HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Is this really the debate we're going to have right now? Every time I think this thread is turning a corner we find something else to start a pointless debate over.
Well what would you like to talk about? How about instead of complaining about the current conversation why don't you throw in a new topic to discuss.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 1:23 AM

Anyone take any pictures of the developments around town recently?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 10:09 AM

Good question. Well, Isaac's right hand man,(Mike Fife) definitely has. There is a lot going on in the way of construction, just not of the skyscraper variety. We all know the various reasons for that, and a few of us have hashed them over ad nauseum. Let's try to be patient through 2018, and see if this is the year when the out of town developers finally begin to materialize, and put their money where their mouth is. I'll continue to post some of Mike Fife's outstanding recent past shots from the many SLC residential/commercial projects, this after Isaac has published them and their post has been out for a couple or more months, I think Isaac and Mike won't mind if we have a reminder of their much appreciated work. If for no other reason, it's nice to have those beautiful pics for development geeks like most of us who appreciate all new development.

Here's one of the more recently announced projects that has a better than average chance of materializing over this next year. Keeping my fingers crossed.

On a side note, There are a handfull of these style of towers, which have gone up in the past one to two years here in Central and Downtown L.A. I pass them regularly on my cardio walks. They are quite beautiful, as long as the podium parking screen and ground floor engagement is designed attractively. Like some of you, I'm not quite sure yet whether the parking screen is ideal. However, I do think that the vertical height of the screen is a good proportion. Its vertical footage is narrow enough as to not overwhelm the street floor or the tower itself. Just my opinion, but I really like the street level and the tower itself. I plan on asking the Held's if they would consider going a little taller...

Downtown Update - California Developers Planning New Downtown Tower

Isaac Riddle Reports - Full Article @ http://www.buildingsaltlake.com/cali...owntown-tower/

According to Robert Held, the president and chief executive officer of Held Properties, the developers hope to
start construction next year (2018) on a 27 story mixed-use building currently referred to as the 370 Millennium Tower...

...While the building’s design and specific floor plans are still being finalized, the proposed uses are already determined.
The 370 Millennium Tower will include a mix of commercial office space, retail space, a hotel and residential condominiums...

Conceptual rendering of the first few floors of the proposed 370 Millennium Tower. The developers are still working on the building's final design. Image courtesy Held Properties.

http://lccpropertiesgroup.com Conceptual rendering of the proposed 370 Millennium Tower. The developers are still working on the building’s final design. Image courtesy Held Properties.

Conceptual rendering of the amenity deck of the proposed 370 Millennial Tower. Image courtesy Held Properties.

http://lccpropertiesgroup.com

Last edited by delts145; Jan 6, 2018 at 11:29 AM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 10:30 AM

Another one of the many major proposed projects. This one is moving forward, albeit slowly. Seems the major question here is what will be the final itineration. Will we get something unique and charming along 600 S., as illustrated in the earlier rendering, or something that wreaks of a faux attempt.

Downtown Adj. - Historic Trolley Square Update

Aerial rendering of the most recent development updates concluded at Trolley Square, which includes the addition of a major Whole Foods

As seen in this early rendering, Trolley Square owner/developer is hoping to mimic the design of late 19th Century area structures that once surrounded the Trolley Square district.

Isaac Riddle Reports - Full Article @
https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/hlc...al-city-homes/

...The developers hope to start construction spring 2018 on Building B, a 100-room boutique hotel with three-floors of residential that would replace the two homes slated for demolition and the relocated home on 600 South.

Building B is one of six proposed buildings that make up the Trolley Square project. The building along with Buildings A will be the most prominent and will front 600 South directly south of Trolley Square. Both buildings will be five-stories tall. Building A will be all residential.

The building that will front 700 East is referred to as Building C and will be four-stories tall and all residential. Buildings A, B and C will be built up to the property line on 600 South and 700 East respectively.

Buildings D and E will be midblock and accessed from an internal street connecting 600 South to 700 East. Both buildings will be five-stories tall and all residential. The buildings will front a mid-block private street and Ely Place, a midblock street that connects to 700 East. Building three floors of residential units above two floors of parking. Both buildings will step back 10 feet at the third floor to reduce the scale of the building. The buildings will also have setbacks from the property line to reduce the impact to adjacent properties.

The sixth building, Building F will not abut any of the other buildings. Building F is proposed for the 0.27-acre parcel at the southeast corner of the 600 S and 600 East intersection. Building F will be a three-story apartment building with two floors of parking and two floors of residential...

A preliminary aerial rendering of the proposed massing and arrangements of the Trolley Square mixed-use development looking north towards Trolley Square. Image courtesy Salt Lake City planning documents...

Of course, there's always the ongoing updates of the multi-billion dollar make-over of one of North America's most conveniently located International Airports. This is one of those major projects that like CCC is moving along at a very brisk pace. Loved that article highlight by the New York Times, posted recently

Latest Updates - Salt Lake City Int. Airport

November 28th by Sight-Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sight-Seer View Post
I work just south of the airport and I like to occasionally swing by and check on the progress. Today I noticed they're already building the frames for the glass in the big north window.

Pic By Sight-Seer

Rendering, SLC Int. Airport

November 27th - December 2nd by Jubguy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post

• Continued work to enclose South Concourse-West with exterior sheathing installation
  • Began interior framing of the Central Utility Plant; roofing to begin next week
  • Completed concrete pour for south end of the parking garage

Looking north from top of crane

https://www.slcairport.com/assets/cm...p-of-crane.jpg (full size)

Terminal construction progress

https://www.slcairport.com/assets/cm...nstruction.jpg (full size)

Sunrise before the storm on Nov 27

https://www.slcairport.com/assets/cm...ov-27-2017.jpg (full size)

Last edited by delts145; Jan 6, 2018 at 12:19 PM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 10:45 AM

Downtown Adj. - December 13th - Salt Lake City Int. Airport Updates Contd...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post

I'm too lazy to rehost this many photos. They will appear normally if you zoom out at 40%, sorry for the inconvenience

December 13, 2017

• Began baggage system hanger installation
  • Continued work on enclosing the South Concourse-West, including first glass panel install
  • Started vertical work on the west tunnel, which will tie the South Concourse-West to the North Concourse-West

Photo Update

South Concourse - West steel

South Concourse - West enclosure

Terminal plaza

West tunnel tie in (this is not the central tunnel that
terminates in the plazas on each end, but a tunnel in the
middle of SCW that will be the only initial tunnel as the
initial NCW does not extend all the way to where it meets
with the central tunnel)

Central utility plant

Here is a link to the Dec 13 2017 airport advisory board agendas
& minutes (pdf):

https://www.slcairport.com/assets/pd...a13Dec2017.pdf

Interesting stuff located in the AAB Agendas. I wonder if it
is possible to access the report mentioned on page 7
containing information on the largest unserved markets
top 20 international O/D markets? Does anyone want to
make a request to the AAB with the email linked on the
agendas page at AirportRecords@slc.gov ?

The report also says that China is the largest Asian market
from SLC but plans are restricted by the existing bilateral
agreement and its restrictions. Nothing was mentioned
about the upcoming DL/KE joint venture.
Pics By Jubguy3

Last edited by delts145; Jan 6, 2018 at 11:04 AM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 5:54 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Here's one of the more recently announced projects that has a better than average chance of materializing over this next year. Keeping my fingers crossed.

http://lccpropertiesgroup.com Conceptual rendering of the proposed 370 Millennium Tower. The developers are still working on the building’s final design. Image courtesy Held Properties.
I'm pretty stoked on this tower concept. However, I do wish they would change the "flat" aspect to east-west rather than north-south to prevent casting a massive shadow and to preserve at least a little approach view of the Cyborg Cube, which I think adds a great amount of low-rise interest to our southern skyline. It's similar to the WF Tower in that it will cast huge shadows in the afternoon, something that has negatively affected Gallivan Ave IMHO. Also I would like the narrower aspect to be visible from the west.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland View Post
I'm pretty stoked on this tower concept. However, I do wish they would change the "flat" aspect to east-west rather than north-south to prevent casting a massive shadow and to preserve at least a little approach view of the Cyborg Cube, which I think adds a great amount of low-rise interest to our southern skyline. It's similar to the WF Tower in that it will cast huge shadows in the afternoon, something that has negatively affected Gallivan Ave IMHO. Also I would like the narrower aspect to be visible from the west.
I hope it's a big success and makes these big projects easier to put together financially. This one really is the most important project in my mind right now. If it's a success it has the potential to change the way future projects are built. I hope it's not scaled down since this will affect the skyline apearance from the south just like the 99 west did from the north.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 2:59 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

I think there is still a for sale on the property where this millennium tower is supposed to go. That isn’t very encouraging.

I’ve decided that I’m not going to be optimistic about any project that doesn’t include greater then 50% stucco.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 3:12 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

SLC

Stucco
Lackluster
Construction

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epdesign View Post

Downtown, Main Street Photo Ops

Pics By EPDesign

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 2:04 PM

Downtown Updates - Residential growth continues around The Gateway

Isaac Riddle Reports - Full Article @ https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/pic...round-gateway/

Development around The Gateway continues full speed ahead as over 1,400 residential units are either recently completed or under construction within a block of the shopping and entertainment district, on the west side of downtown Salt Lake City. The surge of new residents should help Vestar, The Gateway’s owners, add more vibrancy to the district. The company is making strategic changes to The Gateway and is bringing in new tenants to transition the shopping district to more of an entertainment district...

Alta Gateway Station

The newly completed Alta Gateway Station apartments by Wood Partners sits just west of The Gateway between 100 South and 200 South taking up most of the west side of 500 West. Utilities along the project were buried and the parking structure is completely wrapped by residential units giving to engage the street level. A north/south mid-block walkway has been completed on the west side of the development breaking the block in two to enhance its walkability as further development occurs on the block. The four-story complex has 264 residential units and is now leasing.

The Alta Gateway Station apartments as seen looking south along the 500 West linear park. Photo by Mike Fife.

The Alta Gateway Station apartments as seen looking east on 100 South towards the Altitude on Fifth, part of The Gateway’s residential component. Photo by Mike Fife.

Hardware District Developments

Rendering of a portion of the Hardware District development

The Hardware District is a multi-phase, mixed-use market rate project under construction directly north of The Gateway, between 400 West and 500 West and North Temple and 300 North.

Developed by SALT Development, the project is two full blocks long and a block wide that is over 4 football fields long and two football fields wide.

The project includes three large residential buildings with 906 apartments, 42 townhomes and two commercial structures totaling 260,000 square feet of office space. The 4th West Apartments (in red on the site plan) and the dog park are completed. The Hardware West residential building is well underway and the Hardware East residential building is now rising above the ground...

The northeastern edge of the Hardware District Development as seen from 300 North. The project stretches from 300 North to North Temple. Photo by Mike Fife.

The north side of the under-construction Hardware West building as seen from 200 North. Photo by Mike Fife.

The under-construction Hardware East building. Photo by Mike Fife.

The Hardware District as seen from the North Temple Frontrunner Station. Currently, parking garages dominate the primary view from the FrontRunner Station.
The proposed commercial buildings will add new points of interest but will not hide the parking structures from the west. Photo by Mike Fife.

The historic Salt Lake Hardware building on the corner of 300 West and North Temple is the namesake as well as an incorporated element of the Hardware District development. Photo by Mike Fife.

Skyhouse Apartments

Rendering, Completed Skyhouse Apartments

Another project designed by Architecture Belgique (see also 4th West and North Sixth apartments in the immediate area) is under construction on North Temple at 300 West. The project, the Skyhouse apartments, is just north of the Triad Center, south of West High School and east of the Hardware District.

While the 240 unit market rate development will not have any ground floor commercial, the ground floor residential units will have back patios along the street. The two floors of parking are currently under construction and four floors of residential units will sit above the parking structure that will also be wrapped with residential units on the elevations facing 300 West and North Temple.

The southwest corner of the Skyhouse apartments on North Temple. Photo by Mike Fife.

The Salt Lake City Central Business District as seen looking east across the construction site of the Skyhouse apartments. Photo by Mike Fife.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 11:59 PM

We're finally getting a good rain today for the first time in ages here in Los Angeles. That should bode well for Salt Lake City and the Wasatch Front. A good rain in L.A. always seems to translate into some great skiing snow in Salt Lake. We need a lot more famous powder in those mountains.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 12:12 AM

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
I think there is still a for sale on the property where this millennium tower is supposed to go. That isn’t very encouraging.
The only signs on the property are those soliciting tenants. So not as much worry there.

In other news:

Lawn care scheduling firm picks downtown Salt Lake City for new home

https://www.sltrib.com/news/business...-for-new-home/

Quote:
TaskEasy selected a site on the northeast corner of 700 South and West Temple for its 39,500-square-foot office building.
It sounds like they are taking over the building from School Improvement Network after they were sold.

This will also help to make the block more tech oriented with the 2 Patrinely buildings being on the North side of the block.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 1:56 AM

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 4:21 AM
Ironweed

zoom=1.5625&resize=678%2C726&ssl=1[/IMG]
The Salt Lake City Central Business District as seen looking east across the construction site of the Skyhouse apartments. Photo by Mike Fife.[/CENTER]

.[/QUOTE]

In the last photo, we can see an ugly parking lot west of the Sky-house apartments. Are there any plans for it?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 6:48 PM

Island city - Utah Lake

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pencil View Post
^^^^^^

I’m usually pretty optimistic on projects but I don’t see how this could work at many levels. I appreciate there creativity though. Maybe a smaller project along the shore line. I think they have plans for a pretty large neighborhood there already. A few high rises on the shoreline would be pretty nice but that lake isn’t much of a positive feature up close. From a distance it looks like a lake

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 9:31 PM
Transit Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pencil View Post
That's Hilarious. It's like Dubai but Utah...

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 9:36 PM

Except I would rather go to Dubai! Anybody who thinks this could be a reality here is really something! We have a hard time building anything taller than 4 stories downtown, who's to think we can do this way out here! Plus when did they think Utah had Dubai type money! If we are going to do something ambitious I think we should try getting a real downtown before we move onto this! But its a good laugh!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West