HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 1:50 PM

They're already open, some friends of mine were there last week.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 11:58 PM

I’ve noticed the new Home Hardware has opened on King Street. Does anyone remember what the plan is for the old site? I wish they would open it up for development as a lumber yard does not fit in well downtown.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj6286 View Post
I’ve noticed the new Home Hardware has opened on King Street. Does anyone remember what the plan is for the old site? I wish they would open it up for development as a lumber yard does not fit in well downtown.
Will be renovated and used by other businesses. Lumberyard will remain.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 12:29 PM
The Sheriff

See Capital pool and spa moved into their new location at 129 St Marys Street on the north side. They used to be in that building that burned down on King Street. They had a temp location next to home hardware on king street

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 4:08 PM

So, just looking at the history of this thread and to generate some discussion during the quiet months.

We hit 7000 posts in September 2015

8000 posts was hit in August 2016

9000 posts was hit in November 2017.

Chances are really good we'll hit 10,000 posts this year, probably later in the year depending on how chatty we'll be. (We only have a little 900 posts to go at this point)

That seems to be the point when we break the Uni-city thread into multiple topic threads. Moncton and Saint John were broken down that way.

So let's start some thinking on that. What would be some logical breakdowns for the Freddy threads?

[Fred] Retail Thread
[Fred] North Side
[Fred] South Side
[Fred] Downtown

Seem to be logical breakdowns similar to the other cities.

We might also want to put in the Northside Southside outskirts (Lincoln, Oromocto, New Maryland, Hanwell) and Southside Northside outskirts (Mactaquac, Douglas, Maugerville), though there may not be enough chatter for that, even if they were a single thread.

Might we want a separate thread for the Universities?

Ideally we might want to wait to do the thread breakdowns until Freddy officially becomes a CMA in 2020. By then this thread will probably be 12k posts, and I'm not sure we'd want to wait that long.

Last edited by Taeolas; Jan 3, 2018 at 4:30 PM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
So, just looking at the history of this thread and to generate some discussion during the quiet months.

We hit 7000 posts in September 2015

8000 posts was hit in August 2016

9000 posts was hit in November 2017.

Chances are really good we'll hit 10,000 posts this year, probably later in the year depending on how chatty we'll be. (We only have a little 900 posts to go at this point)

That seems to be the point when we break the Uni-city thread into multiple topic threads. Moncton and Saint John were broken down that way.

So let's start some thinking on that. What would be some logical breakdowns for the Freddy threads?

[Fred] Retail Thread
[Fred] North Side
[Fred] South Side
[Fred] Downtown

Seem to be logical breakdowns similar to the other cities.

We might also want to put in the Northside outskirts (Lincoln, Oromocto, New Maryland, Hanwell) and Southside outskirts (Mactaquac, Douglas, Maugerville), though there may not be enough chatter for that, even if they were a single thread.

Might we want a separate thread for the Universities?

Ideally we might want to wait to do the thread breakdowns until Freddy officially becomes a CMA in 2020. By then this thread will probably be 12k posts, and I'm not sure we'd want to wait that long.
I agree with your thoughts above. Keep in mind though that the Northside/Southside Outskirts have the wrong locations mentioned. Should be the opposite

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
I agree with your thoughts above. Keep in mind though that the Northside/Southside Outskirts have the wrong locations mentioned. Should be the opposite
Bah. I was trying to be so careful for that too, but had a brain fart.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 4:44 PM

It doesn't seem like a very busy thread, though. It's fairly easy to follow for the whole region as-is. Breaking it up will just mean stuff is spread out more and some of those threads will be dormant for extended periods of time.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tridus View Post
It doesn't seem like a very busy thread, though. It's fairly easy to follow for the whole region as-is. Breaking it up will just mean stuff is spread out more and some of those threads will be dormant for extended periods of time.
True. In many ways it's a chicken and the egg sort of thing too. Megathreads can be daunting at times, no matter how lethargic they are, but too many threads can be daunting as well.

The idea is to pick some good topics that can support their own threads, while not breaking things down so much that each thread is too specialized. Then the hope is that the subthreads will keep discussion going without a risk of being lost in other discussions in the same thread.

It used to be that SSP would break cities down into entire sub boards (look at Halifax) or just a subboard (Saint John's), but for NBs cities and the rest of the Maritimes, when the Moncton and Saint John threads got big enough it was decided to just leave them here but break the megathreads up a bit more.

