HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 4:11 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Having concerns for traffic in Downtown Tempe is stupid, the traffic has been terrible for years already, it’s an urban area. If you don’t want to deal with traffic don’t live in an urban area.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
And, further, it's NOWHERE near as bad as other urban areas like DC, SF, Austin, etc. I mean just drive around most other large urban cores and Tempe is a dream...let's be real here about the issues and not dramatic.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 4:29 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingfast View Post
And, further, it's NOWHERE near as bad as other urban areas like DC, SF, Austin, etc. I mean just drive around most other large urban cores and Tempe is a dream...let's be real here about the issues and not dramatic.
...and also I have seen many Millennials driving a Prius and many Seniors driving a Corvette. This whole argument was stereotyped and a very silly.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 4:47 PM

Quote:
...and also I have seen many Millennials driving a Prius and many Seniors driving a Corvette. This whole argument was stereotyped and a very silly.
Totally agree why bring up some non issue it's just absurd to say the demographics of the traffic over by Barrett or where ever is going to be that much different then by University and Mill. Let's just applaud Crow on another ingenious service the University is involved in mixing the retired who want to continue learning with nursing students who will get practical everyday life experience. Just another win, win that makes ASU consistently #1 in innovation. Let the construction begin.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 5:27 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
It's not just the stereotyping -- it's also the victim blaming. If there's road rage, somehow it's the fault of the "old" driving slowly rather than the person acting out his or her rage. Anyone expecting fast moving traffic in Downtown Tempe is being unrealistic. Tempe can be its best self by offering housing for all ages in a multimodal urban environment.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 11:53 PM

One of Mirabella's features that will hopefully allay some of the concerns over the 'olds' getting too old or in the way:

Lastday, Capricorn 29's. Year of the City: 2274. Carousel begins.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 3:40 AM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTempe View Post
One of Mirabella's features that will hopefully allay some of the concerns over the 'olds' getting too old or in the way:

Lastday, Capricorn 29's. Year of the City: 2274. Carousel begins.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 5:57 PM

https://asunow.asu.edu/20180109-crea...m_campaign=asu

What is your take on this? I'm not a fan of the current library (at least the facade) so I'm all for a face-lift. To be honest, I've never been inside the place and thus stranger to its interior.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 7:57 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post

What is your take on this? I'm not a fan of the current library (at least the facade) so I'm all for a face-lift. To be honest, I've never been inside the place and thus stranger to its interior.
The original building was not iconic, but it was a reasonably pleasant and functional product of its time. The library became less attractive and less functional after its expansion in the 1980s. The original entrance at ground level was closed and replaced with the current underground entrance in the middle of an unshaded plaza. Much of the library's space and best features were hidden from casual visitors. A lot of decisions back then were based on the incorrect assumption that the inventory of printed materials would grow indefinitely, requiring maximum allocation of space to shelving.

I'm a little confused by this article, though. It's not clear to me if the student project was just that -- a theoretical exercise, or if parts are being incorporated into the actual renovation, which is already underway. Here's the site for the actual renovation project: https://lib.asu.edu/librarychannel/h...-you-need-know

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 8:46 PM

I graduated ASU almost 15 years ago. Back then, I used the library mostly for studying. I actually liked the dungeon aspect of it and had several spots in the basement and obe in the tower near a small window and an outside planter area that were "hidden" or "less traveled" that were very conducive to getting my homework done.

Aesthetically, I used to think the original 1966 "tower" was ugly, but I've grown to really appreciate mid -century architecture, so I think it's great now. I hope they do keep it mostly in tact. I used to think it was pretty cool that you went underground and ended up in that building.

I like the 1980s addition and entrance, but would be ok with it being updated. It's a very pretty area of campus... near the MU and the fountain, next to the 1940s Danforth Chapel, the 1960s library tower, the 1980s "grand" underground entrance, and some nice landscaping/ trees.

The rendering of the update of the lantern/ Hayden lawn and plopping a big building with ramps and what looks like solar panel structures is hideous. They just need to keep the lawn looking nicer. Most universities have and need some kind of grassy quad like that. Hopefully it really is just student project plans.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 1:11 PM

Monti’s a disaster

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ers/996481001/

Hasn’t the development window been surpassed? If they couldn’t get off the ground in this enconomic environment, then it’s not gonna happen. Seems like developer got in way over their head.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 3:07 PM
High Voltage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
I like the 1980s addition and entrance, but would be ok with it being updated. It's a very pretty area of campus... near the MU and the fountain, next to the 1940s Danforth Chapel, the 1960s library tower, the 1980s "grand" underground entrance, and some nice landscaping/ trees.

The rendering of the update of the lantern/ Hayden lawn and plopping a big building with ramps and what looks like solar panel structures is hideous. They just need to keep the lawn looking nicer. Most universities have and need some kind of grassy quad like that. Hopefully it really is just student project plans.
Agreed.

I really enjoyed hanging out around the Hayden lawn area during my time at ASU. Beautiful part of campus.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
I graduated ASU almost 15 years ago. Back then, I used the library mostly for studying. I actually liked the dungeon aspect of it and had several spots in the basement and obe in the tower near a small window and an outside planter area that were "hidden" or "less traveled" that were very conducive to getting my homework done.

Aesthetically, I used to think the original 1966 "tower" was ugly, but I've grown to really appreciate mid -century architecture, so I think it's great now. I hope they do keep it mostly in tact. I used to think it was pretty cool that you went underground and ended up in that building.

I gave up on ASU"s campus when they decided power generation machines AKA solar panels, an industrial devise, should be placed over campus walkways instead of trees and completely ruined whole parts of the campus.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post

Much of the underground lower level is now "learning studios" or as we all call them by classrooms, computer labs and study areas last I checked around 2011. They've minimized microform, journal and video collections parts of it.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 11:07 AM

Packet for The Hayden now posted: https://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=60871

Looks like hotel will be a Hyatt concept. Also, they are condos instead of rentals!!!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Packet for The Hayden now posted: https://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=60871

Looks like hotel will be a Hyatt concept. Also, they are condos instead of rentals!!!
Nice. Not the biggest fan of the looks of this one. But stuff always seems to have such an uphill battle in Tempe that I'm not gonna complain.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 3:55 PM

January 18, 2017

The Local.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post

Really hope this gets done. We need more buildings that high south of the mountain before ASU buys all the land and builds more 5-stories.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stutteringpunk View Post
Really hope this gets done. We need more buildings that high south of the mountain before ASU buys all the land and builds more 5-stories.
I love that this is not a full or half block mega project. Tempe seems to be getting that right. Same goes for the new hotel on Mill and the proposed building next to it. Great to see.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 1:21 AM

The Hayden looks really rad. Hope it happens.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest