5 years ago when I moved back to the area and even more so when compared to 10 years before that when I last lived here.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 5:40 PM

Noticed that work on the Granite Dr extension has already begun. They wasted no time and began work yesterday, I wasn't sure if that is what they were doing but today I noticed they already have the trees cut 1/2 through. They have also cleared another piece of land at the end of where they had completed phase 1 of Granite drive. They are moving quickly with this project.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 5:51 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvui View Post
They have also cleared another piece of land at the end of where they had completed phase 1 of Granite drive. They are moving quickly with this project.
That's probably Costco.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 6:14 PM

Quote:
That's probably Costco.
I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of announcement in the next few weeks now that the extension has been approved and started.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 6:17 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvui View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of announcement in the next few weeks now that the extension has been approved and started.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if city council doesn't break down and extend the municipal service boundary here within the next 3-5 years. Having Costco on Granite Drive is going to really create a lot of pressure for neighbouring retail expansion. This may be too much to resist. If this happens, the McLaughlin/TCH interchange will follow in short order.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 1:50 AM

From the FB Retail a place called Kimbao Chinese buffet restaurant to open between Guacamole and Domino's pizza on Morton/McLaughlin intersection

Last edited by micks5477; Jan 4, 2018 at 2:12 AM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 6:53 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't be at all surprised if city council doesn't break down and extend the municipal service boundary here within the next 3-5 years. Having Costco on Granite Drive is going to really create a lot of pressure for neighbouring retail expansion. This may be too much to resist. If this happens, the McLaughlin/TCH interchange will follow in short order.
So you're saying that with Costco still potential moving to Granite. That there might be a push for a Granite Power Centre? Now that would be It seems to look like previous plans by developers to buy up land at Harisville Blvd, and build a Harisville Power Centre, and we all know there can't be 2 power centres in an expanding city.

Sarcasm got to love it. But In fact I do hope that it hapens, and in a way that wont cause businesses to move into the newest building site. Because it ill only end badly for areas like Wheeler Park Power Centre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micks5477 View Post
From the FB Retail a place called Kimbao Chinese buffet restaurant to open between Guacamole and Domino's pizza on Morton/McLaughlin intersection

Glad to see another unit fill up In that strip.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 1:17 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Signage has been installed for the new Mission Thrift Store located in the old Can-Am Chrysler Building on Morton Ave.

https://missionthriftstore.com/store/moncton/

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 5:19 AM

Quote:
Signage has been installed for the new Mission Thrift Store located in the old Can-Am Chrysler Building on Morton Ave.

https://missionthriftstore.com/store/moncton/
Mission Thrift Store seem to have a strange bussiness strategy as to being open 0 days a week, and only working as a donation centre, and at that for one day Saturday 12:00 pm - 02:00 pm

It seems they might be running as a Donation centre for the Fredericton, and Saint John locations whom both seem to have no Donation hours

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 10:16 PM

I would assume that’s just temporary until they are set to fully open. Above the hours it still says opening soon.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 6:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micks5477 View Post

Some more information on the new restaurant.

http://huddle.today/moncton-mclaughl...se-restaurant/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces