HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Vista Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

View Full Map

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie View Post
I also wonder how many windows were made before they had to switch to blue and at what expense?
None, Donnie. The news of the glass color change likely came to us months after it was decided by the developer/glass supplier.

If the glass were under production and developer wanted to change something, it would be at the developer's expense. Suppliers do not begin fabrication/production until approved submittals are in hand and final color selections have been made.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 6:03 PM

I wish the glass were just clear for once. It's always way too strongly tinted on Chicago's newer buildings. Is that a building code thing?

Especially if there is an interesting structure to reveal. Something like the Leadenhall Building here:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...nd_Gherkin.jpg
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Last edited by Tom In Chicago; Jan 3, 2018 at 11:21 PM.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I wish the glass were just clear for once. It's always way too strongly tinted on Chicago's newer buildings. Is that a building code thing?
I think it might be an energy efficiency thing.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 6:15 PM

It's a code thing, but this glass will come off fairly non reflective. I believe the reflectivity also changes with the color of the glass. I just hope the contrast is high.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
The problem with clear glass is that it makes the building a bird grinder. I believe there are restrictions on its usage because of that.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 6:47 PM
The City

If aesthetic concerns were the only concerns, Chicago would've contributed little to the world of architecture

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
The problem with clear glass is that it makes the building a bird grinder. I believe there are restrictions on its usage because of that.
Oh that's nice, i forgot about that

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombardier View Post
^I think glass is coming soon for this one, I heard January. The vendor is EFCO. The building has a large differential shortening because of the different height sections, so you are probably correct that it needs to get to a certain height before they can get started in order to reduce the differential.
Correct EFCO is the supplier. Heard there were issues with getting the system to pass testing.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
None, Donnie. The news of the glass color change likely came to us months after it was decided by the developer/glass supplier.

If the glass were under production and developer wanted to change something, it would be at the developer's expense. Suppliers do not begin fabrication/production until approved submittals are in hand and final color selections have been made.
Makes sense, thanks!

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 5:52 PM

Has anyone figured out what the giant square hole on the south side of the ground is for. If it was for an exterior lift i imagine it would have been installed already.

Oh, and gems has got a whole bunch of workers driving piles down today. So i'd say gems2 officially has lift off.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWillChicago View Post
Has anyone figured out what the giant square hole on the south side of the ground is for. If it was for an exterior lift i imagine it would have been installed already.

Oh, and gems has got a whole bunch of workers driving piles down today. So i'd say gems2 officially has lift off.
If I had to take a guess Id say its to get materials in and out of the lower levels without having to leave the foot print of the site

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombardier View Post
^I think glass is coming soon for this one, I heard January. The vendor is EFCO. The building has a large differential shortening because of the different height sections, so you are probably correct that it needs to get to a certain height before they can get started in order to reduce the differential.
"large differential shortening"-----------what's that?

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 9:26 PM

^basically there are 4 different height buildings sharing a floor plate on the lowest levels. The taller sections will shorten more than the shorter sections as the additional weight of the concrete is added floor by floor. That could create a differential in elevation between the taller sections and the shorter sections. They may have to wait until the building gets to a certain height so some of the shortening comes out of the structure, since the window system can only take a certain amount of difference in elevation.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 4:36 PM

Jan 1

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 1:45 AM

Visited sales center last weekend and was informed glass would go up in February, web cam expected to be elevated soon and one more penthouse sold last week.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanky View Post
Visited sales center last weekend and was informed glass would go up in February, web cam expected to be elevated soon and one more penthouse sold last week.
Thanks for the information! Cant wait to see how the glass looks with the slanted surface of the building

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 3:48 AM

I didn't realize the frustrums were modulating East-West. I thought the action was all North-South.
But now that I look closer to a rendering, the waists do look narrower E-W than the bulges, don't they?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
I didn't realize the frustrums were modulating East-West. I thought the action was all North-South.
But now that I look closer to a rendering, the waists do look narrower E-W than the bulges, don't they?
Well I'll be a son of a building block, you're rite..

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 9:35 PM

A frustum is not a triangle, it is a pyramid with the top cut off. This is the whole idea of the design, interlocking columns of pyramids with their heads cut off stacked next to each other. Sort of a Sears Tower of Infinity Columns:

wmf.org

See my original guess at it:

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 10:40 PM
1st Ward

^ Mighty fine handiwork there, Lou

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction