HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 26, 2017, 9:11 PM
Stay in Yo Lane

Nice job, Juan!

There’s no question that 751 Spring, with its 3-4 architectural styles, is a bit awkward looking. To think that the original design called for something even busier makes me shrug.

"The power of imagination makes us infinite." -- John Muir

Old Posted Dec 26, 2017, 10:06 PM

^ Gotta second job well done Juan!! Thanks bro!

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 3:31 AM

Video Link

Thank you for the suggestion citywatch I'll do may best to work on some videos and include some info.

Last edited by cesar90; Jan 2, 2018 at 5:13 AM.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 5:31 AM

^ Your helpful up close video should be accompanied by some descriptive up close comments.

this reminds me of the time when the city of LA....certainly dtla.... wasn't pulling its fair share of the weight for major events held in other parts of the LA area...

Quote:
Rose Bowl travelblog: Downtown LA has come alive

by Berry Tramel
Published: December 29, 2017

We’re staying at the LA Live Courtyard in downtown Los Angeles. Downtown LA has undergone a renaissance since the early 2000s. Downtown suffered a downturn after World War II, as many buildings were razed to create parking spaces. Lots of people worked downtown, but few people stayed.

When I was here in 2002 for the Rose Bowl, we just drove by downtown a couple of times, with nothing much going on. Rose Bowl headquarters were out at Century Center, near Beverly Hills, and later they moved to Huntington Beach. But now the Rose Bowl headquarters downtown, at the LA Grand Hotel, which is about a mile from its auxiliary hotel, the Courtyard. A shuttle takes us back and forth, though Thursday morning we walked it. Which means I got to see a lot of downtown.

Approximately 58,000 people now live in LA’s Downtown District, more than double the number in 2000. We’re one block north of the Staples Center, which has ignited much of the downtown growth since its 1999 opening. Staples is home to the Lakers, Clippers and NHL Kings. It hosts about 250 events a year. On average, five times a week an event occurs at Staples that brings 18,000-20,000 people downtown.

A few years ago, LA Live Entertainment District opened. It is a 5.6 million square foot center that is adjacent to the 54-story J.W. Marriott Hotel (OU’s LA headquarters). LA Live consists of ballrooms, concert theaters, movie theaters, restaurants and museums (including the Grammy Museum).

Now, make no mistake. Downtown LA is not Midtown Manhattan or Chicago’s Magnificent Mile/Loop combination. But it’s a thriving, alive place. Kudos to Los Angeles for reversing the trend of everything cool in SoCal being somewhere besides Los Angeles.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 8:51 AM

It's so strange because 820 Olive looks like it wants to be half LEVEL and half Atlier.

In other news there was signs of ground testing at the shenzen site.

While the majority of the construction looks to be wrapping up we still have the Onni twins to rise, along with 1133, Perla, 5-OH, and many other possible approved projects. It's not over yet

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
It's not over yet
We are just getting started.

The Grand Avenue Project might finally rise in 2018. Perla, Fig+Pico and Co. too, many tower projects aren't even listed here.

2019 and 2020 will be even bigger. Crescent Heights is pushing its 800+ tower and is aiming for 2019.
The Figueroa Center and Olympia are huge projects too. Trical Construction Inc. has filed an application with the Department of City Planning for its 700+ tower.

There are even more projects around 700ft like 755 South Figueroa.

We are still waiting for the Century Plaza Towers in 2018.

L.A. is changing faster than ever.

Real DTLA Development Group

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
It's so strange because 820 Olive looks like it wants to be half LEVEL and half Atlier.

In other news there was signs of ground testing at the shenzen site.

While the majority of the construction looks to be wrapping up we still have the Onni twins to rise, along with 1133, Perla, 5-OH, and many other possible approved projects. It's not over yet
I forgot about Peria. How far along is that one?

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 4:28 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Perla is currently in site prep phase; shoring is done and excavation is underway, but expected to take a bit longer than usual due to some previous building foundations/basements getting in the way.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 7:29 PM

Anyone know if the Cambria hotel actually broke ground near LA Live? Pretty ugly building...but I suppose more hotel rooms the better. Thanks in advance!

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 8:21 PM
life is good

Speaking of Perla I snapped some shitty thru the fence footage yesterday. Here ya go (sorry the quality is so bad):

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 12:15 AM

Was in Microsoft Square last night for NYE and Oceanwide Plaza just loomed over. Very cool project.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 1:11 AM

Yea, it really does. Make the area feell more urban.

There's also an amazing view looking north from the LA Live Starbucks on Francsico street towards Metropolis.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 2:54 AM

Video Link

^ the background at 16 seconds into that vid, while 10 yrs ago....

Quote:
The Parking Lot that Will Not Go Away
By Ed Fuentes
May 21, 2008

DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES — New banners signs are beckoning commuters to return to the "temporary" 1,062-car portable parking structure built in 1969. Scheduled to be dismantled, now it’s a subtle reminder that the Grand Ave project is on hold. Los Angeles County’s Parking Lot 17, better known as the Tinker Toy Lot or the Erector Set, isn’t ready to be pushed out of town quite yet.

18 yrs ago, the biggest nye of modern times was dealt with by LA this way...

Video Link

jay leno at the time mocked LA's y2K celebration. Although I don't recall the sign at least having actual strobe lights on it & not just projected towards it from below.

Video Link

video mapping & virtual fireworks are less expensive, but they lose something in translation compared with the real thing.

cities throughout the nation & world are making it so more & more ppl are becoming increasingly jaded & spoiled....

Video Link

Last edited by citywatch; Jan 2, 2018 at 3:40 AM.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 4:00 AM

^ I wish they did some more interesting stuff like this with the Wilshire Grand lighting on a more regular basis.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 9:12 PM

Video Link

I'd love to see something like this for NYE celebrations in the new future.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 10:49 PM

Just spoke with one of the guys at 820 Olive, and (as of January 2), he says they have 3 decks left to go and then the roof. So, a February top out?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 1:34 AM

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 4:48 PM

^No need to taunt us with that rendering Those towers are probably at the top of my wishlist to break ground!

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 9:01 PM

Me too. Love em

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 3:31 AM
life is good

Aye I'm just readjusting to downtown after being in Europe for almost a month, but wow they really cleaning up 5th st. Almost no loitering at Pershing Sq metro (the one right at Pershing Sq) and I saw hella police there as well. Plus, the 7/11 at 5th and Broadway closed? The number of aggressive people on 5th st is way down. Is this a one time thing or a pattern?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations