HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskOttaLoo
Went to a Denver Saskatchewan game this weekend. Was my first time seeing a NLL game. Man, what a fun time! I really enjoyed how the game flows. It was previously unbelievable to me that Saskatoon and Denver could be in the same tier in any sport given their respective sizes, so that was fun to see. More of a surprise was to see that of the around 40 players across the two teams, only 2 were from the US (both from NY state). The rest were all from Canada and of those, all were from Ontario and BC except 2 from Alberta. Who knew how dominant Canadians are in lacrosse! I looked up the league and it's from Pennsylvania. Wonder why no one in Canada founded a lacrosse league first, given that it's a national sport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The NLL needs to get its games on TV. I seem to recall they were on Sportsnet at one point?
you can live stream games at http://nlltv.com/

I think its more likely that Shaw would buy the rights to televise NLL lacrosse games, Kind of like how Shaw will televise games of the WHL hockey...the same league that has the Saskatoon Blades and the Seattle Thunderbirds...

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Never heard of an actual organized party to watch NFL games other than the Super Bowl. I guess it might exist somewhere with someone...
I mean the playoffs are a big thing with a lot of people watching and talking about it... not that there are playoff parties - although I know a few people who have get-togethers to watch the playoffs... but I'm sure that doesn't happen often.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 6:48 PM

if anyone is a SC2 fan, canadian esports player Scarlett is currently killing it in Korea.

she won the Pyongchang tournament and is currently laying a beat down in the GSL which is the top Korean league.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
I mean the playoffs are a big thing with a lot of people watching and talking about it... not that there are playoff parties - although I know a few people who have get-togethers to watch the playoffs... but I'm sure that doesn't happen often.
My brother is a huge Vikings fan and has people over to his man cave for every game. I'm sure there are hundreds, if not thousands of those gatherings going on every NFL Sunday across Canada.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 9:34 PM
Registered Drug User

As a kid goaltender who stopped watching hockey a long time ago, I've nevertheless maintained my curiosity about the evolution of goalie equipment. Somehow I happened upon the website of the Norwich Merchants, a small-town junior C team about an hour southwest of Hamilton, and found an annual team photo page going back 50 years.

http://www.norwichjrcmerchants.com/team-photos.html

The first season a goalie shows up with non-brown pads, blocker and catcher is 1988-89. After that it's pretty much only multi-coloured equipment. Does that seem about right with nationwide trends?

Another thing I noticed is that the crease at the bottom of the pads gradually gets more vertical around that time. I've always found that odd-looking, because when I was playing in the 70s and early 80s it was absolutely imperative for the pads to have as deep an angle as possible, essentially an L-shape.

I never bought a pair of pads at Kenesky's in Hamilton (way too expensive), but all of us kids who were goalies were aware of the store's towering reputation in the field, and any gossipy mention of someone's purchase of goalie equipment from Kenesky's was met with reverence and awe.

Quote:
In 1924, Emil "Pop" Kenesky was credited with the invention of a new and better goalie pad.

http://www.keneskysports.com/history.html
Interesting stuff, and part of Canada's cultural history.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 9:43 PM

^Stuffed with kapok. I remember reading that when I was a kid.

When Pearl Harbour was attacked and those who were convened in Washington to now plan the war, they took up an inordinate amount of time discussing kapok and trying to figure out what the hell it was used for. (Courtesy John Kenneth Galbraith - The World at War - On Our Way)

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 10:03 PM

Good doc online from The Nature of Things - Champions vs Legends about what if you gave a modern athlete the equipment of someone in the past and compared their performances.

Included is a small bit about Carter Hart getting an old blocker and trapper and having to face Shea Weber with a wooden stick. Hart wouldn't go for it in the part testing the slap shot (I don't blame him).

The Nature of Things - Champions vs Legends

What if the greatest elite athletes – present and past – could compete against each other on a level playing field? If competitive conditions were made equal, would today’s stars come out on top? Or would they be beaten by the heroes of the past? Renowned sports scientist Steve Haake investigates whether today’s winter sports champions are really better than those of the past or whether they get their edge from modern sports technology.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmobile View Post
Honda Indy ... Toronto... Have to wonder how long the race will go on with all the development at Exhibition Place. I think the race would look good at Canadian Tire Motorsports Park.
The agreement with the race promoters for the Toronto Indy was renewed for three years (2018-2020), although it acknowledges possible future projects like a "Hotel Phase 2" or expansion of the trade centre could get in the way or cause it to be cancelled.

I already go to Mosport/CTMP for two weekends a year, World Challenge in May and IMSA in the summer, and I hope the IndyCar race continues to be at Exhibition Place. If it became impractical there, I like this idea of using Downsview Airport in the same way that Edmonton and Cleveland used airports when they had their IndyCar events, where much of the track could be seen from a good grandstand seat. The new Downsview Park TTC subway and GO Train station is very close to there. However, I suppose Bombardier Aerospace may not necessarily be interested in allowing the airport to be used for an auto race for one weekend a year, and presumably all or most of any potential layout would require new pavement. And there's no guarantee that all of the present sponsors and ticket buyers would continue at what some of them might find to be a less exciting location farther away from downtown Toronto.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 12:31 PM

More of an F1 guy than Indy, but now that they ruined the F1 engines and are no longer ear piercing, I rarely watch it. I've been to two Molson Indys and nine Cdn GPs.

I went to Mosport probably a couple times when I was young to watch the sports cars. And most recently a few years ago to try out the go kart track.

I find myself watching old Can Am videos at Mosport from all the way back to Bruce McLaren's days. What an awesome track.

If Indy moved there, I'd love to go check 'em out on that balls to the walls track.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 3:27 PM
It's Hammer Time

Would anyone know a good site to find old pictures of the Montreal Forum? I'm trying to learn more about Maurice Richard, especially the riot in 1955.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 8:00 PM

Lots of pics here

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 4:06 PM
It's Hammer Time

Found an amazing video Maurice Richard and the riot in 1955, a great visual piece of Quebec and Canadian history, some argue it was the beginning of the Quiet Revolution

Un jeu si simple from National Film Board
http://www.nfb.ca/film/un_jeu_si_simple/

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 7:12 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Lots of pics here
It actually looked like this once? Boy did they ever butcher this place.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 7:57 PM

You've heard of Five Man Electrical Band, how about Five Man Zamboni

Gas-powered tractor resurfaces Montreal Forum ice in 1930s. (Scorched glass negative)

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
The Montreal Forum 1908-1996
Jeff Seide /thehockeywriters.com December 6, 2017

It Started as a Roller Rink

The name “Forum” came from the original roller skating rink that occupied the site at the northeast corner of Atwater and Saint Catherine West.

The Forum was actually first used as a roller rink that encircled an outdoor rink. This was built in 1908 by Joseph-Alphonse Christin and stood until 1923 when what most regard as the old forum was built.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 8:00 PM

There's less than a month to go until the Commonwealth Games start in Gold Coast, Australia.

I was somewhat disappointed to learn that the Canadian broadcaster is DAZN, a streaming service. So in the likely event that you aren't a DAZN subscriber, you'll have to pony up to watch these games.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

They should probably just tear the eyesore down now.

source: https://postmediamontrealgazette2.files.wordpress.com

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 8:42 PM

^ It still looked decent in its last hockey configuration from 1968-1996... it was the 1997 changeover to a theatre that really did the Forum in. Now it just looks stupid and garish.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
There's less than a month to go until the Commonwealth Games start in Gold Coast, Australia.
Holy smoke, really? I'd never have known, wow it's sad to think of how big it and the PanAms used to be in the public eye.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Holy smoke, really? I'd never have known, wow it's sad to think of how big it and the PanAms used to be in the public eye.
It does seem that along with the Pan Am Games, the CWGs don't really register much outside of the host nation anymore.

It's a bit sad that the major broadcasters can't be bothered to provide any coverage anymore... the only reason I even knew that they were about to start is because I'm planning a trip there and it's on all the tourist information materials.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada