HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
This is like Rocky all over again.

Rocky XII.
I hope it is too. It would shut up all the naysayers!

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
This is like Rocky all over again.

Rocky XII.
Well Creed 2 is gonna be equivalent to Rocky VIII.
Then we have "Drago's Demise" as Rocky IX.
"Rocky's Funeral" as Rocky X.
"Rocky's Resurrection" as Rocky XI.
"Rocky's Run Up the Stairs at 100 years old to lure Amazon works like a charm So They Come here and Make Rocky CEO" as Rocky XII.
Sounds about right.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 11:24 PM

Which movie has Rocky as a harasser?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 12:50 AM

Quote:
I work out in Denver about 2 weeks a month. The people there are completely convinced that not only is it going there but that there is no other reasonable competition. It's super annoying.
What's the reasoning behind their thinking?
Not that Amazon is going to base their decision on 'reason' alone!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 3:25 AM
PhillyPholly

Maybe it's people in places like Denver who believe in their city, as opposed to certain Negadelphians. When it comes down to it, we're all guessing, so to say emphatically that it's not coming here is just boneheaded.

Last edited by SEFTA; Jan 4, 2018 at 3:42 AM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 8:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christof View Post
Which movie has Rocky as a harasser?
Rocky the 13th. It will be branded as horror.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 1:53 PM

As long as we're veering into off-topic territory like this, there was an article last week in the Washington Post showing how we've lost our Wendy's edge to DC.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisforreal View Post
As long as we're veering into off-topic territory like this, there was an article last week in the Washington Post showing how we've lost our Wendy's edge to DC.
ha.ha. sorry, can't do Wendy's anymore after having a smashburger in the area. Damn, they are good. Smashburger should expand in the city proper. They don't take up too much retail space so they could fit where all the new construction with ground floor retail is offered and available. I think they would be a hit.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 2:53 PM

My buddy lived a few blocks from that Wendy's in DC. It alone creates such a traffic mess every morning. They've added hundreds of apartments to the immediate area in the past few years

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
If you go by the requirements in the RFP, our chances are better than 97% of the other cities out there.

We're definitely a better / more logical choice than Pittsburgh.

Atlanta is the real contender.

Austin is where the Press wants HQ2 to go, because, Austin. And the Press. And why wouldn't their narrative and need for self-fulfillment supercede Amazon's own stated requirements.

For all intents and purposes, Austin is a slightly more urbanized version of Nashville.

Most Austin and Atlanta have mind-boggling bad traffic and almost zero rail infrastructure. Atlanta at least has some.

We'll see.
I agree I actually think we have a decent chance, but that was one of those situations where someone makes a pick based on odds and then acts like a genius when they are right.

"I told ya, Patriots beat the Browns omg I was so right I'm amazing!"

Anyways, if the Amazon headquarters selection were like this years NFL playoffs I would compare Philadelphia to a team like the Rams, potential dark horse winner.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
What's the reasoning behind their thinking?
Not that Amazon is going to base their decision on 'reason' alone!
People here in Denver think that Denver is the center of the universe.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
It is when you've moved from Topeka.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 10:49 PM

China-based pharma firm KPB Biosciences plans HQ move to Philly area

Quote:
A drug development company has raised $76 million from investors in China, the U.S. and Korea to move its headquarters to the Philadelphia area from Jinan, China, and bring treatments developed by China-based scientists through U.S. clinical testing to patients here.

The company, KBP Biosciences, founded in 2011 by veteran drug developer Dr. Zhen Hua Huang, also plans to announce Friday that it has hired Brian P. McVeigh, a former R&D portfolio manager at UK-based pharma giant GSK, where he started as a college intern, as KBP Biosciences’ new chief executive officer.

Though he’s done pharmaceutical deals across Europe and the U.S., McVeigh is so Philly-centric that he has attended four of the Big Five universities, earning his accounting degree from LaSalle, his MBA from Villanova, and taking professional classes at St. Joseph’s and the University of Pennsylvania.

“It’s my personal and professional mission to grow and elevate the biotech community in our region,” he told me. “I believe strongly in the quality of research coming out of our universities, and the incredible talent in our pharmaceutical workforce.” He recently stepped down from the board of Life Sciences Pennsylvania, formerly Pennsylvania BIO.
More: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...-20180104.html

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 11:28 PM

Quote:
I guess it might be ,if your universe is a couple hundred miles across.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
China-based pharma firm KPB Biosciences plans HQ move to Philly area

More: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...-20180104.html
This is good news. But the qualifier here is the word "area". And that's the difference between Philadelphia and other leading cities that are much more successful in attracting and keeping jobs within their borders. It goes back to those stats posted a few pages back. Yes, our region has a better job growth rate than the NY and Chicago metros but those cities are putting up office buildings like crazy. Much of our growth is in the burbs.

And Denver - have you looked at the map lately? Denver is hundreds of miles from several "B" cities. In it's own little way, it certainly is the center of something.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 6:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
This is good news. But the qualifier here is the word "area". And that's the difference between Philadelphia and other leading cities that are much more successful in attracting and keeping jobs within their borders. It goes back to those stats posted a few pages back. Yes, our region has a better job growth rate than the NY and Chicago metros but those cities are putting up office buildings like crazy. Much of our growth is in the burbs.

And Denver - have you looked at the map lately? Denver is hundreds of miles from several "B" cities. In it's own little way, it certainly is the center of something.
if the urban office development trend hasn't slowed already it probably will soon in high cost cities. I've heard many companies in higher cost reasons are looking hard at suburban locations for cost reasons- their only concern is still offering lifestyle younger people want. And if you look at DC you see tons of business related construction outside the city limits.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebuilder View Post
if the urban office development trend hasn't slowed already it probably will soon in high cost cities. I've heard many companies in higher cost reasons are looking hard at suburban locations for cost reasons- their only concern is still offering lifestyle younger people want. And if you look at DC you see tons of business related construction outside the city limits.
Suburban developers have reacted to this by developing mixed use-town centers with Office buildings in the mix. Live/Work/Play is in effect for the philly metro area. This of course doesn't have the same vibe as being in the more robust downtown areas and the access to numerous restaurants/parks in a defined neighborhood.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
It is when you've moved from Topeka.
That's funny. I was working on a project in Denver last year and my driver was a 25 year old woman from Topeka...and she acted like she had really made it when she moved to Denver for work a few years ago. "People don't leave Topeka."

Everything is relative.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
That's funny. I was working on a project in Denver last year and my driver was a 25 year old woman from Topeka...and she acted like she had really made it when she moved to Denver for work a few years ago. "People don't leave Topeka."

Everything is relative.

Ummm . I'm not sure a 25 year old driver from Topeka is grounds for " making it " anywhere . But before this turns into a pointless
discussion about whose hot and whose not , I've been up and down 25 everywhere from Fort Collins to Colorado Springs and liked
almost all of it ..... But then I can say the same about Seattle , Boston and a few other mid sized cities .... Conclusion , yes everything
is relative ...... Next ......

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 10:35 PM

Anyone have any idea how much space that company is taking and where? Great news they are moving here. Just hoping they aren't taking 1,500 SF in Concordville.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations