HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
And speaking of FOR LEASE signs on malls, Portage Place does have a normal-sized sign on the corner of Portage and Carlton advertising a chunk of 2nd floor space.
Interesting, I hadn't noticed the sign on PP. Thanks for mentioning it. Perhaps another dental office or some such will fill it up and continue the transformation of the mall to low rent office building?

There's also all the space on the third floor - Imax and the old movie theatre. I guess that space is just mothballed for now?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
It blows me away how that just sits there with no for lease signs at all. And the windows are always being cleaned every month or so
At least somebody is spending money to try and make the building look presentable. A lot of owners just let the property go while they are waiting to lease/sell it.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
At least somebody is spending money to try and make the building look presentable. A lot of owners just let the property go while they are waiting to lease/sell it.
oh don't you worry, those clean windows let a passerby see the awful condition the interior space is in. ceiling tiles all over the flood, garbage, dust, etc. I would almost like if the windows were left glazed over with dirt than see inside.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 4:27 PM

Add DSW to the watch list of retailers that might show up in former Sears space. They are on a major push across Canada at looking in the 20,000 sq ft range.

Also in case I didn't mention it previously Microsoft Store and Apple Store could both be on those lists.

Finally came across news that Nordstrom is actively developing Rack stores in Canada, just none have opened yet although specific locations have been announced. Nothing for Winnipeg but it does mean they are having conversations on where to locate. It would be surprising if in their 5-10 year horizon at least one Winnipeg store wasn't in their plans, maybe even sooner.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 5:26 PM

I was internet averse the last week so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ So what drives a decision to "de-mall"? Reducing the property tax burden can't be the entire rationale?
$$$

Giving the tenant and the customer what they want. Northgate was a wasteland, and therefore quality tenants had no incentive to pay big rent and move in. Give the customer a fresh and more accessible environment (if you only have one store to visit, park right there. You don't have to find a spot, find the mall entrance, walk through the mall to the store and then reverse). Furthermore, it is easier to provide stores with greater clarity and exposure as noe EVERYONE can have exterior signage and parking.

A more appealing and customer friendly yields a greater willingness for tenants to spend on rent, ergo more profit. Wouldn't surprise me if rent has doubled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Strong View Post
Management fads.

"Power centers" - outdoor shopping malls - are a success story in the southern US. So obviously they should be here too. You know, because there's no climate difference that would make people prefer the indoors.

Now the fad is "Lifestyle centers", outdoor shopping malls with amenities oriented towards upscale consumers.

I say "management fads", because it seems to be the real estate managers who buy into them rather than the customers. I've yet to hear someone complain that the Polo Park experience would be a lot better if they were walking between stores outdoors in the winter. Or that friends eating in the food court had to choose one restaurant and one restaurant only so that they could eat together.

The Shops at Don Mills - a lifestyle center - opened on the site of the recently demolished Don Mills Centre shopping mall. McNally Robinson opened a store there at the same time as their store at Polo Park. Don Mills was a flop, while Polo Park was a success. But with both owned by Cadillac Fairview they couldn't exit one without exiting the other.
There is a very big difference between fads and trends. Basically, unless it's a colossus, the enclosed suburban mall is dead. Dead dead dead. And Northgate previously was deeeaaad. Polo isn't a remotely close comparison because it's the largest and best in the city, and too big a site. Furthermore, a large shopping centre is more likely to be a destination where shoppers visit multiple stores. Small suburban stores not so much, so why walk through an enclosed purgatory? Open it up!

Globally the trend has been to provide a more engaging outdoor experience, connecting stores with outdoor living spaces. Regardless of our cold climate, this is what global tenants respond to. If we say "but our climate" they'll skip past us and leave us another 10 years further behind.

Management doesn't buy into them, tenants do. Management does whatever makes the most rent, and that is attain the highest quality, highest traffic, and highest paying tenants. These tenants know what works for them globally... and while we're the coldest, we're not the only cold place. -25 here is like -5 elsewhere, so it's relative. But let's not forget that despite our complaining, we have other seasons. Unless it's the Eaton Centre in TO or Pacific Centre in Van, I prefer the outdoor space (usually not directly downtown anyway). As you said, it's prominent in successful American cities, and climate isn't the only factor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
Probably saves landlords the headache and time of having admin staff, repair, cleaning, and security of a mall, when that becomes uniquely the retail store's problem if they are a standalone building. All the landlords have to do is sit back and collect the lease money, maybe pay an admin secretary for it, and clean/maintain the parking lot
Some outdoor retail centres provide their own security as well. Indoor cleaning costs are save, but office staff is every bit as active. Repairs are still every bit as much of an issue also. Some failsafe's exist, such as HVAC failure in a standalone CRU now isn't shared with an entire mall, but it's also more expensive to build so many standalone buildings. Ultimateoly, the workload is no different. Well, it's higher considering that Northgate actually is 5x as busy as 3 years ago.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 6:00 PM

2nd level of st vital is getting a good life , winners and home sense. access is being built from old sears inside entrance

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 6:36 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanretail View Post
2nd level of st vital is getting a good life , winners and home sense. access is being built from old sears inside entrance
ugh boring how many of the same stores are we going to see in this city.

Id like to see Armani Exchange here.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 7:00 PM

^Realistically that's about as good as it would get up there without building out a full second storey of the mall. Need a destination space like GoodLife up there.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 7:30 PM

st vital almost had a higher end niche at one point. that seems to be safely gone as this mall has been struggling to attract whatever it can get over the past ~5 years. it's good to hear their sears spot wont be a huge void for long at least!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 7:39 PM

GoodLife makes sense for that spot, but that strikes me as a funny location for Winners/Homesense. It makes me wonder what's coming on the main level that Winners/Homesense got bumped up to level 2.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpG_GuY View Post
ugh boring how many of the same stores are we going to see in this city.

Id like to see Armani Exchange here.
well i want a Ferrari dealership and i'm going to stomp my feet till i get one!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 9:23 PM

There will always be some keenly-desired store or other that Winnipeg doesn't have, that's just the way it is. Fortunately online shopping more or less eradicates that problem.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
well i want a Ferrari dealership and i'm going to stomp my feet till i get one!
A/X is far from the Ferrari of clothing retailers, price point it's on par with Zara, Banana Republic, Club Monaco.
https://www.armaniexchange.com/ca

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 12:21 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post

Finally came across news that Nordstrom is actively developing Rack stores in Canada, just none have opened yet although specific locations have been announced. Nothing for Winnipeg but it does mean they are having conversations on where to locate. It would be surprising if in their 5-10 year horizon at least one Winnipeg store wasn't in their plans, maybe even sooner.
It was already previously mentioned by a poster a few weeks back that Nordstrom's was advertising for jobs in the Winnipeg market. Sounds like they will be here within a year's time.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 4:45 AM

Nordstrom is rolling out numerous Nordstrom Rack stores in Canada this year. Vaughan Mills opens in a few weeks. While Winnipeg is not on the coming soon list yet, I am fairly sure it will be in the near future. (If Heartland is getting one...)

https://shop.nordstrom.com/c/future-...or-link-canada

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
st vital almost had a higher end niche at one point. that seems to be safely gone as this mall has been struggling to attract whatever it can get over the past ~5 years. it's good to hear their sears spot wont be a huge void for long at least!
Considering the Polo Park Apple store was announced in 2009 I think any pretense that St Vital Centre once had that it was a "high end" mall disappeared more like 10 years ago.

I have said it before, St Vital Centre has a much better location in terms of proximity to the high end demographics but its smaller size is killing its potential. Lifting the lid and putting in a second floor and the structure in place for a third floor addition later if needed would definitely having a chilling effect on Polo Park. The challenge is CF is in a similar position and if it can pull off a Polo expansion that makes sense it could effective ice St Vital Centre for good.

As enclosed malls become more a one per city the size of Winnipeg one of the two is going to jump on the expansion they both need and secure their place. The challenge is both them would need to add significant parking spaces (per current Winnipeg by-laws) if they want an expansion and neither have the space to add more surface parking meaning any expansion at either location would require a much more expensive parking structure also be built.

--

Also I can't recall which retailer was doing it but one was advertising jobs locally years before they ever announced plans to come here. Part of the strategy can sometimes be fishing for more career retail people with better customer service, etc skills that you might offer a position in a different city with the prospect of training them to be a lead in an eventual Winnipeg location but first they will need to relocate to Vancouver, Toronto, etc for 12+ months.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 5:28 PM

Further to the St. Vital thing, I don't know how high end a mall anchored by Walmart and up until recently, Sears, could really be said to be.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 11:50 PM

So all of the signs were removed from McNaught recently... does that mean MAYBE something is happening?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 11:53 PM

I was off today and went to the new Lowe's store around lunch time. While the parking lot was full the store was less packed than I thought it would be.

As for the store itself its just another big box store. Nothing special in there that would cause me to drive again from EK to Lindenwoods to shop there.

They also seemed to have a case of Target inventory management as there were various spots in the store where the shelves were empty and the price slot marked with a sticker to indicate no stock. For a grand opening I would have thought they would have been able to get at least one case of everything to fill the shelves.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I was off today and went to the new Lowe's store around lunch time. While the parking lot was full the store was less packed than I thought it would be.
i wasn't even aware it opened yet! go there again on Sat PM and tell us if it's still empty!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan