HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

View Poll Results: Would you vote for a ETS Rapid Transit masterplan scheme?
Yes, I'd vote for more BRT/LRT 260 82.02%
No, what we have is fine. 34 10.73%
I dunno, maybe, yes, no, whatever. 23 7.26%
Voters: 317. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Dec 17, 2017, 1:08 AM
Made in Edmonton

Re: Saville Centre......

Thank gawd it's tucked away. The interior is functional and serves the intended purpose.

But f--k jack! The exterior is a damn monstrosity.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2017, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemike View Post
It's not all of the city's bureaucracy, though.
New Rec Centres, park pavilions and even utility buildings have not been Crap.
I would strongly disagree with this.

The building themselves may be nice but whoever is responsible for the layouts and landscaping as well as connections to roads and services for these rec centres should be shot into space.

As an example look at the terwillegar Rec Center. How is it possible for a person to orient a rec Center, transit Center, high school and multiple elementary and junior high schools on a empty piece of land and have each as far away from each other as physically possible. What possible reason does it serve to make people taking transit to that area walk for ten mins (in a winter city) to get to the red Center or one of the schools? Then we wonder why our transit sucks and ridership rates are so low the system can’t even come close to paying for itself.

Something so basic and the same mistakes always happen. Add in all that useless empty space that the city has to pay to keep mowed and maintained and I don’t know what the designers were smoking.
"On the surface, the Parasite expects the doctor to heal them for free, the farmer to feed them out of charity. How little they differ from the pervert who prowls the streets, looking for a victim he can ravish for his grotesque amusement."

Old Posted Dec 17, 2017, 5:57 PM
GEOTUS - MFWW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintzilla View Post
I would strongly disagree with this.

The building themselves may be nice but whoever is responsible for the layouts and landscaping as well as connections to roads and services for these rec centres should be shot into space.

As an example look at the terwillegar Rec Center. How is it possible for a person to orient a rec Center, transit Center, high school and multiple elementary and junior high schools on a empty piece of land and have each as far away from each other as physically possible. What possible reason does it serve to make people taking transit to that area walk for ten mins (in a winter city) to get to the red Center or one of the schools? Then we wonder why our transit sucks and ridership rates are so low the system can’t even come close to paying for itself.

Something so basic and the same mistakes always happen. Add in all that useless empty space that the city has to pay to keep mowed and maintained and I don’t know what the designers were smoking.
Opium?

OPM...

Other
Peoples
Money

but really.. the kind of consistent incompetence we see is indicative of a culture which oddly acts like it has no skin in the game, but more importantly, knows there will be little to no consequence for fucking up

oops, oh well.. we can fix it later.. there's always more taxpayer money right?

Old Posted Dec 17, 2017, 6:25 PM

The real issue is project planners don't value high quality public transit in this city. If they did, transit projects would be much higher priority and quality.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2017, 6:54 PM
GEOTUS - MFWW

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam-machiavelli View Post
The real issue is project planners don't value high quality public transit in this city. If they did, transit projects would be much higher priority and quality.
you'll have to explain this further.. are project planers the ones who vote against LRT grade separation because it's too expensive?

are they the ones who canceled large scale transportation projects only to replace them with nothing?

no matter how many departmental scapegoats get thrown under the bus, Edmonton's transportation problem is ultimately a council problem

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 5:44 PM
Community Guy

Maybe I missed this, but here is the vid from CP-Heritage Valley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP_QGJ_3spE

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 5:49 PM
Made in Edmonton

Haven't seen this either. I like the fact it goes under 23 Ave.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Maybe I missed this, but here is the vid from CP-Heritage Valley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP_QGJ_3spE
There's got to be higher priorities than that extension across the Henday at this within the next 10-20 years. And I hope nobody starts the "b-b-b-b-b-but the airport" discussion again. Edmonton's airport has nowhere the level of usage to justify/support the cost of LRT extension to there and back. Shuttle buses are far more efficient and practical for the foreseeable future.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 7:48 PM
Community Guy

Secure the ROW.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 5:10 PM
Made in Edmonton

'Rathole,' tunnel or skyway? Council set to debate tricky west LRT options

City officials are finalizing plans for the west LRT line and struggling with how to avoid snarling traffic at 149 Street.

One option could make a new “rathole” — sending north-south traffic under an LRT track at grade.

Another fix — putting the track on stilts as it follows Stony Plain Road — could force officials to expropriate local businesses and create an unfriendly concrete monolith for an eight-block stretch of the commercial district.

After a full design review for the 14-km west leg of the Valley Line LRT, city officials are poised to send three options to council. The third and most expensive option is tunnelling along Stony Plain Road.

I say Skyway......To me this is the sweet spot for this project. Tunneling to expensive. And leaving it at grade is Madness.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...st-lrt-options

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
There's got to be higher priorities than that extension across the Henday at this within the next 10-20 years. And I hope nobody starts the "b-b-b-b-b-but the airport" discussion again. Edmonton's airport has nowhere the level of usage to justify/support the cost of LRT extension to there and back. Shuttle buses are far more efficient and practical for the foreseeable future.
As Ian mentioned, it's about securing the ROW, but also construction of the extension roughly coinciding with construction of the new hospital which will be located (as far as I can tell) due west of the terminus of the line, on the other side of 127 St.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 6:21 PM

^Reconsider 87ave.

Elevate on 87ave from west of 178 all the way to 142, an at-grade station near 142 and then a shallow trench/cut and cover down into the valley. There would be next to no impact on traffic or from traffic, it would be the fastest option for the most users.

And just improve bus transit for the near west end. 87 would be better for almost everyone living south of SPR.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 10:47 PM

Yah why the hell does the train have to go down already crammed stoney plain. Go down 87 all the way to 142nd, 142 is a way better option to go up.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 11:34 PM
Community Guy

Extensive consultation and work was done multiple years ago now to determine all of this. I find it incredibly frustrating that we are opening this up again UNLESS there is clear error or misjudgement here.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 11:42 PM

I know the consultation was done years ago, the decision made was still wrong IMO. I also recall not being the only one thinking the decision was made to favor and not impact the 'higher valued' properties by 142nd.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 11:58 PM
Community Guy

It seems people want to scrap everything and go back to the drawing board...where was everyone who is upset now, then?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Extensive consultation and work was done multiple years ago now to determine all of this. I find it incredibly frustrating that we are opening this up again UNLESS there is clear error or misjudgement here.
There is a clear error and misjudgement in any rapid transit plan that makes redevelopment potential a larger weighted criteria than providing rapid transit.

There is a clear error and misjudgement in any rapid transit in a plan where its a core assumption that people love being right next to LRT tracks as long as the street furniture is nice.

Or one where the increased costs (especially maintenance in a heavy freeze-thaw climate) of in-street tracks wasn't even considered, or where traffic impacts were dismissed out of hand.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 1:51 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
It seems people want to scrap everything and go back to the drawing board...where was everyone who is upset now, then?
Trying to get ourselves heard. Look back in this thread and we were loudly advocating the 87th Ave route years ago. We expressed our frustrations when Mandel decided to go with the Stony Plain Road route. It's in this thread. You can look.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 5:44 AM
Community Guy

I recall it well.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 8:44 AM

The 6 houses needed for the 87 Avenue Bridge to Windsor Park vs. well... what is the current count of expropriated properties or potential budget bumps again? ;-)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton