HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 3:53 PM
of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
What everyone is saying is that it's a sweeping condemnation of the NDP's performance.
I don't think everyone is saying this. I think a much better indication of condemnation of the NDP's performance would have been if JK could have done this in an NDP safe riding.

Electing a conservative (especially a conservative leader) in Calgary-Lougheed is pretty meaningless.

Really the only change I see in the legislature with JK there is that the level of compassion has dropped significantly.
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWin View Post
I don't think everyone is saying this. I think a much better indication of condemnation of the NDP's performance would have been if JK could have done this in an NDP safe riding.

Electing a conservative (especially a conservative leader) in Calgary-Lougheed is pretty meaningless.

Really the only change I see in the legislature with JK there is that the level of compassion has dropped significantly.
I know I'm wasting my time doing this but I'll point out one last time that the NDP won that seat in 2015. It's not the guaranteed conservative seat some of you think it is. And what is an NDP safe riding in AB? Does such a thing even exist? Poll after poll by every pollster out there has shown that the NDP would be decimated if an election were held at the time. Four (?) by election loses in a row is another indication. Everyone who is objective is saying that the loss was a condemnation of their performance. Yeah, Kenney was expected to win but the NDP wasn't expected to as badly as they did.

Level of compassion? When has the legislature ever been known for being compassionate? Certainly not now with the NDP about to jack up the carbon tax again while our economy is still struggling. The NDP's only hope of getting reelected is via events out of their control.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 8:48 PM
of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
I know I'm wasting my time doing this but I'll point out one last time that the NDP won that seat in 2015.
Dave Rodney stepped down so that Jason Kenny could run. Dave Rodney was the MLA for Calgary-Lougheed. He was elected in 2015 as a Conservative and stepped down in 2017 as a UCP member.

The riding was created in 1993 and has always been conservative.
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWin View Post
Dave Rodney stepped down so that Jason Kenny could run. Dave Rodney was the MLA for Calgary-Lougheed. He was elected in 2015 as a Conservative and stepped down in 2017 as a UCP member.

The riding was created in 1993 and has always been conservative.
My mistake--I was wrong. Not sure why I forgot that Rodney stepped down. The NDP did however come close to winning that seat. They only lost by about 500 votes.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 8:58 AM

First UCP policy ideas are tired nostalgia and wrong for the times.
Don Baird for the Calgary Herald
http://calgaryherald.com/news/politi...-the-klein-era
Quote:
The UCP’s flat tax would help only the well-to-do...It hurts the treasury while offering nothing to most taxpayers. Alberta is vastly changed since the Klein era. Reviving that prosperity requires originality, not more dreams of old schemes

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 6:41 PM

I find the whole CUP thing fascinating in a Trump clone sorta way. How do you market a product deeply unpopular in blind taste tests? Drip it in nostalgia! Unfortunately the market for that is re-Kleining rapidly due to natural causes, which is why watching Kenney "lead" is like watching a cat trying to climb the curtains. Awkward and bound to fail yet you can't turn away...

I personally can't even consider him leadership material with the sheer amount of hate propaganda that "man" is responsible for either personally or by encouraging others...

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 7:01 PM
HVAC guru

^ While not the least bit impressed with the UCP, I also don't really find it fascinating perse. I think it's exactly what most people think it is, for better or worse

What's fascinating to me is how the AP seems to be claiming to be the "centrist party" when the centrist party is actually the NDP, by most measures. I'm a little surprised at some of the folks jumping on that bandwagon, and I have to think it's because they're actually more right wing than they care to admit. Kind-of like saying you're a libertarian when you're really a conservative.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia