HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 7:11 PM
I'm here for no one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
I'm failing to understand what's so interesting about this photograph.
Absolutely nothing. I think Genral was making a joke. (If not, I'd also like to know what was so interesting. )

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 7:13 PM
Mr. Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
I'm failing to understand what's so interesting about this photograph.
Me either other than that I wish developers would stop using sycamore trees for landscaping. They only have a lifespan of about 100 years, but can be even less than that. Their trunks tend become hollow once they reach a certain age/height and then they simply fall down. Not to mention they can grow to be about 70 feet tall and have a tendency to lean. Our neighbor's house almost got clobbered by theirs a few years ago when the top 20 feet of the tree (from about 70 feet up) came down during a cold front.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 7:16 PM
Semper Fidelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
I'm not sure if there's an official webcam for ZaZa, but if u use The Independent webcam, then click skyline cam, zoom in on the far right u can make out ZaZa peaking over The Silicon Lab building.

Link: https://www.workzonecam.com/projects...nt/workzonecam
Thank you very much!

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Me either other than that I wish developers would stop using sycamore trees for landscaping. They only have a lifespan of about 100 years, but can be even less than that. Their trunks tend become hollow once they reach a certain age/height and then they simply fall down. Not to mention they can grow to be about 70 feet tall and have a tendency to lean. Our neighbor's house almost got clobbered by theirs a few years ago when the top 20 feet of the tree (from about 70 feet up) came down during a cold front.
It's a pic of the construction. I think. Thanks Kevin about the trees. I like to know that. I'm in anchorage where the Sitka spruces only get to about 70-80 feet. The birch trees here get to about 100', but it only matters now that I'm playing with my flying camera/robot/drone. We also have cottonwood here, but it grows close to water like in Texas. They get really huge, but go unnoticed because they are in valleys.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2018, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Absolutely nothing. I think Genral was making a joke. (If not, I'd also like to know what was so interesting. )
I was unable to see your posted photo right after you posted it so I was just assuming, knowing you, it was probably spectacular and commented on it without seeing it. Apparently I was wrong, AND, not funny.
That being said, slow as the progress has been, it is starting to pick up.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2018, 5:37 AM

I actually smiled and laughed reading Genral's response. Classic and great.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I was unable to see your posted photo right after you posted it so I was just assuming, knowing you, it was probably spectacular and commented on it without seeing it. Apparently I was wrong, AND, not funny.
That being said, slow as the progress has been, it is starting to pick up.
I thought your response was a hilarious tongue in cheek reference to the photo BECAUSE it was not showing up, so you mentioned how beautiful it was. Definitely funny in my book.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 6:53 PM
Mr. Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvATX View Post
It's a pic of the construction. I think. Thanks Kevin about the trees. I like to know that. I'm in anchorage where the Sitka spruces only get to about 70-80 feet. The birch trees here get to about 100', but it only matters now that I'm playing with my flying camera/robot/drone. We also have cottonwood here, but it grows close to water like in Texas. They get really huge, but go unnoticed because they are in valleys.
My parents had some property out in Cedar Creek, and the backside of the property had a meadow that was wrapped with a small creek. Between the creek and the meadow was a lot of underbrush and some small trees. We cleared out the underbrush and left the trees. In the middle of all that was a huge cottonwood tree too big to put your arms around. My cousin lived across the street and you could see the top of the tree from the 2nd story window of their house.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 6:54 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I'm actually a big proponent of Sycamores, having just recently planted one in my back yard precisely for the height. They are a recommended native species shade tree by both the City of Austin and the National Wildflower Center. They can have some hollowing issues, however that tends to occure during severe droughts and as long as the tree gets some water then it's not as much of an issue. As with many tree species, theres variation, but they can live well over 200 years with some even older. One thing to point out is the city tends to use Mexican Sycamores as opposed to American Sycamores. They can get slightly damaged when we see cold temps like we've just experienced, but they tend to be more heat tolerant and have a gorgeous silver coloration on the underside of their leaves coupled with a whiter trunk than those of their northern cousins, makes it a stunning tree in an urban setting.

Last edited by Jdawgboy; Jan 3, 2018 at 7:48 PM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 7:42 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Now Cottonwood Trees are a different story. Personally I like them again due to their height, however I would not recommend planting them around structures. They are short lived anywhere from 100 years to as little as 50. Their wood can easily be weakened and break off, even very large branches. They are best along riparian areas or in ditches where water accumulates and sits.

I know this is off topic but I figured i'd add this in as well regarding tall trees. If you prefer tall trees, 50-100+ feet, these are the best suited to this region. Pecan, Walnut Sycamore, Bald/Montezuma Cypress, Eastern or Shumard Red Oak, Bur Oak. Cedar Elms can also grow very tall if they are in a wooded environment. There are a couple more natives that would also fit the bill but those are the most common options you will find. Live Oaks are of course huge massive trees, however they tend not to get much above 50 feet tall unless in a heavily wooded environment.

Anyways back to ZaZa, looks like maybe the pace has increased, but only a little though...

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 5:22 AM

Today.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 2:54 PM

More imposing than I originally gave it credit for being.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
More imposing than I originally gave it credit for being.
They should have stepped the building back a little more instead of putting that courtyard on the north side.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 7:40 PM
Mr. Avatar

They're about halfway finished with the 17th floor - so it's up to 192 feet 6 inches now.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 9:50 PM

Poor William Hobby is looking smaller and smaller. And shabbier and shabbier.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Poor William Hobby is looking smaller and smaller. And shabbier and shabbier.
A power wash and a coat of paint would make a world of difference for that sad Hobby building. Have any of you seen 823 Congress lately? They painted it light grey. It looks like a completely different building. It'll be interesting to see the final effect when the construction barricades come down around the ground floor.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 2:19 AM

The Frost tower looks beautiful from that angle in the next to last shot. The Hobby building looks like it needs a wrecking ball more than a facelift. The poor residents of the condos north of ZaZa need a slick realtor to get them out of the shadows. That parking lot in the 2nd pic needs to stay because I really like how it doesn't block that view...read density.

Last edited by the Genral; Jan 30, 2018 at 4:49 AM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 11:49 PM

Hotel Zaza update:

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 11:58 PM
Semper Fidelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhoof View Post
Hotel Zaza update:

Are they at the 18th floor right now? Does anyone know what the current height is? Will the Zaza be taller than the Indeed building to the left when it is done?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 12:10 AM
I'm here for no one.

Yes. Zaza will be 305' tall and for comparison the Chase building in the photo is 322' tall.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin