HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 6:45 PM

Just found out that there is a Mary Brown's location in Florida! In Englewood.

St-Hubert and Swiss Chalet both had locations in Florida in the past but no longer do.

This Mary Brown's is a diner-style location and look at how they have Americanized the menu! https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...A+menu+PDF.pdf

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post

St-Hubert and Swiss Chalet both had locations in Florida in the past but no longer do.

This Mary Brown's is a diner-style location and look at how they have Americanized the menu! https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...A+menu+PDF.pdf
Dang, that menu is better than actual Mary Browns.

I know there is a Mary Brown's Diner on Torbay Road in St. John's. I know the menu is different, but I don't know if it's similar to that or not. I know you can buy beer there at least

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
The question of whether language overrides all the other cultural, political or social differences between various peoples is interesting. Does an average suburban-living Francophone Quebecois have more in common with a fresh off the boat immigrant from a distant part of the Francophonie, say, a Senegalese who is fluent in French but has just only recently been exposed to western culture, than another average suburban-living Anglophone Vancouverite who has never been east of the Rockies and never spoken a lick of French past his schoolkid days?

On the other hand, you can argue that language is really important.

After all, imagine you have several people that have tons in common, culturally they share similar ways of living like cooking, dressing, music, etc. and politically they agree on all the hot topics (eg. both are equally left or right wing), both enjoy the same hobbies, and have similar outlooks on life. But if these people don't speak a lick of each others' languages, how will they even communicate to get to know each other enough well enough to find out?
I recall looking to rent a place in Montreal. In one of the places I looked the wife of the owner was originally from francophone Africa, but had most recently lived in France for some time. She described her confusion when she first moved to Quebec that people spoke French and so she expected them to also behave and act like those in France. Instead, she said they thought and acted very differently, and what she described as more North American in nature. I thought that was an interesting description from her perspective.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post

I didn't know what Mary Brown's was, but man do they have a lot of locations. There's something like 5 in Oshawa alone! Very impressive. Next time I see one I'm going to have to make a point to eat there. Not sure whether to believe it or not, but their website describes them as Canada's fastest growing franchise, with over 130 restaurants...

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 5:34 PM
Lower Lonsdale YIMBY

Much like Quebec and the rest of the maritimes, NFLD is just more of the nebulous far east that we're aware of but don't really have anything to do with on the west coast. I've only met one Newfoundlander, his accent is funny and he's super racist against Muslims, that's all of my experience outside of SignalHillHiker's postings here.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Much like Quebec and the rest of the maritimes, NFLD is just more of the nebulous far east that we're aware of but don't really have anything to do with on the west coast. I've only met one Newfoundlander, his accent is funny and he's super racist against Muslims, that's all of my experience outside of SignalHillHiker's postings here.
SignalHillHiker is from Newfoundland He kept that quiet.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 6:52 PM

Quote:
The racism aspect would probably not be any more typical than anywhere else in Canada. Like many countries in the world where people are forced to emigrate, the NLers who leave for economic reasons are not always the best the place has to offer.

Quote:
How Newfoundlanders are taking a remarkable stand against Islamophobia
To 3,000 Muslims on the island, the province is an example to the world of how to get along
http://www.macleans.ca/society/how-n...-islamophobia/

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 9:17 PM
Lower Lonsdale YIMBY

Oh yeah I don't assume other NFLDers are racist because he was.

I'm honestly not even sure if "Newfies" is considered derogatory or not, on that topic.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 9:50 PM
Haru Urara

Quote:
I'm honestly not even sure if "Newfies" is considered derogatory or not, on that topic.
It's not.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2017, 7:18 AM

Quote:

It depends on who you are talking with. My educated friends who live in Timmins are originally from NL find "Newfie" to be very offensive. Others who I have spoken with while in Newfoundland weren't bothered by it. For the record, I have never called anybody a "Newfie."

Old Posted Dec 25, 2017, 3:30 PM

Some people get butthurt about the word Newfie. They shouldn't.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada