HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 4:18 PM

Nice looking building for a grocery store.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
This is the most recent pic I could find of the new Harmons. Looks like it's opening this Wed. Anyone going over for the grand-opening, take some pics.

Is this in Holladay?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 8:31 PM

Look up at the street sign :-)

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 1:14 AM

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 1:47 AM

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 8:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullCircle View Post
Nice looking building for a grocery store.
Harmons has definitely impressed me with their recent grocery store designs.

We'll see how the Riverton store turns out, whether it's just the same as any other suburban grocery store or whether they go above what they really need to.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asies1981 View Post
While I love seeing so much new development around the valley it's such a shame the way it's going down. It's like we're copying Silicon Valley... building car dependent corporate campuses surrounded by surface lots in areas talent does not want to live in. I'm surprised urban planners have allowed this to still happen in 2017 with an existing transit network in place and studies that show cars being the primary contributors to our inversion problems.

We have so many surface lots and low density buildings in the urban core, could you imagine if all this boom along the I-15 corridor were concentrated around downtown!? We'd have a world class city!

Last edited by jetlag; Feb 21, 2018 at 2:41 PM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Harmons has definitely impressed me with their recent grocery store designs.

We'll see how the Riverton store turns out, whether it's just the same as any other suburban grocery store or whether they go above what they really need to.
When they announced the new Riverton store, they said it was going to be a new concept. Whatever that means. As for the design of the actual building, I imagine it’ll be pretty generic like their Station Park store built by the same developer.
Construction photos of Phase 1 of Mountain View Village show a generic strip mall, like Phase 1 of Station Park.

Last edited by Stenar; Feb 21, 2018 at 1:01 AM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 4:36 AM
Ironweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Is this in Holladay?
This store is very attractive with the brick. I love the old 1890's early twentieth century brick building design.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 4:38 AM
Ironweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
While I love seeing so much new development around the valley it's such a shame the way it's going down.

We have so many surface lots and low density buildings in the urban core, could you imagine if all the this boom along the I-15 corridor were concentrated around downtown!? We'd have a world class city!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 4:36 PM

Quote:
While I love seeing so much new development around the valley it's such a shame the way it's going down. It's like we're copying Silicon Valley... building car dependent corporate campuses surrounded by surface lots in areas talent does not want to live in. I'm surprised urban planners have allowed this to still happen in 2017 with an existing transit network in place and studies that show cars being the primary contributors to our inversion problems.

We have so many surface lots and low density buildings in the urban core, could you imagine if all this boom along the I-15 corridor were concentrated around downtown!? We'd have a world class city!
Amen to this! We need a developer with some balls to start building in more gritty urban areas. These places can be so much more interesting. The city needs someone with vision and some money. Seattle's South Lake Union innovation district started in such an area.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 5:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Amen to this! We need a developer with some balls to start building in more gritty urban areas. These places can be so much more interesting. The city needs someone with vision and some money. Seattle's South Lake Union innovation district started in such an area.
Yeah, IMO this needs to be a government move, to stop permitting the construction of office buildings that will employ 1000's of people in car dependent locations and instead give incentives for building centrally and embracing existing transit.

I'm assuming developers are putting up all these generic office buildings in Sandy, Jordan, Lehi, etc... because land is cheap for them, but imagine the bill tax payers will foot later to integrate those projects into public transportation networks. Not to mention the issue of adding so many extra drivers to our smog trap valley. I suppose this is the same issue that plagued almost every US city in the 40's and 50's but it's 2018! We should know better by now!

How much of the last 5 years worth of development looks like this?

vs this?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 7:47 AM

It has been a while since I have posted, but I have to share a project that was just approved in Lehi. I didn't see that there was a Utah County page anymore so hopefully this is the right place to post!

Perry Commercial is going to start construction on a 9-story office building near the Mountain Point Medical center. It is definitely a move in the right direction and it is located near one of the planned Trax stations. The city is working on a master transit plan in hopes to better plan for Trax and hopefully work towards an extension sooner than the current 2035-2040 plan, and part of the plan would be to have better transit supportive land uses.

Here are some renderings:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ux0Y8YzjBh4S1xr43

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Wt0isD3TPezoLuQB3

https://photos.app.goo.gl/efOu2Jtgd3mMq4tt2

Imagery source: Perry Commercial

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 10:29 PM
Exit 298

Mature cities are the ones paying to mitigate the effects of sprawling office parks. They roll out zoning rules which developers find onerous.

Young cities are hungry for the business. They dangle the carrot of "no rules" and the developers go for it every time. The young city builds out and becomes a mature city, but the foolish city leaders of yesteryear are retired or dead.

By the time Lehi figures this out, the new hot sprawling development sites will be Stansbury Park, Payson, and Honeyville. Lehi will be stuck with the bill.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
Mature cities are the ones paying to mitigate the effects of sprawling office parks. They roll out zoning rules which developers find onerous.

Young cities are hungry for the business. They dangle the carrot of "no rules" and the developers go for it every time. The young city builds out and becomes a mature city, but the foolish city leaders of yesteryear are retired or dead.

By the time Lehi figures this out, the new hot sprawling development sites will be Stansbury Park, Payson, and Honeyville. Lehi will be stuck with the bill.
...And we'll all continue to choke during inversions.

Well put.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 9:57 AM

Good to see you post again Mike. The new Provo MSA Thread is the old Utah Valley Thread. We asked them to merge the two. Unfortunately, a moderator either out of pure pettiness or just stupidity erased the Provo Thread completely instead of putting it in the archives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highrise_Mike View Post
It has been a while since I have posted, but I have to share a project that was just approved in Lehi. I didn't see that there was a Utah County page anymore so hopefully this is the right place to post!

Perry Commercial is going to start construction on a 9-story office building near the Mountain Point Medical center. It is definitely a move in the right direction and it is located near one of the planned Trax stations. The city is working on a master transit plan in hopes to better plan for Trax and hopefully work towards an extension sooner than the current 2035-2040 plan, and part of the plan would be to have better transit supportive land uses.

Here are some renderings:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ux0Y8YzjBh4S1xr43

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Wt0isD3TPezoLuQB3

https://photos.app.goo.gl/efOu2Jtgd3mMq4tt2

Imagery source: Perry Commercial

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 5:52 PM

Quote:

1. There's not many (good) urban planners in Utah. Even in SLC.
2. They don't have any real say do they?

I was told by some people I know who work at Pluralsight that they were considering Gateway, but decided against it in the end. A large amount of the employees live in Davis/Weber counties so they're either going to have to relocate, quit, or get used to looong commutes.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
1. There's not many (good) urban planners in Utah. Even in SLC.
2. They don't have any real say do they?

I was told by some people I know who work at Pluralsight that they were considering Gateway, but decided against it in the end. A large amount of the employees live in Davis/Weber counties so they're either going to have to relocate, quit, or get used to looong commutes.
Bummer. That would have been a great addition to downtown but i'm sure the economics were just more attractive somewhere else. The fact we have so many jurisdictions so close by makes this even more complicated. Even if SLC stepped up it's game and got serious, I could imagine them telling a company "here's a tax break if you put your HQ downtown", then Lehi responding with "come down here and do whatever the hell you want, we don't care."

Could anything be implemented at a state level? I have little doubt what we are doing now is going to make this place a disaster in 25 years if population projections hold.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 9:09 PM

Harmon's Holladay Market is officially open for business.

There are additional buildings (commercial and condos) that will surround the other sides of the parking lot that are still under construction.

I really dig the way Holladay Village is coming together and I only wish this key project would have put the parking out back and buildings curbside along Holladay Blvd to look more "villagey" and less like a strip mall.

Last edited by jetlag; Feb 25, 2018 at 9:34 PM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 2:22 AM

the state is getting ready to sell the prison land. It is 700 Acres. We should all write our state congressman(likely old Mormon dudes) extolling the brilliance of Brigham Young, Joseph Smith, and the plat of Zion. Let's sell this in 10-acre chunks. Let's put in a grid system. Let's preserve some right of way. Let's do this a little better than we did Lehi.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West