HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 7:25 PM

I seem to remember that a couple months ago someone on this forum had some insight on the Boyd building redevelopment.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 9:12 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
^for sure. It needs an upgrade. But if it’s not going to be office space and might not be residential, what other use are they considering?
bit coin?

sever space mini storage?

clinics again?

a loss on their books?

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 9:21 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

has anyone herd any grumblings laltly about the surface lot at donald and elice? there was a blip a while back been quiet since

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 12:00 AM
Spiritual

I asked today at a nearby business on the "HUDSON BUILDING" (414 Graham Ave.). The building was recently Sold and is just undergoing some renos.

Nothing more is known. I'd like to know what would be in the newly renovated 414 Graham Ave. though.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 6:31 PM
What could go wrong?

There is a rezoning application for 174 Provencher which is the old vacant Shell gas station lot on the south side. It is requesting for the construction of a mixed use building - residential and commercial. Hopefully it will work out because that is another MAJOR eyesore on a significant street in Winnipeg.

Never heard of Kai Properties Inc before though.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
There is a rezoning application for 174 Provencher which is the old vacant Shell gas station lot on the south side. It is requesting for the construction of a mixed use building - residential and commercial. Hopefully it will work out because that is another MAJOR eyesore on a significant street in Winnipeg.

It could possibly be the developer out here in Vancouver. They have done quite a few condos(Coal Harbour) Major developer.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 7:02 PM

The stuff about compression issues (mentioned a couple pages back) on the Harvard lots seems odd. Were they planning on building without piles? Virtually anything beyond smaller 1-2 storey buildings would require piles. So the poorly filled hole from old building just seems odd to me. You'd blow right through that layer of soil to bedrock. Maybe they would require excavations and regrading if they were only planning on doing slab on grade for the 1st floor with nothing underground (like Centrepoint).

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post

Looks like 41 residential units, two commercial units, four stories (50'), and no setback from the sidewalk. Exciting stuff!

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 7:04 PM

^Sounds nice! Lets not forget the height restrictions on Provencher. IIRC the south side had shorter building heights than the north side due to sunlight.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 7:12 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
The stuff about compression issues (mentioned a couple pages back) on the Harvard lots seems odd. Were they planning on building without piles? Virtually anything beyond smaller 1-2 storey buildings would require piles. So the poorly filled hole from old building just seems odd to me. You'd blow right through that layer of soil to bedrock. Maybe they would require excavations and regrading if they were only planning on doing slab on grade for the 1st floor with nothing underground (like Centrepoint).
They would likely have hoped for piles and not for caissons

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 7:17 PM

By piles I meant caissons. But that'd make more sense.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 7:35 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
Looks like 41 residential units, two commercial units, four stories (50'), and no setback from the sidewalk. Exciting stuff!
Quote:
^Sounds nice! Lets not forget the height restrictions on Provencher. IIRC the south side had shorter building heights than the north side due to sunlight.
At first blush that sounds fantastic but as we know the devil is in the details... hopefully it will be something decent. That site is just a huge yawning gap in what is otherwise a pleasant little urban streetscape so I'm grateful something might happen, but the unknown nature of the developer makes me a little nervous.

As to the height, 4 storeys is a perfectly reasonable, non character altering height... I can't imagine that would be the limit, though? Provencher is so broad that I would think you'd have to get up to 6 before shadows even start to become an issue?!

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 7:47 PM

It might go higher I can't remember. Either way, like you mentioned, it is a welcome development to the strip.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 8:18 PM

Quote:
It might go higher I can't remember. Either way, like you mentioned, it is a welcome development to the strip.
The height limit on the south side of the street is 60' and on the north side it's 80'. A wide street like Provencher is definitely suited to taller development, but it seems "existing character" usually rules the day when it comes to these kind of design restrictions.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 9:26 PM

Quote:
i thought height restrictions were modified last year on provencher? this is super exciting!

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 7:27 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

I had a chance to pass through the partially unveiled food area beneath 201 Portage. It looks really good now... not quite spectacular, but at least it's visibly of this decade.

For too long the underground parts of the skywalk were like a 1979 time capsule, but now at least 201 Portage and Lombard Place don't look totally outdated anymore.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 10:46 PM
Spiritual

^^^

Well, what do you know. I was there since renos. too today, around 12:30 pm. I wonder if we crossed paths but of course wouldn't recognize each other.

I like the increased lumens, but I don't like the decreased choice in food court companies.

I like the new flooring in the TD Bank part of the concourse. I guess it was time for a refresh (to some). I like the ca. 1991 granite style walls though. And the ceiling WAS leaking since 2001, so it badly needed work anyways.

The place is called Montecello's or something like that. Same chain as at 360 Portage Ave. (Manitoba Hydro Pl.). It was quite busy there this noon hour.

Also that HUGE HDTV screen I could do without. It was showing curling on TSN.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
^^^

Well, what do you know. I was there since renos. too today, around 12:30 pm. I wonder if we crossed paths but of course wouldn't recognize each other.

I like the increased lumens, but I don't like the decreased choice in food court companies.

I like the new flooring in the TD Bank part of the concourse. I guess it was time for a refresh (to some). I like the ca. 1991 granite style walls though. And the ceiling WAS leaking since 2001, so it badly needed work anyways.

The place is called Montecello's or something like that. Same chain as at 360 Portage Ave. (Manitoba Hydro Pl.). It was quite busy there this noon hour.

Also that HUGE HDTV screen I could do without. It was showing curling on TSN.
'
I belive the name is Mercatino Fresh Food Co. and not Montecello's . Different brand name as Marcello's in Lombard Place & Hydro bldg.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 5:50 PM

Is there any word on 825 tache?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Is there any word on 825 tache?
A few months ago they were advertising on Kijiji

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan