HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 9:18 AM

The design is interesting but it's still just more blue glass.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
In no way is this "GARBAGE". The saved office portion needs to be reworked however. I like it a lot. But hell what do I know? I am just a simple "FANBOY".
Yes the office portion needs to be at least reclad, to better integrate with the upper portion.

It does not necessarily need to be clad in the same style as the residential. Something complementary would be sufficient.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 2:18 PM
sick transit, gloria

Wow that is hands down one of the worst proposals I've seen in a while. Complete and utter garbage. The bottom is awful but the top portion is pretty uninspired as well.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 3:28 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
In no way is this "GARBAGE". The saved office portion needs to be reworked however. I like it a lot. But hell what do I know? I am just a simple "FANBOY".
You and the Hulk aren't fanboy because you like the tower. You are fanboys because you can't accept that others don't. It's all so ironically funny. You're being the exact person you're accusing me of.

Last edited by Ramako; Jan 3, 2018 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Deleted personal insult

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 4:08 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
ROTHFLMAO @ ArtisREIT.
Honest question here, and I tried looking back for context. Why are you laughing at Artis REIT?
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 6:08 PM
I am the law!

No problem. I will gladly confirm the only possible answer for which mentioning Artis makes sense. 415 Yonge is their development. We now know who the architect is since that post so,

ROTHFLMAO @ Kirshenblatt & Korman

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 6:10 PM
What could go wrong?

Ahhh, no worries. I thought you were referring to their Winnipeg project. Thanks
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 6:18 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by canarob View Post

This is certainly...something. A reclad of the original building is needed here.
Is there some heritage status to that older building or something? It looks like a generic mid century office tower. This project would be nice if it weren't clamped over top of the old building like that. It looks like it is trying to eat it. Not a fan. Also, is it just me or is the new portion a rip off of DC tower in Vienna?

https://clockzillakingoflaval.tumblr.com

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 6:34 PM
What could go wrong?

The DC Tower in Vienna is the building I was thinking of...thanks. That eastern edge seems like it is a copy.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 8:08 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Cheeseball architecture. And the way it straddles the existing mid-rise tower looks ridiculous.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 8:54 PM

It's even more awkward than the 2005 1 bloor east proposal.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 11:09 PM
Insertoronto

The architecture of the addition itself isn't not horrible, provided that it is curtianwall. It is the way it interacts with and completely ignores its lower 19 floors that makes it so hilariously bad.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Agreed. It all comes down to the blending of the two, which needs to be redesigned.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
The design is interesting but it's still just more blue glass.
yeah they should use black glass and those lines should be golden.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uzi View Post
yeah they should use black glass and those lines should be golden.
ha ha, well at least it would look different to most of the other recent builds.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 5:11 PM
I am the law!

Black still blends in with the blue/greens. There are a number of recently built with charcoal tinted glass. Naw, a bright violet with gold stripes or orange with blue stripes would be something different like the shifting glass planes and the not a box theme.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Black still blends in with the blue/greens. .
Have you seen Backstage next to L Tower? From the Gardiner it stands out very much so due to the black cladding. Compare that to collection around Ice and Maple Leaf Square where the multiple blue/green towers merged almost into one.

What would make this really stand out would be a different colour each floor. Heck they should go for a rainbow effect. Start of red on the first floor, then orange followed by yellow all the way through to violet and then repeat until you get to the top. It would be very in keeping with Toronto's diverse culture.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 6:23 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNest View Post
Have you seen Backstage next to L Tower? From the Gardiner it stands out very much so due to the black cladding. Compare that to collection around Ice and Maple Leaf Square where the multiple blue/green towers merged almost into one.

What would make this really stand out would be a different colour each floor. Heck they should go for a rainbow effect. Start of red on the first floor, then orange followed by yellow all the way through to violet and then repeat until you get to the top. It would be very in keeping with Toronto's diverse culture.

You monster!!!

https://clockzillakingoflaval.tumblr.com

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 7:35 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNest View Post

I've seen Backstage. It's surounded by a variety of cladding types and colours. My guess it's the space invaders pattern has more to do with it standing out than the dark cladding. Southcore, the development, is very dark and, by your own admission, it blends in with the blue/greens of Southcore, the neighbourhood, as if it was all one building.

That's an awesome idea. If every I have more money than I could spend in a lifetime I'll do just that. Buy out some tower in the homogeneous railway lands and just go to town with colours. I'll be hero of urbantoronto!

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post

You monster!!!
Oh go on, you know it would a sight to see. People would flock to see the rainbow tower!
If only I had the photoshop skills to create this...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada