HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1941  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 2:25 PM
Neighbor Neighbor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by One ATLien View Post
I have traveled around the globe too, and Americans are actually more considerate in public, at least than most places I have been to, with the exception of parts of east Asia, and some European countries. Its all relative, compared to Japan, America might look like a mess in some regards, but compared to so many other parts of the world, America is actually a pretty organized place, And Americans are pretty civil for the most part.

Lets be real here, the beltline is still relatively new, probably hundreds of newcomers check it out for the first time everyday, and thousands on the weekends.. You really think they are all going to be aware of beltline etiquette? Like most people are going to research beltline etiquette every time they check it out? Its become somewhat of a tourist attraction, and you see families in droves on the beltline on the weekends, they are not going to strictly adhere to beltline etiquette weather we like it or not, most people, out of towners at least probably wont ever know there is such a thing as beltline etiquette, to them its just a trail you can walk around parts of the city on, they will just follow the general flow of others for the most part.

This is why when I see bikers get angry at pedestrians on the belt line it gets to me.. I've seen cursing and yelling from some bikers now several times.. How arrogant. It's a damn crowded shared space! Obviously for the most part its not going to be a smooth ride for a biker, especially on the weekends. Us locals need to chill out a little bit and be a little more humble. The belt line is new, and being able to walk in the city of Atlanta on this scale is a relatively new phenomena as well, we are not Tokyo or London where you would be able to walk freely all over the city for decades now..

I agree that line markings help greatly, but other than that the best the city can do is perhaps post what beltline etiquette is along the trail, and overtime more and more people will adhere to them, and follow what others are doing.
Well for one, I was not comparing the US to some third or second world nation - I'd assume that you could deduce that from my Japan comparison. Second this isn't rocket science, the expectation set is no different than the same etiquette you'd have if you were driving or using virtually any other mode of transportation for that matter. Slow keep to the right, pass on the left. It's literally that simple.

Perhaps the Beltline is just emblematic of shitty Atlanta drivers who still haven't figured that out. I see slow, inconsiderate drivers in the fast lane of the highway all the time, so I guess we should expect that on the Beltline as well? In any case, the Beltline should be doing more to incentive and promote proper trail etiquette.

I'd also like to point out that the Beltline's sister trail, the Freedom Parkway trail, also has markings separating the sides of the path and I don't hear anyone squealing about that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1942  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 10:09 PM
One ATLien One ATLien is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neighbor View Post
Well for one, I was not comparing the US to some third or second world nation - I'd assume that you could deduce that from my Japan comparison. Second this isn't rocket science, the expectation set is no different than the same etiquette you'd have if you were driving or using virtually any other mode of transportation for that matter. Slow keep to the right, pass on the left. It's literally that simple.

Perhaps the Beltline is just emblematic of shitty Atlanta drivers who still haven't figured that out. I see slow, inconsiderate drivers in the fast lane of the highway all the time, so I guess we should expect that on the Beltline as well? In any case, the Beltline should be doing more to incentive and promote proper trail etiquette.

I'd also like to point out that the Beltline's sister trail, the Freedom Parkway trail, also has markings separating the sides of the path and I don't hear anyone squealing about that.
I agree with you, I am all for path markings.. Whatever can keep trails as efficient and organized as possible.. I'm just saying lets not get ahead of ourselves, urbanity on this scale in Atlanta is still a new thing, people are learning, it will still take some time to be on the level of other world class cities. And driving and walking are 2 very different things, with out getting into details, I wouldn't compare the two.

If there is one thing I learned, there are plenty of bad drivers almost anywhere you go, Miami, LA, San Fran, etc and certainly Atlanta. You should see how chaotic driving is in other countries, not talking about 2nd or 3rd world countries either, look at southern Europe, Italy, Greece for example.

And yea slow drivers on the left lane are pretty annoying to me.. It surprises me how some older people haven't figured out that the left lane is basically the get the **** out of the way lane, and some just don't care. But hey it's life you always except that in public, not everyone is aware or intentionally try to displeasure others. Technology and organization are the cure to all our traffic woes.

Last edited by One ATLien; Dec 19, 2017 at 10:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1943  
Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 9:19 PM
Libertarian's Avatar
Libertarian Libertarian is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 652
__________________
The swamp will drain you
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1944  
Old Posted Jan 1, 2018, 11:02 PM
Libertarian's Avatar
Libertarian Libertarian is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 652
__________________
The swamp will drain you
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1945  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 8:08 PM
Pemgin Pemgin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 350
^ That might be a good one on which to watch 120 Piedmont going up.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1946  
Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 6:51 PM
Street Advocate Street Advocate is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,303
The Curbed article on the Clermont radio tower got me thinking:

What are people's thoughts on Atlanta incorporating more technology among its denser locations?

IMO, I'd love for Atlanta to push for not only better land use, but also more tech public services such as accessible free wi-fi. There's already free wi-fi in Piedmont Park and it would be nice to see it in places along the BeltLine, MARTA stations, bus stops (I realize there's a TON of work to improve our bus stations in general), and high pedestrian areas. And while we are at highly frequented bus stops, lets implement actual shelters and incorporate some real time route/transfer info. This would compliment other initiatives like the North Ave Smart Corridor and really separate Atlanta even further from other southern cities.

I'm trying to think of way of life items that would really make Atlanta even more enticing for people to live here and be more a destination location:

-publicly accessible wi-fi
-real time transit info and bus shelters at highly frequented bus stops and pedestrian locations (imagine if PCM had info about bus routes 102 and 2 arrival times to take you from Ponce de Leon to Midtown)
-better land use for developments and reduce parking minimums
-historical restorations where appropriate
-cross-town bicycle infrastructure
-increased bus headways
-begin construction on new transit lines (whether BRT, LRT, streetcars)
-legalize open container laws, supplemented with increased fees for littering. Crazy that Roswell has this but Atlanta does not.
-legalize recreational marijuana. Go all states rights, personal freedoms, and show the revenue studies of the new tax base to the state legislature and even they might get on board.
-more parks in general: pocket parks, basketball courts, soccer fields, etc.
-Not really up to the city, but encourage more in-town entertainment options such as rooftop restaurants/bars, brewpubs, places with bowling, bocce, table shuffleboard, board games, arcade games, etc. Maybe the city could play a role by lowering taxes/burdens of opening new local businesses
-last but probably one of the highest on my list would be to invest heavily in public education and the arts

What other items would you put on the list?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1947  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 3:43 PM
3yonce 3yonce is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
The Curbed article on the Clermont radio tower got me thinking:

What are people's thoughts on Atlanta incorporating more technology among its denser locations?

IMO, I'd love for Atlanta to push for not only better land use, but also more tech public services such as accessible free wi-fi. There's already free wi-fi in Piedmont Park and it would be nice to see it in places along the BeltLine, MARTA stations, bus stops (I realize there's a TON of work to improve our bus stations in general), and high pedestrian areas. And while we are at highly frequented bus stops, lets implement actual shelters and incorporate some real time route/transfer info. This would compliment other initiatives like the North Ave Smart Corridor and really separate Atlanta even further from other southern cities.

I'm trying to think of way of life items that would really make Atlanta even more enticing for people to live here and be more a destination location:

-publicly accessible wi-fi
-real time transit info and bus shelters at highly frequented bus stops and pedestrian locations (imagine if PCM had info about bus routes 102 and 2 arrival times to take you from Ponce de Leon to Midtown)
-better land use for developments and reduce parking minimums
-historical restorations where appropriate
-cross-town bicycle infrastructure
-increased bus headways
-begin construction on new transit lines (whether BRT, LRT, streetcars)
-legalize open container laws, supplemented with increased fees for littering. Crazy that Roswell has this but Atlanta does not.
-legalize recreational marijuana. Go all states rights, personal freedoms, and show the revenue studies of the new tax base to the state legislature and even they might get on board.
-more parks in general: pocket parks, basketball courts, soccer fields, etc.
-Not really up to the city, but encourage more in-town entertainment options such as rooftop restaurants/bars, brewpubs, places with bowling, bocce, table shuffleboard, board games, arcade games, etc. Maybe the city could play a role by lowering taxes/burdens of opening new local businesses
-last but probably one of the highest on my list would be to invest heavily in public education and the arts

What other items would you put on the list?
Here's a start: https://atlanta.curbed.com/2018/1/8/...mobile-payment
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1948  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 5:44 PM
ATLSkyPalaceOwner ATLSkyPalaceOwner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 254
I was walking along 8th from Peachtree to the new NCR building, and it really struck me what a fantastic impact Alta has made to the area. Along with the work-in-progress 880 building, this area has done almost a complete 180 from where it was 3 or 4 years ago.

Unfortunately, the block bound by 7th and 8th, and Cypress and W. Peachtree is still a bit of an eyesore.



Ecco is a gem, of course, and I know Daiquiri Factory is very busy on the weekends. I have no idea how that gold store stays in business, nor the dry cleaning in that ugly small strip mall. The Belmere is on the verge of being condemned (Google "The Belmere Midtown" if you want to read stories about the 3rd world nature of that place - rats, no water for days, no working heat, no electricity for days, etc.). Everything else is replaceable or won't be missed, in my opinion. Plus there's that ugly transmission tower.

My question is - how come we've never heard about this block being redeveloped? I'm sure there is a way to preserve Ecco - but is this just a case of too many different lots to consolidate? Is there ever any hope that this block can be redeveloped?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1949  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 5:59 PM
Street Advocate Street Advocate is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,303
Those cleaners get a ton of business, actually. I’m sure the parcels on yh left/west will sell once the price is right. Has to be around there already. IMO, plenty of room for 3 or 4 developments on that block. I’m hoping it is redeveloped incrementally by different developers to get a fair mix of new buildings. I really hate seeing one development take up the entire block- usually they waste a ton of space.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1950  
Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 12:42 AM
Libertarian's Avatar
Libertarian Libertarian is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 652
Quote:
I have no idea how that gold store stays in business
Most likely a money laundering operation.
__________________
The swamp will drain you
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:45 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.