HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
It was. But they are also building new cargo facilities out there as well.

The expansion should start any time now, and it's sorely needed. I have to fly United for work, so I'm there more than I care to be. Compared to the south end of T, the concessions are almost nonexistent. I'm hoping that will be addressed with the expansion.

And not sure when you were out on D last, but they've really improved it. I flew jetBlue recently, and I was pretty impressed with the changes out there.
I always thought C was pretty bad as well, but I've got to say the new renovations make both councourses pretty good look and tie in more with the rest of the terminal.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
And not sure when you were out on D last, but they've really improved it. I flew jetBlue recently, and I was pretty impressed with the changes out there.
I haven't been in a year or so. The main flaw is the lack of terminal width and how crowded it gets at certain times. They were extending some waiting areas but other than that it's a problem that's difficult to solve. I'm sure the ceiling fixes make it feel less claustrophobic though.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testarossa50 View Post
I haven't been in a year or so. The main flaw is the lack of terminal width and how crowded it gets at certain times. They were extending some waiting areas but other than that it's a problem that's difficult to solve. I'm sure the ceiling fixes make it feel less claustrophobic though.
It's much better. They've replaced the flooring, added a ton of new concession's and refreshed the gate areas. The concourse is still too narrow though for the crowds of people though.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 5:03 AM

Concourse D is the width it is because it’s what the airlines who were going to be housed there were willing to pay for. The other concourses are wider for the same reason, because Delta and Eastern operated hubs @ ATL so there needed to be wider concourses for the higher % of connecting passengers. There was a plan showing a major redevelopment of Conc D at some point but I’m not so sure it’s going to happen. It’s VERY expensive to widen and I just don’t know if the return on that investment is will carry the day. I think the other additions, including the new concourses on the east side, will happen first, and the renovations on D will have to suffice.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 4:32 PM
BANNED

Star Metal - Website Updated

The project must happen or I will have a stage 5 freak out. More pictures after the jump.

http://www.allenmorris.com/star-metals/

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 4:35 PM

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2018/1/16...l-turner-field

Hodgepodge Coffee & BBQ place by General Muir / Fred’s Meat & Bread / Yalla team coming to Summerhill.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 4:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
https://atlanta.curbed.com/2018/1/16...l-turner-field

Hodgepodge Coffee & BBQ place by General Muir / Fred’s Meat & Bread / Yalla team coming to Summerhill.
Not being asshole, but do believe this is want the neighborhood wanted more than jobs, affordable housing and higher ed opportunities? Or do you think the granola food hall mix hits the mark?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
Not being asshole, but do believe this is want the neighborhood wanted more than jobs, affordable housing and higher ed opportunities? Or do you think the granola food hall mix hits the mark?
Did you read the Curbed article fully understand the development process is starting with the smaller retail/restaurant tenant mix before bringing in the larger office/residential portions? Seems like it would be more difficult to lure in new office development when you don't even have a good place to go to lunch or dinner afterward.

Quote:
Carter owns about four blocks around the Georgia Avenue corridor, where plans call for new offices and apartments to join the boutique retail.

On the avenue itself, up to 10 retail slots could be fashioned from shuttered old buildings. One signee, local brewery Halfway Crooks, aims to start pouring by May or June in a two-story, brick structure on the north side of the street.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 5:25 PM

Quote:
One of my buddies owns in Grant Park \he says the community is starved for some more food options, so I'm sure Summerhill will draw in plenty of neighbors. I agree there should be more mixed use built in along Capitol Ave, but this does a good job creating a local focal point for the area where people can congregate, meet, and be merry. Considering multi-family and mixed use is pretty limited in this part of town in general, I am not shocked they started smaller scale. A new office building, apartment complex, or GSU expansion in the future will complement this well.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Star Metal - Website Updated

The project must happen or I will have a stage 5 freak out. More pictures after the jump.

http://www.allenmorris.com/star-metals/
Cannot wait to have these two go up! Especially once the GT project goes up as well.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 7:50 PM

^
hnngggg. i hope this one doesn't fade out...

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 7:58 PM

Quote:
The Summerhill neighborhood page seems happy about it. Think people are happy about having more food options than "Stadium Grocery". Also, these places do bring jobs and the rest of the redevelopment is bringing higher ed opportunities (GSU) and affordable housing. Not sure why we have a different standard for what we find acceptable to go in this development than others. This is exactly the type of tenants other developments are hoping to land. This all sounds great to me.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 8:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Cannot wait to have these two go up! Especially once the GT project goes up as well.
Then add all the stuff happening at Atlantic Station, the student housing, 790 West Marietta project, Selig's Works at Chattahoochee project and the residential project planned beside Bocado restaurant in West Midtown.

Everyone is crazy about O4W, but there is something I love about West Midtown. SA, where can I find info on when they plan to start the Beltline in the area? Once that happens this area will truly be on fire.

Also, does anyone know when they plan on completing Phases III and IV of the Peachtree Road in Buckhead?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 8:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
^
hnngggg. i hope this one doesn't fade out...
Bite your tongue cab-@$$-e. Will that MF'er to happen.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 8:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctk2014 View Post
Did you read the Curbed article fully understand the development process is starting with the smaller retail/restaurant tenant mix before bringing in the larger office/residential portions? Seems like it would be more difficult to lure in new office development when you don't even have a good place to go to lunch or dinner afterward.
I am just spit ballin here and trying to use some common sense, but it seems the residential portion of the development would have made the most sense to do first. In order for retail/restaurant to be viable, you have to have enough people in the community to support them and to make them successful. Just looking at Google maps overhead view and street view, it looks like the existing population in this area is spare.

By building the retail/restaurants first it just seems to be setting this area up for failure.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 9:10 PM

Quote:
I am just spit ballin here and trying to use some common sense, but it seems the residential portion of the development would have made the most sense to do first. In order for retail/restaurant to be viable, you have to have enough people in the community to support them and to make them successful. Just looking at Google maps overhead view and street view, it looks like the existing population in this area is spare.

By building the retail/restaurants first it just seems to be setting this area up for failure.
The retail is probably a loss-leader and/or probably has escalators attached to take advantaged of an improving business environment. It makes a lot more sense, from a development perspective, to seed the area with the lifestyle amenities demanded of tenants and residents of new office and residential rather than vice versa.

While the area isn't highly dense, it is filling out, and incomes are rapidly improving. The area is starved for neighborhood-oriented retail / restaurants and is easily accessible to the government employment located in South Downtown, a major demand driver for nearby restaurants during lunch.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Then add all the stuff happening at Atlantic Station, the student housing, 790 West Marietta project, Selig's Works at Chattahoochee project and the residential project planned beside Bocado restaurant in West Midtown.

Everyone is crazy about O4W, but there is something I love about West Midtown. SA, where can I find info on when they plan to start the Beltline in the area? Once that happens this area will truly be on fire.
I agree there is something about west midtown. I wish it was on a transit line and more connected to the rest of the city, though. Feels a bit isolated to me like buckhead. I have strongly considered moving to west midtown, i it’s think I’d miss being able to walk conveniently for miles.

NW beltline is probably the last to be implemented due to the railroad crossings. It doesn’t get love in the recent Atlanta transportation plan list, either. Even if they better connect west midtown with and develop around Bellwood quarry and proctor greenway, as well as build out northside drive BRT, the area is still a bit of an island due to GT and the railroads. Now if they developed all the industrial in knight park, put in a street grid (at the hypothetical redeveloped industrial sites), and provided some east/west dedicated lane transit... then I’d change my opinion. The area is something special though, particularly from a good mixed use perspective. Lots of entertainment options within a small area, which is rare for Atlanta. I see the area around Howell I’ll and Marietta street as a smaller, less transit accessible Peachtree, with better entertainment.

http://www.atlantastransportationpla...20-BikePed.pdf
http://www.atlantastransportationpla...nal_Report.pdf
https://vhb.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Map...c91dc739fc#map

Last edited by Street Advocate; Jan 17, 2018 at 2:12 AM.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 2:11 AM

They should just make a streetcar line go from 10th&Howell Mill right across town, hit the Midtown Marta station, and keep going down 10th all the way to Virginia & Highland.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briantech View Post
They should just make a streetcar line go from 10th&Howell Mill right across town, hit the Midtown Marta station, and keep going down 10th all the way to Virginia & Highland.
An option in the transportation plan is the NW line to be merged with the North Ave corridor.

Marietta BLVD -> West Marietta St -> 8th St NW -> North Ave -> PCM

As much as I want New dedicated lane transit, I’m not sure we know where the best place is to put in rail to maximize ridership. We are still creating nodes all throughout the city. I’d almost rather we implement BRT the next 5-15 years to see where things really pick up.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
An option in the transportation plan is the NW line to be merged with the North Ave corridor.

Marietta BLVD -> West Marietta St -> 8th St NW -> North Ave -> PCM

As much as I want New dedicated lane transit, I’m not sure we know where the best place is to put in rail to maximize ridership. We are still creating nodes all throughout the city. I’d almost rather we implement BRT the next 5-15 years to see where things really pick up.
I personally think the best/only way to add efficient public transit to West Midtown is via subway. The roads throughout the entirety of the west side are far to small to add any above ground transit that would get folks around any quicker than driving.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations