HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 4:53 PM

Café Molise update

https://www.sltrib.com/artsliving/fo...-on-400-south/

"The owners are leaving their space near the Salt Palace Convention Center to make way for a possible development that also could encompass the now-vacant building that housed NakedFish (and later Ikigai)."

"I've felt pressure for two or three years to relocate," said Fred Moesinger.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 5:44 PM

(waits for someone ((okay, my dad)) to say "the homeless centers are too nice, I wish I could live in something that nice")

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 12:05 PM

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 2:57 PM
SLC Lifer

Salt Lake City just got absolutely STEAMROLLED by the classic old "Utah Legislature board wipe". DETAILS HERE.

- SLC loses a board position and West Valley City gains one.
- Board claims 100% of tax increment. Amazing.
- SLC need to call the Governor and beg him to veto.

The increment out is very shaped and contoured to reject current tax increment structure. This is the state taking city land right here. Here is the tax increment language:

Part 6. Property Tax Differential

601 11-58-601. Authority receipt and use of property tax differential -- Distribution of
602 property tax differential.
603 (1) (a) The authority may:
604 (i) subject to Subsections (1)(b) and (c), receive up to 100% of the property tax
605 differential for up to 25 years, as determined by the board and as provided in this part; and
606 (ii) use the property tax differential during and after the period described in Subsection
607 (1)(a)(i).
608 (b) With respect to a parcel located within a project area, the 25-year period described
609 in Subsection (1)(a)(i) begins on the day on which the authority receives the first property tax
610 differential from that parcel.
611 (c) The authority may not receive property tax differential from an area included within
612 a community reinvestment project area, as defined in Section 17C-1-102, under a community
613 reinvestment project area plan, as defined in Section 17C-1-102, adopted before March 1, 2018
614 from a taxing entity that has, before March 1, 2018, entered into a fully executed, legally
615 binding agreement under which the taxing entity agrees to the use of its tax increment, as
616 defined in Section 17C-1-102, under the community reinvestment project area plan.

FULL SHITSHOW HERE.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slc.guy View Post

Isaac, have you heard anything more about the scheduled meetings with CCH stakeholders you reported on a few weeks ago?

"Litvak assured the neighborhood council that plans for the Convention Center Hotel (CCH), a proposed 750-to-1000-room hotel with convention space, are progressing despite the lack of construction activity. The Deputy Mayor cited several planned meetings over the next couple of weeks with the project’s stakeholders that could produce new information and dispel any myths that the project is dead. She added that if the meetings are successful, a final deal could be announced in the next few months."

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 7:26 PM

State legislature yet again sticking it to the capital city out of spite. Awesome.

I thought this article was pretty cool. Based on these data, it sounds like SLC will have pretty large heat island effect.
http://www.labmanager.com/news/2018/...2#.WqGGxmrwa70

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 8:23 PM

In reading some comments on the various sources about the Inland Port, I ran across something that the City should honestly consider:

De-annex the land. Since they won't see any tax revenue from the port, they wouldn't be able to provide police or fire services to the area.

Anything that is already built or under contract before March 1, keep in the city. The rest of the land, revert it to the County and let the County and State pay for the various services.

This would keep the Prison (for the 0.5% sales tax increase), wetlands, Amazon Center, International Center, Post, Stadler, UPS, Airport and more but the empty land can just go away.

Without a Veto and a special session to actually work through the bill with the City, I think SLC should seriously consider this.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 11:45 PM

Salt lake city makes its mark on the global architectural map

I'm surprised no one has posted this yet. Pretty cool!
https://www.wallpaper.com/architectu...y-architecture

Last edited by Orlando; Mar 9, 2018 at 3:01 AM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 11:47 PM

Food Alley

I thought someone had posted this before, but wasn't sure.
http://kutv.com/news/local/salt-lake...-alley-in-2019

Maybe someone can post the other images.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
In reading some comments on the various sources about the Inland Port, I ran across something that the City should honestly consider:

De-annex the land. Since they won't see any tax revenue from the port, they wouldn't be able to provide police or fire services to the area.

Anything that is already built or under contract before March 1, keep in the city. The rest of the land, revert it to the County and let the County and State pay for the various services.

This would keep the Prison (for the 0.5% sales tax increase), wetlands, Amazon Center, International Center, Post, Stadler, UPS, Airport and more but the empty land can just go away.

Without a Veto and a special session to actually work through the bill with the City, I think SLC should seriously consider this.
I was thinking the same thing. Also, it would mean that Salt Lake would have a more accurate population density measurement.

Here's BSL's (mine) editorial on the NWQ highjacking.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 5:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nushiof View Post
Isaac, have you heard anything more about the scheduled meetings with CCH stakeholders you reported on a few weeks ago?

"Litvak assured the neighborhood council that plans for the Convention Center Hotel (CCH), a proposed 750-to-1000-room hotel with convention space, are progressing despite the lack of construction activity. The Deputy Mayor cited several planned meetings over the next couple of weeks with the project’s stakeholders that could produce new information and dispel any myths that the project is dead. She added that if the meetings are successful, a final deal could be announced in the next few months."
Not yet, but based on Litvak's timeline we shouldn't worry until end of April/early May if there is still no announcement.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asies1981 View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Also, it would mean that Salt Lake would have a more accurate population density measurement.

Here's BSL's (mine) editorial on the NWQ highjacking.
Issac, do you get the sense that Jackie is widely disliked by legislators and/or the Governor? While I am very mixed on my opinion of her leadership and vision or lack of it, I haven't heard much regarding her relationship with people except for the tense one she has with the council. I agree that the state does not have a proper view of the capitol city and how it benefits all of us, but I wonder if their is a view that we have feckless or dysfunctional leadership that doesn't have its act together and that helps justify and drive the steamrolling of the city.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny in SLC View Post
Issac, do you get the sense that Jackie is widely disliked by legislators and/or the Governor? While I am very mixed on my opinion of her leadership and vision or lack of it, I haven't heard much regarding her relationship with people except for the tense one she has with the council. I agree that the state does not have a proper view of the capitol city and how it benefits all of us, but I wonder if their is a view that we have feckless or dysfunctional leadership that doesn't have its act together and that helps justify and drive the steamrolling of the city.
She has a tense relationship with anyone who disagrees with her on anything. Even little things. So pretty much everyone has a tense relationship with Jackie.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinginformed View Post
She has a tense relationship with anyone who disagrees with her on anything. Even little things. So pretty much everyone has a tense relationship with Jackie.
I used to work for the Utah AIDS Foundation over a decade ago and we were running a fundraiser and contacting local leaders as part of the fundraiser. I was assigned the responsibility of contacting her. Just calling her on the phone was one of the most tense phone calls I've ever engaged in. Apparently, she's just a very tense person.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 2:33 AM

^^^^

Strange a personality like that would move up the chain in local politics. When is she up for re-election?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
^^^^

Strange a personality like that would move up the chain in local politics. When is she up for re-election?
SLC's Mayoral elections occur in the off-year elections. Her election was in November of 2015 and the next Mayoral election will be in November of 2019. If she lost her incumbent election the next mayor would take office in about 21 months.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 5:02 AM

SLC possible future location for Apple's 4th Campus

According to the article it Apple won't announce until later in the year.
Let's hope that our state government doesn't F it all up.
http://gephardtdaily.com/local/apple-campus-slc/

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanskeUtahn View Post
According to the article it Apple won't announce until later in the year.
Let's hope that our state government doesn't F it all up.
http://gephardtdaily.com/local/apple-campus-slc/
This would be great and really good for the state. Even if it is unlikely. The good thing about this one is Apple isn’t trying to get cities to grovel. Some of the cities were pathetic. It was like watching the Bachelor, which is painful.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 2:33 PM
SLC Lifer

Jackie is a great lady. A true pioneer in Utah. An openly gay married lady with kids is our mayor! But for whatever reason, her and the city council locked horns. They all have the same political beliefs, the same goals, yet they just can't get in sync. This is a microcosm for the entire city government. SLC is now suffering and bleeding for its sclerotic and backwards ways. Top to bottom not doing its job. Losing its left arm (read: the entire NW quadrant) this session should be a wake up call. It was a really bad read on their part. The last draft of the bill was really good and they should have taken it. If I was in the room, having seen the sleazy and gross legislative process up close and personal for the last three years, I would have told them this was coming. The men on the hill have no respect for anybody or anything but themselves and Herbert is just an absolute drooling, booger-eating goober. They do have a chance to redeem themselves. Sometimes in the dev world you have to just toss your hat in the ring and file a gold old-fashioned lawsuit. Sue the state, refuse municipal services and and hold their ground. Lock it up. Get an injunction and ride that horse to the supreme court if you need to. Opportunity costs will pile up, every greasy broker on the hill that had a build-to-suit deal lined up for their brother-in-laws and uncles will tense up real quick. Purchase contracts and MOU's have deadlines. Deals will fail. Brows will furrow. Some early indications that maybe Jackie and the council will do just that:Here is the latest Dnews article on the subject, still a headline on their front page (SL trib = not a peep). Anybody else noticed the weak sauce coming from the Trib lately, especially since they pay-walled annoyingly? Hello Trib, any action on the most pressing issue for SLC in a decade or so?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 2:46 PM

For the inland port from the SLTrib:

‘I hope they get fired’: Utah senators blame Salt Lake City lobbyists for controversial inland port negotiations; mayor, council call for veto of bill

https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...-veto-of-bill/

Quote:

Three Utah senators criticized Salt Lake City and its lobbyists Friday over a controversial bill that the city denounced. One of the lawmakers went so far as to say the lobbyists should be fired.

The measure, Senate Bill 234, would create the Inland Port Authority, an agency that would oversee the establishment of an international trade hub to be built in the northwest quadrant of Salt Lake City.

It also spawned anger in the mayor’s office, which denounced the final version of the bill. Mayor Jackie Biskupski on Thursday wrote that the bill usurped the city’s taxing and zoning authority and “compromised environmental protections.” On Friday, she reiterated her opposition to the bill, saying it “undercuts local control and gives an unelected, unaccountable board authority.”

The three senators, all Democrats from Salt Lake City, were disgruntled by the passage of the bill and how it was negotiated by city lobbyists.

“We believe much could have been done by a serious, concentrated, and inclusive team approach, rather than the uncommunicative, closed strategy used by the city,” the senators wrote in a letter, which was drafted March 8 and intended for Biskupski and the City Council.

The letter was signed but not sent.

One of the letter’s authors, Sen. Jim Dabakis, said on Friday evening that he and his fellow letter writers, Sens. Luz Escamilla and Gene Davis, were “frankly annoyed,” about being left out of the negotiations.

But the mayor’s deputy chief of staff, David Litvack, said that exclusion wasn’t the city’s choice. The decision of whom to include, Litvack said, was made by the Senate sponsor, Jerry Stevenson, R-Layton. Stevenson did not respond to request for comment Friday.

And Ken Bullock — who, along with Lynn Pace, lobbied for the city in negotiations — communicated with Escamilla “continuously” via phone calls, text messages and two meetings throughout the legislative session, Litvack said.

There were two meetings early in the legislative session and three text messages — one on March 2, one the morning of the vote and one the day after the vote — regarding the Inland Port Authority, Escamilla said Friday evening.

Other than that, she said, she wasn’t included in conversations “at all.”
Article continues below
Related Articles
Becker softens stance on sales-tax increase connected to prison
Salt Lake City can’t build an inland trade hub by itself, Utah leaders tell the City Council, so let’s work together Salt Lake City can’t build an inland trade hub by itself, Utah leaders tell the City Council, so let’s work together
State’s inland port plan for northwest Salt Lake City is news to city leaders — and they’re not happy State’s inland port plan for northwest Salt Lake City is news to city leaders — and they’re not happy
State legislation coming to push inland port in undeveloped northwest Salt Lake City after wary city leaders just OK’d their own plan State legislation coming to push inland port in undeveloped northwest Salt Lake City after wary city leaders just OK’d their own plan

“We were told everything was OK,” Escamilla said, “that it was handled.”

Dabakis said he was out of the loop.

“We get not only no communications but they also didn’t get the job done, either,” Dabakis said. “Bad on both counts.”

He would have cajoled his colleagues, he said. He would have begged and bargained and demanded.

“Truth is, I may be overstating my ability to influence,“ he said. “But, I’ll tell you, if I had known about [the negotiations] ... we would have ended up with a much better deal than we got from these lobbyists who are simply arrogant and think that they can just go in there and do everything.”

In the letter, he and the other two senators called the result the “worst possible outcome for the city.”

“For the third consecutive year, we would like to emphasize that we, Senators elected to represent Salt Lake City, believe the city is very poorly represented by paid lobbyists at the Capitol,” the letter continued. “Indeed, we think they do the city harm.”

Dabakis went further Friday afternoon.

“I hope they get fired,” he said.

The three senators spoke to Biskupski in person about their frustrations, Escamilla said, and told her about the letter.

Gene Davis declined to comment on the letter, which he said was not meant to be public.

But Dabakis uploaded a photo of the letter to Facebook on Friday afternoon, along with a post calling Pace and Bullock “ineffectual.”

The city defended its government liaisons Friday night.

“This has nothing to do with our lobbyists, who were working with the state in a good-faith effort to find a path forward which worked for everyone,” said Matthew Rojas, director of communications for the city, in a text message to The Salt Lake Tribune. “This was a blindside attack not only on everyone at City Hall but to the people of Salt Lake City and their elected officials.”

Biskupski and the City Council on Friday evening urged Gov. Gary Herbert to veto the legislation.

“Council members have extreme concerns with the bill, which undercuts core city functions, such as taxing and certain land use authority, from the City,” the council wrote in a news release Friday evening. “The bill also puts more than one fourth of land within the City under control of a majority non-elected Board instead of City leaders, elected by residents to represent the interests of the public. Council leaders say the bill could set a bad precedent for any city in Utah.”

All seven members of the City Council oppose the bill, the release states, for a “long list of reasons.”

After four substitutions, the final version of the bill, “with many key changes, did not receive a public hearing and was passed late at night in less than an hour after it was released,” the release continued.

“We are urging all Utah residents to contact Governor Herbert to veto SB234 because it is an unprecedented land and power grab of nearly 22,000 acres,” Biskupski wrote in a Friday evening news release.

According to Litvack, the city was surprised by the bill’s whirlwind passage through the Senate and the House on Wednesday night.

“Up until Wednesday night at 10 p.m.,” Litvack said, “we thought we had an understanding with the senate sponsor, that we had one change left that we wanted on the bill that he had said to us he supported, and we thought we were there. I don’t know what happened to cause the change.”

On the morning of the vote — when Bullock sent one of the text messages to Escamilla, saying everything was OK — the city anticipated that the bill would be sent to a conference committee, according to Litvack.

“Ken did a tremendous job in getting us to where we thought we were in a very good position, and then something totally out of our control changed,” Litvack said. “And I wish I knew what it was.”

The state’s quest for an inland port in the northwest quadrant was no surprise, said former Salt Lake City Councilman Stan Penfold. “The surprise is [that the Biskupski administration] wasn’t ready,” he said Friday afternoon.

City officials have seen this coming for more than a year, Penfold said. There were indications as far back to 2016 that the state was thinking up an inland port near the soon-to-be built state prison and Salt Lake City International Airport.

“But the Biskupski administration just brushed it off,” Penfold said.

By the time the 2018 legislative session opened, he said, the inland port was a done deal.

“I’m disappointed in the mayor and the lack of leadership by the mayor,” he said. “It takes a strong and politically savvy leader at the city to make sure we aren’t trampled on by the state. I haven’t seen anything at all from the mayor.”
If this is quoting too much, please let me know and I can edit it down.

I do expect a lawsuit to happen nearly immediately after the Governor signs the bill (if he signs).

What was done in the bill won't stay in its entirety and things will change, of that I am sure.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West