HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 2:41 PM
What could go wrong?

Hard to believe we can have a one page discussion on if Koya cooks food in front of you or not. Not complaining, I just find it funny.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 7:34 PM

i'd say we didnt do too bad!

There's 43 pages discussing if Portage an Main should be opened

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Hard to believe we can have a one page discussion on if Koya cooks food in front of you or not. Not complaining, I just find it funny.
I'll complain. It was depressing, but hilarious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post
i'd say we didnt do too bad!

There's 43 pages discussing if Portage an Main should be opened

Touche lol

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 2:36 PM
Ignore these four words.

Alycia's is coming back - new location, the Royal Albert Arms Hotel in the Exchange.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...472465043.html

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 6:04 PM

cllew is slipping.

Hawaii Kai has their name up next to Tim Horton's in CityPlace. From what is there looks like it will be a juice place similar to Booster Juice, etc.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
cllew is slipping.

Hawaii Kai has their name up next to Tim Horton's in CityPlace. From what is there looks like it will be a juice place similar to Booster Juice, etc.
Well I can say the new Tim Horton's on Narin Ave opened in the last few days.

I have been bringing my own lunch to work the last week or so due to food court fatigue so I havn't been down to the City Place food court level.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 5:02 PM

The construction hoarding is starting to come down around the old Foodie Goodie on Ellice and yesterday it the Garbanzo's awning was visible. Not exactly a surprise since it was previously known that CanadInns owned the property and had applied for a liquor license on the space under their Playmakers brand.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 5:05 PM

Quote:
The construction hoarding is starting to come down around the old Foodie Goodie on Ellice and yesterday it the Garbanzo's awning was visible. Not exactly a surprise since it was previously known that CanadInns owned the property and had applied for a liquor license on the space under their Playmakers brand.
Well now I'm sure Winners will want out. Yikes.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 5:14 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

^ That was always such an awkward location for Winners, IMO.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Well now I'm sure Winners will want out. Yikes.
Winners is going to the former Target space with their sister company Homesense.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 8:28 PM

Quote:
"quick, what brand is so bad that it could make people actually feel weirdly nostalgic for foody goody?"

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
"quick, what brand is so bad that it could make people actually feel weirdly nostalgic for foody goody?"
Ford Pinto. With either you will crash and burn.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 10:49 PM
Speak the truth, then run

I had lunch at the KFC on McPhillips yesterday. The food was good, the service was good, and the ambience was good.

But they really need to put a wine list up on the menu display. I didn't order wine with my meal, because I don't know what wine goes with KFC. Lost opportunity there.

Even NASCAR has its wines now - really - answering the age-old question of which wine goes with chili corn dogs.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 11:15 PM

Jokes aside Garbanzo has turned more into a sort of a weird board game pub. They even host competitive trivia nights from what I am told. It definitely has a spot in the market and isn't the same place you remember from your youth. It also makes sense that CanadInns is opening one by Polo Park as their Pembina location seems to have vanished...

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ That was always such an awkward location for Winners, IMO.
It made sense when they moved in there – there wasn't too much other big retail near Polo but not on the actual property. Home Depot/Chapters lot wasn't there, north St. James was mostly industrial, I don't even think the Canadian Tire/Best Buy area was developed like that. Winners has been there for quite a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
Winners is going to the former Target space with their sister company Homesense.
Yes this is why I mentioned that.

Quote:
Jokes aside Garbanzo has turned more into a sort of a weird board game pub. They even host competitive trivia nights from what I am told. It definitely has a spot in the market and isn't the same place you remember from your youth. It also makes sense that CanadInns is opening one by Polo Park as their Pembina location seems to have vanished...
It's only the downtown one that does things like that, and that's because it's the unofficial campus bar at UW. All the liquor and beer brands want to be involved in activities there because you're directly marketing to students. They all still have the same disgusting food and awful drinks though. That location is so big if they didn't do programming like this, it wouldn't survive.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 3:42 AM

Garbonzo's was good when the original owner (John Hewlet?) had the chain.

Unfortunately it got caught up in the Pizza price wars in Winnipeg and went under. At that time he had 6 or 7 different locations in Winnipeg. The one on Regent kept the Garbonzo's name for a bit as the store general manager bought that location from the receiver then changed the name over to CC Biggs with the same staff and most of the same menu items.

A few years later he sold the name (not sure how he kept that with the financial problems) and concept to Canad Inns and they have modified it since.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 4:39 PM

Interesting, last night they had more awning up and it is a Garbazno's/Playmakers combo location. This seems to hint Playmakers in the old Polo Park Inn next door could be relocating. It will be interesting to see what happens to that old space. Some dynamite and a complete rebuild might be appropriate. I stepped into that location about a year ago while at an event in the building and it smelled like an old smokey bar from before the smoking ban and it wasn't that someone had been smoking in there recently.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 10:12 PM

It looks like some work is being done in the City Place Food Court near the Meltwich space. Anyone know what is going in there?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid-Poster View Post
It looks like some work is being done in the City Place Food Court near the Meltwich space. Anyone know what is going in there?
I heard a chain called Bar Barrito is going in there. I think they are currently in the Northgate Shopping Center and the Outlet Center by Ikea.

The previous fast food place that was there had been up for sale for some time and I guess they didn't sell and left when the lease ran out.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 5:02 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan