HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #881  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 3:34 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is online now
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 51,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
Whoa....Oilers seriously.
It was a great game until the 5min major. Hell, if Puljujarvi hadn't missed that open net 2mins before, it would have been 1-1 and we had the momentum. Shows how much can change from a play or 2.

We collapsed and didn't recover, but prior to that we were playing the best road team with a goalie who owns us very well.

...that said, all of this 'it starts' tonight talk by the boys sure didn't work.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #882  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 3:37 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is online now
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 51,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Dirty Maroon
I dunno. Having watched all of the angles, I believe he was trying to take both men out to allow the other Oiler to somehow get the puck back and go around in the corner. I have had a similar hit to this where a guy 6'4" hit me 5'11" as I turned and his shoulder hit my head. Was it intentional, don't think so. It was a risky play though, Maroon should have let up.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #883  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 7:21 PM
Chinook Arch's Avatar
Chinook Arch Chinook Arch is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
It was a great game until the 5min major. Hell, if Puljujarvi hadn't missed that open net 2mins before, it would have been 1-1 and we had the momentum. Shows how much can change from a play or 2.

We collapsed and didn't recover, but prior to that we were playing the best road team with a goalie who owns us very well.

...that said, all of this 'it starts' tonight talk by the boys sure didn't work.
Or a win or two against divisional opponents. If the Flames had have beaten Anaheim and San Jose (2 games) in those recent one-goal games they would be 22-13, and in the thick of things. Amazingly tight league these days.

I think the Oilers might be done for the season. They lost two games in a row to two good teams, but there are an awful lot of teams ahead that they have to leapfrog. They have some talent and can maybe make a run, but it's such an uphill battle now. Vancouver is most likely done, they are too far back now, and they don't have the talent the Oilers do.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #884  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 10:41 PM
The Chemist's Avatar
The Chemist The Chemist is offline
恭喜发财!
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: 中国上海/Shanghai
Posts: 8,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Corrected.
I guess I must have just been dreaming all those cocky Oilers fans I saw online over the summer.
__________________
"Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature." - Michael Faraday (1791-1867)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #885  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 10:50 PM
240glt's Avatar
240glt 240glt is offline
HVAC guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: EDM ->->-> Okanagan
Posts: 10,385
^ LOL.

Mr. Ian was one of the worst offenders.

Certain local media personalities (David Staples) made some pretty grand pronunciations last year, but it was by & large the fans that sold themselves on the idea that the Oilers were going to be contenders this year.

Reality's a bitch
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #886  
Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 4:35 AM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is online now
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 51,267
I certainly thought that they would make the playoffs, maybe top 4, but not the cup as MANY professional hockey journalists and prediction folk said.

...in other news the Oilers acquire Montoya from MTL.


Buh bye LB.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #887  
Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 4:52 AM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is online now
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 51,267
That said, after this important win... WE WANT THE CUP!
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #888  
Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 5:14 AM
logan5's Avatar
logan5 logan5 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mt.Pleasant
Posts: 3,936
WE WANT DA LIN!

Happy the Oilers won, and Habs win too! When Horvat gets back it will be hard to maintain bottom 4. Maybe bottom 6 and a bit of luck...

Meanwhile, Pettersson will get a chance to show the country what he's made of as he and Team Sweden face Canada in the WJC final.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #889  
Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 6:07 PM
BlaineN BlaineN is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
That said, after this important win... WE WANT THE CUP!
A helpful win for the Oilers but other teams (Calgary, Minnesota, Dallas, Colorado) also picked up 2 points, so the Oilers only moved another inch towards their coffin.

In my estimation teams will need approximately 44 wins just to make a WC wild card spot this year. With Edmonton having 41 games left, and only 18 wins, they will need to go something like 26-11-5 for the rest of the season just to have a shot at a wild card spot. Highly unlikely, as they just aren't as good a team as many thought.
Last year they had a good season, but they also had lots of bounces..they seemed to have everything go their way, and they aren't getting that this year. They were also running on emotion...winning games for the first time in over a decade. Next year they'll probably be better, but will it be enough to make the playoffs? Hard to say.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #890  
Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 7:12 PM
topdog topdog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 248
Mr Ian overzealously pumps anything attached to the word Edmonton lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
^ LOL.

Mr. Ian was one of the worst offenders.

Certain local media personalities (David Staples) made some pretty grand pronunciations last year, but it was by & large the fans that sold themselves on the idea that the Oilers were going to be contenders this year.

Reality's a bitch
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #891  
Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 7:58 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is online now
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 51,267
^and also one of the biggest critics of it, even if you don't see that as often in text.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #892  
Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 2:19 AM
Deepstar's Avatar
Deepstar Deepstar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 6,103
Excellent way to describe it
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineN View Post
A helpful win for the Oilers but other teams (Calgary, Minnesota, Dallas, Colorado) also picked up 2 points, so the Oilers only moved another inch towards their coffin.

In my estimation teams will need approximately 44 wins just to make a WC wild card spot this year. With Edmonton having 41 games left, and only 18 wins, they will need to go something like 26-11-5 for the rest of the season just to have a shot at a wild card spot. Highly unlikely, as they just aren't as good a team as many thought.
Last year they had a good season, but they also had lots of bounces..they seemed to have everything go their way, and they aren't getting that this year. They were also running on emotion...winning games for the first time in over a decade. Next year they'll probably be better, but will it be enough to make the playoffs? Hard to say.
__________________
City Centre Webcam
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #893  
Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 11:54 PM
Denscity Denscity is offline
Suburbs Suck
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Castlegar BC
Posts: 5,629
Flames coach loses it!
__________________
Daily 1 hour flights from YCG to YVR & YYC on ACX
British Columbia is named after the Columbia River, a 4 minute walk from my house
Exactly halfway between Vancouver and Calgary
castlegar.ca
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #894  
Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 12:28 AM
Denscity Denscity is offline
Suburbs Suck
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Castlegar BC
Posts: 5,629
Our best defenceman gets injured a third time this year haha!? All the teams injuries are getting rediculous now.
__________________
Daily 1 hour flights from YCG to YVR & YYC on ACX
British Columbia is named after the Columbia River, a 4 minute walk from my house
Exactly halfway between Vancouver and Calgary
castlegar.ca
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #895  
Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 1:07 AM
BlaineN BlaineN is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 175
Oilers lose again, and badly...in their last three losses they have been outscored 15-1. Is there anyone out there who thinks they aren't done for the year?

On the downside, it was the Stars win, and that's not good for the Flames.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #896  
Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 1:39 AM
Denscity Denscity is offline
Suburbs Suck
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Castlegar BC
Posts: 5,629
^^^ Win-win
__________________
Daily 1 hour flights from YCG to YVR & YYC on ACX
British Columbia is named after the Columbia River, a 4 minute walk from my house
Exactly halfway between Vancouver and Calgary
castlegar.ca
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #897  
Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 2:06 AM
Denscity Denscity is offline
Suburbs Suck
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Castlegar BC
Posts: 5,629
Jagr already wants to leave Calgary??
__________________
Daily 1 hour flights from YCG to YVR & YYC on ACX
British Columbia is named after the Columbia River, a 4 minute walk from my house
Exactly halfway between Vancouver and Calgary
castlegar.ca
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #898  
Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 2:56 AM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is online now
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 51,267
Edmonton has no chemistry, no plays and little ability to get high percentage chances. What gives.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Last edited by BlaineN; Jan 7, 2018 at 8:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #899  
Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 8:01 AM
Xelebes's Avatar
Xelebes Xelebes is offline
Sawmill Billowtoker
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Rockin' in Edmonton
Posts: 12,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineN View Post
Oilers lose again, and badly...in their last three losses they have been outscored 15-1. Is there anyone out there who thinks they aren't done for the year?

On the downside, it was the Stars win, and that's not good for the Flames.
16-2 including the win.
__________________
The Colour Green
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #900  
Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 8:07 AM
BlaineN BlaineN is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Edmonton has no chemistry, no plays and little ability to get high percentage chances. What gives.
They remind me a lot of the Avalanche a few years back. Last season an exciting run for a young team that got a lot of bounces and everything seeming to go their way, and they rode the momentum. This year has been more of a reality check.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:57 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.