HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 3:09 PM

As of January 3rd, 2018, there's 14 vacant spaces for lease at Champlain Place, unheard of IIRC. Hopefully, 2018 will bring INTERESTING things to the mall.
13 if we consider Envy as a permanent tenant coming soon.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
As of January 3rd, 2018, there's 14 vacant spaces for lease at Champlain Place, unheard of IIRC. Hopefully, 2018 will bring INTERESTING things to the mall.
You should consider Envy a permanent tenant, they are a fantastic store, I know many women, who travel to Halifax or Fredericton specifically for this store.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Wow that's a sad state for a mall that was once a go to mall for many retailers and i think that CF is charging way to much for lease space and I just don't know what they can do to get stores in the mall.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 7:39 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan.richard View Post
Wow that's a sad state for a mall that was once a go to mall for many retailers and i think that CF is charging way to much for lease space and I just don't know what they can do to get stores in the mall.
I don't think it's as dire as some people think.

Cadillac Fairview naturally wants to operate Champlain Place like a fashion mall, because that's what the rest of their portfolio is like. This might be a bit of a tougher sell in Moncton than in Toronto or Vancouver, but I imagine CF is aware if this. There are renovations going on in the mall for a couple of retailers, and apparently Envy is moving into the old Coach location.

What will make a difference is what CF has in mind for the old Sears space, be it HBC, Simons or breaking up the space to accommodate other retailers like F21. This will tell us what the future of the mall will be.

No matter what, Champlain is the only mall we have left, and a city the size of Moncton justifies a regional mall, so Champlain isn't going to go anywhere. There are many malls in Canada in far worse shape than Champlain Place.

Champlain Place is a top tier two mall in Canada, and I don't think that's going to change.........

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 12:36 AM

Champlain is indeed in better shape than some (McAllister), but also worse than some too (Halifax Shopping Centre). Even Regent is doing better is some way. But the fact of the matter is, I've never seen the mall in such a rough place since I've been living here and it's been a long while. One of the problem with the mall is the odd and complicated layout (a racetrack layout or a cross shape is better) and its lack high foot traffic tenants other than Walmart for its missing parts. Some areas in the mall has little to no foot traffic. They need something really big in 2018-2019 with the vacant Sears or else things will get worse before it gets better. They also need a high profile & visible dining establishment, pronto! Come on Champlain everyone is doing it!

Last edited by OUIR@random; Jan 4, 2018 at 1:33 AM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Champlain is indeed in better shape than some (McAllister), but also worse than some too (Halifax Shopping Centre). Even Regent is doing better is some way. But the fact of the matter is, I've never seen the mall in such a rough place since I've been living here and it's been a long while. One of the problem with the mall is the odd and complicated layout (a racetrack layout or a cross shape is better) and its lack high foot traffic tenants other than Walmart for its missing parts. Some areas in the mall has little to no foot traffic. They need something really big in 2018-2019 with the vacant Sears or else things will get worse before it gets better. They also need a high profile & visible dining establishment, pronto! Come on Champlain everyone is doing it!

One thing that I am thinking for CF Champlain would be to bring in a retailer that would have the wow factor. But as far as foot traffic the mall layout doesn't help but we can't change it but CF needs to work harder in getting prospective tenants in there. If CF with the relationship they have in Quebec with Simonds that would be the coup de grace. But I wish there was a sit down restaurant at the mall. But I am still holding hope that we could land a Hollister, F21, even a bigger foot locker or Journeys But who knows.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 6:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan.richard View Post
One thing that I am thinking for CF Champlain would be to bring in a retailer that would have the wow factor. But as far as foot traffic the mall layout doesn't help but we can't change it but CF needs to work harder in getting prospective tenants in there. If CF with the relationship they have in Quebec with Simonds that would be the coup de grace. But I wish there was a sit down restaurant at the mall. But I am still holding hope that we could land a Hollister, F21, even a bigger foot locker or Journeys But who knows.
I'm not sure if it was plans, or just hopefull thinking but there where drawings of a Redesigned Champlain Place (CF Champlain)with a second level, and potentially a 3rd Level food court only. But with the way it was built, and it's location do keep any building plans limited.they have to work with the space that is there unfortunatly. I do hope Simons is moving into the soon to be vacated Sears store, and do still hope a restaurant get put in there somewhere.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 12:51 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Where did you see this????

As far as I know, there have never been any serious plans to add a second floor to Champlain Place, and, given the fact the mall is built on a salt marsh, this may not be an engineering possibility (without extensive pile driving).

There have occasionally been flights of fancy posted on SSP regarding future possibilities for Champlain, but it has usually been clearly stated that these were works of the imagination and not to be taken seriously.

These days, I would be happy if CF Champlain were able to fill out it's existing footprint with new retail, boosting the occupancy back to near 100%. My wish list includes HBC/Simons for the old Sears space and a nice sit down restaurant. A recreational space like Playdium or Rec Room would be nice as well.

Speaking of which, Cineplex recently announced they were planning on 12-15 new Playdium locations in "mid sized communities" across the country, the sounds of which could include cities like Moncton.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/cine...ties-1.3615770

Malls are increasingly moving towards restaurants and entertainment spaces to boost foot traffic. If CF plans things right, this will attract new stores as well.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Where did you see this????

As far as I know, there have never been any serious plans to add a second floor to Champlain Place, and, given the fact the mall is built on a salt marsh, this may not be an engineering possibility (without extensive pile driving).

There have occasionally been flights of fancy posted on SSP regarding future possibilities for Champlain, but it has usually been clearly stated that these were works of the imagination and not to be taken seriously.

These days, I would be happy if CF Champlain were able to fill out it's existing footprint with new retail, boosting the occupancy back to near 100%. My wish list includes HBC/Simons for the old Sears space and a nice sit down restaurant. A recreational space like Playdium or Rec Room would be nice as well.

Speaking of which, Cineplex recently announced they were planning on 12-15 new Playdium locations in "mid sized communities" across the country, the sounds of which could include cities like Moncton.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/cine...ties-1.3615770

Malls are increasingly moving towards restaurants and entertainment spaces to boost foot traffic. If CF plans things right, this will attract new stores as well.
It was on an old Forum Site way back in the late 90's early 2000's, and did look quite profesional as I remember it. But never stated whether it was from the imagination of one person/groups of people, or plans drawn up by Cadillac Fairview(or company hired by CF). But I do asume that it was indeed the hopefull wishes of an forum member. I did look to see if I could find any remnance of the old posts but have had no luck.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 10:55 PM

CBS Boston reports 39 Sears and over 60 Kmart store will close in the US in 2018. It appears Sears is on Life support in the USA as well.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
CBS Boston reports 39 Sears and over 60 Kmart store will close in the US in 2018. It appears Sears is on Life support in the USA as well.
Bangor Mall is in a world of hurt...

https://bangordailynews.com/2018/01/...or-mall-store/

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 1:09 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good2go View Post
Bangor Mall is in a world of hurt...

https://bangordailynews.com/2018/01/...or-mall-store/
I was at Bangor Mall last summer and it's demise from it's glory days was truly shocking. The mall had to be at least 2/3rds vacant. The mall owners obviously couldn't afford upkeep. I've never seen a parking lot so cratered with potholes as the Bangor Mall lot was that day.

The whole Hogan Road shopping district looked to be in distress.........

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 3:10 PM

Moncton Rad, I have not been to Bangor since July 2016. Obviously the cross border trend is dead in Bangor. There used to be many restaurants in the hogan road/Stillwater Ave. corridor. Have many of these establishments been Shuttered as well. I can remember waiting an hour or so for a table on the Labour day long weekend. Moncton's issues are not quite as bad when you read stories such as the Bangor mall.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 3:46 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Moncton Rad, I have not been to Bangor since July 2016. Obviously the cross border trend is dead in Bangor. There used to be many restaurants in the hogan road/Stillwater Ave. corridor. Have many of these establishments been Shuttered as well. I can remember waiting an hour or so for a table on the Labour day long weekend. Moncton's issues are not quite as bad when you read stories such as the Bangor mall.
The restaurants and hotels are mostly all still there. It's the retail that's suffering. Mind you, there is a big brand new Walmart Superstore, Target, Lowe's and other such places in the Hogan Road area, so some of the retail has simply been displaced, but I agree with you - a lot of the retail in Bangor had been dependent on cross border Canadian traffic. Canada is now a dead market for the Bangor area. This is partly due to the exchange rate, but also due to the fact that retail in Canada in general is better than in secondary US markets.

Compared to the Bangor Mall, Champlain Place is a breath of fresh air. There is no comparison at all. Champlain Place has numerous successful high end retailers. The only issue at present is that there are more vacancies than usual. I have a feeling this will correct with time, especially if there are successful plans to repurpose the Sears space.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 5:36 PM

I also found, ( and have confirmed this through family & co-workers) that Hotel rooms and restaurant prices increased dramatically in the U.S from a few years ago. Many of my friends on PEI have stopped doing the Maine trip and go to Moncton/Halifax. Once you get home and the C. card bills are topped up 25 or 30% people told me Moncton was a much better option.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 1:54 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Today is apparently the last full day of operations at Sears Champlain Place.

RIP and good riddance.

To all Sears employees, here's hoping you can find satisfying employment elsewhere in the greater Moncton retail scene.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 4:25 PM

A friend of mine told me that Sears Charlottetown is also closing for Merchandise today or tomorrow, but he said they would be unofficially open to sell fixtures etc for a week or so.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 4:32 PM

Sounds like Sears Canada is shutting down in the smaller provinces (Maritimes, SK, MB) today. The remaining stores in the other 4 provinces (AB, BC, ON, PQ) will shutter by the weekend or so. At least according to a post on Retail talk.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 4:48 PM
Pro Trivia Player

Quote:
I also found, ( and have confirmed this through family & co-workers) that Hotel rooms and restaurant prices increased dramatically in the U.S from a few years ago. Many of my friends on PEI have stopped doing the Maine trip and go to Moncton/Halifax. Once you get home and the C. card bills are topped up 25 or 30% people told me Moncton was a much better option.
It so happens that I just got back from a trip to the U.S. (though not in Bangor, ME) where we did quite a bit of shopping.

I've also noticed that restaurant and even fast food prices are now virtually the same as in Canada - except they are in U.S. dollars.

Shoes are also not that much of a bargain in the U.S. anymore, though you can find deals if you look hard enough.

Hotels are so-so these days IMO.

Clothing other than shoes is still a pretty good bargain in my experience, even factoring in the unfavourable exchange rate.

Booze is also dirt cheap - unfortunately there are low limits to what you can bring back.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 5:04 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Apparently there are rumours that Roots is making a return to Champlain Place (possibly into part of the Tommy space). I don't know what this would mean to their Wheeler Park store, but they did just install new signage at Wheeler Park just a couple of months ago. I can't imagine they would have bothered if they were planning on moving........

Also, I gather that Envy is all but guaranteed to be moving into the old Coach space. Renovations are impending.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces