HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 11:52 PM

It'll sit vacant for years. If there was a large retailer eyeing the location, they would have scooped up the Target store years ago.

The two Costco stores and business centre were just wishful thinking. As I've been continually saying, no city (minus Saskatoon) of our size has two Costco stores. It doesn't make financial sense to have two.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
It'll sit vacant for years. If there was a large retailer eyeing the location, they would have scooped up the Target store years ago.

The two Costco stores and business centre were just wishful thinking. As I've been continually saying, no city (minus Saskatoon) of our size has two Costco stores. It doesn't make financial sense to have two.
Yeah I guess that's a possibility. Well at least traffic in that area will be bit better...

To be honest though it seems Newfoundlanders in particular LOVE Costco. That store always seems super busy. While the St John's population is below the normal threshold for having two stores I think they could have gotten away with having two.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 3:53 PM

The old Virginia Park Elementary school now has fence poles surrounding it- hopefully this means demolition soon?

Old Posted Jan 1, 2018, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
Yeah I guess that's a possibility. Well at least traffic in that area will be bit better...

To be honest though it seems Newfoundlanders in particular LOVE Costco. That store always seems super busy. While the St John's population is below the normal threshold for having two stores I think they could have gotten away with having two.
It's the same everywhere though. A second store isn't going to draw in enough new customers to offset the added costs of now two rents, two electric bills, two sets of taxes, etc. Ultimately you end up with two underachieving stores. People in Newfoundland have shown they'll drive however long as needed to get to Costco, so taking 10 minutes off the commute to go to another store won't matter.

The larger size of the new store will help alleviate the over-crowded nightmare of the current store.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
People in Newfoundland have shown they'll drive however long as needed to get to Costco, so taking 10 minutes off the commute to go to another store won't matter.
I'll be curious to see how many people in the east end adhere to their promise of not renewing their membership.

Also, does anyone know if they intend to keep the gas bar open at Stavanger?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 3:50 AM

Synond West Wetlands Proposed Development

Article from The Telegram on proposed development -

http://www.thetelegram.com/news/st-j...-again-174994/

Building on wetlands and creating more possible flooding issues is not a great idea. We need smarter development ideas than this.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 11:52 AM

Noticed yesterday site work beginning on the piece of land between Canadian Tire and Milestones on Hebron Way. Did a google search and found this:http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...on%20plans.pdf

Last edited by J_Murphy; Jan 19, 2018 at 12:21 PM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
and found this:
Save you a click, a four story office building with a 2 story parking garage behind. :-D

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 6:19 PM

I noticed that there has been a fair amount of work being done in the past few weeks on a site next to Roncalli Elementary in Airport Heights. What are they building? I believe it is zoned as institutional land use but I could be wrong.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopQuokka View Post
I noticed that there has been a fair amount of work being done in the past few weeks on a site next to Roncalli Elementary in Airport Heights. What are they building? I believe it is zoned as institutional land use but I could be wrong.
Long term care pretty sure

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 1:13 PM

Drove down Hebron Way the other day and it looks like the building with Party City in it is being expanded down towards the Dollarama building. There was a backhoe there.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 3:59 PM

looks to be 2 stores going there

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 11:20 PM

Developers of Aberdeen Square are going to great(questionable) lengths to advertise it...

https://www.reddit.com/r/assholedesi...g_ticket_in_a/

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 12:23 AM

I was at Costco today and one of the employees told me that they heard that the building was sold. She did not know who bought it. Anyone hear anything to this effect?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 9:58 PM

The new North Atlantic gas station at the airport is coming along nicely. They now have the exterior awnings and signage up on the Tim Horton's new location within the gas station. I don't see a separate entrance for the rumoured Subway there also. Perhaps it's located within the Orange Store itself. There's still fair amount of work being done there. I wouldn't be surprised if Tim Horton's opens before the actual gas station is finished.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...fd&oe=5B3297B8

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
The new North Atlantic gas station at the airport is coming along nicely. They now have the exterior awnings and signage up on the Tim Horton's new location within the gas station. I don't see a separate entrance for the rumoured Subway there also. Perhaps it's located within the Orange Store itself. There's still fair amount of work being done there. I wouldn't be surprised if Tim Horton's opens before the actual gas station is finished.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...fd&oe=5B3297B8

I heard U-Haul bought the Stavanger Drive Costco building. Anyone else hear this?

Old Posted May 5, 2018, 3:21 PM

Site chosen in St. John's for cannabis production facility:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...ohns-1.4649529

Quote:
The company chosen to supply legal cannabis to Newfoundland and Labrador has chosen a site for its local production facility, with an announcement planned for Monday.

An information note for the St. John's city council's planning and development committee shows the site is 390 Eastland Drive in the White Hills area of the city.

Old Posted May 5, 2018, 6:11 PM

Takeover won't take away familiar radio sound, says Newcap president

Well, so much for my theory...

CBC NL
May 5, 2018
Author: Unknown

Quote:
Listeners can expect to continue enjoying the radio stations they're familiar with, despite new ownership taking over at Newfoundland Capital Corporation, the company's president and CEO said.

The acquisition of Newfoundland Capital, which owns Newcap Radio, by Stingray Digital Group, isn't expected to lead to format changes at the stations involved, including VOCM, K-Rock and CFCB in Corner Brook.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...gray-1.4648721

EDIT: I posted this on the wrong thread. Mods please move to main thread. Thanks.

Last edited by statbass; May 5, 2018 at 6:19 PM. Reason: Move post to correct thread

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 7:18 PM

I think the new Orange Store/Tim Hortons at the airport may open today.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 2:10 PM

Burseys are in clearing land for the new KMK building on Sea Rose Ave (off Hebron Way). http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...Rose%20Ave.pdf

They are also clearing land behind Cdn Tire, not sure what is happening there but it is Burseys who has been doing all of KMK work.

Rumour that Passport Office and Exxon are headed down this way as well. Lots of office space going up, not sure if KMK has any anchor tenants yet for their new buildings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's