HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Hamilton does really need more lights. I absolutely love what light can do to a building. There was a picture somewhere of the hotel in Gore lit up with bottom lights and it looked amazing.

Yes! Our skyline is so boring in part due to the total lack of night lighting. It's easy and cheap these days with LED's

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
Yes! Our skyline is so boring in part due to the total lack of night lighting. It's easy and cheap these days with LED's
Totally agreed - a city comes alive at night.

Mind you it was NOT like this in the past - the entire downtown was lit up in the past, but they were afraid that king st was starting to look like a sleazy seedy vegas strip, with the strip joints and other questionable places popping up at the time.. which is why they banned the neon signs that jut out of the buildings.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 2:03 AM

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 7:48 PM

Wow, almost done! I see they had to restore almost ALL of the arches on the top except the one on the far right.. guess the others were too far gone..

can't WAIT to see the cornice they put on! That is the most exciting part for me.. that and to see the column detailing on the bottom of the building when that is done too

I am amazed they still worked in these frigid temperatures!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 11:53 PM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
Wow, almost done! I see they had to restore almost ALL of the arches on the top except the one on the far right.. guess the others were too far gone..

can't WAIT to see the cornice they put on! That is the most exciting part for me.. that and to see the column detailing on the bottom of the building when that is done too

I am amazed they still worked in these frigid temperatures!
none of the original arches on the original building remained on the left 2/3rd's of the building. same story as the mills china building on King. the facade elements were removed and replaced by an ugly metal thing for decades. I think the cornice will have to be almost entirely replicated from historical photos for that reason as well.

Thomas Building by Matt, on Flickr
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 2:32 AM

Yes I am aware of that. I am commenting that 2 of the 3 arches on the exposed 1/3 of the building on the top row were also replaced - that didn't happen on the 2nd and 3rd level.

Also from the architectural plans of what they intend to do here that you can see above I am not entirely convinced they are going to go all out on the cornice.. doesn't look as detailed as the original.. I hope they don't cop out.. the cornice can make or break an overall look. Originally the original cornice looked more like the buildings beside it to the left. Their proposal doesn't look very inspiring.. does it. I can't even tell if the jutouts evidenced in the original cornice design are evident in the new one - looks like just a generic almost baseboard crown molding look all the way across.

Last edited by Chronamut; Jan 8, 2018 at 3:24 AM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 6:50 AM

Honestly does it even matter if the cornice is historically accurate? Also not sure why you're even referencing that elevation drawing considering the final building has a bunch of differences.

Posting old nostalgic photos of buildings is great for reference, but your consistent posts about how the work being done now is different than the original is getting tired. Obviously this half-demolished facade that was kept in a storage unit for 10 years isn't going to look brand new.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 3:21 PM

If they only kept and restored the 7 arches on the right, I think this would look a lot better if they simply installed new ones to match the others.

I can’t read that banner..does the grand opening pertain to this building or something else?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 10:18 PM

This is a spectacular add to our skyline, hoping that their follow up project at King and Hughson gets as many accolades as this one will once it is complete.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 8:25 AM

Agreed^ I can't imagine it will take long for the units to lease up once construction wraps. The fact that this is an attractive building should make it easy.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
Honestly does it even matter if the cornice is historically accurate? Also not sure why you're even referencing that elevation drawing considering the final building has a bunch of differences.

Posting old nostalgic photos of buildings is great for reference, but your consistent posts about how the work being done now is different than the original is getting tired. Obviously this half-demolished facade that was kept in a storage unit for 10 years isn't going to look brand new.
I don't care if it's historically accurate (although it would be nice) - I just care that it looks detailed that's all. I would just hate to see a generic cornice put up that's all. I also don't have any other reference drawings to compare to so I'm using what I got. Also while the rest may have changed the facade in the drawing so far appears to be consistent with what has been put back up.

And I don't expect it to look new - just cleaned up a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnor View Post
If they only kept and restored the 7 arches on the right, I think this would look a lot better if they simply installed new ones to match the others.

I can’t read that banner..does the grand opening pertain to this building or something else?
It pertains to heaven's kitchen next door. Hence the arrow pointing to the left.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 2:03 PM

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
I mean.. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I just don't know how people can pay that. Residence in first year at Mac is about $875 a month, not including the mandatory meal plan for an extra $350ish a month. But, Most people move out to Westdale for $500 a month after first year, so this is only going to be rich kids with parents paying.

Which I suppose is good for downtown Hamilton? Anyone else have thoughts?

Interest in the future of Hamilton and the GTHA. Living in Burlington, hoping to move to the Hammer sooner rather than later. I understand the basic building blocks of a successful city. Hamilton is getting close.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 3:41 PM

I'm very far removed from the financial abilities of students and the costs of being a student - so I may have no idea what I'm talking about.

It seems like the units are pretty small - which I think is expected of student living situations... but it feels like some of the units are being priced as regular apartments for adults. Not sure what exactly makes this "student apartments" other than small spaces and the inclusion of a Library.

Last edited by Berklon; Jan 16, 2018 at 6:03 PM.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
I'm very far removed from the financial abilities of students and the costs of being a student - so I may have no idea what I'm talking about.

It seems like the units are pretty small - which I think is expected of student living situations... but it feels like some of the units are being price as regular apartments for adults. Not sure what exactly makes this "student apartments" other than small spaces and the inclusion of a Library.
For under 400sqft in Hamilton they should be $700 a month max. They're basically bachelors. The bedroom isn't even a separate room. With the location, it makes more sense to have two bedrooms and no living room. You want to watch TV do it in your room or go to the common rooms or downstairs to the downtown.

Interest in the future of Hamilton and the GTHA. Living in Burlington, hoping to move to the Hammer sooner rather than later. I understand the basic building blocks of a successful city. Hamilton is getting close.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 8:15 PM

I have hard time seeing this being rented as you probably could rent a room in a house in westdale for 500-600 and pay for a gym membership if you need one. Still cheaper

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 12:13 AM
Concerned Citizen

These people must be living in some sort of altered universe. $1125 for 355sf. I am sure students can get better deals than that in this city. It looks to me like they have set themselves up for failure.

My friends daughter rents a house with 3 other people 2 blocks from the University of Ottawa and it only costs them $1800 per month utilities included and from what I have been told it's an updated victorian.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 12:46 AM

But don't these prices simply reflect the economic model of university education?

Just like tuition, there's likely an assumption that these costs will be subsidised by student loans. If that's the expectation then it changes the metric completely.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
But don't these prices simply reflect the economic model of university education?

Just like tuition, there's likely an assumption that these costs will be subsidised by student loans. If that's the expectation then it changes the metric completely.
They shouldn't be assuming anything. They need to study the current market for all aspects of student housing, and after taking into consideration how they compare with other options in what's being offered - they can price accordingly.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 4:45 AM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post

The economic model for the typical student is to cheap out on everything because they have no say over tuition costs.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton