HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #761  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 12:26 PM
drummer drummer is offline
德克萨斯人 y'all
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Asia by way of Texas
Posts: 2,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
It seems to me that Burnet is adjacent to the left border of the image while Burnet runs from left to right a block removed from and behind the perspective of the rendering. Ergo, the taller tower is removed from both thoroughfares by a block.
Yeah, that seems right. The taller one is directly south of the storage building that fronts Braker.
__________________
人无完人
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #762  
Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 11:46 AM
wwmiv wwmiv is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio
Posts: 3,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Sweet. And I guess it's just because of the angle, but Domain 10 looks like the tallest one there. Also, I didn't have the floor count for some of these. This is what I counted from those renderings:

Domain 9 - 256 feet - 17 floors
Domain 12 - 247 feet - 18 floors
Domain 11 - 236 feet - 16 floors
Domain 10 - 225 feet - 15 floors

Domain Tower - 181 feet - 11 floors
Domain 8 - 167 feet - 11 floors
In addition to those:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Here are some Broadmoor renderings I posted in the HQ2 thread from Brandywine's flipbook presentation to Amazon:

(rough guesstimates based on floor counts)

24 floors - 300'
20 floors - 250'
19 floors - 200'
18 floors - 200'
18 floors - 200'
16 floors - 200'
16 floors - 200'
16 floors - 200'
13 floors - 150'
12 floors - 150'
12 floors - 150'
10 floors - 150'
10 floors - 150'
9 floors - 100'

Plus one of the three towers at the Maravilla at the Domain at 11 floors (I can't recall the exact height, but 150'+ I think) and the proposed 14 and 23 floor towers at 2623 W. Braker Lane lend additional height.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #763  
Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 3:43 PM
427MM's Avatar
427MM 427MM is offline
Love Austin
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Austin
Posts: 810
And the realignment of the Red Line! Really stoked about this project--will be great for all of Austin (and let me get to the Domain wo a stinkin' automobile)
__________________
The City of Austin must reform it's outdated land development code.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #764  
Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 5:18 PM
Novacek Novacek is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by 427MM View Post
And the realignment of the Red Line! Really stoked about this project--will be great for all of Austin (and let me get to the Domain wo a stinkin' automobile)
What realignment of the red line? Do you mean the new station/station relocation?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #765  
Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 6:46 PM
freerover freerover is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
What realignment of the red line? Do you mean the new station/station relocation?
Yea, haven't heard anything about that. Any move like that would have to be privately funded. If wouldn't be hard getting to divert to divert the rail west to the south tip of Alterra Parkway but it's getting the route back eastward at the north end of the domain which would be really tough. I'm also not sure hard rail diesel trains are meant for the type of sharp urban movement that kind of re-route would require. I think that's why cities like using electric trains in city streets but I could easily be wrong about that.


That Brandywine plan is really nice. I think they are offering something similar for amazon in Philly. It's also just great to see the Domain grow like this. Hopefully Burnet can get a good amount of bond money to keep up with development.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #766  
Old Posted Dec 26, 2017, 10:50 AM
wwmiv wwmiv is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio
Posts: 3,590
http://www.hpitx.com/portfolio/detail/Braker-Land

I'd place this lot on the development watchlist. HPI Real Estate is developing Domain Tower, just down the road. This particular lot is zoned TOD Midway and is entitled up to 60 feet by right and up to 240' by development bonus. Given that we're seeing lots further away from the main action of the development in the area take the same advantages (the behind Discount Tire towers are also TOD Midway with the same height restrictions, but the floor count of that seems to point to taller IMO), this lot may be soon to come down the pipeline also. Especially if Kramer, Braker, and Burnet continue to be the corridors with urban development down them outside of the Domain proper, so this lot would make sense for a residential apartment tower (especially being so nearby the commuter rail stop). The Burnet pedestrian-oriented redesign cannot come soon enough.

Last edited by wwmiv; Dec 26, 2017 at 11:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #767  
Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 7:44 AM
Urbannizer's Avatar
Urbannizer Urbannizer is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SXSW
Posts: 7,634
http://www.broadmooraustin.com

Website includes video and flyer.
__________________
HAIF
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #768  
Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 8:22 AM
wwmiv wwmiv is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio
Posts: 3,590
Does anyone else notice that the video uses two completely different renderings of the whole project?

I'm also amused by their cover-up of the water retention pond with a grove of trees in the first clip (of the low density option).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #769  
Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 12:37 AM
freerover freerover is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 412
So, they would keep the existing 9 buildings and just building over all the parking lots?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
What realignment of the red line? Do you mean the new station/station relocation?
So, if they add the station then you'll have 2 stations within a .5 mile of one another which is a bit unusual for a commuter line. I guess they are more likely to just relocate the existing one unless the MLS stadium is built at the north Austin site. In all reality, you would need to move the Kramer station to Breaker if you wanted that MLS stadium to have commuter service and re-route the Breaker Bus so it stays on Breaker instead of it's current detour to Kramer in order to intersect with the Red line station. Even if there was space to put pedestrian walkways along the rail between Kramer and Breaker, it's sketchy as fuck and you would not want to be walking down that late at night. I guess people could walk around to get from Kramer to the stadium. It's a little more than .5 a mile.


Last edited by freerover; Dec 29, 2017 at 12:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #770  
Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 9:46 PM
freerover freerover is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
So, if they add the station then you'll have 2 stations within a .5 mile of one another which is a bit unusual for a commuter line. I guess they are more likely to just relocate the existing one unless the MLS stadium is built at the north Austin site. In all reality, you would need to move the Kramer station to Breaker if you wanted that MLS stadium to have commuter service and re-route the Breaker Bus so it stays on Breaker instead of it's current detour to Kramer in order to intersect with the Red line station. Even if there was space to put pedestrian walkways along the rail between Kramer and Breaker, it's sketchy as fuck and you would not want to be walking down that late at night. I guess people could walk around to get from Kramer to the stadium. It's a little more than .5 a mile.

Sort of found an answer to my question. There is already an official cap metro proposal to build a new red line stop at Breaker. None of the 4 proposed additional Red Line stations are in the current wave of consideration for construction. I'm assuming that opening a Breaker station would mean closing the Kramer station since it's just a block over. That would mean that the Breaker bus wouldn't have to detour to Kramer to intersect with the Red Line.

I would guess that both the new Breaker station and Broadmoore station would require private funding. For example Amazon could pay for the Broadmoor station and The Crew could pay for the Breaker station. The Howard station isn't too far away from the MLS site but there isn't enough room around the track to build pedestrian walkways so people would have to walk a decent amount to get to the soccer stadium. There are two huge new developments going in right there so maybe they could all pool money together to pay for a new stop.

The big catch here is that building a new station that would see very high usage at Broadmoor or a relocated Kramer station could mean more passing tracks and trains will be needed. The new passing tracks they are building now are just at 3 current stations for about 2 miles of total rail. There is a proposal to build 8 more miles of passing track.

The current track expansion and additional trains will reduce frequency of trains from 35 minutes to 15 minutes but that sounds like it will only help serve existing usage which is standing room only at rush hour. Any combination of adding the Broadmoor (Domain) and Hancock stations or relocating the Highland and Kramer stations could require the additional 8 miles of passing track to be constructed as well. That being said, I don't think it's likely they build the Hancock station unless a light rail line hits it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #771  
Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 12:14 AM
We vs us We vs us is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 976
Indeed signs lease for entirety of Domain Tower.

http://www.512tech.com/technology/ex...wGiHMkIDxA8OL/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #772  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 8:46 PM
Novacek Novacek is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
So, if they add the station then you'll have 2 stations within a .5 mile of one another which is a bit unusual for a commuter line.
CapMetro has always sort of treated the RedLine as a hybrid (wide spacing in the suburbs and closer spacing in the core), if for nothing else because they have no other good option (light rail was dead long before the 2000 vote).

They have similar close spacing between downtown and plaza saltillo, and crestview and highland.




Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
I guess they are more likely to just relocate the existing one unless the MLS stadium is built at the north Austin site.
Everything so far seems to indicate the Broadmoor station (if it happens) will be new, and Kramer station will stay there. Until/unless private interests pay for it to be relocated further south.

Especially if you consider construction staging, you're basically going to need to build a new one if you don't want to put Kramer out of commission for a couple years.



Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
In all reality, you would need to move the Kramer station to Breaker if you wanted that MLS stadium to have commuter service
not necessarily. The existing Kramer site is about a 1/2 direct walk from the McKalla site. Of course, closer is always better, but I don't think it's a requirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
Even if there was space to put pedestrian walkways along the rail between Kramer and Breaker,
There is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
it's sketchy as fuck and you would not want to be walking down that late at night.
Uh, no it's not. What's sketchy about walking down a lighted path with clear sight lines?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #773  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 10:00 PM
Novacek Novacek is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
None of the 4 proposed additional Red Line stations are in the current wave of consideration for construction.
Well, yes and no.

I agree it's sort of confusing. None of the 4 stations proposals was advanced as part of Project Connect 2.0.

And yet, the Broadmoor station is actually _further_ along than anything in project connect, as it's actually in CapMetro's budget.

I think what that basically means is that Broadmoor station will or won't happen based on purely on Brandywine. CapMetro isn't going to independently construct it. Relocating Kramer to south of Braker I assume is the same.


Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
The Howard station isn't too far away from the MLS site
What MLS site? Nothing that's been proposed is anywhere near Howard Lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
The big catch here is that building a new station that would see very high usage at Broadmoor or a relocated Kramer station could mean more passing tracks and trains will be needed. The new passing tracks they are building now are just at 3 current stations for about 2 miles of total rail. There is a proposal to build 8 more miles of passing track.
Do you have a source on that proposal? I haven't heard anything about any new intermediate proposals between the new sidings (paid for) and double tracking.

Also, bear in mind in that's 3 _additional_ stations getting passing tracks. Some (including Kramer) already had them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
The current track expansion and additional trains will reduce frequency of trains from 35 minutes to 15 minutes but that sounds like it will only help serve existing usage which is standing room only at rush hour. Any combination of adding the Broadmoor (Domain) and Hancock stations or relocating the Highland and Kramer stations could require the additional 8 miles of passing track to be constructed as well.
It seems likely that after getting down to 15 minute frequencies, the next step would be "two car" service at the peak of those 15 minutes frequencies (an extension of what they're doing this month). So two cars in quick succession, 15 minutes, another two cars, etc.

That's basically 4X their current (or prior to this month) capacity.

That might require a few more DMUs, but (potentially?) not any more track.

They also might look at actually coupled DMUs as the next step too (which probably requires station work, but again (might) not require additional track depending on the existing length of passing sidings.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #774  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 10:21 PM
lynmark lynmark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 6
Red Line Trail - The city of Austin is going to construct a trail along the Red Line that will connect Braker Lane and the Northern Walnut Creek Trail which is being funded by the 2016 Mobility Bond.

More information can be found at the city of Austin's web site here: http://www.austintexas.gov/redlinetrail

Of particular interest is the project schedule and the link to a meeting presentation that was held on 12/13/2017.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #775  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 8:00 PM
freerover freerover is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Everything so far seems to indicate the Broadmoor station (if it happens) will be new, and Kramer station will stay there. Until/unless private interests pay for it to be relocated further south.
yea, it was silly of me to think they would close the Kramer station if they were opening Broadmore although I think it's safe to assume that building the Breaker station implies closing the Kramer station.

There aren't really many indicators of anything. All we know is that Broadmoor will want a stop if they move forward with their development. I'm sure the Crew will want the proposed Breaker station to be built but I don't know if they would pay for it.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
not necessarily. The existing Kramer site is about a 1/2 direct walk from the McKalla site. Of course, closer is always better, but I don't think it's a requirement.

What's sketchy about walking down a lighted path with clear sight lines?
On one side is a building and the other is the loading dock of a big store. There is no where to run and not many people that are going to be naturally nearby.





Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
And yet, the Broadmoor station is actually _further_ along than anything in project connect, as it's actually in CapMetro's budget.

I think what that basically means is that Broadmoor station will or won't happen based on purely on Brandywine. CapMetro isn't going to independently construct it. Relocating Kramer to south of Braker I assume is the same.
The cost of construction is in their current budget? How could that be? It would cost a lot.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
What MLS site? Nothing that's been proposed is anywhere near Howard Lane.
I meant to say Kramer and not Howard. I'm talking about the McKayla site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Do you have a source on that proposal? I haven't heard anything about any new intermediate proposals between the new sidings (paid for) and double tracking.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
It seems likely that after getting down to 15 minute frequencies, the next step would be "two car" service at the peak of those 15 minutes frequencies (an extension of what they're doing this month). So two cars in quick succession, 15 minutes, another two cars, etc.

That's basically 4X their current (or prior to this month) capacity.

That might require a few more DMUs, but (potentially?) not any more track.

They also might look at actually coupled DMUs as the next step too (which probably requires station work, but again (might) not require additional track depending on the existing length of passing sidings.
I think they are doing the "two car" system because the downtown station is so far delayed that they have to. I don't think it'll ever be the operating preference and only potentially wastes capacity. I think you'll see a drive to increase frequency or likely maintain as they add more future stops.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #776  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 9:09 PM
Novacek Novacek is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
yea, it was silly of me to think they would close the Kramer station if they were opening Broadmore

Not silly. I made the statement above based on what I (swear I) heard at the meeting for the red line trail. Though now I go back and look at the CapMetro budget, and they call it a relocation.

I guess we still don't know (or it could still be going back and forth in planning). Regardless, I don't think it's necessarily too close based on spacing (precedent). But CapMetro may only want one of them to avoid the stop delay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
although I think it's safe to assume that building the Breaker station implies closing the Kramer station.
Agreed. I've seen that one always referred to as a relocation.



Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post

On one side is a building and the other is the loading dock of a big store. There is no where to run and not many people that are going to be naturally nearby.
as noted above, they are putting in a trail. It's already paid for, and will run all the way to Braker.





Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
The cost of construction is in their current budget? How could that be? It would cost a lot.
It's in the 2018 budget under the 5 year capital plan.

https://www.capmetro.org/uploadedFil...ved-Budget.pdf

Yeah, a lot. 12.5M through 2022.




Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
<passing sidings pic>
Thanks for that. I had missed that one, I know they had also studied full double tracking.


Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
I think they are doing the "two car" system because the downtown station is so far delayed that they have to. I don't think it'll ever be the operating preference and only potentially wastes capacity. I think you'll see a drive to increase frequency or likely maintain as they add more future stops.
Even with the bus system, where CapMetro has "infinite" "guideway" capacity, you'll still see them sometimes bunch buses at the peak of demand. Frequency throughout the day is great, but if a large number of people want to leave at exactly 5, and not wait until 5:10 every other day, it's nice to have space as well.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #777  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 9:18 PM
Novacek Novacek is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,406
As it happens, the rezoning is getting heard by the planning commission this week, and the council next month.

https://twitter.com/breathesgelatin/...04321519128576
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #778  
Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 6:06 PM
freerover freerover is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
As it happens, the rezoning is getting heard by the planning commission this week, and the council next month.

https://twitter.com/breathesgelatin/...04321519128576
Awesome news. I could see them trying to add a pedestrian bridge over Burnet at some point.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Not silly. I made the statement above based on what I (swear I) heard at the meeting for the red line trail. Though now I go back and look at the CapMetro budget, and they call it a relocation.

I guess we still don't know (or it could still be going back and forth in planning). Regardless, I don't think it's necessarily too close based on spacing (precedent). But CapMetro may only want one of them to avoid the stop delay.
If they relocate Kramer to BM then they would lose the transfer from the East-West Breaker Ln Bus. I have no idea how many people transfer but that is a major line so I would think they would want to preserve it.





Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post

as noted above, they are putting in a trail. It's already paid for, and will run all the way to Braker.
Good note. Still, it really seems like the density is going to be a block over on Breaker with the current residencies they are building as well as the proposed office/retail/apartment complexes. Plus, whatever the city decides to do with the McKayla lot. I'm not sure if they are interested in using it for city purposes or turn it over for private development.






Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
It's in the 2018 budget under the 5 year capital plan.

https://www.capmetro.org/uploadedFil...ved-Budget.pdf Yeah, a lot. 12.5M through 2022.
That's awesome.





Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Even with the bus system, where CapMetro has "infinite" "guideway" capacity, you'll still see them sometimes bunch buses at the peak of demand. Frequency throughout the day is great, but if a large number of people want to leave at exactly 5, and not wait until 5:10 every other day, it's nice to have space as well.
I just mean that this is only possible if they have more trains than they need to hit their frequency goals. That's the case now because the downtown station construction delay won't allow them to run at a higher frequency. Cap Metro would have to decide to buy more trains without the intention of increasing frequency which they might have to do. A fully developed Broadmore would create a lot of increased need however I'm guessing there is a lot of available capacity for morning northbound trains and evening southbound trains and I think that is where a lot of ridership increases would come from.


Do you know which portions of rail are using for freight other than the MoPac line? Kirk Watson wanted to get some legislation passed earlier this year that would allow them to make improvements to the rail that they want to use for the Green Line. I believe he said they are already making the improvements to help with freight needs and passing the legislation would allow them to use the same workers to make it suitable for passenger trains at the same time. While I have seen construction crews working on the rail, I don't remember the last time I saw a train on the portion of Track in Austin and I've been by there at night.

That being said, I don't know where a fright train traveling on the Red Line rail would go if it wasn't using the Green Line rail. It's just weird because I've never seen one there.


If anyone is curious, here is an article about the law they were trying to pass. Essentially, Austin is the only city in Texas that has mostly always has to have public votes for rail. That makes it difficult to put together a transit system piece by piece. I feel like in about 4 years people will drive down Riverside and Airport Blvd and say, "oh yea I see why they wanted to put rail here".

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/tran...pf758FfNcPj2J/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #779  
Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 6:43 PM
Novacek Novacek is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
Awesome news. I could see them trying to add a pedestrian bridge over Burnet at some point.
Trying to do pedestrian bridges is really hard. They take up a lot of space (especially to be handicapped compliant) and hurt the urban framework.
It's also seen as "giving up" and ceding priority to cars over pedestrians.

For instance, I believe the Airport Blvd corridor plan actually called for removing the one that's over Airport in east Austin.


What's probably preferable long term is to keep the pedestrian crossing at grade. However, have center-running transit on Burnet (either light rail or BRT) and have the pedestrian crossing be to-from an actual median station.
That way, you only have to cross half the lanes at once, only have to look one direction at once, there's a median refuge, etc.


Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
I just mean that this is only possible if they have more trains than they need to hit their frequency goals. That's the case now because the downtown station construction delay won't allow them to run at a higher frequency. Cap Metro would have to decide to buy more trains without the intention of increasing frequency which they might have to do.
That assumes that 15 minute frequency maxes out the usage of 10 trains. It may or may not (I don't know). There are (potentially) other factors that may limit CMs usage of the trains.

for instance, they may run 15 minute frequencies, even if 10 trains would allow (hypothetically) 13 minute frequencies to make scheduling easier to understand. Or to limit wear and tear (and maintenance requirements). Or to limit staffing requirements and fuel usage. Or simply because they calculate that it wouldn't increase ridership on a normal day (but potentially could for special events).

there's also the fact that they normally keep at least one spare vehicle, but I believe they may use it (go without a spare) for special events like SxSW.


Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
Do you know which portions of rail are using for freight other than the MoPac line? Kirk Watson wanted to get some legislation passed earlier this year that would allow them to make improvements to the rail that they want to use for the Green Line. I believe he said they are already making the improvements to help with freight needs and passing the legislation would allow them to use the same workers to make it suitable for passenger trains at the same time. While I have seen construction crews working on the rail, I don't remember the last time I saw a train on the portion of Track in Austin and I've been by there at night.

That being said, I don't know where a fright train traveling on the Red Line rail would go if it wasn't using the Green Line rail. It's just weird because I've never seen one there.
Freight rail uses the Red Line trail many/most nights. It's frequently really late at night or really early in the morning, though (due to the requirements of temporal separation from the passenger usage).

As for where it would go, yes I believe most is through traffic, but there's also sidings into the industrial users by Metric.

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.3846...7179937,17.75z


There's also one still used by the city itself (this one was mentioned as causing issues for the red line trail planning)

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.3946...7153654,17.75z
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #780  
Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 9:16 PM
freerover freerover is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Trying to do pedestrian bridges is really hard. They take up a lot of space (especially to be handicapped compliant) and hurt the urban framework.
It's also seen as "giving up" and ceding priority to cars over pedestrians. For instance, I believe the Airport Blvd corridor plan actually called for removing the one that's over Airport in east Austin. What's probably preferable long term is to keep the pedestrian crossing at grade. However, have center-running transit on Burnet (either light rail or BRT) and have the pedestrian crossing be to-from an actual median station.
That way, you only have to cross half the lanes at once, only have to look one direction at once, there's a median refuge, etc.
Good Point.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Freight rail uses the Red Line trail many/most nights. It's frequently really late at night or really early in the morning, though (due to the requirements of temporal separation from the passenger usage).

As for where it would go, yes I believe most is through traffic, but there's also sidings into the industrial users by Metric.

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.3846...7179937,17.75z


There's also one still used by the city itself (this one was mentioned as causing issues for the red line trail planning)

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.3946...7153654,17.75z
What I mean is, where do the freight trains go when coming down the red line? Do they just go down the line and unload materials somewhere inside East Austin? I think the only track it connects to is the green line track and I don't remember the last time I saw a train going down the green line track.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:48 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.