In any case, since I proposed the threads, I don't really see a need to break Freddy down much more than outlined above. (North, South, Downtown, Retail and maybe Outskirts). Unlike Moncton and SJ, Freddy doesn't really have the sprawling suburbs and outskirt towns, beyond Oromocto which might warrant its own thread (combined with CFB Gagetown perhaps).

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 7:40 PM

January PAC agenda: http://www.fredericton.ca/sites/defa...pacjan2018.pdf

Looks like St. Mary's is planning a new commercial development including another gas station.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
Will be renovated and used by other businesses. Lumberyard will remain.
Was in yesterday and was talking to one of the staff. It seems that a carpet store is taking over the other building.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 2:19 PM

From the Retail talk page:

Quote:
Was in bluenotes regent mall yesterday, and they’re having a moving sale! Asked where they were moving to and the they said they’re moving to the uptown centre in the old pets unlimited and I asked why they were leaving the mall and they said the new retailer REALLY wanted that spot. Hoping it’s a good one if they pretty much force a store out so they could have that spot lol
So the Party City/Old Navy/Marshalls plan may not be entirely correct if Bluenotes is going to Uptown. It's a decent sized chunk of Regent to empty out, but there are bigger spaces over by Sears soon. On the other hand, it is near the Food court and in a high traffic hallway.

Still, it seems Primaris seems to have plans for the mall and is keeping the slots full, so all in all Regent seems to be doing well.

As for Uptown Centre, just before the Snowbomb last week I was by Staples and I could see work going on in the old Pets Unlimited and ANBL slots. Didn't look inside but action is happening.

*Edit* Just noticed/remembered that BlueNotes is next to Teavana, so that's two slots side by side that could be combined together. On the corner next to the food court it might make a fantastic mid range restaurant (a proper sit down place with servers), like people have wanted for Champlain Place.

More likely it will just be a clothing retailer though I don't know the chains enough to guess who it might be.

At least it very likely will NOT be another Jeweller. I'm pretty sure we're over capacity now.

Last edited by Taeolas; Jan 7, 2018 at 5:50 PM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
From the Retail talk page:

So the Party City/Old Navy/Marshalls plan may not be entirely correct if Bluenotes is going to Uptown. It's a decent sized chunk of Regent to empty out, but there are bigger spaces over by Sears soon. On the other hand, it is near the Food court and in a high traffic hallway.

Still, it seems Primaris seems to have plans for the mall and is keeping the slots full, so all in all Regent seems to be doing well.

As for Uptown Centre, just before the Snowbomb last week I was by Staples and I could see work going on in the old Pets Unlimited and ANBL slots. Didn't look inside but action is happening.

*Edit* Just noticed/remembered that BlueNotes is next to Teavana, so that's two slots side by side that could be combined together. On the corner next to the food court it might make a fantastic mid range restaurant (a proper sit down place with servers), like people have wanted for Champlain Place.

More likely it will just be a clothing retailer though I don't know the chains enough to guess who it might be.

At least it very likely will NOT be another Jeweller. I'm pretty sure we're over capacity now.

Big enough for a Dollarama?? (itching to get in on the rama joke train..)

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 1:22 AM

Considering Eastlink is in the PAC to build three cell towers, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them setup a store in the mall. The last time I was in Halifax, I noticed Eastlink seems to be mainly in malls as opposed standalone stores.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj6286 View Post
Considering Eastlink is in the PAC to build three cell towers, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them setup a store in the mall. The last time I was in Halifax, I noticed Eastlink seems to be mainly in malls as opposed standalone stores.
Signs are already up. They're putting a storefront in next to the Source in the mall.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeple Shanks View Post
Was in yesterday and was talking to one of the staff. It seems that a carpet store is taking over the other building.
Tommie's Flooring

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 7:07 PM

I see that Main Street's York Plaza is for sale: https://www.realtor.ca/Commercial/Bu...unswick-E3A1C8

Would be great to see this properly redeveloped.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
I see that Main Street's York Plaza is for sale: https://www.realtor.ca/Commercial/Bu...unswick-E3A1C8

I suspect the City is happy to see that on the market. When the Main street Plans were being made, I had the impression that the city would really like to see that property rebuilt into anything else pretty much. Or at least renovated and modernized.

Of course that was before PlayGo and Domino's and Evergreen moved in; now that it is fuller it might be harder to get as much redevelopment as they might want there, but with a new landlord it could be a good sign.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 7:25 PM
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post

Hard to believe that it is worth 4 Million.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blazer View Post
Hard to believe that it is worth 4 Million.
I can't really see it selling for that much.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces