HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
No.

Every person in every workplace is required to wear PPE to protect from the dangers of the job. Police are no exception. With the amount of edged weapon use is this city, body armour and a weapon are a must. Handcuffs too.
Yes, but there are very small things that can be done to wear PPE without looking like a member of an occupying army.
  • Wearing vests underneath the uniform rather than over top
  • Wearing white or light blue shirts with a tie, or high viz vests/polo shirts -- no all-black or all-army-green
  • Wearing a badge, not a velcroed POLICE patch across your chest
  • Not wearing mirrored Oakley flaks
  • Not tucking/blousing your pants into your boots
  • Using closed instead of open handcuff cases
  • No sand coloured 'tac' boots
  • No high-and-tight haircuts

In other words... there's a lot of things that police can do to appear less militarized that don't actually involve less PPE.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2017, 3:35 AM
Because it's 2015.

I've always thought it was kind of weird that North American police opted for black cars and black vests when police in other countries use high visiblity vests and cars. Why are the police always trying to hide from and sneak up on us?

Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
I've always thought it was kind of weird that North American police opted for black cars and black vests when police in other countries use high visiblity vests and cars. Why are the police always trying to hide from and sneak up on us?
If I recall, the design of vehicles was voted on by members. And if you let members vote, they will choose the "cool" intimidating look.

But regardless of look, I never feel specifically fearful of police because of their black cars or even tactical uniforms. Then again, Im a white guy.

But when you see videos of take downs with multiple officers all climbing over each other to get a piece of a guy or screaming multiple orders while pointing rifles, its no wonder many end badly. Its how they police, not really how they look.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
If I recall, the design of vehicles was voted on by members. And if you let members vote, they will choose the "cool" intimidating look.

But regardless of look, I never feel specifically fearful of police because of their black cars or even tactical uniforms. Then again, Im a white guy.

But when you see videos of take downs with multiple officers all climbing over each other to get a piece of a guy or screaming multiple orders while pointing rifles, its no wonder many end badly. Its how they police, not really how they look.
So the motto ''serve and protect" no longer applies?

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
So the motto ''serve and protect" no longer applies?
I don't recall seeing ''serve and protect" on WPD cruisers. The old back with white door marked cars did not have anything on them if I recall properly.

Its been ''community commitment" then building relationships" and I think the new marked cruisers have "a culture of safety for all" as the latest one.

Serve and protect I always thought was more of as US motto.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 2:12 PM

I saw this on buried in a finance report on transit's fare collection system:
T"he project remains within amended budget but is behind schedule. This is due to a failure of
the contractor, Garival Inc., to deliver on several remaining Phase 2 milestones.
Progress on these milestones was disrupted during the period of July 1, 2017 – September 30,
2017. On July 11, 2017, the peggo system’s software’s capacity to load products onto cards
from online purchases was overloaded. The contractor responsible for support of the system,
Garival Inc., undertook emergency measures to return the system to operation. However, their
actions caused a problem with some of the data that is responsible for transferring online
product purchases to customers’ cards. The contractor indicated they had resolved the
problems in the data and Winnipeg Transit undertook case-by-case resolution for those
customers the contractor identified as situations they were unable to fix.
On August 19, 2017, a secondary failure of the process mentioned above occurred. As a result,
some online customer orders did not successfully transfer to the customer’s card. Garival
worked since this time to restore all products to peggo customers. Over the course of September, outstanding customer issues were resolved and the system was returned to a stable state."

Found here -> http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/View...onId=&InitUrl=
Now there are problems with U-Pass

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 5:20 AM
Speak the truth, then run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn99 View Post
On July 11, 2017, the peggo system’s software’s capacity to load products onto cards from online purchases was overloaded.
Perhaps that's why you can't load your card from CIBC and other banks. Why you can't pay via Interac despite the Interac logo on the site. It's to throttle the number of users.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 6:36 AM

The new RT station at U of M is awful... its located way down Dafoe, far away from most of the campus and the busiest stops are all at the very end. Also it just has large shelters with RT logos tacked on them. I hoped it would be similar to the station at Jubilee or Fort Rouge

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 7:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post
The new RT station at U of M is awful... its located way down Dafoe, far away from most of the campus and the busiest stops are all at the very end. Also it just has large shelters with RT logos tacked on them. I hoped it would be similar to the station at Jubilee or Fort Rouge
I think it's difficult to locate the bus stops conveniently due to the disaster that is Dafoe in general. The issue is more so the bad planning of the campus, where a small road like Dafoe cuts through the middle of it and serves as the primary entrance point for huge numbers of cars and buses onto campus. Makes it difficult for anyone to travel along it, and to cross too. The main exchange had to be further where much fewer cars and people go so as not to conflict with them all any more than they already do. With regards to individual bus routes, I'm sure there's some reason why they ended up the way they did.

As far as the stations go, I think it'd be hard to make one big fancy one like on the Transitway, given the many buses that stop there. Can't make one super long one; I think the way they did it with multiple large shelters makes sense.

My only complaint is that they used those tall upside-down-L stop markers. They're so ugly and old-fashioned and I assumed they were being phased out in favour of the tall rectangles. Guess not.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 7:33 AM
Spiritual

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 7:35 AM
Spiritual

Quote:
Made in Manitoba "rapid transit"

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Buses into the U of M are being delayed by up to 15 minutes due to having to turn from University Cres onto Dafoe. Something wasn't well thought out.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 3:49 PM

Quote:
any pics?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 4:07 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
Ha. Pretty much this.

Given that when you hear a politician utter the words "Made in Manitoba solution" you know you're about to get something second rate, this is a pretty apt description. But it's better than nothing

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
bus rapid transit, the made in manitoba way:
  • on-board payment
  • single-door boarding
  • low-floor buses
  • closely-spaced stops
  • rush-hour-only diamond lanes
  • non-climate-controlled stations
  • dedicated lanes shared with taxis and cyclists

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 5:13 PM

^ a scathing indictment

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 4:28 AM

isnt u of m station on dafoe located at the same spot as the old bus stop. Next to the quad? Theres a new rest area at the east end.

But yes its a glorified bus stop, part of the RT network.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 4:34 AM

The transitway proper comes no where near u of m. so thats why its not like the other stations.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 6:39 PM

The new U of M station is fine... it extends about 60 feet further east than it used to but this means the busses have more room to drop off/pick up. The are more, larger heated stations than before... There isn't enough room for shelters like the ones along the actual transit way, plus using those would make it hard to actually access the stops. Definitely haven't seen busses delayed by more than maybe one light cycle, no worse than it was before

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingDuck View Post
The new U of M station is fine... it extends about 60 feet further east than it used to but this means the busses have more room to drop off/pick up. The are more, larger heated stations than before... There isn't enough room for shelters like the ones along the actual transit way, plus using those would make it hard to actually access the stops. Definitely haven't seen busses delayed by more than maybe one light cycle, no worse than it was before
The station is practically the same as before except further down Dafoe and a longer walk for its users. I had hoped that the station would have stayed in its old location along the Quad. Here there would have been more room for bigger shelters and more distinct RT stations. Overall the station works but I had hoped for more, considering it is the terminus of the SW transitway. Every time I use it though it does suck having to walk way down Dafoe in the cold just to catch the 160...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan